FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#336139 --- 03/08/06 08:04 PM Just the fax
zipdrive Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY
I have 2 all-in-one printers. Both have fax capabilities. One is an older Xerox WorkCentre that I had been using successfully as a fax, and the other is a newer Dell A960, which I have never tried as a fax. Recently I switched to digital phone from Time Warner. Does anyone know if either of these machines will work as a fax with the new digital phone line? The folks at T-W say some will work and others won't. I know I can hook it up and try it, but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

FingerLakes1.com
#336140 --- 03/08/06 08:18 PM Re: Just the fax
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Highly doubt it.

#336141 --- 03/09/06 11:13 AM Re: Just the fax
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
I never thought of it not being compatible. Thanks for mentioning it. Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't you just attach a scan or file of the document to an email? Just curious. I would also like to know if you can fax using VOIP without a problem. Thanks again for bringing this up.

#336142 --- 03/10/06 08:04 AM Re: Just the fax
pctech11 Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I have faxed several times with Time Warner VOIP with no problems

#336143 --- 03/10/06 10:45 AM Re: Just the fax
Grey Rider Offline

Loc: hither and yon
I have a question about faxing, too.
I have an old external fax modem. The hard drive that had the software that allowed me to "print" to the modem for faxing died and I can not find the disk so I can install the software on the new hard drive. Does any one know where I can get some software to let me do this again?
I occasionally have to do some business with a company that seems to be stuck in the 1980's, technologically speaking, and faxing them is the quickest way to get a hard copy to them.
I have gone to the web site for the fax/modem maker and all they have is the driver software for pre-XP OS's.

#336144 --- 03/10/06 10:49 AM Re: Just the fax
Ivor Dane Offline

Loc: Born - Boston, England
I fax all the time through Vonage (I know it's different, but still VOIP). Ha sproblems sometimes, but usually goes through.

#336145 --- 03/10/06 10:49 AM Re: Just the fax ff
Ivor Dane Offline

I fax all the time through Vonage (I know it's different, but still VOIP). Ha sproblems sometimes, but usually goes through.

#336146 --- 03/10/06 11:14 AM Re: Just the fax, please
Grey Rider Offline

Loc: hither and yon
Um, okay Ivor Dane, thanks, but how does that answer my question?
It is not the connection to my phone service that I have a problem with, it is the ability to convert say a MS Word document and directly fax it from my PC like I used to do.
All I used to do was select the "Print" command from the "File" pull down, tell it to print to the fax/modem and the faxing software would start and I would then input the destination fax number.

#336147 --- 03/10/06 03:35 PM Re: Just the fax, please
Ivor Dane Offline

you should be able to detect the modem in XP do you see it in devices in the control panel (phone and modem) then set it up in printers and faxes - sorry my original reply was to the other person.