Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#27381 --- 09/14/04 09:14 AM Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
I know its early but......

G-Mac back from summer of rest
Time and intense rehabilitation have healed SU guard's injuries.
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
By Mike Waters
Staff writer
He's OK and willing to talk about the injuries now, but back during the 2003-04 season Gerry7McNamara McNamara kept everything under wraps.

The injured shoulder. The pulled groin. The stress fracture in his pelvic bone.

From Our Advertiser

McNamara sealed his lips and tightly wrapped his aching body, never missing a game as Syracuse advanced to the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.

"I didn't let out that I hurt really bad," McNamara said recently. "Once you get out there, there's no excuses. You have to fight through it."

So McNamara gritted his teeth. He stretched his tender left groin before every practice and every game. He ignored the pain that shot through his left leg every time he landed after taking a jump shot. He applied ice to his right shoulder after every game, looking like a pitcher who had just thrown 120 pitches.

While most of his Syracuse teammates spent the summer playing ball and working on their games, McNamara rested.

"I had to take a required two months off," McNamara said. "I didn't start running until the end of July. I didn't play any basketball until the beginning of August."

McNamara injured his groin in a Jan. 20 game at Seton Hall. He suffered the injury in the first half of the game.

"I told Coach (Jim Boeheim) I wanted to give it a shot," McNamara recalled. "In halftime warmups, I took a jumper and I couldn't land on the leg."

At the time, McNamara was

averaging 17.1 points per game. His end-of-season average was 17.2.

However, the injury affected his shooting accuracy. In the 15 games prior to Seton Hall, McNamara made 41.7 percent of his shots - 37.5 percent of his 3-point shots. In the next 12 regular-season games, McNamara dipped to 32.7 percent - overall and from 3-point range.

The decreasing shooting percentages weren't all due to McNamara's injured groin. The slump coincided with the heart of Syracuse's Big East Conference schedule and the midseason departure of starting point guard Billy Edelin.

McNamara's groin injury worsened as the season progressed.

"It needed extended rest to heal," McNamara said. "If you play, it makes it worse. During the season, that isn't an option."

Eventually, the muscle began pulling away from the pelvic bone, creating a stress fracture. The injury wasn't dangerous, but it was painful.

"I've had some tough injuries, but that was without a doubt the most difficult to get through," McNamara said. "It wasn't just playing or practicing. It was day-to-day. If I sneezed or coughed, it hurt."

McNamara's right shoulder also hurt. He had separated the shoulder as a high school sophomore, giving him what's referred to as a "loose shoulder."

McNamara couldn't pinpoint an exact play or even the game when the shoulder began to bother him last year, but by the end of the season, "it felt like it was just hanging," he said.

It's amazing to think that McNamara scored 24 points against eventual national champion Connecticut in a 67-56 win over the Huskies at the Carrier Dome. Or that 11 days after suffering the strained groin against Seton Hall he scored 26 points on 6-of-14 shooting from 3-point range against Virginia Tech. Or that he scored 43 points against BYU in the NCAA Tournament.

As he did with the injured groin, McNamara played on despite the bothersome shoulder. After the season ended, he was faced with a choice: surgery or rehabilitation.

"There were differing opinions over what I should do with the shoulder," McNamara said. "One was to have surgery and see what's in there. I'm not a big surgery guy. The other was to rehab it. I chose three months of strengthening and conditioning."

In his summer away from basketball, McNamara lifted weights religiously. He put on 10 pounds. He's lost six since returning to the basketball court, but his upper body looks much larger.

Time and intense rehabilitation have healed McNamara's body. He continues to work with SU's strength and conditioning coach Todd Forcier on stretching exercises to improve the range of motion in his hips. His weightlifting regimen targets his chest and shoulders.

"I feel good," McNamara said. "I work with Todd a lot. We do a lot of stuff for the shoulders and hips, trying to balance me out. We're working on my mobility.

"I'm ready to go. If the season started today, I'm 100 percent ready."

Following his extraordinary sophomore season, a healthy McNamara is saying something. Of course, an injured McNamara wouldn't say anything.

2004 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

Now seeing what a good year he still had with all these injuries what kind of year will a healthy G-Mac have? I feel those goose bumps starting again.....

FingerLakes1.com
#27382 --- 09/14/04 01:37 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
maroon27 Offline

Loc: Auburn, NY
I read that article today and for the first time since last March I began to get real excited about SU hoops. If G-Mac is 100% healthy I think we're in for a historic season from the best player in college basketball.

#27383 --- 09/28/04 08:32 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Only 34 more days to go until the first SU Hoops game!!!!!

2004-2005 Season preview

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#27384 --- 09/28/04 09:48 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Besides SU, what are the other really good teams going to be that SU has to play? I need to decide now what games I'm going to attend. I was thinking UConn and Pitt.

#27385 --- 09/28/04 11:19 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Notre Dame, Providence and Seton Hall should be good games.

It will be interesting to see how the new head coach of Georgetown does and what the crowds reaction in SU will be when they come to the dome I've got my fingers crossed for a return to the good old days with the Georgetown/SU rivalry.

#27386 --- 09/28/04 11:22 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Oh and then there is also the game with the turncoats.....

#27387 --- 09/28/04 11:49 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
compton23 Offline

Is the best player in college basketball thing a joke? Just wondering.

#27388 --- 09/29/04 07:53 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Edelin declared ineligible for fall semester
Pending appeal, SU guard must complete requirements to be eligible by December.
Wednesday, September 29, 2004
By Mike Waters
Staff writer
What was generally known for quite some time now became official on Tuesday when Syracuse University officials announced that Billy Edelin would be ineligible for the first semester of the 2004-05 academic year.

Edelin, a junior guard on the SU basketball team, will be allowed to practice with the team until he regains his eligibility. He must sit because he does not meet the NCAA's academic eligibility requirements concerning the minimum number of credits.

Edelin, who withdrew from classes last semester for undisclosed personal reasons, has filed a petition to the NCAA for a waiver to the minimum creditrequirement. His appeal is still pending, and a favorable ruling could restore his eligibility im- 7Edelin mediately.

Advertisement

"We anticipate hearing (from the NCAA) by the end of October," SU's director of compliance, Jamie Mullin, said Tuesday.

Edelin played in 17 games and averaged 13.8 points and 5.2 assists before leaving the team last season.

If he completes his academic requirements this fall, he would become eligible once final grades are posted in mid-December.

Further complicating Edelin's academic situation is that his academic progress is being evaluated based on his enrollment at Syracuse University in the fall of 2001. Although he was suspended from the university in the fall of 2001 for the rest of the academic year, his NCAA clock started ticking that year.

He took the 2001-02 year as a redshirt year in terms of athletics, but he's considered a fourth-year student by the NCAA and must have the minimum number of credits for a senior rather than a junior. The NCAA's requirement is based on at least 12 hours per term. In that case, Edelin needed to have passed 72 credit hours before the start of the current term.

Edelin remains a junior in terms of athletic eligibility. Once he becomes eligible again, he will be able to play this season as well as the 2005-06 season.

2004 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

If he does make it back will he be a help or a hindrance?

#27389 --- 09/29/04 08:08 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
oh boy, here we go again... the last thing this team needs is more off court distractions. I have faith the coach will keep the team focused and not dwell on this issue....if he does make it back, he's a solid point producer and it can only help in the long run, even if he's 6th or 7th on the depth charts...

#27390 --- 10/15/04 12:36 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Syracuse starts out ranked 11th. Uconn 8th.

http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/vcolumn040801Preseason-Top30.html

#27391 --- 10/15/04 12:44 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

I like this one better SU at #5!! Uconn 7th
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1901038

#27392 --- 10/15/04 12:49 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

"Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup."

Could we actually see a couple power slam dunks from the 7 foot white guy this year????.....oooooo I'm getting all goose bumpy and giddy

#27393 --- 10/15/04 01:03 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup.

I havent heard this anywhere else. Has anyone?

#27394 --- 10/15/04 01:05 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Quote:

"Keep an eye on: Forth. The word out of Syracuse is that he has done wonders with his conditioning. If he turns out to be a force inside then Warrick will benefit and Syracuse will be tougher to defend offensively. Forth was an afterthought on offense but if he could become more of an option, then the Orange are a harder matchup."

Could we actually see a couple power slam dunks from the 7 foot white guy this year????.....oooooo I'm getting all goose bumpy and giddy

yes goose bumps definetly definetly goose bumps!!!!

#27395 --- 10/16/04 09:03 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Eddie Offline

Loc: Out in the ozone
Beyond Forth at center, McNamara as the 2 and "X" as what, small forward, who are the other projected starters?

#27396 --- 10/16/04 09:51 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Forth, McNamara, Hakim, J. Wright and Nichols

Pace, Roberts, McCroskey and D. Wright subs....

what do you think? Close or way off...

#27397 --- 10/20/04 04:58 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Mr. Edelin is back. The NCAA has given their blessings for him to play this semester. Oh boy the possibilities.......

#27398 --- 10/20/04 07:16 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I am surprised they overturned the decision, Gio. Nothing has seemed to go this kid's way ! It's finally time for Billy to use it to his advantage !

#27399 --- 10/20/04 08:33 PM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Gio Offline
Gold Member

according to the news report they were impressed with the progress of his grades.

#27400 --- 10/21/04 09:33 AM Re: Syracuse basketball '04-'05
Eddie Offline

Loc: Out in the ozone
DOES Edelin plan to play this year or is he going to disappear again like he did last year. We never did find out what that was all about but his vanishing act hurt the team, witness G-Mac doing double duty. Will he be welcomed back?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >