FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#251334 --- 10/31/05 10:27 PM Zip Zappin Baptismal
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone

WACO, Texas (AP) -- A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his church Sunday morning when he adjusted a nearby microphone while standing in water, a church employee said.

The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was stepping into the baptistery as he reached out for the microphone, which produced an electric shock, said University Baptist Church community pastor Ben Dudley.

Water in a baptistery usually reaches above the waist, said Byron Weathersbee, interim university chaplain at Baylor University.

Lake was pronounced dead at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, nursing supervisor Pat Mahl said. The woman being baptized apparently had not stepped into the water and was not seriously injured.

Pastors at University Baptist Church routinely use a microphone during baptisms, said Jamie Dudley, the wife of Ben Dudley and a business administrator at the church.

"He was grabbing the microphone so everyone could hear," she said. "It's the only way you can be loud enough."

About 800 people attended the morning service, which was larger than normal because it was homecoming weekend at nearby Baylor University, Dudley said.

Lake had been at the church for nine years, the last seven as pastor. He is survived by his wife, Jennifer, a 5-year-old daughter and two 3-year-old sons.

At a remembrance attended by about 1,000 people Sunday night at First Baptist Church, Ben Dudley told the UBC congregation that they would move forward as a church.

"I don't know how, when, why, where or what's going to happen, but we will continue as a church in the community because that is what Kyle would have wanted," he said.

FingerLakes1.com
#251335 --- 11/01/05 03:58 AM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Wow. Guess he found out the answer.

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#251336 --- 11/01/05 04:40 AM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
Yea, he took the short cut didn't he.

#251337 --- 11/01/05 01:54 PM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
LOL BIG TIME!

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#251338 --- 11/01/05 05:12 PM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
japh Offline

Loc: Out of my Mind
You know, I was thinking, and this story about the baptismal electrocution kinda sums up what's wrong about a lot of religious practice currently. The preacher reached for the mic so everyone else could hear him.

I guess it's crazy for something like a baptism to be about the person being baptised first and foremost. I remember when my wife and I got married. The chaplain specifically told us not to worry about saying our vows loudly, because it wasn't about the audience... it was about us.

Imagine if that preacher had been primarily concerned with the baptism, rather than wowing the crowd.

#251339 --- 11/01/05 06:10 PM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Quote:

Yea, he took the short cut didn't he.

I guess they don't teach science and the conductivity of electricity in Bible College?

#251340 --- 11/01/05 07:46 PM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
corruptionfightr Offline

Do you think this was a result of "intelligent design?"

#251341 --- 11/01/05 07:56 PM Re: Zip Zappin Baptismal
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Quote:

Do you think this was a result of "intelligent design?"

In water..touched electrical apparatus....does sound too intelligent to me.