FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210361 --- 08/03/05 09:01 AM Atkins going bankrupt?...
almostrelieved Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
For those of you wondering or haven't heard, go to www.atkins.com and click on the press release from August 1, 2005. They are just reorganizing their company, mainly concentrating on the bars and shakes production. I bet Dr. Atkins is rolling over in his grave about this...

FingerLakes1.com
#210362 --- 08/03/05 09:13 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
maybe people figured out you don't have to buy a book to learn you only eat meat and cheese.

#210363 --- 08/03/05 09:16 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
almostrelieved Offline

Actually you do need to read and learn-obviously you need some education yourself-Atkins diet is more than just meat and cheese-you can still eat carbs but you have to limit them. Need any books, I have some you can borrow. I did the Atkins for 3 months and lost 25 pounds. At first it was hard to do since this whole diet thing was new to me. Once I completed the Induction Phase, it was a breeze-wish I had stayed on it...need to lose a lot now. Oh well.

#210364 --- 08/03/05 09:17 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
According to the press release "Atkins" was battling a berage of complaints for the fat content in their diet.

#210365 --- 08/03/05 09:22 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Della Offline
Gold Member

Quote:

Actually you do need to read and learn-obviously you need some education yourself-Atkins diet is more than just meat and cheese-you can still eat carbs but you have to limit them. Need any books, I have some you can borrow. I did the Atkins for 3 months and lost 25 pounds. At first it was hard to do since this whole diet thing was new to me. Once I completed the Induction Phase, it was a breeze-wish I had stayed on it...need to lose a lot now. Oh well.

thank you for the offer and this is not meant as disrespect but I would prefer to not give myself clogged arteries to lose weight. I'll eat fruit and veggies with lean meat and exercise. May be slower but in my opinion a whole lot healthier.

#210366 --- 08/03/05 09:30 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
almostrelieved Offline

My parents have been on this diet for years and their arteries are just fine. All of their lab values are right where they should-all "normal", not to mention my mom is now a diabetic but that's from genetics (family history).

#210367 --- 08/03/05 09:34 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Della Offline
Gold Member

Atkins can also cause a diabetic-like condition. I'm sure it works for some people but what about the people whose genetics would lead to heart disease or stroke?

#210368 --- 08/03/05 09:37 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Quote:

My parents have been on this diet for years and their arteries are just fine. All of their lab values are right where they should-all "normal", not to mention my mom is now a diabetic but that's from genetics (family history).

Lab values wont show a clogged artery...just cholesterol. Unless they had a arterial scan done, or catherization, how would you know their arteries were "fine". This is not an oridinarty test, unless they showed symptoms of something being horribly wrong...like a mild heart attack or stroke...high blood pressure..or something that would make a cardiologist look at doing a risky catheterization.

#210369 --- 08/03/05 10:20 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
justlurkin Offline

Blame it on all the fatties from Ovid. If only they just had supported Atkins!

#210370 --- 08/03/05 10:47 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
KatBurglar Offline

Loc: Sneaky Falls
anybody that knows anything about a healthy diet should know that eating that much meat and fat WILL eventually lead to heart disease. You may lose weight in the beginning, but you cannot do Atkins for your entire life or it will be a short-lived one for sure.

#210371 --- 08/03/05 12:17 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Personally, I cannot imagine living on the Atkin's diet. I personally think it is better to eat a balanced meal. If you want to lose weight, you can still eat the foods you like, but you need to learn moderation. That and exercise...

The one thing I can honestly say I have noticed about the Atkin's diet is everyone that I know that has done it, lost weight, but as soon as they stopped the diet, they gained it right back. Lesson: Learn to eat correctly and stick with proper dietary habits.

#210372 --- 08/03/05 12:47 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Hola Offline

Quote:

Atkins can also cause a diabetic-like condition.

Just curious where this info comes from? I'm interested in reading up on that.

#210373 --- 08/03/05 01:09 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I would guess it has something to do with the lack of carbs, therefore lack of sugars, resulting in a decreased amount of insulin being created by the body.

#210374 --- 08/03/05 02:04 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Della Offline
Gold Member

bingo...my info came from my endocrinologist

#210375 --- 08/03/05 02:14 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

And if my logic and information is correct from my doctor, when the body gets to a point where it doesn't produce the insulin, your glucose levels begin to rise causing the diabetes to occur.

#210376 --- 08/03/05 02:14 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Della Offline
Gold Member

absolutely right

#210377 --- 08/03/05 02:17 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
People don't seem to undestand that Atkins is a weight loss plan. A diet. Not a nutritional plan. While Atkins et al claim there are no long-term ill effects, plenty of independent research shows otherwise - and did before Atkins was even Atkins. We've known for a long time that fatty foods hurt your heart.

Atkins is a weight loss program which is different than healthy eating behaviors. I doubt you would find very many nutritionists who would allow a client to stay on Atkins for any extended period of time.

#210378 --- 08/03/05 02:18 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Della Offline
Gold Member

Quote:

years seems kinda long term to me

#210379 --- 08/03/05 02:41 PM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Quote:

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard....but they are from Waterloo.....Gee I wonder why she developed diabetes.....

#210380 --- 08/04/05 09:14 AM Re: Atkins going bankrupt?...
almostrelieved Offline

So you know my parents huh? Well do you know their whole family history then? Probably not and yes they used to live in Waterloo but were not from Waterloo. My dad graduated from Mynderse!!!!!! So...if you would like to know why my mom got diabetes then please PM me and I will be more than happy to give you a family history, that I can remember and go back...As far as being stupid, they've lost weight and have kept it off. Atkins is a lifestyle as with any diet. Going on and off the diet thing is not healthy. Any diet works. You first have to consult your MD then LEARN about all the available diets there are, then choose the one that best fits your lifestyle. Yes eating in moderation and exercising are the way to go but if you have other health risks, then diet alone may be the only way. You just have to be motivated to lose the weight you want to lose and stick with it! I wish I could get on some kind of diet right now-it would help me have another child-easier than taking all these drugs (long story with this-please don't ask!).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >