FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#202286 --- 07/16/05 10:29 PM Firefox Update Problem
zipdrive Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY
Today I installed the Firefox 1.0.5 update on 2 machines - a laptop running XP Home and an older machine with 98SE. Both machines have Norton Internet Security 2005 running with matching settings. Version 1.0.4 ran great on each. All's well with the XP machine after today's update. Everything is working as before. But on the 98SE machine, I can get to AOL as usual and I am able to open Internet Explorer, but I cannot get to anything else on the Internet, including bookmarks unless I disable Norton Internet Security. I get a message that says the site cannot be found and to check the spelling and try again (spelling is not an issue). If I disable N.I.S., everything is fine again. Any thoughts on what I might try to resolve this? Thanks.

FingerLakes1.com
#202287 --- 07/16/05 10:39 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Quote:

Today I installed the Firefox 1.0.5 update on 2 machines - a laptop running XP Home and an older machine with 98SE. Both machines have Norton Internet Security 2005 running with matching settings. Version 1.0.4 ran great on each. All's well with the XP machine after today's update. Everything is working as before. But on the 98SE machine, I can get to AOL as usual and I am able to open Internet Explorer, but I cannot get to anything else on the Internet, including bookmarks unless I disable Norton Internet Security. I get a message that says the site cannot be found and to check the spelling and try again (spelling is not an issue). If I disable N.I.S., everything is fine again. Any thoughts on what I might try to resolve this? Thanks.

Is that message coming from your domain-name server, or from NIS? Might the latter be configured incorrectly, set to block everything except the sites you are able to reach? That's what I'd check. Does it have an "ask me" option that should be enabled? Does it require you to allow access to each specific domain-name server that you might use? I'd check that, too.

Don't use Norton myself, so I can't help much.

#202288 --- 07/17/05 07:53 AM Re: Firefox Update Problem
zipdrive Offline

The message does not seem to be coming from NIS. I have Google set as my homepage in Firefox and the message comes up as Firefox tries to open it. I have checked the setting in Firefox and NIS for items like you mentioned, but I cannot find anything that might cause this. I have also compared the settings on the 2 computers and they seem to match. I'll look through them again to be sure. Thanks. Anyone else have a thought on this?

#202289 --- 07/17/05 08:52 AM Re: Firefox Update Problem
AbuDhabi Offline

It does sound as though NIS is blocking your DNS lookups. Try this: Open a command-line window and type "ping [any URL]" without the quotes and substituting any URL for [any URL], like this:

ping cnn.com

ping yahoo.com

etc.

The ping program should return numerical IP addresses, thus:

Pinging cnn.com [64.236.16.20] with 32 bytes of data:

(more crap deleted)

If your ping command does not return a numerical address, you have a DNS-lookup problem.

You can confirm this by taking the cnn numerical address (above) and typing it into your browser window (without the brackets).

If you get an error message, try it again with /index.html appended to the numbers.

If you can connect to the web site that way, you have a DNS-lookup problem fer shur. Try this and see what happens.

Do all of this crap both with and without the firewall engaged.

Oh, something else just popped into my head: Check your proxy settings in the browser. Maybe you should do that FIRST. ;-)

#202290 --- 07/17/05 12:56 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
japh Offline

Loc: Out of my Mind
Yes, all of this is clearly easier than just using a *nix.

#202291 --- 07/17/05 01:09 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Loc: TOV Seneca Falls
*nix does not ever have dns issues? *nix does not ever have configuration issues ? and never ever when being configured by a novice.
AMF

#202292 --- 07/17/05 01:15 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
I've got half a dozen computers sitting inmy garage that would probably not even finish installing Linux. Yet XP, Server, 2000, etc. all work and install on them noi problem.

Hell half of the Linux variants posted here on FL1 won't even successfully install under Virtual PC, which uses generic hardware drivers.

#202293 --- 07/17/05 02:02 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
japh Offline

Quote:

*nix does not ever have dns issues? *nix does not ever have configuration issues ?

Certainly not because of overbearing "security" software. I have a software and hardware firewall, run Linux, and I've never had a DNS problem that resetting the router didn't fix.

#202294 --- 07/17/05 02:20 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
japh Offline

Quote:

Quote:

*nix does not ever have dns issues? *nix does not ever have configuration issues ?

Certainly not because of overbearing third-party "security" software made necessary only by security flaws in the rest of the software I use. I have a software and hardware firewall, run Linux, and I've never had a DNS problem that resetting the router didn't fix.

#202295 --- 07/17/05 02:33 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Quote:

Certainly not because of overbearing "security" software. I have a software and hardware firewall, run Linux, and I've never had a DNS problem that resetting the router didn't fix.

You need to start thinking before you respond. What about the 5 other people that use Linux surely one of them has had a problem.

#202296 --- 07/17/05 04:36 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
AbuDhabi Offline

Quote:

You need to start thinking before you respond. What about the 5 other people that use Linux surely one of them has had a problem.

Yeah, I sure do, but then I'm a dumbass. One advantage to Windoze is that you can often bull your way through it even if you don't know anything. Just keep poking around long enough and you have a fair chance of stumbling across a solution.

With 'nix, you have to actually KNOW something.

#202297 --- 07/17/05 05:33 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
japh Offline

Quote:

With 'nix, you have to actually KNOW something.

Or... ummm... be as clueless as any Windows user and consult the friendly user communities that support many popular distributions of Linux and other *nix platforms.

There are lots of incredibly friendly and patient people out there with technical knowledge who get a kick out of helping people with problems.

Edit:

If you stay in a bad situation because you think you're too stupid to adapt to something else... well that's just ridiculous. At the worst, you go back and you're no worse off than you are now. At best, you maybe find something better, and discover that you are a bright individual capable of adapting.

Edited by japh (07/17/05 07:55 PM)

#202298 --- 07/17/05 10:35 PM Re: Firefox Update Problem
AbuDhabi Offline

Quote:

There are lots of incredibly friendly and patient people out there with technical knowledge who get a kick out of helping people with problems.

Helpists.

#202299 --- 07/18/05 12:21 AM Re: Firefox Update Problem
japh Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Helpists.

I like it!

#202300 --- 07/18/05 05:46 AM Re: Firefox Update Problem
zipdrive Offline

Well, I did indeed stumble around a bit more in NIS and found a place where all the site and programs where listed along with the way in which NIS firewall was configured to handle them...always block, never block, etc. I just fixed the ones I use and that took care if it. I have no idea why this happened when I installed the Firefox 1.0.5 update. Thanks for your comments, everyone.

#202301 --- 07/18/05 06:28 AM Re: Firefox Update Problem
AbuDhabi Offline

Quote:

Well, I did indeed stumble around a bit more in NIS and found a place where all the site and programs where listed along with the way in which NIS firewall was configured to handle them...always block, never block, etc. I just fixed the ones I use and that took care if it. I have no idea why this happened when I installed the Firefox 1.0.5 update. Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Ah! Another possibility is that the firewall didn't recognize the new Firefox as the Firefox that it knew previously, which it isn't.

#202302 --- 07/18/05 06:33 AM Re: Firefox Update Problem
AbuDhabi Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Helpists.

I like it!

It's from Florence King. Reflections In A Jaundiced Eye, 1989. You'll laugh your ass off.