FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1547755 --- 05/09/20 02:03 AM Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
I keep reading stories from Ontario, Cayuga and Wayne county municipalities on planning for the budget shortfalls and increased costs due to the pandemic. There are stories about furloughs, layoffs, budget adjustments, delays in projects, transfers from reserves, etc.

Cant find much on what is happening in Seneca.
Have I missed anything from the Towns? Villages? Special Districts?

Mark Twain

FingerLakes1.com
#1555113 --- 11/06/20 02:46 AM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: all seeing eye]
Michael Jones Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
I have read Seneca County Budget down 4.8%, tax rate down, tax levy up a little but under the cap and all departments and outside agencies fully funded. I guess it doesn't have to be in the news to be ok.

#1555114 --- 11/06/20 04:25 AM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: Michael Jones]
all seeing eye Offline

And how do you think this magic is going to happen? They are going to dip into all the emergency reserves. They have a "hiring freeze,"and every board meeting is a litany of new positions created and filled.

AND WHERE IS THE 2019 COUNTY AUDIT. IT IS USUALLY RELEASED AT THE OCTOBER BOARD MEETING!

AND WHY ARE THEY HAVING A BUDGET HEARING ON NOVEMBER 10 WITHOUT HAVING ANY WORKSHOPS.

I am very disappointed that the BOS doesn't seem to care about the financial stability of the county and prefers meaningless reports.

Originally Posted By: Michael Jones
I have read Seneca County Budget down 4.8%, tax rate down, tax levy up a little but under the cap and all departments and outside agencies fully funded. I guess it doesn't have to be in the news to be ok.

Mark Twain

#1555170 --- 11/07/20 09:05 PM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: all seeing eye]
John Q Public Offline

Loc: NY
You sound a little like Donald Trump.

#1555178 --- 11/08/20 01:20 AM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: John Q Public]
all seeing eye Offline

Whut? Seriously? Mr "I won't release my taxes?" I am advocating for transparency.

I am not doing the hiding.

There are lots of questions that SHOULD be asked about the County Budget.....but there are NO WORKSHOPS scheduled to explain the budget to the supervisors and the public.

There are consequences to spending down the reserves to cover losses in sales tax and other income, instead of making budget cuts and tax increases. It is foolish to think this strategy will last very long.

You are foolish if you think this will work very long.

Originally Posted By: John Q Public
You sound a little like Donald Trump.

Edited by all seeing eye (11/08/20 01:25 AM)

Mark Twain

#1555228 --- 11/10/20 10:37 PM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: all seeing eye]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: all seeing eye

They will take from the reserves and raise taxes

#1555294 --- 11/11/20 05:40 PM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: bluezone]
John Q Public Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: all seeing eye

They will take from the reserves and raise taxes

Like Robin Hood?

#1555394 --- 11/12/20 10:37 PM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: all seeing eye]
Michael Jones Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
The eye of the all seeing one is always in a downward trajectory.

#1555516 --- 11/14/20 01:41 AM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: all seeing eye]
John Q Public Offline

You mean like talking down to County Supervisors? Yes, she is good at that.

#1555517 --- 11/14/20 04:29 AM Re: Seneca county , town and village budget shortfall planning [Re: John Q Public]
all seeing eye Offline

No point in talking up or down to them.

Curious, do they ever contradict what she says. Like, "yes, we reviewed the 2020 year to date income and expense reports for all funds (assessing the Covid impact) and the 2019 Audit before we decided not to have any budget hearings before adopting the 2021 budget?"

I guess, if you have no answer to logical questions from taxpayers and ratepayers, you can accuse them of "talking down." Seems to me they are just exercising their rights.

Originally Posted By: John Q Public
You mean like talking down to County Supervisors? Yes, she is good at that.

Edited by all seeing eye (11/14/20 04:40 AM)

Mark Twain