FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#1434624 --- 01/31/14 12:32 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: leeoh]
YCite Offline

Loc: FL
Leeoh what does that even mean? The hotel is a done deal and is on a separate parcel. Again, makes no sense

FingerLakes1.com
#1434629 --- 01/31/14 01:31 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: leeoh]
leeoh Offline

Loc: dundee
Originally Posted By: leeoh
Penn Yan's Mayor caught telling the local paper half truths has now announced that the village will share details about the three-way agreement that will be made between the village, county and developer Chris Iverson, this will be done at the PY village board meeting February 18. Here's the whole story, the county has found a loophole in the law that doesn't allow the county to provide financial assistance to Iverson by giving the village occupancy and pilot taxes then making the village spent those taxes to help Iverson in his hotel project not the boat company. That financial assistance plus $200,000 from the county to help in the cleanup of the boat company and another 490,000 grant plus $490,000 from the village taxpayers to build a new outlet trail from the boat company to Iverson's hotel plus a 1,200,000 loan provided by the village taxpayers will go to run a new sewer line along the outlet to the hotel after the village acquires the boat company from the county. The village will hold a note on the property in which Iverson will pay the village $75,000 a year for 4 years and then pay the village $24,000 for each townhouse he will builds. He told the mayor he will build one townhouse at a time and if it sells he will built another one until the total sum he pays the village will be $1,100,000, but the money will be spent on the site for infrastructure, This landmark deal will raise the village taxpayer's water, sewer and electric rates, the mayor has sold us out if he is allowed to enter into this gigantic handout agreement so show up at the meeting and tell him no.
It's all about the hotel, the boat company is a smokescreen.
All the money is going to the hotel project in a roundabout way.

#1434689 --- 01/31/14 03:04 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
FLDukes Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Not sure what you mean. Those are two separate properties? The hotel doesn't need the infrastructure that the housing development would. The hotel is going off right now, regardless of this boats project. So I'm not sure how it's all going back to the hotel anyway?

Edited by FLDukes (01/31/14 03:05 PM)

#1434709 --- 01/31/14 05:31 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: FLDukes]
leeoh Offline

Originally Posted By: FLDukes
Not sure what you mean. Those are two separate properties? The hotel doesn't need the infrastructure that the housing development would. The hotel is going off right now, regardless of this boats project. So I'm not sure how it's all going back to the hotel anyway?
Wrong the village is planning to run sewer lines up the outlet trail to the hotel and build the outlet trail to the hotel also, that is why the village is taking out a !,200.000 loan and a $980,000 matching grant and loan. Also the pilot and occupany taxes the village will receive from the county must be spent building a new road 'Mace Street' plus sidewalks and so on, now do you understand?

Edited by leeoh (01/31/14 05:33 PM)

#1434713 --- 01/31/14 06:03 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
FLDukes Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
That's great ... if they're running the outlet trail to the hotel, how the heck does that help the developer? If anything, that helps the Village? Connecting a hotel to downtown? That's a no brainer!

I'm pretty sure Iversen isn't putting years of effort into the PY Marine site just to make a hotel "go" that has already "gone" ... come on. Who's going around PY distributing all of these tinfoil hats. Some of you are ridiculous!

Edited by FLDukes (01/31/14 06:04 PM)

#1434724 --- 01/31/14 06:40 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Pilot Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
I don't think the outlet trail can connect to downtown while Carey's Lumber remains. I also don't see Carey's allowing the village to dig a trench in front of their office to run a sewer line. I'm sure the new line will be run along the road south of Knapp and Schlappi.

#1434760 --- 01/31/14 09:54 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Pilot]
leeoh Offline

Originally Posted By: Pilot
I don't think the outlet trail can connect to downtown while Carey's Lumber remains. I also don't see Carey's allowing the village to dig a trench in front of their office to run a sewer line. I'm sure the new line will be run along the road south of Knapp and Schlappi.
Here's the scoop the sewer line will start at Roto Salt where a pump house will be located then the line will run to Iverson's hotel, the million dollar extension of the outlet trail will begin at the boat company and go to red jacket park. This will allow trail walkers to walk from Red Jacket park to Roto Salt where they can turn around and walk back after they smell the new fecal waste pump house or they can jump in the outlet and float downstream. Here's another tidbit the county will pay close to $1,500,000 to cleanup the boat company then they will give Iverson the brownfield tax credits, how sweet it is.

Edited by leeoh (01/31/14 11:32 PM)

#1434843 --- 02/01/14 05:22 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: leeoh]
YCite Offline

Here's the scoop the sewer line will start at Roto Salt where a pump house will be located then the line will run to Iverson's hotel, the million dollar extension of the outlet trail will begin at the boat company and go to red jacket park. This will allow trail walkers to walk from Red Jacket park to Roto Salt where they can turn around and walk back after they smell the new fecal waste pump house or they can jump in the outlet and float downstream. Here's another tidbit the county will pay close to $1,500,000 to cleanup the boat company then they will give Iverson the brownfield tax credits, how sweet it is.

Can you be so kind as to provide us with the source of this information? I have read the papers and spoken with some people that live in PY and have some familiarity with the project, and nothing that you have said in this entire thread is in line with what I've heard. Are you just one of those crazies that likes to think every deal or change is the end of the world?

#1434845 --- 02/01/14 06:57 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: YCite]
leeoh Offline

Originally Posted By: YCite

Can you be so kind as to provide us with the source of this information? I have read the papers and spoken with some people that live in PY and have some familiarity with the project, and nothing that you have said in this entire thread is in line with what I've heard. Are you just one of those crazies that likes to think every deal or change is the end of the world?
The Mayor

#1434888 --- 02/02/14 06:23 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: leeoh]
father Offline

Loc: NY
Yes what a nice view that will be. Soon it will be final sold to the highest bidder for a dollar. Lets move down town by the lake right.

#1434997 --- 02/03/14 09:56 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: yipes]
leeoh Offline

Originally Posted By: yipes
you can show up at the meeting ok, but you may be to late to stop it if the article in the chronicle express is correct.

`Anyone who wants to learn more about development plans for the former Penn Yan Marine property should plan to attend the Feb. 18 village board meeting. At last week's board meeting, Mayor Robert Church said he is planning to hold an informational meeting about the project and the three-way agreements that will be made between the village, Yates County and developer Chris Iversen.
The Yates County Legislature will meet at 1 p.m. that day, so it's possible the agreement will be approved at that meeting and then again at the village board meeting.`

sounds like it could be approved before the evening meeting, if you can believe the article

Read more: http://www.chronicle-express.com/article/20140128/NEWS/140129643#ixzz2rtxePDfM
They can hold any meeting they want to but the county must sell the boat company to the highest bidder unless they hold a public hearing and pass a local law that allows them to do otherwise which they have failed to do. Then the law requires that a permissive referendum must be allowed if the public comes up with 720 signatures in a petition requesting a public vote on the sale.

Edited by leeoh (02/03/14 09:57 PM)

#1435054 --- 02/04/14 02:20 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: de1]
Plain Dark Sedan Offline

Loc: NY, US
Originally Posted By: de1
Originally Posted By: YCite
Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
DE--I think he explains the "Pilot" very well. The "taxpayers footing the entire bill" you are talking about is from another source. I.E. Grant money under the Obama stimulus program for Birkett Landing and the Winery on the corner. You are right, its tax dollars, but they are federal tax dollars sourced by the federal government.

If we didn't receive those dollars they would have been spent elsewhere. Its good that they came to PY and not Columbus Ohio or some other place that applied. smile

Exactly, thank you MG. The grant money was going to go elsewhere if it didn't go to Penn Yan. If you have issues with that money, take it up with the Fed not with the local government and a developer who took advantage of the program. It also provides a nice housing option to the Village ... so I'm not sure why it's such an awful thing that the VIllage benefited from the federal money.

Also, regarding the boat site development, that grant is also at the State level. It would have gone elsewhere if it didn't come to PennYan. I see this all as positive support for projects that wouldn't otherwise happen. The only "tax money" going to the boat site is for infrastructure ... and unless you want that site to sit dormant with a rotting boat factory on it for the rest of time, someone has to provide the infrastructure to the site to make it go. I just don't understand what all of the hubbub is about.

How about the developer putting in some money!He's the one that will make all the profits!!

Good point.

#1435059 --- 02/04/14 03:09 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: leeoh]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
you can show up at the meeting ok, but you may be to late to stop it if the article in the chronicle express is correct.

`Anyone who wants to learn more about development plans for the former Penn Yan Marine property should plan to attend the Feb. 18 village board meeting. At last week's board meeting, Mayor Robert Church said he is planning to hold an informational meeting about the project and the three-way agreements that will be made between the village, Yates County and developer Chris Iversen.
The Yates County Legislature will meet at 1 p.m. that day, so it's possible the agreement will be approved at that meeting and then again at the village board meeting.`

sounds like it could be approved before the evening meeting, if you can believe the article

Read more: http://www.chronicle-express.com/article/20140128/NEWS/140129643#ixzz2rtxePDfM
They can hold any meeting they want to but the county must sell the boat company to the highest bidder unless they hold a public hearing and pass a local law that allows them to do otherwise which they have failed to do. Then the law requires that a permissive referendum must be allowed if the public comes up with 720 signatures in a petition requesting a public vote on the sale.

leeoh--sounds like you might have a dog in this fight?

#1435097 --- 02/04/14 02:55 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
YCite Offline

Mean Gene ... not sure about you, but I've generally heard positive things from everyone I've spoken to about this project. It seems to have a lot of excitement behind it. I'm generally confused but, alas, not surprised by the responses from some of the more vocal posters on here. As tends to be the case in most instances on here, those most vocal are in the extreme minority. Just seems like there's an underlying agenda on the part of a few posters to stir up controversy on almost anything. My guess is that's the case here, too.

#1435101 --- 02/04/14 03:34 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: YCite]
Mean Gene Offline

I agree, a lot of what is posted on here is BS. That being said, it does give people an agenda to speak to items they are concerned about without revealing their identity. I don't have the "identity" issue. Some would be afraid to speak out if their name is revealed.

The downside is it gives a platform for the uninformed and those who just want to rant about something without knowing the facts.

The way leeoh is posting it makes me think he has some inside knowledge of this proposed project and feels strongly that the taxpayers are getting the short end of the stick. Either that or he or someone close to him was shut out in their attempt to develop that site.

I don't have all the dollars and sense to make an informed decision. I am happy that there is some movement in getting that area developed and hope that we can look back 10-15 years from now and be happy the way things developed! smile

#1435281 --- 02/05/14 04:28 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: leeoh]
helpme Offline

Loc: dresden

It now appears you might be right the county's attorney dropped the ball on the public hearing and the agreement under the present conditions will never take place, can't the county and village ever do anything right?

#1435323 --- 02/05/14 10:05 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
Mean Gene Offline

You get what you pay for, the county may be better off hiring and paying a full time attorney who is experienced in municipal law and eliminate the county administrator position.

The department heads then can be responsible for running their own areas (like they used to) while answering to legislators on their respective committees.

The shared service study between Yates and Schuyler could and should indicate a shared administrator, or no administrator and a full time attorney who has experience in county/municipal and real estate law. smile

#1437054 --- 02/19/14 12:49 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
YCite Offline

So last night was the public hearing? Did anyone go? I totally forgot ... but I would have expected some backlash on this site or at least some report on what happened considering the extreme anger that existed!

#1437057 --- 02/19/14 01:25 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: YCite]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
Do you think it would have really mattered? It sounds like everything was already in place. The local politicians don't care what people think! They are going to do what they want to do and what's in their best interest.

#1437090 --- 02/19/14 03:38 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: de1]
YCite Offline

Originally Posted By: de1
Do you think it would have really mattered? It sounds like everything was already in place. The local politicians don't care what people think! They are going to do what they want to do and what's in their best interest.

So did you go? Did you voice your opinion? I thought you were rallying the troops on here a few weeks ago. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the paper had to say about the meeting, then.

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >