FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1553583 --- 08/04/20 07:09 PM Journalistic Ethics
emorrison Offline

The recently deposed editor of the Chronicle Express, Gwen Chamberlain, has been widely praised for her service. I disagree. One example: For nearly a decade she covered the Yates County Sheriff's office while her son was employed there. That blinding conflict of interest was never disclosed to her readers. Publisher Karen Morrison must have known but let it go. Neither of them deserve praise. If our media can't be trusted, what good are they? I guess they can let us know which org has a chicken barbecue this weekend----nothing more.

FingerLakes1.com
#1553984 --- 08/14/20 07:39 PM Re: Journalistic Ethics [Re: emorrison]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
Wow, those are some pretty harsh Statements. Are you suggesting that she was derelict in her duties to report the news and colluded with her son to misrepresent the facts about what was happening in the town? What did she do to lose trust in her? Do you have evidence that she used her and her sons position to gain inside information or cover ups? How did you come about this information? Are you a former legislator, and if so did you raise any of this during your tenure? Or maybe you just have a grudge, I find it interesting with your timing. As I understand and have been told, in fact it was you who had an axe to grind with the sheriffs department, alone with several others.amazing what people will talk about over a cup of coffee. Pot calling the kettle black.

#1554024 --- 08/15/20 04:22 PM Re: Journalistic Ethics [Re: emorrison]
emorrison Offline

I don't view the statements as harsh, just factual. Yes she was derelict in her duties. No she did not collude with her son; she colluded with the Sheriff. Public information. I had no "ax to grind" other than the fiscal mismanagement of the Sheriff's office. As to evidence----I encourage any reader to go through the last 10 years worth of CE articles and find one where the paper questions anything Sheriff related. You'll find puff pieces too numerous to count. As to that coffee comment: Are you referring to the coffee klatch that has been going on for years at the Wagner involving the Sheriff and several Legislators? How does a Legislator have coffee with the Sheriff or a very regular basis for years and then vote on his budgetary requests?

#1554225 --- 08/24/20 09:17 PM Re: Journalistic Ethics [Re: emorrison]
emorrison Offline

To further clarify my response to eternal cynic: Yes I am a former Legislator. I did not push the issue too hard during my tenure for the following reasons: I did not want to put her son on the spot---not his fault---he now no longer works for the YCSO. Who would I complain too. Both Karen Morris and Ms. Chamberlain were aware and failed to correct the situation. You want to get in a public argument with someone who edits the local paper and buys ink by the barrel?
I have no idea what the pot and kettle remark is meant to convey.
I would thing that the eternal cynic would be very cynical re the decade long conflict of interest at the CE. Straight up good old boys club.