FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1549533 --- 05/31/20 07:40 PM If things weren't bad enough....
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Wifey just told me to make sure we lock everything up because there's word out there that some upstanding citizens may start some riot and looting this evening.... just great. We've been dealing with this "stay at home" thing for over 2 months now and now we've got this to contend with. What's next?? Alien invasion? Zombies?

I am beginning to believe that Stupid is more contagious than this virus is. What happened to Mr. Floyd is horrible and I think that justice needs to be served. How rioting and looting serves any positive purpose is just, well Stupid. Maybe we can do some contact tracing to find the source....

FingerLakes1.com
#1549563 --- 05/31/20 08:54 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
Formermac Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Above ground
Originally Posted By: pingu
Wifey just told me to make sure we lock everything up because there's word out there that some upstanding citizens may start some riot and looting this evening.... just great. We've been dealing with this "stay at home" thing for over 2 months now and now we've got this to contend with. What's next?? Alien invasion? Zombies?

I am beginning to believe that Stupid is more contagious than this virus is. What happened to Mr. Floyd is horrible and I think that justice needs to be served. How rioting and looting serves any positive purpose is just, well Stupid. Maybe we can do some contact tracing to find the source....

I normally don't do this thread,I agree with you for the most part and understand your concerns but the problem is we have ignorance which has been persuasive for decades, Your ideal of justice sorely differ from some of the justice many have received....None whats so ever. I totally disagree with violence and looting but educate yourself on the aspect of outside White Supremacists interjecting and further instigating the violence to a higher level...all for what reason? Ignorance begets more ignorance and until we understand that fact, ignorant can't be address a Trump states that " When one loots we shoot" totally inflammatory. BTW what ever happen with the one officer who placed racist memes on Facebook , I'm also reminded of a case involving a dead young Black man shot by a Geneva officer as well as the officer who's case is on hold due to the Corona.We tend to forget those things when they don't affect us but sadly, some never forget on either side...this is what concerns me and strike fear in my heart.

#1549570 --- 05/31/20 09:38 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
gassy one Offline

A couple of AR-15's last night in Rochester used by business owners would have stopped things real fast!The husband and wife who were hit by 2 x 4's trying to protect their business from being looted by 5 thugs is a perfect example! If the business owner came out with a rifle and took care of those scumbags that would have been a good sight to see!

Edited by gassy one (05/31/20 09:42 PM)

#1549575 --- 05/31/20 09:58 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: gassy one]
gassy one Offline

Hopefully these hell raisers & looters give each other the corona virus and that takes them out!

#1549577 --- 06/01/20 12:39 AM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: gassy one]
Ben444 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca County
https://fingerlakes1.com/2020/05/31/hundreds-rally-in-geneva-for-floyd-protest/

Hundreds rally in Geneva at George Floyd protest (video & photos)

#1549609 --- 06/01/20 10:08 AM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: Ben444]
gassy one Offline

Old news Kyle!

#1549618 --- 06/01/20 12:01 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: gassy one]
Ben444 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca County
Hundreds rally and march through Geneva at George Floyd protest (photos & video)

MAY 31, 2020 @ 8:21 PM | UPDATED: JUNE 1, 2020 @ 9:58 AM

#1549622 --- 06/01/20 03:31 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
roundtable Offline

Loc: new york state
So...did any rioting and looting take place? People believe everything they read on social media and go with it. Also, what do you mean by "upstanding citizens may start some riot or looting this evening". Who were you referring to with the "upstanding citizens"? Im a teacher in Geneva and was very proud how they young adults presented themselves. They did a great job. Too bad you're such a negative and gullible person...there's a lot of good you're going to miss in this world.

#1549718 --- 06/02/20 10:36 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: roundtable]
pingu Offline

Originally Posted By: roundtable
So...did any rioting and looting take place? People believe everything they read on social media and go with it. Also, what do you mean by "upstanding citizens may start some riot or looting this evening". Who were you referring to with the "upstanding citizens"? Im a teacher in Geneva and was very proud how they young adults presented themselves. They did a great job. Too bad you're such a negative and gullible person...there's a lot of good you're going to miss in this world.

First off, glad nothing happened that night despite the warnings. Those warnings but out didn't help the situation. No mention of marching through the streets, so the communication was a bit lacking. Did you notice the businesses boarding up their storefronts??

The "upstanding citizens" comment was sarcasm but I guess this is something that doesn't translate so well in writing or maybe you are looking for something else there? As for being gullible, I've seen many of these protests go badly in many other locations over the last few days, so I defer to being cautious. Didn't appreciate the use of fireworks that night with my kids asking if it was shooting. Were you proud of that, too? Maybe you might want to think about that next time since the voices and car horns seemed to let folks know what was going on. Constructive criticism from a teacher and parent.

I would ask you the same about being gullible and focusing on social media. Social media is last place I'd look for facts. Glad the folks in this town presented them selves as they did and showed how it works. Not so much around the country and in nearby locations. Folks who were barely hanging on lost everything due to the actions of others. George Floyd deserves justice.

#1549720 --- 06/02/20 10:38 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: gassy one]
pingu Offline

Originally Posted By: gassy one
Hopefully these hell raisers & looters give each other the corona virus and that takes them out!

Well there were no hell-raisers or looters in Geneva, thank goodness. Maybe that might speak to something being done right here vs. other towns and cities across the country.

As for wishing that on them, I don't.

#1549721 --- 06/02/20 10:44 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
Formermac Offline
Gold Member

How about the fact that the Floyd family lost something that is irreplaceable. This not to say that looting and rioting are acceptable but a mindset of always thinking the worse is the very reason so many Black men have died. You worry about material things being lost(Be honest) A mother and father worry about their Black children potentially being buried in Glenwood cemetery. As it was spoken by roundtable, get over your ignorance and open you ears to listen and eyes to understand. A city of diversity you're not with the exception of population. Name the minority mayors, police officers,school teachers, city council etc. The marches are more than the death of Mr. Floyd, it's the death of justice and equality.

#1549772 --- 06/03/20 06:44 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: Formermac]
pingu Offline

Originally Posted By: Formermac
How about the fact that the Floyd family lost something that is irreplaceable. This not to say that looting and rioting are acceptable but a mindset of always thinking the worse is the very reason so many Black men have died. You worry about material things being lost(Be honest) A mother and father worry about their Black children potentially being buried in Glenwood cemetery. As it was spoken by roundtable, get over your ignorance and open you ears to listen and eyes to understand. A city of diversity you're not with the exception of population. Name the minority mayors, police officers,school teachers, city council etc. The marches are more than the death of Mr. Floyd, it's the death of justice and equality.

Never said anything about losing property. I mentioned my kids being fearful of the noise and possible looter and setting stuff on fire and that conflict. Guess I should surrender to your sense of justice... cant' believe you would think that. I was more concerned about my family. Lost stuff before, will happen again. I just don't want to pay for what happened to George's family with my own. FAIR ENOUGH? did I shoot anyone or go out and threaten anyone? No.

I'm not with the exception the population?? what idiotic comment is that? I'm with the HUMAN population. Maybe someday you may do so as well. Race is a BS construct and you should start teaching folks that instead of perpetuating it.

Everyone should worry about their kids, everyone. World would be a better place if we all did that. Guess I can't for some reason? Why? I worry one of my kids gets put in the ground, too.

Who's ignorant? Maybe both of us to some degree. Admit it. Be honest as you said.

From there we get to work on something positive. We agree on what happened to George, or maybe you just can't stand that for some reason... not sure since you seem to immediately paint me as the enemy.

As a suggestion, maybe focus your comments to those that have offered up violent responses or wished folks sickness and death on here. Or are you okay with verbally going after those that basically agree with you?

Edited by pingu (06/03/20 06:47 PM)

#1549775 --- 06/03/20 07:06 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: Formermac]
pingu Offline

I normally don't do this thread,I agree with you for the most part and understand your concerns but the problem is we have ignorance which has been persuasive for decades, Your ideal of justice sorely differ from some of the justice many have received....None whats so ever. I totally disagree with violence and looting but educate yourself on the aspect of outside White Supremacists interjecting and further instigating the violence to a higher level...all for what reason? Ignorance begets more ignorance and until we understand that fact, ignorant can't be address a Trump states that " When one loots we shoot" totally inflammatory. BTW what ever happen with the one officer who placed racist memes on Facebook , I'm also reminded of a case involving a dead young Black man shot by a Geneva officer as well as the officer who's case is on hold due to the Corona.We tend to forget those things when they don't affect us but sadly, some never forget on either side...this is what concerns me and strike fear in my heart. [/quote]

Scrolled up the thread to find this. What sense of justice was I for exactly other that the lawful one that the Floyd Family deserves? Why do you make so many assumptions on what I think, who I am and what I stand for other than what I stated?

Lots of bad people are playing the protests for their own goal. Don't just lay this down on just one group. They are all jumping in and it's up to the good people to see that and stand up.

You dropped a lot of baggage on me for no reason. Not cool. You basically crapped on someone that agrees with you and you wonder why this world is the way it is. Hope you can reflect on that a bit.

#1549777 --- 06/03/20 07:25 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
Formermac Offline
Gold Member

I didn't crap on you as you suggest, you crapped on yourself a few day ago by adding an unsolicited post hinting the possibility of trouble , I didn't. So now that you received a solitary incendiary post from Gassy but several posts suggesting that you may have been premature and hasty in projecting your thoughts, you attempt to turn the table.. Sorry nice try.

#1549778 --- 06/03/20 07:30 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
Formermac Offline
Gold Member

I also made comments in regard to the lack of diversity in your city, you spent much dissertation on defending yourself but nothing to suggest why is it lacking.

#1549780 --- 06/03/20 07:36 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: Formermac]
pingu Offline

I didn't crap on you as you suggest, you crapped on yourself a few day ago by adding an unsolicited post hinting the possibility of trouble , I didn't. So now that you received a solitary incendiary post from Gassy but several posts suggesting that you may have been premature and hasty in projecting your thoughts, you attempt to turn the table.. Sorry nice try.

I put out a post based on what the local media and factual events in nearby locations was telling us was a possibility and the anxiety it caused us and our concerns. I never claimed that it was going to happen but was concerned it might. Again, guess I can't do that.

Nice try yourself. Reached out to you and you again and you make the decision to respond as you have. Says a lot.

#1549781 --- 06/03/20 07:38 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
Formermac Offline
Gold Member

Bottom line, don't believe everything you hear, nothing worse than one taking back their own words.

#1549782 --- 06/03/20 07:39 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: Formermac]
pingu Offline

I also made comments in regard to the lack of diversity in your city, you spent much dissertation on defending yourself but nothing to suggest why is it lacking.

It's lacking because of the small town mentality, racism and deep rooted prejudices. Hopefully enough broad-thinking folks come in and help change that. That's not just in diversity but in coming up with solutions to make a lot of things work better.

Don't really need to defend others, not my job. I try to work on myself.

Shocking, isn't it??

Edited by pingu (06/03/20 07:40 PM)

#1549783 --- 06/03/20 07:40 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: pingu]
Formermac Offline
Gold Member

STOP YOU'RE EMBARRASSING YOURSELF

#1549784 --- 06/03/20 07:41 PM Re: If things weren't bad enough.... [Re: Formermac]
pingu Offline

Bottom line, don't believe everything you hear, nothing worse than one taking back their own words.

Something we agree on. Cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >