FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1545341 --- 04/01/20 04:01 PM Legislator vs supervisor
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
Hi all itís been a while but since the pandemic I have some free time on my hands (as we all do Iím sure). Anyway, to kill some time while going through my mail, I took a look through the Yates county fact book that was mailed recently. I found a few things interesting while looking at the different towns. Why do we have legislators that represent several towns each, individual town supervisors that represent their own town, and one in particular in milo that does both jobs? Seems strange that we as taxpayers are paying 2 people to represent us, and in milo 1 person twice? Anyway if anyone could explain this better to me please do. Also do other counties do this? I have a friend in hopewell and he thinks that the supervisors all meet together to handle business, like a board of supervisors or something. Hope your all staying well.

FingerLakes1.com
#1545460 --- 04/02/20 12:37 AM Re: Legislator vs supervisor [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
cheesehead Offline

Loc: PY, Yates County, NY
That idea seems like common sense to me. It makes sense to have each town supervisor represent their town on the county board of supervisors. From a fiscal point of view it would save the county tax payers money by not having to pay for unnecessary legislators. From a town point of view it would make sense to have the town supervisors, who know the needs of their town and constituents on a local level, to serve on the county board. Unfortunately, the egos of our local politicians will never allowed that. I would like to see a change to this system nonetheless.

#1545565 --- 04/03/20 01:05 AM Re: Legislator vs supervisor [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
Interesting take. Thanks for the info

#1545710 --- 04/04/20 05:53 PM Re: Legislator vs supervisor [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
They had that up until the 70's and changed it to what they have now because some towns had a lot more people in them. If you have more people you get more legislators. That's my understanding. You still have supers at each town doing their thing at the local level.

#1545737 --- 04/05/20 09:35 PM Re: Legislator vs supervisor [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
sarge1m19 Offline

Loc: yates county ny
It would seem strange that 1 person could hold both positions though and be fair to all involved. Would probably also save some money in the budget if there wasnít redundancy.

#1546800 --- 04/23/20 12:46 PM Re: Legislator vs supervisor [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
FLObservor Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
This all stems from the one-man, one-vote court rulings. Only a handful of counties in New York still have a "Board of Supervisors" which consists of the town supervisors in the county. The rest have gone to a County Legislature system with districts not based on town lines which are designed to be roughly equal in population.
Counties that have a Board of Supervisors have to use a system of weighted voting which has its own problems. Boards of Supervisors also have a built-in conflict of interest issue as the same people are controlling the finances of both the county and the respective towns. It's a major issue when the towns and the county try to work together.
As for saving money with a Board of Supervisors because one person holds both roles, that's not the case. The counties that have them pay the supervisors, who are also paid by their towns.