FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#1536586 --- 12/10/19 05:24 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Tacitus Offline

Blue, you must get dizzy coming up with such a collection of unrelated references. I do favor maxing out the legal application of water & sewer because it actually applies to a measurable service, is proportional to the amount of the service used, and has municipal law applied to it in terms of what can be charged to that service. For example, fire protection can't be funded out of Water & Sewer. The proposed tax on non-profits was none of these, and the City probably would have lost the lawsuit, resulting in additional legal fees and higher taxes.

FingerLakes1.com
#1536601 --- 12/10/19 08:59 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Tacitus]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tacitus
I do favor maxing out the legal application of water & sewer because it actually applies to a measurable service, is proportional to the amount of service used.

The city charges a different rate for out of City customers. The city should set up a different fee schedule for those that are tax-exempt and charge a slightly higher amount for water and sewer that they use.

#1536605 --- 12/11/19 04:27 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Tacitus Offline

Municipalities are not permitted to differentiate their rates that way. It would allow other forms of discrimination that you might not like, such as special BLOVIATOR rate.

Although in just a few hours I expect this "should" will become a "fact" in your rusty arsenal of reasoning.

#1536608 --- 12/11/19 05:11 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Tacitus]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Municipalities are not permitted to differentiate their rates that way.

Then there should not be any tax exempt properties as they receive services from the city

#1536609 --- 12/11/19 05:16 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I do favor maxing out the legal application of water & sewer because it actually applies to a measurable service, is proportional to the amount of service used.

Then a fee should be charged to HWS for having a higher rate of false alarms until HWS takes steps to reduce the 50-80 false alarms per month

#1536622 --- 12/11/19 07:57 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

The thing is, BZ, when you're talking about private schools, they have been deemed tax exempt due to their benefit to the 'common good.' Fire departments are government services which are all tax exempt (for partly the same reason). Public schools, similarly, are also government services.

The US government has established that emergency services have the liability (financial or otherwise) to absorb such burdens due to (among other reasons) the obvious benefit of being tax exempt in the first place, even though this is not the primary function.

I'm not aware of any exception which would allow for a legal implementation of such fees, fines or offsets. Are you?

Perhaps this will help bring you up to speed:
https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-...view.ashx?la=en

#1536628 --- 12/11/19 09:30 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Tacitus Offline

Then there should not be any tax exempt properties as they receive services from the city

Then you have an argument with the IRS, section 501. Feel free to take it up with them.

#1536675 --- 12/12/19 12:27 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Tacitus]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Then you have an argument with the IRS, section 501. Feel free to take it up with them.

The city was moving forward with the Benefits Assessments District - to have the costs shared EQUAL

HWS filed a lawsuit against the city

Is it true that you (the taxpayer) is paying for the upgrade to sewer system (because HWS had to construct the new Gearon building) when pulteney street was redone?

How much is that bond and how many decades will you be paying for it?

The $140,000 'donation' from HWS is a drop in the bucket

#1536694 --- 12/13/19 04:59 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Tacitus Offline

1) Do you have any proof that the Pulteney Street rebuild was different because of the Gearan Center, or is this just another unsubstantiated attempt at a "fact"?

2) Upgrades to Water & Sewer come out of that budget; debt incurred is serviced from that budget as well, so water & sewer users are paying the bill, which includes taxpayers as well as tax-exempt properties, see my response to an earlier post.

3) If usage of the Gearan Center increases net HWS water & sewer consumption, their bill goes up and they help pay for the upgrade, so I suggest you go to a concert there and use the bathroom.

#1536747 --- 12/14/19 11:26 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: bluezone

The city was moving forward with the Benefits Assessments District - to have the costs shared EQUAL

HWS filed a lawsuit against the city

Is it true that you (the taxpayer) is paying for the upgrade to sewer system (because HWS had to construct the new Gearon building) when pulteney street was redone?

How much is that bond and how many decades will you be paying for it?

The $140,000 'donation' from HWS is a drop in the bucket

What part of 'common good tax exemption' has you so entirely flummoxed? crazy

#1536748 --- 12/14/19 11:29 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Tacitus]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

... I suggest you go to a concert there and use the bathroom.

Sublime! grin

#1536751 --- 12/14/19 06:56 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
a49deere Offline

Loc: ny
$27,000 wow, what's that? one panel and ten devices, plus Lachase mark up of 30%. I'm impressed, sorry

#1536951 --- 12/17/19 04:01 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Tacitus Offline

I take it the lack of a BZ response is an early Christmas gift. OR the search is on for more unrelated dat or out of context comments.

I'll be away. Timbo, looking to you for an enforcement of facts rules. We may not agree on everything, but we find comfort in facts.

#1541279 --- 02/10/20 01:47 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Tacitus]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I take it the lack of a BZ response is an early Christmas gift

Was busy

#1541281 --- 02/10/20 01:52 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Tacitus]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

we find comfort in facts.

HWS wants the city of Geneva to sign a new deal 2 years prior to renewal

Is HWS concerned that case law may be moving against them?

#1541300 --- 02/10/20 04:16 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Tacitus Offline

HWS now has a president who's an economist. Maybe she's going to ask Council to look at the economic impact of the colleges and compare it to the PILOT offers every county is making to lure businesses to their locations? Look at all of the money we gave away to Cheribundi, only to have them leave.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9