“It definitely sends out a good statement. We can beat the men,” said Sherrock. “Hopefully it will encourage more girls and ladies who haven’t actually heard of darts to participate and play more.”

Fallon Sherrock creates history by becoming first woman to beat a man at PDC World Darts Championship

Never has a first-round win mattered more. In beating Ted Evetts in front of a raucous Alexandra Palace crowd on Tuesday night, Fallon Sherrock wrote her name into the record books as the first woman in history to win a PDC World Championship match.

For anyone who doubted whether female players were worth the places they had been guaranteed at dart’s showpiece event, this was the most resounding of responses. Sherrock, a 25-year-old single mother from Milton Keynes, is not just as good as the men - she is better.

“I’m speechless,” said Sherrock, wiping tears away after the biggest win in women’s darts history. “I don’t know what to say. Wow. Thank you everyone.

“I knew it was in there but whether it was going to come out on stage is another matter. I just believed in myself.

“I’m so proud of myself and what I’ve done for ladies’ darts. I’ve proven that we can compete with anyone and can beat them.

“And there are people who can play like me, if not better. It’s just proving ourselves. We don’t get that much opportunity, so hopefully we can get more now.”

It was only last year that darts supremo Barry Hearn made the decision to allocate two of the 96 places to women. The sport had never definitively blocked females from competing - qualification is open to players of both sex - but Hearn decided the time was right to give woman a clear path to the top.

Read on. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/darts/2019/1...woman-beat-man/