FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1534591 --- 10/07/19 03:33 PM Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily."
IrieInFLX Offline

Loc: FLX
Wonder what it feels like to so recklessly spend other's hard earned money; especially with zero accountability...all the while getting a new contract and a nice raise.

Superintendent Terri Bavis and the Waterloo School Board should be ashamed. Complete and utter ineptitude on both fronts.

As if the poor job performance supported by the facts uncovered in the audit wasn't enough to get Waterloo tax-payers livid, the follow up letter from Bavis and the Board to the state would make any politician proud.

"Auditors: Waterloo CSD 'did not ad...cessarily"

Report of Examination - Waterloo Central...ent - Oct. 2019

"Waterloo school chief gets 3.25 percent raise"

FingerLakes1.com
#1534600 --- 10/08/19 09:19 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: IrieInFLX]
IrieInFLX Offline

#1534695 --- 10/11/19 07:30 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: IrieInFLX]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
do you really think that someone who is actually qualified would come to Waterloo ?

#1534834 --- 10/15/19 07:24 PM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: IrieInFLX]
DeReRustica Offline

Loc: Boondox, Seneca Co.
The auditors are critical that the Waterloo school board saved too much, not that they spent too much.

#1534835 --- 10/15/19 07:56 PM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: DeReRustica]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
I would say that the Board taxed too much.

Harry S. Truman

#1534845 --- 10/16/19 06:51 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

at a time when most people can't even handle their own personal finances, you expect that board to manage a budget as big as that one ?
Besides an auditor will always find SOMETHING wrong.

#1534871 --- 10/16/19 02:44 PM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: DeReRustica]
IrieInFLX Offline

DeReRustica - Not sure whom you are directing your comment to. Correct, they weren't found to have spent too much; they continually take too much.That kind of surplus should be given back to the tax payers.

My taxes went up this year. Yet the district is sitting on 9.6 million surplus? That doesn't seem right. I don't even have any kids. Like many in the community I scrape to get by; have to make sacrifices every tax season to do my part. At the absolute minimum the school board and superintendent should be overly transparent and very intentionally communicate to the community.

If I give a neighbor a loaf of bread. Later I discover said neighbor, whom continues to ask me for a new loaf of bread; has a garage full of untouched bread I'm going to be pissed off and feel taken advantage of.

If you're okay with this you are either very fortunate, or a much better person than I (Regretfully it wouldn't take much to be one, or the other, or both).

This Superintendent loves to spend money, (it should be a requirement for the superintendent to live in the district but that's another conversation...queue Mr "get off my lawn" to reply). That said the majority of the blame falls on the school board. They are to hold the superintendent accountable yet she has them in the palm of her hand.

I can't be the only one this rubs the wrong way but what do I know.

Edited by IrieInFLX (10/16/19 02:45 PM)

#1534882 --- 10/16/19 06:40 PM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Online   content

Loc: Lap Dog
9.3 million is much more than SOMETHING

#1534975 --- 10/18/19 07:08 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

BUT THE MONEY IS STILL THERE AND CAN BE USED TO OFFSET NEXT YEARS TAXES, IT AIN'T LIKE IT WAS SPENT OR STOLEN.

#1535025 --- 10/18/19 02:12 PM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Online   content

That should be reflected in this year’s bills if that was the intent. Taxes for the school district are levied in July and billed in September. By law it is this year that the taxpayers are supposed to experience the relief.

Shout as loud as you want. Taxpayers in Waterloo deserve better.

#1535037 --- 10/19/19 06:27 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: IrieInFLX]
scwoodchuck Offline

OMG, someone should scrutinize you people in the same manner that you seem to inflict on everyone else. The school board is elected in the same fashion as our local officials, nothing more than a popularity contest where nobody is actually qualified. AND if they were actually qualified they wouldn't be living in Seneca County.

#1535040 --- 10/19/19 10:57 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Online   content

This is like Government Finance 101. So simple.

Your argument is that a government should be allowed to be flush with cash, in this case nearly 10 million, and still be allowed to get in to it’s citizens pockets. So much for balanced budgets and accountability on your end. Let them run wild.

#1535072 --- 10/21/19 10:37 AM Re: Waterloo CSD - NYS Audit - "Auditors: Waterloo CSD ‘did not adopt realistic budgets’, leaving millions in reserve funds unnecessarily." [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

NO, MY ARGUEMENT IS, when you elect your friends, or someone you like to a position of having to make business decisions purely on their personality you SHOULD EXPECT MISTAKES.