FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1534335 --- 09/29/19 03:57 PM Move the Railway?
Tacitus Offline

The flyer from the Democratic Party in Geneva states, under the heading of Economic Development:

"Work toward moving the Finger Lakes Railway Yard and facilities out of the city so that property can be used for commercial and residential purposes".

Does anyone know what property this is? It looks like the main facility is in Border City, not Geneva.

FingerLakes1.com
#1534344 --- 09/30/19 12:50 PM Re: Move the Railway? [Re: Tacitus]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
The way it's been explained to me is that the majority (all?) of the rail yard is situated on city owned property, which the FGLK leases from the city under some type of economic development program.

A few years ago it looked like FGLK invested in expanding and upgrading the yard.

Has any developer actually expressed interest in that plot? Who would bear the cost of moving the rail yard? What are the opportunity costs associated with such a project?

#1534345 --- 09/30/19 04:28 PM Re: Move the Railway? [Re: Tacitus]
Tacitus Offline

So, FLaker, are the yards the ones I think are in Border City, but Geneva extends further than I thought? Or are they referring to the sidings that are closer to Railroad Place, where I see grain being loaded into cars, near where Wright's Locksmith's offices are?

#1534346 --- 09/30/19 06:19 PM Re: Move the Railway? [Re: Tacitus]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
I believe the property in question is entirely within the city. If you type "Geneva, NY" into Google Maps, it shows where the railroad is and exactly where the city line is.

#1534348 --- 09/30/19 07:22 PM Re: Move the Railway? [Re: Tacitus]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
OK. Hope folks know you just can't move railroad lines without first considering that they need pretty level areas with minimal grade changes and things like that. If you look around Geneva, you see lots of old rail beds that were built up (Avenue B and Genesee Street come to mind) to keep the grades level.

If you are contemplating moving the lakefront (again, pretty level areas) to some other location, first figure out how you connect the lines that will be left to the new location. Best spot would be to shift them from the lakefront to Exchange Street up to North and then re-connect them... freeing up a lot of lakefront real estate. But what about the neighborhoods you just moved the tracks into??

#1534349 --- 09/30/19 07:27 PM Re: Move the Railway? [Re: Tacitus]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Just a thought here but instead of moving the railroad, why don't we just take out the arterial and 5 & 20 lakefront road and re-route it back through downtown like it was before? That would free up so much land and I bet it would cost less then trying to take out and find a location for workable rail lines. The solar city could benefit from not having the highway right next door and even room to expand near the lake.

#1534351 --- 10/01/19 04:19 AM Re: Move the Railway? [Re: Tacitus]
Tacitus Offline

Apparently the City stops at Pre-Emption Street, so we're not talking about the buildings FL Railway has, but rather the series of tracks where they build up cars for deliveries in the area. This still seems like a major task. And if you think this is necessary for economic growth, what about the huge propane business nearby?

Now that tractor trailers are 53 feet long, I'm not sure you'd want them trying to traverse Exchange Street in large quantities. The way they clog up Lake Street is bad enough.