FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1531359 --- 05/29/19 04:42 PM Cardinal Disposal
Deepblue5562 Offline

Loc: fingerlakes
Anyone else having issues with recycling not being picked up? I think we are to the point of just adding it to our garbage. We used to have a dumpster for recyclables at our town dump which made for easy recycling but apparently that made to much sense and it was removed years ago. There is a recycling drop off at Mt. Trashmore but hauling it there greatly defeats the purpose. Obviously Cardinal Disposal was the lowest bidder and it definitely shows.

FingerLakes1.com
#1531367 --- 05/29/19 05:31 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
since the market for recyclables crashed most of it goes to the dump anyway

#1531373 --- 05/29/19 09:07 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
Deepblue5562 Offline

Thank you Chuck. I have heard that. Anyone else that can verify this?

#1531411 --- 05/30/19 09:03 AM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
scwoodchuck Offline

Kyle Black is on record at a county board meeting stating that fact.

#1531417 --- 05/30/19 08:10 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
The companies doing the recycling made a profit when the material had a value, but now they have to pay the landfill to dump it.

#1531418 --- 05/30/19 09:06 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
Deepblue5562 Offline

Crazy--why continue the farce and burn the fuel to pick it up? I'm thinking we are done recycling.

Edited by Deepblue5562 (05/30/19 09:06 PM)

#1531421 --- 06/01/19 11:47 AM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
scwoodchuck Offline

Recycling has always been a net loss for the taxpayer but the politicians have to keep the ECO-FREAKS happy. Recyclable material has more value as fuel in an incinerator to generate electricity.

If people realized what the supposed green technology actually cost they would go BONKERS. Green AIN'T green when it burns money that takes more resources to make than what is saved.

#1531426 --- 06/02/19 12:15 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: scwoodchuck]
gassy one Offline

I worked on a gasification project for Casella At the Ontario County landfill which turned waste into syngas which could be converted to different types of fuel. The Million dollar gasifier
still sits there in a barn last I knew never used. The idiots from Zero waste convinced the county that we were going to pollute the finger lakes and it was never used. Garbage should be treated as a commodity and used for fuel and not buried.

#1531429 --- 06/02/19 04:13 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
Deepblue5562 Offline

I'm not opposed to incinerators. I was very much opposed to the location of the one proposed for Seneca County. Surely there are locations that would be a better fit than that proposed site. Truthfully we take in enough garbage. How much sense does it make to ship the waste by rail and road for 100s of miles to be burned here?

#1531431 --- 06/02/19 08:26 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Deepblue5562
I'm not opposed to incinerators. I was very much opposed to the location of the one proposed for Seneca County. Surely there are locations that would be a better fit than that proposed site. Truthfully we take in enough garbage. How much sense does it make to ship the waste by rail and road for 100s of miles to be burned here?
Do a little research on gasification you might be surprised. Gasification is not incineration. I understand your point on bringing in outside garbage. The problem is without a very high volume any waste disposal type is not going to be profitable.

#1531432 --- 06/02/19 09:30 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: gassy one]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Let me see if I get this right.

The Finger Lakes should import MORE garbage to make incinerators and gasification cost effective.

That means more trucks.

You guys don't get it ....the garbage trucks killed the incinerator more than even the environmental risk.

Originally Posted By: gassy one
Do a little research on gasification you might be surprised. Gasification is not incineration. I understand your point on bringing in outside garbage. The problem is without a very high volume any waste disposal type is not going to be profitable.

Harry S. Truman

#1531433 --- 06/02/19 11:08 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye

The Finger Lakes should import MORE garbage to make incinerators and gasification cost effective.

That means more trucks.

You guys don't get it ....the garbage trucks killed the incinerator more than even the environmental risk.

Of course you didn't get it right. The jist of my comments were to say instead of burying garbage use it as a useful commodity!

#1531435 --- 06/03/19 05:56 AM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: Deepblue5562]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Crazy--why continue the farce and burn the fuel to pick it up? I'm thinking we are done recycling.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/125641-is-recycling-worth-it-the-answer-might-surprise-you
QUOTE, It costs $300 more to process one ton of recycling in New York City than it would cost to take those same materials to a landfill. Tierney points out that all of this extra cost could be put towards something more productive, like reducing greenhouse gas emissions. He also addresses that recycling comes with high transport costs, too, since it puts more trucks on the road and often transfers material overseas.
Tierney also notes that while the value of recyclables keeps declining, and the demand for recycled goods overseas is lowering, the cost of producing these materials continues to rise. A recent study found that recycling more than 10 percent of our trash actually hurts our economy (and environment, for that matter) much more than it helps.

#1531522 --- 06/10/19 01:11 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: gassy one]
gassy one Offline

That means more trucks.

Of course you didn't get it right. The jist of my comments were to say instead of burying garbage use it as a useful commodity!
This what SC could have had instead of a landfill. It would have supplied low cost steam & electricity to bring in more business to the old Depot site. Stopped by a bunch of so called saviors of the Finger Lakes who pollute the lake more than ever!

https://www.wastetodaymagazine.com/article/a-neighborly-agreement/

Edited by gassy one (06/10/19 01:16 PM)

#1531530 --- 06/10/19 01:49 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: gassy one]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF

I've been inside Covanta Essex in Newark, NJ and you'd never know there was an incinerator there. No smell, no smoke, no garbage anywhere. The electrostatic precipitators do an incredible job reducing the emissions to nearly nothing. The furnaces are fed by the air that enters through the same entrances that the trucks come in so the smell from the holding/separation area goes right up the chimney (so to speak). The high heat destroys any smell.

The downside is you still have to figure out how to get the garbage to the incinerator.

#1531533 --- 06/10/19 05:57 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: MCK]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: MCK

I've been inside Covanta Essex in Newark, NJ and you'd never know there was an incinerator there. No smell, no smoke, no garbage anywhere. The electrostatic precipitators do an incredible job reducing the emissions to nearly nothing. The furnaces are fed by the air that enters through the same entrances that the trucks come in so the smell from the holding/separation area goes right up the chimney (so to speak). The high heat destroys any smell.

The downside is you still have to figure out how to get the garbage to the incinerator.
Each region of the state should be responsible for their own garbage. That would have to be done to make it profitable. I have said this all along garbage should never be buried but used as a commodity! The state and SC got this one wrong big time!

#1531539 --- 06/11/19 05:33 AM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: gassy one]
scwoodchuck Offline

That means more trucks.

This what SC could have had instead of a landfill. It would have supplied low cost steam & electricity to bring in more business to the old Depot site. Stopped by a bunch of so called saviors of the Finger Lakes who pollute the lake more than ever!

https://www.wastetodaymagazine.com/article/a-neighborly-agreement/
But the politicians in Seneca Falls wouldn't have been paid millions by the dump if they allowed an incinerator to be built.

#1531567 --- 06/13/19 09:18 PM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: scwoodchuck]
gassy one Offline

Those politicians better get their head out of the sand and start figuring out what they are going to do with garbage after SM & OC
landfill closes because the state will never let another landfill
open in NY. The answer is not recycling obviously!

Edited by gassy one (06/13/19 09:21 PM)

#1531569 --- 06/14/19 12:03 AM Re: Cardinal Disposal [Re: gassy one]
scwoodchuck Offline

SMI plans to dump trash in Waterloo, ask the new mayor of Waterloo. Seneca Falls can't close the dump if it moves into Waterloo. laugh