FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1531558 --- 06/12/19 09:29 AM Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own
By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com

WATERLOO –– The mayors of two south Seneca County villages voiced strong opposition Tuesday to the current Seneca County Board of Supervisors’ plan to have a single, central wastewater treatment plant in Willard serve the south end of the county.

Ovid Mayor Leon Kelly and Lodi Mayor Kyle Barnhart said the centralized plan advocated by the county board would be far too costly for residents of their villages.

Instead, the two villages have hired Mary Anne Kowalski of Romulus as a consultant to explore the feasibility of building a treatment plant near Ovid to serve both villages.

Kelly urged the 14-member board, which uses a weighted vote system based on population, to vote against a centralization proposal put forth by engineers from Barton & Loguidice of Syracuse. He said the north end board members have the most weighted votes and can outvote the small south end supervisors.

“I am concerned about this proposed new plant to be built in Willard. It is very costly and it looks like B & L has started this train and we don’t know how to stop it. We need no votes from the north end,’’ Kelly said.

“So I beg and plead that when this comes up for a final vote, you vote no. It’s a nightmare. If you vote yes, it won’t cost your constituents anything, but our people in the south end will get a big bill,’’ Kelly said. “We are at your mercy,’’ he added.

“Put yourself in my shoes. We need a sewer plan that lowers the cost to the south end.’’

Barnhart, elected mayor in March, agreed with Kelly.

“We need something more affordable to the south end. This is a big project. Please reconsider it. We’re dealing with people with low per capita income,’’ he said.

“A decentralized plan makes more sense. It’s less expensive and serves the needs of the south end better,’’ Barnhart said. He said Lodi residents pay about $340 a year now for sewer services and under the centralized plan, figures are showing that could nearly double. He joined Kelly in urging the board to oppose the centralized plan.

They got some support from Romulus Supervisor David Kaiser and Varick Supervisor Bob Hayssen. “I don’t trust B & L. They are pushing this centralized plan,’’ Kaiser said.

Barnhart said Lodi is in Seneca County Sewer District No. 1 and should not have to subsidize a plant in Sewer District No. 2.

The topic will come up again at the June 25 Public Works Committee meeting.

Harry S. Truman

FingerLakes1.com
#1531562 --- 06/13/19 04:50 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
“I don’t trust B & L. They are pushing this centralized plan,’’ Kaiser said.

Barnhart said Lodi is in Seneca County Sewer District No. 1 and should not have to subsidize a plant in Sewer District No. 2."

I understand that Kaiser is just trying to create a job for himself as administrator of Sewer District No.1. Besides B&L just does what the board asks them to do. grin

#1531563 --- 06/13/19 08:07 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

This is yet another scheme cooked up by the former CM.

It benefits Earl Martin, Flaum Management and the IDA, by bringing sewer to underserved areas of the Depot, at no cost to them. The costs would be paid by the residential users in Lodi, Ovid, Willard and Hamlet of Romulus.

Who, exactly, on the board do you think could have cooked up this scheme?

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
“I don’t trust B & L. They are pushing this centralized plan,’’ Kaiser said.

Barnhart said Lodi is in Seneca County Sewer District No. 1 and should not have to subsidize a plant in Sewer District No. 2."

I understand that Kaiser is just trying to create a job for himself as administrator of Sewer District No.1. Besides B&L just does what the board asks them to do. grin

Harry S. Truman

#1531564 --- 06/13/19 07:01 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

DUH, didn't the DEC demand action ? Wasn't there a condition that most of the cost be covered by obtaining a grant of ( I think it was ) $20 million ? crazy crazy crazy crazy

#1531565 --- 06/13/19 07:38 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

DEC required correction of violations and compliance with new discharge limits. It DID NOT specify how the county would achieve that.

They certainly did not say build a new plant at Willard and transport sewage 14 miles through the Depot to help Earl Martin develop his land along 96 A and the airfield and Flaum with sewer lines on the west side of the warehouses, and send the bill to Lodi and Ovid and Willard.

And they didn't say, don't consult the State and get their $$$ commitment for Five Points and Willard....until the plan was submitted.

As to the grants, the maximum grant is $5 million or 25% of project costs, whichever is less. So, if the state kicks in $10 million as requested, that leaves a project cost of $15 million. The most the county can get from state grants is $3.75 million, leaving $11.25 million for the residential customers, many of whom are at the poverty level.

Anyone who thought the state would award a $20 million grant toward a $24 million project is pretty naive.

In fact, the presentations from B and L show grants of about $3.1 million, assuming a state up front contribution of $10 million.

DUH, didn't the DEC demand action ? Wasn't there a condition that most of the cost be covered by obtaining a grant of ( I think it was ) $20 million ? crazy crazy crazy crazy

Edited by all seeing eye (06/13/19 07:40 PM)

Harry S. Truman

#1531568 --- 06/13/19 11:59 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

lady the board was firm in that without at least $20 million in state or federal funding the project would be voted down. What you can NOT understand is you can't apply for grant money without a plan to be submitted with the grant application.
DUH

#1531574 --- 06/14/19 04:57 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

My numbers came from the last presentation on the plan made by B and L. That removed Hillside.

Maybe you and the BOS should read it?

lady the board was firm in that without at least $20 million in state or federal funding the project would be voted down. What you can NOT understand is you can't apply for grant money without a plan to be submitted with the grant application.
DUH

Harry S. Truman

#1531576 --- 06/14/19 05:30 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

keep going back and forth from 2 years ago to today in your argument, it proves me right.

#1531578 --- 06/14/19 08:14 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

keep going back and forth from 2 years ago to today in your argument, it proves me right.

DUH

Harry S. Truman

#1531586 --- 06/14/19 04:07 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

when did Hillside announce their closing ? When did the county board ask B&L to come up with a plan for the sewer districts. Answer YEARS apart. But you talk like B&L knew Hillside was going to close 5 years ago.

#1531588 --- 06/14/19 05:49 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

The IDA surely knew the Hillside lease was up in 2020. And I am sure Hillside told IDA leadership they were not renewing.

I could be wrong, but I think the IDA went to the County Manager and told him that there was no way a new tenant would pay $48,000/Year for sewer treatment, plus high water costs for run down buildings. Hillside had fewer than 100 children, so that is a huge expense. A new tenant would be crazy to agree to it.

And the IDA would't want to pay the costs of the upgrades DEC required, which it would have to pay as the owner and only customer of the Hillside treatment plant.

Then, of course, there is Earl Martin, who owns the Depot, but there are almost no sewers in his 7000 acres. His White Deer Center had porta potties.

The solution: convert the Hillside plant to a pump station, run a sewer line 6.3 miles from the pump station to Sampson where it could connect to Sewer #1. ---- and hand the bill to the residential customers.

Economic development is a theme running through all the presentations by B and L.

If you look at the timetable from the first presentation, they appear to be about a year behind. I suspect the idea was to have the project started before the full BOS and public knew that Hillside would not renew the lease.

The RFP was issued summer 2017, B and L selected that fall. They proposed options to the BOS in May. The options were written so that the "best" option was consolidation, bringing new service to the Depot and preserving sewer treatment at Hillside.

Don't make it sound like the BOS thought this up and directed its implementation.

Harry S. Truman

#1531590 --- 06/14/19 08:21 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

OMG you sound just like a democrat, ya know the people who just pull numbers out of the sky. You won't know what's in it till you pass it. You want people to think that B&L is leading the board down the wrong path, but didn't B&L do BOTH PATHS and give the board a choice ? The plan you don't like was put together as a best long term choice and wouldn't be implemented unless a grant was received to pay for most of it.
Lady would you like to ride a bicycle or a BMW to California ? and will you get there.

Edited by scwoodchuck (06/14/19 08:22 PM)

#1531592 --- 06/14/19 08:56 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

I am getting the numbers from the last B and L presentation on May 29, with Hillside plant and "conveyance" to Willard excluded.

Total cost of consolidation:

Plant: $18.3 million
Conveyance: $4.5 million

Total: $22.9 million

DOCCS contribution (requested): $10.3 million

State grant: $3.1 million

Net cost: $9.4 million

$9.4 million cost to users is not "most of it" especially since there is no commitment from the DOCCS yet.

Ask one of the supervisors who attended on May 29 meeting if you don't believe me.

Harry S. Truman

#1531594 --- 06/15/19 04:23 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

IT IS STILL IN PROGRESS. nobody has started anything yet and I do believe they are still looking for grants.

#1531597 --- 06/15/19 10:27 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Since Cuomo became Governor, grant applications and awards are consolidated, so "looking" for multiple grants is eliminated and maximum grant awards are easily enforced.

As I said before, the maximum grant is $5 million or 25% of project costs, whichever is less. In this case, $3.4 million.

But we shall see.

Harry S. Truman

#1531601 --- 06/15/19 04:55 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
John Q Public Offline

Loc: NY
IT IS STILL IN PROGRESS. nobody has started anything yet and I do believe they are still looking for grants.

Another one of your house of cards Chuckie.

#1531604 --- 06/15/19 06:44 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: John Q Public

DUH, you're so smart who was awarded the contract and when did they start digging ? No RFPs have gone out. No contract awarded and nobody is digging.

#1531605 --- 06/15/19 09:53 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

DUH, the fact that no one has broken ground doesn't mean the financial clock is not ticking. But all the money is going to the engineers to develop and revise the preliminary engineering report, revise it, run workshops and so forth. Almost $200,000 so far is my guess.

And almost none of the violations cited by DEC in February have been corrected.

Originally Posted By: John Q Public

DUH, you're so smart who was awarded the contract and when did they start digging ? No RFPs have gone out. No contract awarded and nobody is digging.

Harry S. Truman

#1531609 --- 06/16/19 06:35 AM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

of course the financial clock is ticking, the DEC fine for the violations is somewhere near $32,000 a day. That is what the fine was when the Village of Waterloo was in violation with their sewage treatment plant. But Teddy lied about that and the FLT wouldn't print the truth.

Edited by scwoodchuck (06/16/19 06:38 AM)

#1531676 --- 06/23/19 06:54 PM Re: Ovid, Lodi villages oppose central sewer plant, may go on own [Re: all seeing eye]
Pusher Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Has Ovid and Lodi hired an engineering firm yet or asked for bids on engineering yet? Or have they just wasted money on the all seeing eye for opinions? Have Ovid and Lodi signed an intermunicipal agreement for moving forawrd?

I dont think Ovid and Lodi have any money for the fix to the project, and grants are not going to cover the costs. You know who is the end users. Mostly due to the fact that no capital improvement funds are available. Lodi has been limping along for years by charging the bare minimum fees to the users and not having any funds allocated for repairs to their own sewer lines. Just slapping bandages over and over again on the force main at the town line pump station discharge side.

Not saying that building a new plant is the answer but the DEC will not wait for ever as the county and municipalities have been accustomed to in the past. Need to get off the pot as they say.

So quit fighting and offer solutions. Don't say what should not be done, say what can be done. Get a move on tick tock, tick tock...

Edited by Pusher (06/23/19 06:55 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >