FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1524980 --- 02/28/19 06:00 PM STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M

Published: 02/28/2019 @ 12:34 pm | Updated: 02/28/2019 @ 02:40 pm
http://fingerlakes1.com/2019/02/28/state...-cost-of-4-55m/

The Seneca Falls Municipal Building should have cost approximately $3.56 million, according to a report publicized by the State Comptroller’s Office.

Instead, it cost taxpayers $4.55 million.

The audit report, which outlines the process the Town of Seneca Falls went through to construct the municipal building – outlined the following findings:

– At the time, the Town Board established that $2.6 million would be used from its capital reserve for the project. The total cost exceeded $4.5 million.

– The Town failed to prepare an itemized project budget and did not appropriately monitor the project as it was completed.

– The State says 14 change orders, which totaled approximately $265,000 were not appropriately approved.

– The inadequate planning and management of the project resulted in the Town being forced to borrow $885,000 from the Tax Stabilization Reserve to finance the remaining cost.

Construction of the building was spurred by the Town Board, which served between 2012 and 2016. The former Town Hall was destroyed by a fire caused by arson in 2004. The Town Board previously used the St. Patrick’s school on Bayard Street as their home in the 10 year period between the two permanent facilities.

The goal of building a new facility on Ovid Street was to streamline services, and bring the Seneca Falls Police Department into the same building as the Town Offices.

The State’s audit was conducted over the last several months, and examined a period of time between January 1st, 2014 and July 10th, 2018.

In a letter released by auditors in the report, Town Supervisor Greg Lazzaro agreed with the findings. “If the Town undertakes any Capital Projects in the future the Town Supervisor will select a special committee for the purpose of overseeing the project,” the letter states. “The appointed committee will convene at least once per month with the project manager and engineers to oversee the expenditures, review any change orders, as well as review any cost overruns.”

Lazzaro’s letter also states that reports will be submitted to the full Town Board in those situations.

Auditors recommend an approval process for an initial project cost, and itemized capital project budget, which would include anticipated costs and financing methods. It would also include actual revenues and expenditures compared to approved budgets of those projects.

They note that change orders to the project should be passed before completion. That did not happen when the Municipal Building was constructed.

Auditors also noted that when reserve funding is used – compliance with applicable statutes and regulations is required.

Former Village Mayor Brad Jones, who is running for Town Supervisor, was disappointed by the findings. “The report released by the Office of the Comptroller (OTC) shows the lack of fiscal checks-and-balances with the current administration,” he explained. “The Town Board had the opportunity to share these significant cost overruns; but elected not to do so. I, along with my fellow town taxpayers, need to remain concerned knowing that additional audit findings will be released by the OTC over the course of the next few months. My pledge to the voters of Seneca Falls — transparency and honesty will be the new norm.”

FingerLakes1.com has reached out to the Town Board for additional comment. Those will be included as they are received.

Read Full Report Here

Harry S. Truman

FingerLakes1.com
#1524981 --- 02/28/19 06:29 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Wow. Nothing gets by you. This was all well known by anyone within a gas blow of knowing anything.

2.6 million is the insurance money from the fire. The town board sets it aside as a reserve fund because it must do that. That is how insurance works when paid to a municipality. They bought the policy with our taxes, they have to rebuild. They can’t blow it on something else.

Pete gets voted out because he proposes spending less and rebuilding the burned building. Like him or not, we were rewarded Don who approved a greater amount. I’m not sure where Don ends and Greg begins with the guilt of over spending. The builder is a piece of work and I hope he never comes back.

They spent way more than 2.6 and it takes this news item on FL1 for us to notice.

#1524983 --- 02/28/19 07:46 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Construction of the building was spurred by the Town Board, which served between 2012 and 2016. "

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/28/19 07:47 PM)

#1524984 --- 02/28/19 07:54 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog

I’m not sure where Don ends and Greg begins with the guilt of over spending. The builder is a piece of work and I hope he never comes back.

They spent way more than 2.6 and it takes this news item on FL1 for us to notice.
all seeing eye thinks she is a success because she spent her inheritance, and Greg is a failure because he inherited a huge mess. Brad Jones one of the creators of the HUGE mess now claims he is the hero who is going to fix it.

#1524985 --- 02/28/19 09:08 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

crazy I have NO IDEA what you are talking about!

Why are you attacking me personally? All I did was post an article from the FL1 newsfeed.

What am I doing to make you so afraid????

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Originally Posted By: Top Dog

I’m not sure where Don ends and Greg begins with the guilt of over spending. The builder is a piece of work and I hope he never comes back.

all seeing eye thinks she is a success because she spent her inheritance, and Greg is a failure because he inherited a huge mess. Brad Jones one of the creators of the HUGE mess now claims he is the hero who is going to fix it.

Edited by all seeing eye (02/28/19 09:36 PM)

Harry S. Truman

#1524986 --- 02/28/19 09:40 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

So, you were on the board between 2012 and 2016?

Otherwise, why would you be objecting to the audit?

Are the facts wrong?

Edited by all seeing eye (02/28/19 09:41 PM)

Harry S. Truman

#1524992 --- 03/01/19 06:53 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

That stuff is ancient history. Explain why you think the present board is responsible for something that happened before the present board members were elected. The people vote out anyone they disagree with and vote in someone worse, what's new about that.
Just wait till Avery is elected supervisor, so far he has done just the opposite of what he promised to get elected.

Edited by scwoodchuck (03/01/19 06:55 AM)

#1524996 --- 03/01/19 08:35 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

I think everyone who served on that Board from 2011 till the town hall opened, is responsible. Also, whoever processed and paid the change orders without approval from the board, whoever transferred money to pay the bills, and the auditors....who should have noticed something.

That stuff is ancient history. Explain why you think the present board is responsible for something that happened before the present board members were elected. The people vote out anyone they disagree with and vote in someone worse, what's new about that.
Just wait till Avery is elected supervisor, so far he has done just the opposite of what he promised to get elected.

Harry S. Truman

#1525007 --- 03/01/19 09:52 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

That's what happens when everyone on the board is green or crooked. Besides most politicians listen to the vocal minority and only think of getting re-elected and don't do what is best for the town. You are a classic example of that, you only care about the water bills for your "lake people" community. Besides you can't blame the current board when all they did was finish a building some idiot started.

Edited by scwoodchuck (03/01/19 09:54 AM)

#1525011 --- 03/01/19 10:43 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

That is complete nonsense. My goal has always been fair and equitable rates for all users. When the in district rate for water is $0.75 more than the out of district rate, then something wrong, and I shouldn't be the only one questioning it.

You should be looking at people trying to keep the rates unfair.

Besides, the "lake people" can afford the bills. You should care about the people in the hamlets, villages and Spring Meadows, who can't.

As to the current board, some joined in 2016 during the construction, when a lot of the cost overruns and change orders happened. They didn't decide to build the building but some of them over saw the construction.

You are a classic example of that, you only care about the water bills for your "lake people" community. Besides you can't blame the current board when all they did was finish a building some idiot started.

Edited by all seeing eye (03/01/19 03:09 PM)

Harry S. Truman

#1525026 --- 03/01/19 03:46 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

So obviously you don't understand how a CONTRACT works. And AH, some people in those hamlets pay less for water than the people in Waterloo where you buy the water, but that makes perfect sense to you I suppose.

#1525027 --- 03/01/19 05:49 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
John Q Public Online   content

Loc: NY
Chuck always telling others what they don't know or understand.

How can one who knows so much contribute so little? No need to answer.

#1525035 --- 03/01/19 09:31 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

[quote=scwoodchuck]So obviously you don't understand how a CONTRACT works.

Do you actually think there are contracts for any of this stuff, setting the calculation of rates, or for sewers, for calculating Units??? Seriously??? There are no local laws either.

And AH, some people in those hamlets pay less for water than the people in Waterloo where you buy the water, but that makes perfect sense to you I suppose.

Exactly my point. How can it cost less to buy water than to supply it?

Nice job pointing out the problem Chuck.

Now to get back to the actual purpose of the topic. What do people in SF think about all the money spent on the Taj Mahal, without any public disclosure?

Harry S. Truman

#1525036 --- 03/02/19 04:52 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

BY THE WAY YOU ARE THE ONE CHANGING THE SUBJECT

Do you actually think that the way to win the argument is to CHANGE THE SUBJECT. I talk about this
"Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M " because they had to sign a contract with the company that built the building, and the next thing ya know you switch to water and sewer. AND YES THERE ARE CONTRACTS FOR BUYING WATER FROM WATERLOO to set a price per unit not how many units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BESIDES THE COST OF WATER INCLUDES THE COST OF MAINTAINING THE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM. Water costs more if it gets to you through 10 miles of pipe than it does if it goes through one mile of pipe.

#1525037 --- 03/02/19 05:24 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: John Q Public

Are you aware that when Greg took over that building was so screwed up he actually thought of trying to sell it rather than fixing it ?

#1525038 --- 03/02/19 05:27 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

But aren't you the one the county paid $35,000 a year to fix the water and sewer problems ? You FAILED and they didn't renew your contract.

#1525046 --- 03/02/19 09:05 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: John Q Public]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Originally Posted By: John Q Public

Greg put himself between two enemies and tried to make friends with both sides. Does the phrase "between a rock and a hard place" come to mind ? When Greg finally saw the light he was in a tunnel and the train was coming.

#1525060 --- 03/02/19 10:03 PM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: all seeing eye]
Gdog Offline

If you want the truth on water, Whats the loss factor? How inaccurate and high mileage are the meters still in use? A water meter is you cash register. It will need calibration and or rebuilds after a couple hundred thousand gallons, You need a water dept. that is checking and rebuilding or replacing accordingly. The County district is not doing this. When was Five points meter calibrated last? this is the tip of the iceberg. This is what your paying for. LOSS!!! NYSDOH recommends loss factors to be under 10%. The district doesn't even know its loss factor.

Edited by Gdog (03/02/19 10:04 PM)

#1525066 --- 03/03/19 07:48 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: Gdog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Isn't that what the county paid " all seeing eye " $35,000 to fix ?

#1525071 --- 03/03/19 10:14 AM Re: STATE AUDITORS: Seneca Falls failed to oversee construction of Town Hall resulting in total cost of $4.55M [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

From July 2015, John Sheppard was paid $110,000 and one of his duties was to oversee water and sewer. As I recall it was Sheppard who didn't address the problems with the Kennedy Road master meter for the district, which caused the problems with paying Varick.

In 2017, the State Comptroller issued an audit that included recommendations to calculate the loss factors and address them. That should have included calibration of the meters. Nothing was done.

In January 2018, Sheppard and the BOS hired a Commissioner of Public Works, who has been responsible for meter calibration and repair/replacement. His starting salary was about $95,000.

I understand the meter for the Hamlet of Romulus is so broken that it actually reads less that the total of the residential meters. Bills issued by the County to the joint district (Romulus and Varick) showed CREDITS for having a "loss factor" of as much as minus 600,000 gallons/quarter.

And no one at the county noticed that the bills made no sense. You can't make this stuff up.

Edited by all seeing eye (03/03/19 10:24 AM)

Harry S. Truman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >