FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1524963 --- 02/27/19 12:39 PM Ontario Landfill....what a disaster
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
Knew this was coming....Casella cited with several violations for not having the correct number of methane collectors....fences falling down and odor violations....we allowed these guys to turn our local landfill into a mega landfill - taking trash from NYC and Canada and they cant even run it right....it was just a matter of time....now our tourists can smell garbage when they sip their wine...thanks Casella...

FingerLakes1.com
#1525956 --- 03/15/19 11:49 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Genevan]
Wolf King Offline

Loc: The Forest
Long time coming, I'm afraid.

#1526550 --- 03/22/19 08:01 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Genevan]
gassy one Offline

They can always look at the blue green algae caused by the runoff from the vineyards surrounding the lakes!

#1526690 --- 03/23/19 05:03 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Non-sequitur.

#1526722 --- 03/24/19 06:26 AM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: gassy one]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: gassy one
They can always look at the blue green algae caused by the runoff from the vineyards surrounding the lakes!
The smell of cow and pig manure hasn't stopped the tourists from shopping at the Waterloo Outlet Mall

#1526809 --- 03/25/19 03:01 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

Non-sequitur.
I could say that about every statement you make!

#1527092 --- 03/28/19 11:38 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: scwoodchuck]
Wolf King Offline

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
The smell of cow and pig manure hasn't stopped the tourists from shopping at the Waterloo Outlet Mall

Hmm. It's almost as if the aroma of manure is not nearly as offensive as that of millions of tons of rotting human filth. Hmm.

#1527870 --- 04/07/19 09:20 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Genevan]
Kells Online   content

The landfills need to be limited to local trash - MAYBE regional - and closed when their certs expire. This community gave them an inch, and then they took a mile - and stunk that mile up with garbage juice.

#1527873 --- 04/08/19 02:02 AM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Kells]
Wolf King Offline

Originally Posted By: Kells
The landfills need to be limited to local trash - MAYBE regional - and closed when their certs expire. This community gave them an inch, and then they took a mile - and stunk that mile up with garbage juice.

Truth. Preach.

#1527895 --- 04/08/19 11:53 AM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Non-sequitur.
I could say that about every statement you make!

You could, and you'd be wrong.

Now, do you have anything relevant to contribute instead of making vapid "I know you are, but what am I?" interjections and trying to distract from the subject at hand?

#1531427 --- 06/02/19 12:21 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Kells]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Kells
Obviously you know nothing about landfills! There's no way a landfill could make it financially just taking local trash. Garbage shouldn't be buried anyway it should be used as a commodity to make usable products like fuels or to generate electricity.

Edited by gassy one (06/02/19 12:22 PM)

#1531464 --- 06/06/19 09:05 AM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Genevan]
rock 963 Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Timbo. You at first blame us for "allowing" Casella to do what they're doing and then blame Casella for doing what we allowed them to do. Makes no sense.

#1531465 --- 06/06/19 12:16 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: rock 963]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: rock 963
I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Timbo. You at first blame us for "allowing" Casella to do what they're doing and then blame Casella for doing what we allowed them to do. Makes no sense.

My issue is with gassy attempting to dodge the issue of Casella's many conspicuous abuses by injecting an utterly unrelated topic into the discussion.

Agricultural runoff is also an issue, but one that has an arguably lesser impact on the environment, on tourism and on overall quality of life. It deserves it's own evidence-based arguments, without being employed as a distraction or smokescreen.

He's notorious for his duplicitous "what about-isms."

#1531466 --- 06/06/19 12:24 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck

Do you have any actual evidence to support that statement, or are we simply to take your 'expert' opinion as gospel?

#1531477 --- 06/07/19 09:41 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

My issue is with gassy attempting to dodge the issue of Casella's many conspicuous abuses by injecting an utterly unrelated topic into the discussion.

Agricultural runoff is also an issue, but one that has an arguably lesser impact on the environment, on tourism and on overall quality of life. It deserves it's own evidence-based arguments, without being employed as a distraction or smokescreen.

To say blue green algae has a lesser effect on tourism and quality of life is stupid at best! It effects drinking water quality and volumes of tourists. Only people like you Timbi would swim or boat in blue green algae.

#1531478 --- 06/07/19 11:00 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

To say blue green algae has a lesser effect on tourism and quality of life is stupid at best! It effects drinking water quality and volumes of tourists. Only people like you Timbi would swim or boat in blue green algae.

And only people like you highjack forum threads when the debate takes an inconvenient turn that flies in the face of your pathological defense of an industry (in general) and a company (more specifically) which engage in indiscriminate deception on a daily basis.

Perhaps you should spend less time cheer-leading and more time learning. May I kindly suggest that you begin with a cursory glance at a dictionary:

-------------------------

arguably

adverb

it may be argued (used to qualify the statement of an opinion or belief).
"she is arguably the greatest woman tennis player of all time"

synonyms: possibly, conceivably, feasibly, plausibly, probably, maybe, perhaps, potentially; debatably, contestably, controversially
"these criteria are exceedingly vague and arguably provide too much scope for judicial interpretation"

-----------------------

smoke screen

noun

a cloud of smoke created to conceal military operations.
a ruse designed to disguise someone's real intentions or activities.
"he tried to create a smokescreen by quibbling about the statistics"

#1531519 --- 06/10/19 12:26 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

And only people like you highjack forum threads when the debate takes an inconvenient turn that flies in the face of your pathological defense of an industry (in general) and a company (more specifically) which engage in indiscriminate deception on a daily basis.

Perhaps you should spend less time cheer-leading and more time learning. May I kindly suggest that you begin with a cursory glance at a dictionary:

-------------------------

arguably

adverb

it may be argued (used to qualify the statement of an opinion or belief).
"she is arguably the greatest woman tennis player of all time"

synonyms: possibly, conceivably, feasibly, plausibly, probably, maybe, perhaps, potentially; debatably, contestably, controversially
"these criteria are exceedingly vague and arguably provide too much scope for judicial interpretation"

-----------------------

smoke screen

noun

a cloud of smoke created to conceal military operations.
a ruse designed to disguise someone's real intentions or activities.
"he tried to create a smokescreen by quibbling about the statistics"
The problem is people like you who like to go after big corporations but whose liberal buddies, proclaimed tree hugging buddies are doing the same thing! Can u say hypocrite? By the way this isn't English class
so who cares!

Edited by gassy one (06/10/19 12:29 PM)

#1531555 --- 06/12/19 02:29 AM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

WHAT are you babbling about now?

May I suggest trying that again... in English this ti...

Oh, wait, what was I thinking?

#1531556 --- 06/12/19 02:50 AM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

The problem is people like you who like to go after big corporations but whose liberal buddies, proclaimed tree hugging buddies are doing the same thing! Can u say hypocrite?

Who are these so-called 'tree-huggers' you refer to?

NO ONE is doing the same thing. There's categorically NO comparison between that of the highly complex, reactive chemical soup that WITHOUT EXCEPTION inevitably escapes from ALL dumps, and that of chemically simple, short-lived agricultural waste. Both are legitimate issues. BUT... the long term effects and risk are simply INCOMPARABLE.

Also, don't make the mistake of presuming that agriculture operates only in the purview of small, mom-and-pop family businesses. Agriculture is now driven by multi-billion $ mega-industry, and as such, it operates with much the same reckless disregard for environmental issues as ANY other big profit venture like virtually every other landfill going.

When big bucks are are involved, all bets are off. So, I'll continue to put my efforts towards keeping the "big corporations" honest. The science is in, and in the long term, agricultural runoff (while still a serious issue) poses nowhere near the level of long-term risk as that of any withering landfill around. So, the problem actually is scientifically illiterate people who don't know what they're talking about and (due to personal self-interest) try to insert false equivalencies into the discussion.

Some un-biased FACTS:

Studies Show the Horrid Health Effects of Landfill Exposure:
https://intpolicydigest.org/2018/12/08/studies-show-the-horrid-health-effects-of-landfill-exposure/

What Is Farm Runoff Doing To The Water? Scientists Wade In:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201...For-Crop-Runoff

#1531566 --- 06/13/19 09:10 PM Re: Ontario Landfill....what a disaster [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

The problem is people like you who like to go after big corporations but whose liberal buddies, proclaimed tree hugging buddies are doing the same thing! Can u say hypocrite?

Who are these so-called 'tree-huggers' you refer to?

NO ONE is doing the same thing. There's categorically NO comparison between that of the highly complex, reactive chemical soup that WITHOUT EXCEPTION inevitably escapes from ALL dumps, and that of chemically simple, short-lived agricultural waste. Both are legitimate issues. BUT... the long term effects and risk are simply INCOMPARABLE.

Also, don't make the mistake of presuming that agriculture operates only in the purview of small, mom-and-pop family businesses. Agriculture is now driven by multi-billion $ mega-industry, and as such, it operates with much the same reckless disregard for environmental issues as ANY other big profit venture like virtually every other landfill going.

When big bucks are are involved, all bets are off. So, I'll continue to put my efforts towards keeping the "big corporations" honest. The science is in, and in the long term, agricultural runoff (while still a serious issue) poses nowhere near the level of long-term risk as that of any withering landfill around. So, the problem actually is scientifically illiterate people who don't know what they're talking about and (due to personal self-interest) try to insert false equivalencies into the discussion.

Some un-biased FACTS:

Studies Show the Horrid Health Effects of Landfill Exposure:
https://intpolicydigest.org/2018/12/08/studies-show-the-horrid-health-effects-of-landfill-exposure/

What Is Farm Runoff Doing To The Water? Scientists Wade In:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201...For-Crop-Runoff

I see you know as much about landfills as you proclaim to know about anything else which is nothing! If leachate was exciting landfill sites as you propose why doesn't it show up in numerous monitoring wells around the landfills? Ask the tourism people what the long term effects on tourism blue green algae has on them. Keep covering up for your liberal buddies aka. the winery owners who proclaim to have the best interests of the lakes in mind when they are actually some of the biggest polluters of the main sources of our drinking water!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >