FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1524593 --- 02/16/19 02:54 PM Huntington Bldg - Historic?
ProAct Offline

Loc: New York State, Seneca County
I heard that the vacant lot across the street from the Huntington Bldg is owned by a member of the SF Town's Preservation Committee. Also, that this owner does not want a gas station across from his vacant lot.

If this is true, it is a conflict of interest. This member should resign from the committee.

Every historic situation that happened in this town, did not happened at the Huntington Bldg. What a stretch of the imagination.

I do not believe the Huntington Bldg has any significant historic interest. What an injustice if the owner of the Huntington Bldg is not able to sell it.

FingerLakes1.com
#1524594 --- 02/16/19 03:51 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: ProAct]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Originally Posted By: ProAct
I heard that the vacant lot across the street from the Huntington Bldg is owned by a member of the SF Town's Preservation Committee. Also, that this owner does not want a gas station across from his vacant lot.

If this is true, it is a conflict of interest. This member should resign from the committee.

Every historic situation that happened in this town, did not happened at the Huntington Bldg. What a stretch of the imagination.

I do not believe the Huntington Bldg has any significant historic interest. What an injustice if the owner of the Huntington Bldg is not able to sell it.
And a worse injustice if they make him restore it.

#1524689 --- 02/18/19 08:30 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: ProAct]
John Q Public Offline

Loc: NY
It has been said there is an interested buyer that would save and restore the current structure. Seems like a win-win. Sure better than a 12 Bay Gas Station as a gateway to Downtown Seneca Falls.

#1524697 --- 02/19/19 07:24 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: John Q Public]
FLHTCUI-XL1200R Offline

Loc: Fingha Lakes
"Sure better than a 12 Bay Gas Station as a gateway to Downtown Seneca Falls"

Yeah wouldn't want Mt Trashmore to loose that honour

#1524770 --- 02/19/19 06:24 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: ProAct]
John Q Public Offline

The last time I checked two wrongs don't make a right.

#1524781 --- 02/20/19 10:53 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: John Q Public]
Hello_Governer Offline

talk about WRONGS, this guy is not even quoting the right section of the TOWN LAW MANUAL. Maybe he should start at page one instead of cherry picking a sentence or two that sounds like what he's talking about.

https://www.fltimes.com/opinion/letters_...91177124fe.html

#1524821 --- 02/21/19 01:38 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: Hello_Governer]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
The online version doesn't have page numbers. I'll be back in New York Monday we can look it up.

To what extent may residents of a town participate in meetings of the town board?
(1) A town board has the right to promulgate rules of procedure for the orderly conduct of its meetings and for the proper management of the business and affairs of the town (Town Law § 63). The town board may invite and permit residents of the town to participate therein so long as such participation is orderly and constructive and does not interfere with the business and purpose of the meeting. To carry out its purposes, the town board may prepare and circulate an agenda limiting the time and scope of the discussion by persons attending such meetings. This Department has stated that ‘in general, the public is free to attend regular town board meetings,’ but does not have a right to speak at a town board meeting except as provided by board rules.3 ‘The town board may adopt rules and procedure limiting discussion of matters before the board.’ (22 Op. St. Comp. No. 311, 1966)

#1524839 --- 02/21/19 08:53 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
I think the point is, and you made it well, is that the Town Board sets the rules of procedures for the conduct of the meetings, not the Supervisor alone.

If the board rule is no one speaks, then the public cannot speak. If the rule is that public comment is limited to certain parts of the meeting, then that is the only public comment. If the rules are silent and the Town Board allows and sometimes encourages public comment, as many do, then public comment can be allowed.

I too have noticed reports about the Supervisor limiting public comments, including, recently the Town Clerk:

"Town Clerk Nicaletta Greer asked if she could say something; Lazzaro said she could not."

So I agree with you, the Town Board should adopt rules for meetings and make sure they are followed by everyone, including the Supervisor. (But there is no excuse for anyone being nasty or rude, as some of these reports sound.)

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck

To what extent may residents of a town participate in meetings of the town board?
(1) A town board has the right to promulgate rules of procedure for the orderly conduct of its meetings and for the proper management of the business and affairs of the town (Town Law § 63). The town board may invite and permit residents of the town to participate therein so long as such participation is orderly and constructive and does not interfere with the business and purpose of the meeting. To carry out its purposes, the town board may prepare and circulate an agenda limiting the time and scope of the discussion by persons attending such meetings. This Department has stated that ‘in general, the public is free to attend regular town board meetings,’ but does not have a right to speak at a town board meeting except as provided by board rules.3 ‘The town board may adopt rules and procedure limiting discussion of matters before the board.’ (22 Op. St. Comp. No. 311, 1966)

Harry S. Truman

#1524845 --- 02/22/19 06:17 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: all seeing eye]
Hello_Governer Offline

Well I know for a fact that when there is a lot of business on the agenda they tend to do away with public participation. Then there are times when the same few people constantly say the same things over and over and the board gets sick of hearing it. That is especially true when it is well known that what these "same few people" are presenting is " FALSE INFORMATION " When the town clerk wasn't allowed to speak it was because it was a matter that should not be discussed in public because doing so might change the outcome. Personnel matters, contract negotiations, and law suits are not to be discussed in public.
QuoteC. Items which can be discussed. The courts have held that the town board motion to enter into executive session must identify with "particularity" the subject to be discussed. As one court stated: "It is insufficient to merely regurgitate the statutory language; to wit, 'discussions regarding proposed, pending or current litigation.’ This boilerplate recitation does not comply with the intent of the statute." [Daily Gazette Co., Inc. v. Town of Cobleskill, 111 Misc.2d 303 (Sup. Ct. Schoharie Co. (1981)] Only the following matters specified in Public Officers Law § 105 may be discussed and acted upon in an executive session:
(1) A matter which will imperil the public safety if it is disclosed;
(2) A matter which may disclose the identity of a law enforcement agent or informer;
(3) Information with respect to investigation or prosecution of a criminal offense which would jeopardize effective law enforcement if disclosed;
(4) Discussions relating to proposed, pending or current litigation;
(5) Matters relating to collective negotiations under the Taylor Law;
(6) Medical, financial, credit or employment history of a particular person or corporation, or relating to appointment, promotion, demotion, discipline or removal;
(7) Preparation, grading or administration of examinations;
(8) Acquisition, lease or sale of real property or securities when publicity would substantially affect the value.
D. Personnel matters or litigation. Executive sessions are most frequently used to discuss personnel matters or litigation.

Edited by Hello_Governer (02/22/19 06:35 AM)

#1524846 --- 02/22/19 06:39 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: Hello_Governer]
Hello_Governer Offline

Thanks Chuck this online town law manual is handy.

By the way what the Historic Preservation Committee is doing is destroying the value of the Huntington property.

Edited by Hello_Governer (02/22/19 06:42 AM)

#1524848 --- 02/22/19 08:36 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
I think the point is, and you made it well, is that the Town Board sets the rules of procedures for the conduct of the meetings, not the Supervisor alone.

If the board rule is no one speaks, then the public cannot speak. If the rule is that public comment is limited to certain parts of the meeting, then that is the only public comment. If the rules are silent and the Town Board allows and sometimes encourages public comment, as many do, then public comment can be allowed.

I too have noticed reports about the Supervisor limiting public comments, including, recently the Town Clerk:

"Town Clerk Nicaletta Greer asked if she could say something; Lazzaro said she could not."

So I agree with you, the Town Board should adopt rules for meetings and make sure they are followed by everyone, including the Supervisor. (But there is no excuse for anyone being nasty or rude, as some of these reports sound.)

OH MAN, how many times do I have to tell you that you need to get your information from a reliable source. Of course your real intention is to mislead the public for personal gain. That's why I watch the videos and don't take anything in the newspaper as fact. Ever notice that some people are quoted word for word and others are not. Most newspaper articles are edited to promote the writer's personal agenda or to undermine the opposition.

#1524850 --- 02/22/19 09:11 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

(c) A town board meeting is an important legislative session, and it can no more be
disrupted or invaded than can a session of the U.S. Congress or that of a State Legislature. On the other hand, town officers pride themselves that town government is the one government close to the people and available to them. When there is a long agenda and local citizens are in the audience, it may be wise to set the agenda aside and to ask these people if there is some matter they care to take up with the town board. The rules should only be strictly enforced if there appears to be an angry mob present and the board desires that things do not get out of hand.

#1524855 --- 02/22/19 11:59 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Chuck. My source was your post. AND I agreed with you.

OH MAN, how many times do I have to tell you that you need to get your information from a reliable source. Of course your real intention is to mislead the public for personal gain. That's why I watch the videos and don't take anything in the newspaper as fact. Ever notice that some people are quoted word for word and others are not. Most newspaper articles are edited to promote the writer's personal agenda or to undermine the opposition.

Harry S. Truman

#1524876 --- 02/22/19 04:19 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

" Chuck. My source was your post. AND I agreed with you. "

Really ? so explain why you think it is that the supervisor acted alone in his decision? I know for a fact that he didn't act alone. Also lets us know how you came to the conclusion that the board has no rules about how meetings are run.

(2) Executive powers. A town board, as a group, is the executive head of the town, there being no true executive in town government comparable with the status of a mayor of a city or village, or with the governor of the state. Thus, while the supervisor presides at town board meetings and may be assigned certain powers of administration and supervision, the additional duties and responsibilities of the supervisor are only those which result from that position's statutory role as town treasurer. See Town Law §§ 29 and 125 for a description of those duties. Many state statutes, despite the distinctions just mentioned, still refer to supervisor of a town as the "chief executive officer" for the limited purposes of the statute in which the reference appears.

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/22/19 04:22 PM)

#1524877 --- 02/22/19 05:11 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

I thought we agreed that, not allowing public comment and other rules about the conduct of meetings, was a board decision.

Now you are saying the supervisor "did not act alone. " You are not saying that there was a motion and and vote by the board, which is how boards act.

You are carefully choosing your words, so was it a board decision or not?

Harry S. Truman

#1524878 --- 02/22/19 05:29 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

you are carefully TWISTING my words. How do you know that the board doesn't allow the supervisor make that decision when the meeting is going to last over 2 hours. Or how do you know the other 4 board members didn't have input in making that decision ?

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/22/19 05:32 PM)

#1524879 --- 02/22/19 05:35 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

I thought we agreed that, not allowing public comment and other rules about the conduct of meetings, was a board decision.

Now you are saying the supervisor "did not act alone. " You are not saying that there was a motion and and vote by the board, which is how boards act.

You are carefully choosing your words, so was it a board decision or not?
Now they have to have a meeting before the meeting to decide how the meeting will go, BEAUTIFULL
SHOULD THEY ALLOW PUBLIC COMMENT AT A MEETING BEFORE THE MEETING crazy

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/22/19 05:38 PM)

#1524887 --- 02/22/19 07:00 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: ProAct]
John Q Public Offline

Another thread departing from its topic. Oh well. Ok, I'll deflect too. How about the results of the SF Republican Committee's endorsements last night?

#1524888 --- 02/22/19 08:39 PM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: John Q Public]
Hello_Governer Offline

The entire town is dysfunctional and the Historic Preservation Commission is a big part of it. As far as the SF Republican Committee's endorsements last night, that's what happens when a small group of neurotic individuals tries to control town government. Good people are driven out and the smart people won't have anything to do with it. If you don't want your children and grandchildren bullied by other kids and adults don't run for office in that TOXIC TOWN !

Edited by Hello_Governer (02/22/19 09:28 PM)

#1524889 --- 02/23/19 06:01 AM Re: Huntington Bldg - Historic? [Re: Hello_Governer]
scwoodchuck Offline

Up early and heading north. I wanted to make this trip by car one more time. It's unbelievable how much this country has changed. The growth and development makes it difficult to recognize the places I've been to so many times before. It's heartbreaking to realize just how far New York has been left behind. It's no wonder why our children are leaving. By clinging to our past could we be destroying our future ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >