FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1520939 --- 12/19/18 06:59 AM Snow Removal
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
This is so cool! The Town of Seneca Falls is now going to remove snow and ice from my sidewalk after 9:00 every day following snowfall. What is even better, I don't have to pay for it until my taxes are due. Do they plan to do lawns too?

FingerLakes1.com
#1520941 --- 12/19/18 09:37 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
The "vocal minority" wins again, costing tax payers money.

#1520996 --- 12/22/18 10:16 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
ProAct Offline

Loc: New York State, Seneca County
SNOW REMOVAL REMINDER From the SF Town Board was not well thought out and was heartless.

I am 78 years old and have a physical condition that prevents me from removing heavy snow or ice myself. Snow and ice removal from my property is usually done within 24 hrs.

Snow & ice removal from residential and business properties that are vacant and neglected is NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY. It seems that the Town Board thinks otherwise.

If some citizen in this town needs to walk, they should check out the walking schedule at the high school and the Community Center. In inclement weather and on sidewalks not shoveled, they should not be attempting to walk on.

TO THE SF TOWN BOARD. Please rescind this reminder (directive), think situation out more clearly, ask for input from residents and store owners, then attempt to make a decision we can live with.

BY THE WAY: What Watertown and Rochester do during snow removal time, should not be determining factor in SF's decision.

Also on Ovid St, State plows, during snow storms, speed down the street, leaving piles of ice & snow all times of the day and night on sidewalks and it is often hard to keep up with.

Please, Please use your common sense.

#1520997 --- 12/22/18 11:26 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Town ordinance used to require snow to be removed from walks no later than 24 hours after the snowfall stopped. When did that change?

#1521011 --- 12/24/18 04:25 PM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Amen.
Ref: "TO THE SF TOWN BOARD. Please rescind this reminder (directive), think situation out more clearly, ask for input from residents and store owners, then attempt to make a decision we can live with.

BY THE WAY: What Watertown and Rochester do during snow removal time, should not be determining factor in SF's decision.

Also on Ovid St, State plows, during snow storms, speed down the street, leaving piles of ice & snow all times of the day and night on sidewalks and it is often hard to keep up with.

Please, Please use your common sense.

Let's monitor the board members property 100%,see how many follow their stupid rules,bet not many!

#1521017 --- 12/26/18 04:47 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
cwanky Offline

Loc: new york
the former village and now the town supplies residents with the proper trash containers to allow all of the citizen faithful to meet the law of trash disposal established by the village / town.
To continue in the same vein then the town should supply every citizen with the proper equipment to remove and melt snow and ice. At minimum a quality snow shovel and sufficient volumes of salt to meet the requirements of the town to manage the snow fall.
Additionally many of us actually do not own the property that is the sidewalk around our homes.
So check your property maps and if you discover the sidewalk where you live is not your property or only 1/2 your property please inform the town board of your expectation the town will manage snow removal on the properties they own to the same rules they impose upon us.

Lastly when the town uses the mouth of your freshly shoveled driveway as the depository for the snow they clean off the street in front of your home call them and remind them they have 24 hours to return and rescue your blocked driveway

Edited by cwanky (12/26/18 04:53 AM)

#1521020 --- 12/26/18 10:14 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: cwanky]
scwoodchuck Offline

Gee, wouldn't it make more sense to just make the streets wider ? Chances are that they will be digging them up for some other reason anyway. Then instead of driving around plowing with the WING up, you could plow everything at once. But please don't think out of the box !

#1521492 --- 01/07/19 11:35 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
deadphilosopher Offline

Loc: New York
So, I am wondering as I have not seen anything on this since the mailing and what i understood was that the law wasn't even in place yet. If it snows between 7 am and 9 am in the morning after everyone has gone to work is that a violation of the snow removal? Also if it snows at 9:01 am does that mean I don't have to clear the sidewalks until 9am the next morning. Also, if we get a snow storm that dumps a lot of snow over 48 hours and the town is not plowing the streets I still have to have the sidewalks cleared by 9am each day even though the plows are not clearing the streets? Is this just another money grab by the town?

#1521495 --- 01/07/19 12:19 PM Re: Snow Removal [Re: deadphilosopher]
scwoodchuck Offline

typical of Seneca Falls the pompous dictate, and I don't mean the board

pomp·ous
[ˈpämpəs]

ADJECTIVE
affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important.
"a pompous sss who pretends he knows everything"
synonyms:
self-important;imperious;overbearing;domineering;magisterial;pontifical;sententious;grandiose;affected;stiff;pretentious;puffed up; arrogant; vain ;haughty ;proud; conceited; egotistic; supercilious; condescending; patronizing; snooty; uppity; uppish; bombastic; high-sounding; declamatory; sonorous; portentous; pedantic

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/07/19 12:33 PM)

#1521991 --- 01/11/19 07:06 PM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
Lee Alias Offline

Loc: NY,Seneca, Seneca Falls
So did any property owners get fined, today? Driving through town, many side walks were not cleared. I know that the Zoning Officer picks & chooses what he wants to enforce.

#1522024 --- 01/13/19 10:38 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Lee Alias]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
I waited past the deadline and nobody showed up to clear my sidewalk.

Are they offering garden mulch services this year?

#1522255 --- 01/15/19 05:31 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
I waited past the deadline and nobody showed up to clear my sidewalk.

Are they offering garden mulch services this year?
you should have had Josh come over and take pictures, isn't that what started this whole mess in the first place.

#1522668 --- 01/18/19 12:47 PM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
Crabby Offline

Loc: In the wind
If the property owners are responsible for clearing walks, why does the town, routinely, clear part of Fall St. and all of the walks along 5&20 to 414?

#1522684 --- 01/18/19 01:57 PM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Top Dog]
Lee Alias Offline

Loc: NY,Seneca, Seneca Falls
I was driving by the Town Office today & many homes on Ovid St., especially adjacent to the Town Office driveway, sidewalks were covered with snow & not just fresh snow, from last night!! So again, the Town picks & chooses what & when they want to enforce a law or code!!!

#1522941 --- 01/21/19 08:32 AM Re: Snow Removal [Re: Lee Alias]
scwoodchuck Offline

WELL ?