FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1519545 --- 09/13/18 07:44 PM 12% tax increase due to Library?
Let's be frank Offline

Loc: NY
Anyone else out there experience a 12% increase in school tax due to the LIBRARY?? I love and use the library; willing to pay my fair share, but that past 2 years the library concentrates on giving "disadvantaged kids" FREE lunches...this should not be a function of a library. Moreover, a couple of times I could not even ENTER the library becaause there were so many "hoodied" teens on the steps (making comments) that I did not even feel welcome.

Give me a FREE LUNCH sometime and...get rid of the trash on the steps who taunt regular users, then I won't feel so bad about giving an extra 12% in property taxes

FingerLakes1.com
#1519560 --- 09/14/18 06:05 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Let's be frank]
Tacitus Offline

The free lunch program was from a grant (and possibly, indirectly, your taxes as well) not from their tax-supported budget.

#1519561 --- 09/14/18 06:55 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Tacitus]
Let's be frank Offline

So what WAS the 12% increase for???? Our pensions and social security checks did not receive a 12% increase. When you want DIVERSITY in Geneva - does that include SENIORS on a limited (but not asking for handouts) budget???

#1519562 --- 09/14/18 06:59 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Let's be frank]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
Originally Posted By: Let's be frank
Anyone else out there experience a 12% increase in school tax due to the LIBRARY?? I love and use the library; willing to pay my fair share, but that past 2 years the library concentrates on giving "disadvantaged kids" FREE lunches...this should not be a function of a library. Moreover, a couple of times I could not even ENTER the library becaause there were so many "hoodied" teens on the steps (making comments) that I did not even feel welcome.

Give me a FREE LUNCH sometime and...get rid of the trash on the steps who taunt regular users, then I won't feel so bad about giving an extra 12% in property taxes

In regard to a free lunch program, gets some information on who qualify because every child in the city of Geneva school district can exercise the use of the program unless you pocess data showing that ALL students are willing to pay regardless. Be careful in the usage of the word "TRASH" take a good look at any landfill, trash comes in an assorted array of shape, size and color and any articulation to support the 12 % increase based on a change of venue if "disadvantaged" kids are taken off the roll reveals ignorance along with a certain degree of racism and bigotry. FYI, .002 percent of the school district staff are minority while the student body is 58%, how many minority police officers does Geneva pocess while the demographic shows a minority population of 60%? where is your astonishment or outcry in those disparities? Show your displeasure but Geneva do possess a certain degree of residents who like to voice their displeasures in the wrong place. I speak from experience being that I grew up in the Finger Lakes among good and bad people and guess what? some good came out of the old "Chartres home" and some bad people resided in the outskirts owning upscaled dwellings.

#1519563 --- 09/14/18 07:31 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Let's be frank]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Let's be frank
So what WAS the 12% increase for???? Our pensions and social security checks did not receive a 12% increase. When you want DIVERSITY in Geneva - does that include SENIORS on a limited (but not asking for handouts) budget???

Have you ever heard the term "redlining" ? it's a well known practice designed to keep certain people out of particular areas in an effort to keep home value up, guess who take advantage of said practices when your house is valued at 2 hundred thousand plus and imagine the anger instilled in a minority that makes in excess of upper income while possessing good credit but can't purchase a home in selective areas. Some people are placed at a disadvantage not based on laziness or lack of skill and education but are relegated to deal with a system shadowing that of Apartheid in the continent of Africa. It's now wonder that Geneva's demographic is predominately that of affluent Whites and poor minorities. This is nothing new but has been a trend for the last 60 years in the city, maybe you'll get an ideal of why the demographics are such. I know, being an old country boy from Seneca county, I wanted to place my children in a diverse environment but it's rather difficult when lending institutes employ people who's home values must be protected. whistle

#1519564 --- 09/14/18 08:41 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Formermac]
Let's be frank Offline

Apartheid?? Really??? SOME people are placed at a disadvantage not based on being a minority...some people are at a disadvantage because they are seniors living on a very limited income. They have worked hard all their lives (sometimes in 2 or 3 jobs), paid taxes (and continue to do so on a very limited income), given their ALL in years of volunteer work to ALL communities....only to receive a meager social security check and then see their taxes go UP 12%, yet their COLA was less than 1%. You categorize it as either AFFLUENT Whites or POOR Minorities...in other words - to you, DIVERSITY is only about racial diversity, not economic diversity? Meaning....if one is White one must be affluent? I know people in Geneva of ALL racial groups who suffer economic disadvantage and few are "lazy" or "lacking in skills & education"

#1519566 --- 09/14/18 10:18 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Let's be frank]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

I'm not getting into a debate with you for one solitary reason, I'm assuming that you're a white male and unless you can state otherwise, me,being a Black male educated at Buffalo State, working 34 years as an electrician and owning a business, your notes and mines records two entirely different scripts. Bottom line, you're in an assuming position falsely believing that you know the ills of society but never understanding the fact that many times that you are part of the problem. laugh

#1519568 --- 09/14/18 10:42 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Formermac]
Let's be frank Offline

never assume, Formermac - I'm an elderly Hispanic male with an undergraduate degree from Pace University. Last I heard, we are considered persons of color" (but that depends who is doing the enumerating...we ARE "persons of color" when it's convenient statistically, but more often than not - when it's more convenient not to count us as minorities, we suddenly are called "white" although many of us are Black)

#1519569 --- 09/14/18 10:48 AM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Let's be frank]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Great, now you can understand nor forget the struggles of your forefather...right???????

#1519596 --- 09/15/18 02:04 PM Re: 12% tax increase due to Library? [Re: Let's be frank]
Tacitus Offline

Lets be Frank, how many dollars did the 12% amount to?