FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1519522 --- 09/13/18 10:55 AM Poor Geneva...
Let's be frank Offline

Loc: NY
The closing of Geneva Tops is depressing to watch. Soon (very soon!) we will have no Tops. We have no Aldi's (yet smaller towns do). The supposed Applebees that was to have been built in front of Lowe's never got built. It feels like Geneva is a terminally-ill patient that is shutting down. I wish we could point to the Welcome Center as a triumph (and it is beautiful!) but we've all heard the contraversy over the COST of some items within....$1,000. per metal frame, etc.

FingerLakes1.com
#1519527 --- 09/13/18 01:10 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Let's be frank]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
I am extremely excited for Geneva right now.

Tops was not cutting it. The corporation expanded too rapidly, took on too much debt, and tried to pass it on to customers. Fortunately for consumers, they could choose not to pay for Tops corporate mistakes and save money by shopping elsewhere. Geneva still has a thriving Wegmans, and WalMart. This will probably present an attractive opportunity for a discount grocer to move in.

Applebees? Geneva has a multitude of better, locally owned, and award winning dining options. I'd much rather see locally owned stores thriving over Applebees. Ponder-grossa and Club Denny's is probably all that the Geneva market can bare right now in terms of that type of food.

Time will tell as to whether the visitor center was a good investment. It certainly has attracted a lot of visitors thus far.

The Geneva lakefront has never looked better, even though it unfortunately doesn't have a rusting abandoned vacant steel structure taking up space (no offense to the communities that do).

The Seneca Canal Trail now connects Waterloo to Geneva and is great for bicycling, walking and jogging.

There's a condo development going up by the lakefront tunnel.

For the first time in many many many years, Linden Street is fully tenanted (with the exception of 29 Linden Street --TBD).

Cheribundi recently expanded into the old Tops building and created new jobs.

Exciting things are happening at Cornell AgriTech and HWS.

#1519528 --- 09/13/18 01:25 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
LOL, you sound like a city employee or politician. One of the biggest reason(s) I left the city is for the following, very high property taxes, where are the high paying jobs as well as a diverse police force along with diverse school employment?

#1519529 --- 09/13/18 01:47 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Based on friends & relatives still living in the area, the trend seems to support upper income living along with tourism but poverty and crime seems to be the opposing downside. My childhood era took pride in graduating from high school and going to college or working for the several entities in adjoining Seneca County and purchasing a home in the outlying areas. Last visit I note a lot of homes for sale while observing many zombie home which are now being addressed but way too many minimal jobs at places such as you mention, Denny's, Ponderosa, Hampton Inn and the Ramada, while town dweller dock their boats along the lake. I admire and can mimic your take on the great assets the city has to offers but lets address Canandaigua sending all it's unwanted tenants to the city of Geneva while possessing a failing school system and overwhelmed police department. If the city leaders shirk their future duties, you'll have three remaining entries, prestigious colleges, a renaissance of stores but high crime along with low income and unemployed citizens.

#1519536 --- 09/13/18 05:52 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Let's be frank]
FLaker Offline

With the property tax deduction and STAR program, I don't have any major gripes with the property taxes in the City of Geneva. I've never been impacted by crime here, and the traffic in Geneva is negligible. My five minute commute is perfect.

Coming from a city with a lot of violent crime, terrible traffic, poorly maintained roads, long lines, impatient people, and fees and taxes for everything but breathing, Geneva is ideal. Perhaps a little slow paced, but almost ideal nonetheless.

#1519537 --- 09/13/18 06:07 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Explain the excessive amount of homes going up for sale and at a reduced value in regard to real assessment?, I have citation if you need it, 60 % of Geneva's property is exempt, totally unacceptable. why would my nephew (A police officer himself in the Finger Lakes) mention the high crime and drug dealing in your area?

https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/property/reports/exempt/10exrpt.htm

#1519539 --- 09/13/18 07:07 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Let's be frank Offline

Wegmans is FINE for meat, but Walmart often sells semi-rotten meat. Once I took it back because the uncooked chicken smelled like a dead rodent. The so-called "meat manager" refused to give me a refund (I returned it same day still frozen) claiming "that is how meat smells!"

May I remind you that although "great things" are happening at HWS and the Ag-Station - neither pay any property taxes.

Go check out Cherribundi sometime and ask for a job application!!

Which contractor got the bid for the condo development going up at the lakeside tunnel???

#1519540 --- 09/13/18 07:09 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Let's be frank Offline

MOREOVER - Tops didn't "over-expand" at least not in Geneva & Lyons - there was a Tops there for over a decade. Plus - Tops hired a great many mentally challenged individuals and where are they going to work now?

#1519541 --- 09/13/18 07:18 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Formermac]
Let's be frank Offline

He/She DOES indeed sound like a politician and I'll bet I can guess his/her name.....

#1519542 --- 09/13/18 07:25 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Let's be frank]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

If I recall, didn't Tops relocate to the T&C plaza and actually downsized but increased its prices? Geneva is actually a quaint small town but high property taxes and high drug dealings makes for a place where you question it's existence for raising children.

#1519543 --- 09/13/18 07:31 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Formermac]
Let's be frank Offline

Yep, drug-dealing seems to be a major occupation here - AND may I remind everyone that a lot of Geneva's population collects Welfare unlike Canandaigua's population - please, tell me WHY that is???

#1519546 --- 09/13/18 07:57 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Formermac]
FLaker Offline

Originally Posted By: Formermac
If I recall, didn't Tops relocate to the T&C plaza and actually downsized but increased its prices? Geneva is actually a quaint small town but high property taxes and high drug dealings makes for a place where you question it's existence for raising children.

Tops did in fact move from the Town of Geneva to the city, with a generous payment in lieu of tax plan offered by the city as an incentive. The tax savings didn't seem to help offset the higher prices Tops charged for many goods, however. I really liked having Tops as an option, and I look forward to its eventual replacement.

Politician, huh? I don't know why anyone would volunteer for that type of work in Geneva. It's thankless, and I'm grateful for the folks that are significantly more service oriented that I.

Geneva also has a wonderful assortment of programs available for children. Among others, the Boys and Girls Club and YMCA offer fantastic options for Geneva youth. Just head over to the B&G club sometime. You'll walk away impressed.

#1519547 --- 09/13/18 08:11 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

As you've stated multiple times, Geneva has its advantages but let's get down to the nitty gritty, my wife was a North street school teacher for 27 years before we relocated, I have 3 grands that were once in the geneva school district, I use to own 2 apartment buildings in the city of Geneva and I could go on by elaborating on personal experience but that's for another day. When you have a huge low income housing unit on the North-east end of town eliciting a constant call out for police assistance, don't embarrass yourself by negating to mention the fact that a great percentage of the city falls into some category of high crime.Now as previously stated, if you spend a greater share of your time enjoying the great music at the ramada while sitting on your big boat docked on Ramada's south side, you might have missed that drug deal going on.

As mentioned before I had the distinction of having graduated from South Seneca among it's student body, 7 future police officers employed by Seneca County Sheriff office, Ontario county sheriff, Geneva Police department, Waterloo police department and one Nephew,employed by a local police agency, unlike Trump, they all don't lie about crime in particular areas.

#1519548 --- 09/13/18 08:25 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

You have two very prestigious colleges located in Geneva, ask your local police force how many calls do they receive from local grocery stores and bars for students attempting to buy or consume alcohol. Bottom line, tourism has managed to keep the ills of Geneva under wrap to some degree.

#1519550 --- 09/13/18 08:29 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Ask your local officers how many emergency calls do they make to the Middle and High school and how many teachers are frustrated and ready to relocate or can't wait to retire.

#1519551 --- 09/13/18 08:45 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Let's be frank]
FLaker Offline

I very much appreciate the socioeconomic diversity of Geneva. It is inviting to people of varying social and economic backgrounds. Geneva is very much deserving of the All America city honor.

#1519552 --- 09/13/18 08:53 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: FLaker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

A few questions, are we talking about individuals working at Arby's or the city hall? Do they live on Sloccum lane or Court yard aptartments. It all depends on your personal spin and experiences, in my case, I can generate a nuance of fine dining at Belhurst castle to grabbing my curly fries and running due to fears from a few fellow standing outside.

#1519554 --- 09/13/18 09:17 PM Re: Poor Geneva... [Re: Let's be frank]
Let's be frank Offline

What a bunch of WHIMPS you (in City) are = Tops paid TAXES - HWS & Cornell do not....