FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1519473 --- 09/11/18 11:41 AM Seneca County Judge
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Seems to me that there would be a huge conflict of interest with a former Seneca County DA as Judge.

That, coupled with the fact that one candidate has more relevant experience than the other two, leads me to conclude that

DAVID ETTMAN should be our next Seneca County Judge.

FingerLakes1.com
#1519488 --- 09/11/18 09:44 PM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: Festus]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Question 1

How is it a conflict of interest to serve as a judge after being DA?

Question 2

What is "relevant" about Ettman's experience? Here is how it was described when he was hired as Assistant County Attorney:

"Ettman, 59, served in the Army’s Judge Advocate General service for nine years, including assignment at the former Seneca Army Depot from 1988 to 1992.

He was active in the military for eight years and was a member of the Army Reserve from 1988 through 2006.

He’s been in private law practice in Seneca Falls since 1992 while also serving as town attorney in Fayette and Junius, as assistant district attorney and as assistant public defender.

He was elected Varick town justice in 2015 and recently was appointed interim Fayette town justice to fill a vacancy.

His private practice focuses on criminal defense, bankruptcy, matrimonial and family court matters.

As assistant county attorney, his responsibilities involve Family Court prosecution of child protective cases, juvenile delinquency, Persons In Need of Supervision petitions and child support collection cases as well as other resource collection related duties."

Edited by all seeing eye (09/11/18 09:55 PM)

#1519489 --- 09/11/18 11:45 PM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Here are the descriptions of the County Court Judge duties and the Town Justice Courts.

COUNTY COURT

The County Court is established in each county outside New York City. It is authorized to handle the prosecution of all crimes committed within the County. The Court generally handles felony cases (in which a sentence of imprisonment in excess of one year may be imposed).

The County Court also has limited jurisdiction in civil cases involving amounts up to $25,000. In addition, the County Court acts as an intermediate appellate court, hearing appeals from the City Courts and the Town and Village Courts.

TOWN JUSTICE COURTS

Welcome to the web site for New York State’s Town and Village Courts (collectively known as the Justice Courts). Many New Yorkers will have their first and only court experience in one of the almost 1300 locally-funded Justice Courts located throughout New York State (except for New York City).

These courts have jurisdiction over a broad range of matters, including vehicle and traffic matters, small claims, evictions, civil matters and criminal offenses.

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/cts-outside-nyc-COUNTY.shtml

#1519556 --- 09/13/18 10:07 PM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: Festus]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
So it is going to be Ettman vs Porsch with Cathy as the spoiler.