FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1519473 --- 09/11/18 11:41 AM Seneca County Judge
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Seems to me that there would be a huge conflict of interest with a former Seneca County DA as Judge.

That, coupled with the fact that one candidate has more relevant experience than the other two, leads me to conclude that

DAVID ETTMAN should be our next Seneca County Judge.

FingerLakes1.com
#1519488 --- 09/11/18 09:44 PM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: Festus]
all seeing eye Online   content

Loc: Seneca Lake
Question 1

How is it a conflict of interest to serve as a judge after being DA?

Question 2

What is "relevant" about Ettman's experience? Here is how it was described when he was hired as Assistant County Attorney:

"Ettman, 59, served in the Army’s Judge Advocate General service for nine years, including assignment at the former Seneca Army Depot from 1988 to 1992.

He was active in the military for eight years and was a member of the Army Reserve from 1988 through 2006.

He’s been in private law practice in Seneca Falls since 1992 while also serving as town attorney in Fayette and Junius, as assistant district attorney and as assistant public defender.

He was elected Varick town justice in 2015 and recently was appointed interim Fayette town justice to fill a vacancy.

His private practice focuses on criminal defense, bankruptcy, matrimonial and family court matters.

As assistant county attorney, his responsibilities involve Family Court prosecution of child protective cases, juvenile delinquency, Persons In Need of Supervision petitions and child support collection cases as well as other resource collection related duties."

Edited by all seeing eye (09/11/18 09:55 PM)

#1519489 --- 09/11/18 11:45 PM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Online   content

Loc: Seneca Lake
Here are the descriptions of the County Court Judge duties and the Town Justice Courts.

COUNTY COURT

The County Court is established in each county outside New York City. It is authorized to handle the prosecution of all crimes committed within the County. The Court generally handles felony cases (in which a sentence of imprisonment in excess of one year may be imposed).

The County Court also has limited jurisdiction in civil cases involving amounts up to $25,000. In addition, the County Court acts as an intermediate appellate court, hearing appeals from the City Courts and the Town and Village Courts.

TOWN JUSTICE COURTS

Welcome to the web site for New York State’s Town and Village Courts (collectively known as the Justice Courts). Many New Yorkers will have their first and only court experience in one of the almost 1300 locally-funded Justice Courts located throughout New York State (except for New York City).

These courts have jurisdiction over a broad range of matters, including vehicle and traffic matters, small claims, evictions, civil matters and criminal offenses.

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/cts-outside-nyc-COUNTY.shtml

#1519556 --- 09/13/18 10:07 PM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: Festus]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
So it is going to be Ettman vs Porsch with Cathy as the spoiler.

#1520339 --- 10/31/18 06:27 AM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: Festus]
cwanky Offline

Loc: new york
Originally Posted By: Festus
Seems to me that there would be a huge conflict of interest with a former Seneca County DA as Judge.

That, coupled with the fact that one candidate has more relevant experience than the other two, leads me to conclude that

DAVID ETTMAN should be our next Seneca County Judge.

if conflict of interest were to eliminate someone from serving in office especially in Seneca County there would be no one who could place a name on a ballot.

#1520406 --- 11/02/18 05:15 AM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: all seeing eye]
David_Ettman Offline

Loc: Seneca County
The Seneca County Judge presides over Family Court, County Court, the trial part of Supreme Court and Surrogate’s Court. These are trial courts.

Below are the NY State Office of Court Administration descriptions of each of the Courts,with an approximate break-down of the Judge’s workload for each of the courts in Seneca County:

FAMILY COURT (60-70%) The Family Court hears matters involving children and families (The Family Court cannot grant a divorce; only Supreme Court can do that). Its jurisdiction includes: Adoption; Guardianship; Foster Care Approval and Review; Delinquency; Persons in Need of Supervision; Family Offense (domestic violence); Child Protective Proceedings (abuse and neglect); Termination of Parental Rights; Custody and Visitation; and Support.

COUNTY COURT (15-20%) The County Court is established in each county outside New York City. It is authorized to handle the prosecution of all crimes committed within the County. The Court generally handles felony cases (in which a sentence of imprisonment in excess of one year may be imposed). The County Court also has limited jurisdiction in civil cases involving amounts up to $25,000. In addition, the County Court acts as an intermediate appellate court, hearing appeals from the City Courts and the Town and Village Courts.

SUPREME COURT (15-20%) Supreme Court has unlimited, original jurisdiction, but generally hears cases that are outside of the jurisdiction of other courts. Its caseload includes the following: Civil matters beyond the monetary limits of the lower courts’ jurisdiction; Divorce, separation and annulment proceedings; Equity suits, such as mortgage foreclosures and injunctions.

SURROGATE'S COURT (5-10%) The Surrogate's Court hears cases involving the affairs of decedents, including the probate of wills and the administration of estates.

Note- percentage are based on average case filings and court time allocated. This can vary within the ranges over time.[font:Arial Black][/font]

Edited by David_Ettman (11/02/18 09:48 AM)

#1520446 --- 11/05/18 10:03 AM Re: Seneca County Judge [Re: Festus]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Judge Bender endorses David Ettman for D.A.

To the Editor:

I recently retired as Seneca County Judge. I stayed out of the current judicial race because I saw each candidate as having certain strengths. Recent mailings from candidates Barry Porsch and Donna Cathy have, however, caused me to speak out.

Mr. Porsch attacks David Ettman, the third candidate for the office. Ms. Cathy attacks both of her opponents.

From my inquiries and previous knowledge of the case, Mr. Porsch’s mailing misstates facts and is generally misleading regarding the Varick Town Justice Court Clerk’s embezzlement of funds during Mr. Ettman’s tenure as justice. It ignores the fact that the clerk kept false records. It ignores that Mr. Ettman could not have completed submitted reports without reviewing records and bank statements, and that an annual review was conducted by him and a member of the town board. It ignores a state audit, which, I am advised, made no findings of fault against Mr. Ettman. It ignores that the clerk also worked for the former judge. But for space constraints, I could go on. Suffice it to say, I find Mr. Porsch’s mailing a far from objective and fair analysis of what was in reality a very complex matter.

Ms. Cathy attacks Mr. Porsch with facts that are deceptive in their lack of explanation, or in Mr. Ettman’s case without regard to the full accuracy of the asserted quote. As an example, she criticizes Mr. Porsch for receiving a substantial raise. Mr. Porsch did not solicit the raise; NYS Law directed it. For another, she challenges his statement that he has not received campaign contributions but does not note monies he received were not connected with the judicial campaign. Here too, I could continue if space allowed.

The NYS rules for judicial conduct require both judges and candidates to act in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity of the judiciary. Do unbalanced or deceptive 11th-hour attacks honor that directive? Your choice of a candidate is no small matter. Mr. Ettman has focused on his much broader experience, which neither of his opponents have countered. Experience should matter in your choice. So too, especially in a judicial race, should the character of the person you choose.

DENNIS F. BENDER

Seneca Falls