Loc: NY

FingerLakes1.com
#1519117 --- 08/18/18 09:16 AM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Betty. Offline

Report: Sheppard Stepping Down As Seneca County Manager
Geneva, NY, United States / Finger Lakes Daily News
Lucas Day
August 18, 2018 06:00 am

Seneca County Manager John Sheppard is stepping down.

The Finger Lakes Times reports Sheppard confirmed with them late Friday afternoon his intentions to step down as manager September 4th. Sheppard has held the position since November 2015 and has three years remaining on his term.

Before coming to Seneca County, Sheppard was town of Seneca supervisor. A retired lieutenant colonel with the U.S. Air Force, Sheppard served as chairman of the Ontario County Board of Supervisors. Before getting into local government, Sheppard was vice-president of Sheppard Grain in Phelps.

#1519121 --- 08/18/18 01:19 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

If the Board appoints the next County Manager by years end that will be 5 in 7 years.

#1519122 --- 08/18/18 01:33 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Anyone else think we should just elect someone to this position, I mean a year term sounds about the length we should go for.

#1519123 --- 08/18/18 02:03 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: DR. D]
all seeing eye Online   content

Loc: Seneca Lake
I'd like to see an elected County Executive and a county legislature. This weighted voting means that people in the least populous towns really have little say in County government.

#1519124 --- 08/18/18 02:09 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

I think that would be a really good thing for Seneca County.

#1519125 --- 08/18/18 02:12 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: John Q Public
If the Board appoints the next County Manager by years end that will be 5 in 7 years.
do you really think they can find somebody dumb enough to want the job ?

#1519126 --- 08/18/18 02:13 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

Not surprising in the least. I think there is more to this.

#1519127 --- 08/18/18 02:16 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
I'd like to see an elected County Executive and a county legislature. This weighted voting means that people in the least populous towns really have little say in County government.
that would mean it would have to be a county resident. I can see that turning into a disaster.

#1519129 --- 08/18/18 02:30 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: scwoodchuck]
John Q Public Offline

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
that would mean it would have to be a county resident. I can see that turning into a disaster.

Have to be a County resident either way. Are you saying you haven't lived in Seneca County?

#1519130 --- 08/18/18 02:54 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

crazy

#1519140 --- 08/18/18 04:42 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: scwoodchuck]

How is it working with the "pretend" County residents? Not well either. At least they would have to establish residency before running. Not claim they are living with relatives.

#1519144 --- 08/18/18 06:11 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

What you implied is not true.

#1519145 --- 08/18/18 07:56 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF
You’re not going to find anyone qualified to run the County that lives here. What you will find in this county is a political buddy that needs a job that’s willing to play the games required to work under this disfunctional Board of Supervisors

Edited by MCK (08/18/18 07:58 PM)

#1519151 --- 08/19/18 10:34 AM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: MCK]

Rumor is that some of the supervisors are suggesting naming Sam Priem, the Director of Public Works, as the interim County Manager. That won't be very popular with some people.

" In other action, the closing of West River and Yellow Tavern Roads in the town of Fayette for state-sponsored bridge repair projects drew the ire of Lorenzetti and others.

Fayette Town Board member Linda Zwick said the two roads have now been closed for four weeks, with no work activity going on, causing time-consuming detours.

“We were told the work would be done by July 4, weather permitting,’’ Zwick said. “The weather has been good. The county manager said it would be done by the end of June.” Zwick said another date she was given was July 9.

But county Public Works Director Sam Priem said the contractor left the site to work on another project. He said he has pushed the contractor to finish to no avail. “The contract has a 180-day completion so it should be done before school starts,’’ Priem said, causing groans among some in the audience.

Rick Conley Jr., speaking for the Varick-Fayette Fire District, harshly criticized the delay, calling it a public safety issue. He said the detours are damaging town roads. “Get those roads open. Get after it. Get with it,’’ he said.

Lorenzetti said Priem should be able to reopen the roads if no work is planned. Priem said West River Road should be open Thursday, by he’s not sure about Yellow Tavern. “Do you have the authority to reopen them on a day-to-day basis?” Lorenzetti asked.

“Yes, but I probably won’t,’’ Priem replied.

Zwick said three large farm operators have expressed frustration with the closure of the two roads and the detours, telling Zwick they are costing them time and money. She criticized the lack of notice to town officials by Priem."

http://www.fltimes.com/news/seneca-super...6b720d7f87.html

Originally Posted By: MCK
You’re not going to find anyone qualified to run the County that lives here. What you will find in this county is a political buddy that needs a job that’s willing to play the games required to work under this disfunctional Board of Supervisors

Edited by all seeing eye (08/19/18 10:36 AM)

#1519153 --- 08/19/18 02:21 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
The County ran fine for two centuries without a County Manager, but has only had problems with one. Seneca County is not a big city county.

We should go back to when the Supervisors ran the County, like it used to be.

Come to think of it, before there was a County Manager there was no Emergency Manager, Finance Director, or Public Works Commissioner... seems to me we could reduce County taxes by what, half a million or so without these positions?

#1519188 --- 08/23/18 06:56 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

We all know why he resigned. So, why would they appoint one of his hand picked cronies.

#1519207 --- 08/25/18 03:46 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: Gdog]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Originally Posted By: Gdog
We all know why he resigned. So, why would they appoint one of his hand picked cronies.

We have a lot of theories on that. Don't know about the cronies thing. Maybe someone will enlighten us unwashed heathen as to what happened.

#1519222 --- 08/29/18 10:05 AM Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]

Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward

Published: 08/29/2018 @ 07:47 am | Updated: 08/29/2018 @ 07:49 am

https://fingerlakes1.com/2018/08/29/mitc...moving-forward/

Mitchell Rowe will be returning to Seneca County.

The man who served as planning director; and then county manager for a span of two years in 2012 until 2014 will return, according to Board of Supervisors Chairman Bob Shipley.

Shipley noted that with the exit of County Manager John Sheppard, experience and passion for Seneca County were crucial to the interim hiring of Rowe. His tenure will effectively begin September 5th.

“Last night the Board [of Supervisors] hired Mitch [Rowe] to succeed County Manager Sheppard,” he said following the decision. “We thank County Manager Sheppard for his dedication and look forward to continuing positive progress for Seneca County under Rowe’s leadership.”

According to some supervisors, the interim status could last as long as a year, or more. However, no definite terms were established at the meeting. Rowe will act as interim county manager until a deputy can be hired and trained for succession.

On Tuesday, Fayette Town Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti said she was optimistic about Rowe coming on-board as interim county manager. “I think this has the potential to be a positive for Seneca County,” she said of the hiring decision.

The County will be moving into budget talks, as they prepare for the new fiscal year; and adopt a budget in November.

Rowe will receive the same salary as outgoing County Manager John Sheppard.

#1519227 --- 08/29/18 08:59 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]

I have to admit, I am "speechless" that NONE of you have commented on any of this.

What do you think of appointing a "deputy county manager" and automatically advancing him/her at some point in the future?

Does anyone think that performance and experience should have a role in the selection of the next CM?

Shouldn't the public have more of a role? Maybe we should be looking for an elected county executive, who would answer to the people, not the BOS?

Edited by all seeing eye (08/29/18 09:00 PM)

#1519228 --- 08/29/18 10:25 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]
Steve Dallas Offline

What's the point? It's the Board's choice, and we pay them $180,000 a year, plus what their towns pay them, to do just this - appoint people they despise to a position that they hate.

As I said before, this system has YET TO WORK OUT FOR ANYONE EXCEPT THE FEEDERS AT THE TROUGH.

Get rid of the position, get rid of the "fake" heads of departments that don't need them (Finance, Emergency Mgmt, Planning, Public Works - I'm sure that there are others) and let the overpaid ELECTED Committee Chairs do their jobs that we pay them for, and earn their keep.

#1519251 --- 08/31/18 12:27 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]
Top Dog Online   content

Loc: Lap Dog
I have to admit, I am "speechless" that NONE of you have commented on any of this.

What do you think of appointing a "deputy county manager" and automatically advancing him/her at some point in the future?

Does anyone think that performance and experience should have a role in the selection of the next CM?

Shouldn't the public have more of a role? Maybe we should be looking for an elected county executive, who would answer to the people, not the BOS?

Automatic implies that the person couldn't get fired. This appears more like the choice will have the performance and experience to gain the position. Mitch acts in an onboarding fashion.

Public has a role by electing a BOS. If they can't do this right, vote them out. They certainly haven't proven to be able to select or attract a good candidate. As far as the public, hours of speeches at the podium is not process. It is venting.

In the meantime, the county employees can relax. Mitch will do nothing to stop the sleeping around. Feel free.

#1519254 --- 08/31/18 03:35 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: Top Dog]
John Q Public Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog

Automatic implies that the person couldn't get fired. This appears more like the choice will have the performance and experience to gain the position. Mitch acts in an onboarding fashion.

Public has a role by electing a BOS. If they can't do this right, vote them out. They certainly haven't proven to be able to select or attract a good candidate. As far as the public, hours of speeches at the podium is not process. It is venting.

In the meantime, the county employees can relax. Mitch will do nothing to stop the sleeping around. Feel free.

You make it sound like he will be running a Broethel.

#1519284 --- 09/01/18 09:32 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: John Q Public]
Top Dog Online   content

Loc: Lap Dog
An insult to brothels everywhere...

#1519495 --- 09/12/18 03:17 PM Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]

Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director
By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.

WATERLOO — The Seneca County Board of Supervisors voted 10-4 Tuesday to request an outside investigation into alleged improprieties involving former County Manager John Sheppard and former Finance Director Brandi Deeds.

The motion was proposed by Fayette Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti, with a second coming from Romulus Supervisor David Kaiser. The matter will be discussed further at the board's Sept. 25 committee meetings.

Sheppard and Deeds both resigned this summer.

Pick up a copy of Thursday's Finger Lakes Times to read more about this story.

#1519496 --- 09/12/18 03:37 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Steve Dallas Offline

Oh goodie! More expensive activities to keep our taxes through the roof.

Why can’t the new County Manager, Sheriff, and DA handle this?

#1519498 --- 09/12/18 04:31 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Steve Dallas]

I think the Sheriff, as a separately elected official, could conduct an independent investigation. Let's hope that is the way the BOS goes to contain some of the costs of this dark episode.

But, the BOS sat back and ignored all the warning signs of problems with management and finances. Fixing the financials alone, between Bonadio, Nick Sciotti and hundreds of hours of overtime from the Finance Office staff, this mess is going to cost the county over a $100,000 to fix. The auditor announced that the Annual Update Document for 2017, was done so badly, that it will have to be redone and resubmitted.

Bonadio has placed 2 or three employees in the finance office about 80% time, and they have only corrected the general fund errors through July 2017. They have another year of records to go. They haven't gotten to Highway or Water and Sewer.

How anyone can do the county budget with no idea of actual income and expenses is a mystery.

The public needs answers about how this happened, whether anyone aided and abetted it, and what steps are needed to keep it from happening again.

I'd rather pay for controls going forward than fixing past errors.

And if there is malfeasance, then it should be dealt with.

Originally Posted By: Steve Dallas
Oh goodie! More expensive activities to keep our taxes through the roof.

Why can’t the new County Manager, Sheriff, and DA handle this?

Edited by all seeing eye (09/12/18 04:45 PM)

#1519544 --- 09/13/18 07:35 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
lovinglife Offline

Why are people so quiet??? Didn't like the FACT that something wasn't right and the WRONG person's name was plastered all over the news???? Let us see what the investigators find out...might be really interesting and afterwards...I hope a public apology in the same paper that was willing to listen to the EX County Manager will appear.

#1519555 --- 09/13/18 09:54 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]

Seneca supervisors vote to investigate former manager, finance director

By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com 7 hrs ago 0

WATERLOO — With details to be worked out, the Seneca County Board of Supervisors voted 10-4 Tuesday to launch an investigation into the actions of former county manager John Sheppard and former Finance Director Brandi Deeds regarding county finances.

The motion for the probe was not on the board agenda but came up at the end of the meeting.

It states that the auditing firm of The Bonadio Group did an audit and notified the board of the current condition of the county’s financial conditions “which has resulted in having to extend auditing services beyond the terms of the contract.”

The resolved section of the motion states that the board “does hereby authorize an outside and independent investigation, due to the facts brought forth by the Bonadio audit.”

It also states the probe should look at “the mismanagement and mis-leadership that has led Seneca County down a path that may well cost over $100,000 in expenses for the extended audit.”

It notes the need to hire former county treasurer Nick Sciotti at more than $43 an hour to be a financial consultant and the cost of overtime required by the finance department staff in assisting in the audit “to make sure there is no wrongdoing that took place by the leadership at that time.”

Fayette Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti made the motion and David Kaiser of Romulus offered a second.

Voting for the motion were Lorenzetti, Kaiser, Bob Hayssen of Varick; Greg Lazzaro, Paul Kronenwetter and Ralph Lott of Seneca Falls; Ernest Brownell of Junius; Lisa Hochadel of Waterloo; Michael Reynolds of Covert; and Lee Davidson of Lodi.

Opposed were board chairman Bob Shipley and Don Trout of Waterloo, Ron McGreevy of Tyre and Walt Prouty of Ovid.

Lorenzetti said she did not want the board to discuss the matter in executive session or to refer it to a committee. She said that’s why she brought it to the floor with a motion to waive the rules to allow it to come to the floor for open discussion.

“Those opposed to this tried to get it referred to committee, but I was hoping for the Rule 29 vote, which needs a two-thirds vote. When I got that support, I brought it to the floor for a vote,” she said.

“I tried to get answers by going through the proper channels, including filing of FOILs. The chairman of the board did not keep me in the loop as minority leader. He did not support my efforts and the county attorney said I was on a fishing expedition,” she said. “I brought up the need to get answers weeks ago and was put off. I felt I had no recourse. This goes beyond finances, which the audit is dealing with. I want to see if the actions of the leadership of the finance department and county manager’s office involved wrongdoing that contributed to the situation.”

Sheppard resigned, effective Sept. 4. Deeds resigned, effective Aug. 1. Mitch Rowe has been hired as interim county manager. The board appointed Halle Stevens as finance director Tuesday night.

Lorenzetti said she’s open to discussion of options on how to and who could conduct the investigation. She said she’s asked Rowe for suggestions and the matter may be discussed at the Sept. 25 committee meetings if not resolved before then.

She said the Sheriff’s Department has offered to conduct the investigation as one option.

In an email, Kaiser said he seconded the motion calling for the independent investigation for several reasons.

“I understand that the estimate for the costs associated with straightening out the county finances could be up to an excess of $100,000 and that doesn’t include the cost of the secondary damage done to the county due to the disarray of that department,” Kaiser said. “Various grants were put in jeopardy and projects were pursued and funded without any true knowledge of where the funds would be coming from.”

Kaiser said that over the last year and a half, he and others questioned several county capital projects and could not obtain clear financial information regarding their funding or even necessity.

“The Board of Supervisors owes it to the taxpayers and the many county staff who felt stifled from bringing these problems forward and understanding as to how this all came about,” he concluded.

Shipley, in an email, said the motion was “hastily made to create an additional, independent investigation into our county’s previous leadership. While I join my colleagues in demanding the highest level of accountability to all Seneca County residents and businesses, I believe this motion was ill-conceived.’’

He said the motion was made under Rule 29 and not referred to a committee. He said this procedural move is reserved for unavoidable, urgent legislative priorities.

“In this case, the matter should have been brought forward two weeks ago when meaningful dialogue and input could have been incorporated to further define and address the scope of an otherwise ambiguous resolution,” Shipley said.

He also said an independent audit has been underway for several weeks, an annual audit of county finances.

“Given the transition of several key leaders, this year’s audit was expanded to accommodate additional areas. To date, the audit team has evaluated a considerable amount of information and had corrected errors mainly related to account reconciliation,” he said. “At this time, we have been given no indication of any improprieties by former employees to warrant the level of suspicion that appears rampant from some individuals.”

Shipley said the board has moved in a bipartisan way to hire Rowe and Stevens, who he said have the full support of the entire board.

“Their appointments demonstrate the positive outcomes that come from working toward solutions rather than divisive and selfish actions that are so often motivated by personal vendettas or political agendas,” he concluded.

The board voted 11-3 to allow it to come to the floor without first going through committee.

http://www.fltimes.com/news/seneca-super...7be77e5898.html

#1519600 --- 09/15/18 02:51 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: lovinglife]
BShatley1952 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
Exactly! If ALL of the details get out to the public, this will be the biggest scandal to rock the county! It's not just about what Sheppard and Deeds did, it's also about WHO knew about it and did nothing.

#1519638 --- 09/18/18 02:46 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: BShatley1952]
scwoodchuck Offline

I find it rather amusing that everyone is talking but nobody is giving any details. Keep in mind that the Finger Lakes Times tends to lean towards the Democrats.
You all seem to overlook this statement,
" To date, the audit team has evaluated a considerable amount of information and had corrected errors mainly related to account reconciliation,” he said. “At this time, we have been given no indication of any improprieties by former employees to warrant the level of suspicion that appears rampant from some individuals.”

Edited by scwoodchuck (09/18/18 02:52 PM)

#1519643 --- 09/18/18 08:43 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Keep in mind that the Finger Lakes Times tends to lean towards the Democrats.

Got any actual evidence to back up such a ridiculous statement, or are you simply blowing things out of your patootie as usual?

#1519644 --- 09/19/18 12:48 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

Chuck, welcome back. I was worried about you!

That quote was NOT from the auditors, it was from a chair of the BOS.

Not sure how we are defining "improprieties." I would say that failing to reconcile the books for 18 plus months; submitting an incorrect report to the State Comptroller, that will need to be redone; failing to invoice almost $100,000 for the airport; and no one noticing, and are, if not improper, are at least negligent.

This is going to cost a lot on money to fix and impropriety needs to be ruled out.

I find it rather amusing that everyone is talking but nobody is giving any details. Keep in mind that the Finger Lakes Times tends to lean towards the Democrats.
You all seem to overlook this statement,
" To date, the audit team has evaluated a considerable amount of information and had corrected errors mainly related to account reconciliation,” he said. “At this time, we have been given no indication of any improprieties by former employees to warrant the level of suspicion that appears rampant from some individuals.”

#1519675 --- 09/19/18 05:46 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

Why is everyone avoiding the pink elephant in the room. We all know what the investigation is for.

#1519691 --- 09/20/18 11:09 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Gdog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Why is everyone avoiding the pink elephant in the room. We all know what the investigation is for.
Actually we don't know what the investigation is for an we probably never will. Don't you think it's odd that only one side was interviewed and quoted in the article ?

#1519698 --- 09/20/18 03:24 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

Chuck, I read quotes from Cindy, Lorenzetti, Dave Kaiser and Bob Shipley. Looks pretty well balanced to me.

Actually we don't know what the investigation is for an we probably never will. Don't you think it's odd that only one side was interviewed and quoted in the article ?

#1519716 --- 09/21/18 07:15 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Shipley's statement was typical political gobel d gook. But the 3 others who voted differently on bring the issue to the floor should have been given an opportunity to share their reasons. But maybe they were asked why they voted the way they did and wisely declined.

#1519717 --- 09/21/18 07:19 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Chuck, I read quotes from Cindy, Lorenzetti, Dave Kaiser and Bob Shipley. Looks pretty well balanced to me.
do I need to remind you of what I think of your reading ability ?

#1519718 --- 09/21/18 10:15 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

Perhaps they were the only people who responded. How do you know that the whole board was not asked? Are you on the Board of Supervisors?

quote=scwoodchuck]Shipley's statement was typical political gobel d gook. But the 3 others who voted differently on bring the issue to the floor should have been given an opportunity to share their reasons. But maybe they were asked why they voted the way they did and wisely declined. [/quote]

Edited by all seeing eye (09/21/18 10:15 PM)

#1519728 --- 09/23/18 10:38 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

So if they find some official misconduct, Since he is resigned now. What is the end game? To cost the taxpayers more in a trail?

#1519729 --- 09/23/18 04:13 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Would you please learn how to read !!!!!

#1519730 --- 09/23/18 04:21 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Gdog]
scwoodchuck Offline

So if they find some official misconduct, Since he is resigned now. What is the end game? To cost the taxpayers more in a trail?
I don't think there was any misconduct but what good would come from a trial, you going to fire him ? You don't seem to understand this whole thing is nothing but politics.

#1519731 --- 09/23/18 04:50 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
BShatley1952 Offline

Politics huh? Politics are the only reason this fiasco was allowed to continue for so long. Politics are why the county is out over $100k. Luckily, a large majority of the Republicans (8 out of 12) finally voted to do the right thing (setting politics to the side) by deciding to investigate those two for the county and its taxpayers.

As far as end game goes, I would hope that if any misconduct is found, criminal charges will be filed. That would be the standard protocol. I have to laugh that some of you are concerned about this costing taxpayer dollars. What the heck do you think those two cost the taxpayers already? It could be half a million dollars or more if the county gets sued by those that were wronged by these two and their shenanigans. How much more will it cost for law enforcement and prosecutors to do the job they're already paid to do? The county has attorney's on retainer and insurance for things such as this. If there will be a cost, it is minimal compared to costs related to the negligence of the former Finance Director. Why would anyone try to block this investigation? Why would anyone want to allow government misconduct? Makes you wonder if they also have something to hide.

#1519732 --- 09/23/18 07:07 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: BShatley1952]
scwoodchuck Offline

When the dust settles you may find that you have it backwards.

#1519746 --- 09/24/18 07:19 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

HUH, what are you talking about?

When the dust settles you may find that you have it backwards.

#1519747 --- 09/24/18 08:00 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

There will be special prosecutor for something like this. And yes it will be an embarrassment to the county government. If officials were aware and turned a blind eye to this. They should be charged too.

#1519748 --- 09/24/18 08:05 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
NoConflictPlease Offline

Loc: Seneca County
It's amazing how those who know so little about the truth attest to knowing so much.

#1519750 --- 09/24/18 08:14 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: NoConflictPlease]

Wait, what did I do?????

Originally Posted By: NoConflictPlease
If there was ever a blind eye, it is "All Seeing Eye"

#1519779 --- 09/25/18 09:30 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]

Supervisors likely will form special committee to decide process of investigation into Sheppard, Deeds

Published: 09/25/2018 @ 09:42 pm

Link to FL1 Article

In all likelihood, the Seneca County Board of Supervisors will be forming a special committee to investigate the actions of two former officials who resigned over the summer.

Former Finance Director Brandi Deeds and Former County Manager John Sheppard are at the center of an investigation, which is beginning to take shape.

On Tuesday, the supervisors took another step toward an official investigation. The Ways & Means Committee voted unanimously to create a special committee – aimed at deciding between four options, on how best to proceed into the investigative process.

The goal: To determine whether there was malfeasance on the parts of either Deeds or Sheppard in their roles.

The investigation will go back to the hiring of Deeds, who started with Seneca County in 2016 prior to the forming of a Finance Department. While many supervisors raised concerns about the finance department throughout its development – then-County Manager Sheppard assured the board-at-large that things were moving in the right direction.

That proved to not be the case.

Seneca County is in the midst of an audit being performed by the Bonadio Group. The firm is tasked with performing regular audits of financials for Seneca County, but in this case, was tasked with ‘righting the ship’ after the County’s finances were mishandled for two years.

“The auditors have made it clear that there wasn’t any money stolen, but as for the accounting – a lot of items were placed in the wrong columns,” explained Covert Town Supervisor Michael Reynolds. He chairs the Ways & Means Committee, and agreed that it was time to make things right – whatever the cost.

That audit has already cost the County’s taxpayers $68,000 over initial costs paid up-front. According to the supervisors, who debated the topic and crunched numbers in real-time as the gravity of the situation set in – it will cost upwards of $140,000 to complete the current audit.

And that doesn’t include additional costs for making right the 2018 books, and setting up the appropriate policies and procedures to avoid this situation in the future.

“The finance department staff is concerned about having the right tools to move ahead,” added Fayette Town Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti. “It’s going to cost the County, but we can’t cut corners here.”

Lodi Town Supervisor Lee Davidson reaffirmed that point, and added that putting additional stress on existing finance department staff was a concern. “The department was led by the wrong person, but I’m worried about those folks who have to dig us out of this situation,” he added.

The audit will remain a separate entity from the investigation into Deeds and Sheppard.

As discussion about options for the investigation unfolded, Seneca Falls Town Supervisor Greg Lazzaro made the suggestion that a special committee be formed. He suggested that Davidson and Lorenzetti be members of that committee – since they serve as majority and minority leaders on the board. He also suggested that Waterloo Supervisor Lisa Hochadel and Board Chairman Bob Shipley round out the committee roster. “Given her background in accounting – I think Supervisor Hochadel would be a good fit for what needs to be looked at and observed here,” he added after making the recommendations.

While Ways & Means was quick to approve the creation of a special committee – Chairman Shipley ultimately can fill the roster how he sees fit. Under the Board’s rules of order – the Board of Supervisors have authority to create a special committee via full-board vote and resolution. However, those rosters are solely defined by whoever is serving as board chair.

Supervisor Lorenzetti looked to County Manager Mitch Rowe, who began serving as interim manager in early-September for guidance.

Rowe made a series of recommendations on how to proceed with the investigation. However, those options will be weighed by the committee, which will allow the board to begin moving forward.

The options for handling the investigation are as follows:

– Hire Bonadio’s forensic group, who handles these types of investigations;
– Allow Seneca County Sheriff Tim Luce to handle the investigation with his department;
– Form an Office of Public Integrity to handle the investigation; or
– Seek outside legal counsel to lead the investigation.

The supervisors will meet in Ovid at the Papa Bear building, located within the Three Bears Complex in October for a special session. At that meeting, the supervisors will vote on the special committee; and likely receive another update from Bonadio on the progress of their audit.

#1519780 --- 09/25/18 09:48 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

Spending $$$$ like its tap.

#1519802 --- 09/28/18 07:41 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

To my knowledge "righting of the ship" was what Sheppard was trying to do and that the county never had the right " tools" in the first place. The outcome will be the same and you can bet the board is not going to like it, but that will never come to light.

#1519826 --- 09/29/18 10:30 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

Seems to me, as soon as Bonadio discovered that the "ship" was sinking, Captain Sheppherd abandoned the ship.

To my knowledge "righting of the ship" was what Sheppard was trying to do and that the county never had the right " tools" in the first place. The outcome will be the same and you can bet the board is not going to like it, but that will never come to light.

#1519841 --- 09/30/18 04:12 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

I'm kinda shocked his buddy Priem is staying.

#1519981 --- 10/11/18 05:36 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Seems to me, as soon as Bonadio discovered that the "ship" was sinking, Captain Sheppherd abandoned the ship.

A question I have wanted to ask for a long time is, If Sheppherd did mess things up, the process of going back and doing what was done before Shepphard would seem very easy. Why is it that Bonadio has to train county employees how to do things correctly ? The story seems a little bias in my opinion and it sounds like the county never did things right in the first place !

#1519991 --- 10/11/18 10:36 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Hello_Governer]

I understand that most, if not all, of the employees in the "Finance Department" were new and had little or no municipal accounting experience....like the Director. They did what they were told. Now they need to learn the right way.

#1520057 --- 10/14/18 05:49 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

I understand that most, if not all, of the employees in the "Finance Department" were new and had little or no municipal accounting experience....like the Director. They did what they were told. Now they need to learn the right way.
it's my understanding that nobody knew how to use the software that the state requires to be used. EVER !

#1520059 --- 10/14/18 10:45 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
BShatley1952 Offline

Woodchuck, you mean to tell me that the County can pay Brandi Deeds $85k and John Sheppard $100k+ to do a job and we're not going to hold them accountable to do that job simply because they don't know how to use NYS's financial system?! Here's an idea, ask for help! Every other county in NYS has to use the same system!

Department Heads voiced their concerns to John Sheppard, but he shut them down quickly. Why would he allow Deeds to ignore her job duties for so long? Why wouldn't he listen to Department Heads when they told him the Finance Dept. was a mess?

Unfortunately there is so much more to this than not knowing and not asking for help. It turns out the two of them were dating over the past year. And because of this, Sheppard made sure he got rid of anyone that voiced their concerns about his girlfriend too loudly (EMS Director Melissa Taylor, Fiscal Manager Wendy Coleman).

And Deeds couldn't get her work done because she was rarely at work. Her boyfriend gave her loads of time off. She was out of the office for months and had thousands of unopened emails (including ones telling her that she had missed important deadlines). She neglected her job duties while making $85k from the citizens of Seneca County and Sheppard allowed it. Funny thing is, you only get 2 weeks of vacation time when you've been at the County for the length of time Deeds was there. I wonder how she was able to take so much time off without falsifying her timesheet?! I guess there's another thing for the investigators to look at. As a taxpayer I'm not pleased with allowing someone to take months of vacation time that they don't have (especially making what she was making and the fact that she didn't do her job). And since we're on this topic, Sheppard's Confidential Secretary was also gone all the time. It's difficult to take 2 weeks off to go to Disney World when you only have 4 days of vacation time. And Sheppard signed that timesheet - another charge of falsifying a timesheet). His office was full of corruption! Good riddance! I welcome Mitch Rowe to the county. Hopefully we can keep him for a few years to straighten out the mess Sheppard left us.

#1520060 --- 10/14/18 11:28 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

Seems to me, if the software is required to be used, that a good first step would be to learn how to use it. If the county hired people with Municipal financial experience, they would have arrived with the knowledge.

Sounds like another BS excuse.

it's my understanding that nobody knew how to use the software that the state requires to be used. EVER !

#1520069 --- 10/14/18 08:33 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: BShatley1952]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: BShatley1952
Woodchuck, you mean to tell me that the County can pay Brandi Deeds $85k and John Sheppard $100k+ to do a job and we're not going to hold them accountable to do that job simply because they don't know how to use NYS's financial system?! Here's an idea, ask for help! Every other county in NYS has to use the same system!

Department Heads voiced their concerns to John Sheppard, but he shut them down quickly. Why would he allow Deeds to ignore her job duties for so long? Why wouldn't he listen to Department Heads when they told him the Finance Dept. was a mess?

Unfortunately there is so much more to this than not knowing and not asking for help. It turns out the two of them were dating over the past year. And because of this, Sheppard made sure he got rid of anyone that voiced their concerns about his girlfriend too loudly (EMS Director Melissa Taylor, Fiscal Manager Wendy Coleman).

And Deeds couldn't get her work done because she was rarely at work. Her boyfriend gave her loads of time off. She was out of the office for months and had thousands of unopened emails (including ones telling her that she had missed important deadlines). She neglected her job duties while making $85k from the citizens of Seneca County and Sheppard allowed it. Funny thing is, you only get 2 weeks of vacation time when you've been at the County for the length of time Deeds was there. I wonder how she was able to take so much time off without falsifying her timesheet?! I guess there's another thing for the investigators to look at. As a taxpayer I'm not pleased with allowing someone to take months of vacation time that they don't have (especially making what she was making and the fact that she didn't do her job). And since we're on this topic, Sheppard's Confidential Secretary was also gone all the time. It's difficult to take 2 weeks off to go to Disney World when you only have 4 days of vacation time. And Sheppard signed that timesheet - another charge of falsifying a timesheet). His office was full of corruption! Good riddance! I welcome Mitch Rowe to the county. Hopefully we can keep him for a few years to straighten out the mess Sheppard left us.

REMOTE ACCESSS, ever heard of it ? Please tell me why anyone with experience would come to work for Seneca County when people come here to get experience then they leave. crazy

Edited by scwoodchuck (10/14/18 08:34 PM)

#1520070 --- 10/14/18 08:42 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Seems to me, if the software is required to be used, that a good first step would be to learn how to use it. If the county hired people with Municipal financial experience, they would have arrived with the knowledge.

Sounds like another BS excuse.

So you admit that the "Finance Department didn't know how to use the state's system and wasn't doing things right before Sheppard. OR did they just forget.

But that's a great idea, FIRE EVERYONE who can't operate the system and then hire people who can.

#1520071 --- 10/14/18 08:42 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]

Chuck, you do know that with remote access is really easy to see what people are doing. All those pages opened, reports prepared and reviewed, emails opened, sent, etc. Just signing in to the county computer doesn't mean any work was done.

I wonder what the review of all the work done "remotely" will show?

If the FD was actually working "remotely," why did the CM and his confidential secretary prepare the Annual Update Document (AUD) that was three months late and has to be redone by Bonadio because of all the errors.

All this is easy to verify and should be very interesting.

And I really wonder what "experience" they got at Seneca County.

[/quote]REMOTE ACCESSS, ever heard of it ? Please tell me why anyone with experience would come to work for Seneca County when people come here to get experience then they leave. crazy [/quote]

Edited by all seeing eye (10/14/18 08:49 PM)

#1520073 --- 10/14/18 09:17 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
BShatley1952 Offline

Chuck: I'm starting to think you are John Sheppard or one of his family members. You have to be completely nuts to continue to support this corruption. "Ever heard of remote access?" Remote access means nothing if you're not doing any work. Did she log in and do nothing all day for two years? Her reports were MONTHS late and the ones that were done were done incorrectly. TWO years worth of finances are a mess. That cost us $170k + benefits (only counting Deeds salary). You might not care about that Chuck, but I do and I would think most taxpayers in Seneca County care that two of the highest paid county employees were too busy with the hanky panky that they didn't have time (or the competence) to get their jobs done. I don't have an extra $170k laying around to throw away. Do you?

#1520080 --- 10/15/18 04:10 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Gdog]
scwoodchuck Offline

There will be special prosecutor for something like this. And yes it will be an embarrassment to the county government. If officials were aware and turned a blind eye to this. They should be charged too.
OMG nobody could cause as much embarrassment to the county government as the county government itself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1520081 --- 10/15/18 04:15 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: BShatley1952]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: BShatley1952
Chuck: I'm starting to think you are John Sheppard or one of his family members. You have to be completely nuts to continue to support this corruption. "Ever heard of remote access?" Remote access means nothing if you're not doing any work. Did she log in and do nothing all day for two years? Her reports were MONTHS late and the ones that were done were done incorrectly. TWO years worth of finances are a mess. That cost us $170k + benefits (only counting Deeds salary). You might not care about that Chuck, but I do and I would think most taxpayers in Seneca County care that two of the highest paid county employees were too busy with the hanky panky that they didn't have time (or the competence) to get their jobs done. I don't have an extra $170k laying around to throw away. Do you?

GEE, it wasn't that long ago that the county manager had the full support of most of the department heads. Could it be you are one of the people that has to pay for your own gas now that Sheppard took your county gas card away ?

#1520082 --- 10/15/18 05:16 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Any particular reason that you won't answer the question, but instead resort to slinging completely unrelated personal attacks?

No? Didn't think so.

#1520090 --- 10/15/18 08:04 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Timbo]
scwoodchuck Offline

UNRELATED ? PERSONAL ATTACKS ? in case you didn't notice this thread is a PERSONAL ATTACK.

#1520097 --- 10/15/18 05:58 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

UNRELATED ? PERSONAL ATTACKS ? in case you didn't notice this thread is a PERSONAL ATTACK.

Again... why won't you answer the question?

#1520100 --- 10/15/18 08:43 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
John Q Public Offline

Go back to the top of the thread. You were the first one to go negative.

#1520112 --- 10/17/18 07:12 AM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

But if you read ALL of the threads on this subject you will find that I wasn't the first to get negative ! No, I am NOT related to anyone in county government nor am I associated with anyone. I can guarantee that I am probably the only poster who isn't !

#1520126 --- 10/17/18 06:52 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: scwoodchuck]
John Q Public Offline

But if you read ALL of the threads on this subject you will find that I wasn't the first to get negative ! No, I am NOT related to anyone in county government nor am I associated with anyone. I can guarantee that I am probably the only poster who isn't !

It is difficult to believe you.

#1520219 --- 10/25/18 09:48 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

The woodchuck has been very quiet.

Maybe he or she will apply for the job opening.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >