FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1519228 --- 08/29/18 10:25 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
What's the point? It's the Board's choice, and we pay them $180,000 a year, plus what their towns pay them, to do just this - appoint people they despise to a position that they hate.

As I said before, this system has YET TO WORK OUT FOR ANYONE EXCEPT THE FEEDERS AT THE TROUGH.

Get rid of the position, get rid of the "fake" heads of departments that don't need them (Finance, Emergency Mgmt, Planning, Public Works - I'm sure that there are others) and let the overpaid ELECTED Committee Chairs do their jobs that we pay them for, and earn their keep.

FingerLakes1.com
#1519251 --- 08/31/18 12:27 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
I have to admit, I am "speechless" that NONE of you have commented on any of this.

What do you think of appointing a "deputy county manager" and automatically advancing him/her at some point in the future?

Does anyone think that performance and experience should have a role in the selection of the next CM?

Shouldn't the public have more of a role? Maybe we should be looking for an elected county executive, who would answer to the people, not the BOS?

Automatic implies that the person couldn't get fired. This appears more like the choice will have the performance and experience to gain the position. Mitch acts in an onboarding fashion.

Public has a role by electing a BOS. If they can't do this right, vote them out. They certainly haven't proven to be able to select or attract a good candidate. As far as the public, hours of speeches at the podium is not process. It is venting.

In the meantime, the county employees can relax. Mitch will do nothing to stop the sleeping around. Feel free.

#1519254 --- 08/31/18 03:35 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: Top Dog]
John Q Public Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
I have to admit, I am "speechless" that NONE of you have commented on any of this.

What do you think of appointing a "deputy county manager" and automatically advancing him/her at some point in the future?

Does anyone think that performance and experience should have a role in the selection of the next CM?

Shouldn't the public have more of a role? Maybe we should be looking for an elected county executive, who would answer to the people, not the BOS?

Automatic implies that the person couldn't get fired. This appears more like the choice will have the performance and experience to gain the position. Mitch acts in an onboarding fashion.

Public has a role by electing a BOS. If they can't do this right, vote them out. They certainly haven't proven to be able to select or attract a good candidate. As far as the public, hours of speeches at the podium is not process. It is venting.

In the meantime, the county employees can relax. Mitch will do nothing to stop the sleeping around. Feel free.

You make it sound like he will be running a Broethel.

#1519284 --- 09/01/18 09:32 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: John Q Public]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
An insult to brothels everywhere...

#1519495 --- 09/12/18 03:17 PM Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director
By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.

WATERLOO — The Seneca County Board of Supervisors voted 10-4 Tuesday to request an outside investigation into alleged improprieties involving former County Manager John Sheppard and former Finance Director Brandi Deeds.

The motion was proposed by Fayette Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti, with a second coming from Romulus Supervisor David Kaiser. The matter will be discussed further at the board's Sept. 25 committee meetings.

Sheppard and Deeds both resigned this summer.

Pick up a copy of Thursday's Finger Lakes Times to read more about this story.

#1519496 --- 09/12/18 03:37 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
Oh goodie! More expensive activities to keep our taxes through the roof.

Why can’t the new County Manager, Sheriff, and DA handle this?

#1519498 --- 09/12/18 04:31 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: Steve Dallas]
all seeing eye Offline

I think the Sheriff, as a separately elected official, could conduct an independent investigation. Let's hope that is the way the BOS goes to contain some of the costs of this dark episode.

But, the BOS sat back and ignored all the warning signs of problems with management and finances. Fixing the financials alone, between Bonadio, Nick Sciotti and hundreds of hours of overtime from the Finance Office staff, this mess is going to cost the county over a $100,000 to fix. The auditor announced that the Annual Update Document for 2017, was done so badly, that it will have to be redone and resubmitted.

Bonadio has placed 2 or three employees in the finance office about 80% time, and they have only corrected the general fund errors through July 2017. They have another year of records to go. They haven't gotten to Highway or Water and Sewer.

How anyone can do the county budget with no idea of actual income and expenses is a mystery.

The public needs answers about how this happened, whether anyone aided and abetted it, and what steps are needed to keep it from happening again.

I'd rather pay for controls going forward than fixing past errors.

And if there is malfeasance, then it should be dealt with.

Originally Posted By: Steve Dallas
Oh goodie! More expensive activities to keep our taxes through the roof.

Why can’t the new County Manager, Sheriff, and DA handle this?

Edited by all seeing eye (09/12/18 04:45 PM)

#1519544 --- 09/13/18 07:35 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: John Q Public]
lovinglife Offline

Why are people so quiet??? Didn't like the FACT that something wasn't right and the WRONG person's name was plastered all over the news???? Let us see what the investigators find out...might be really interesting and afterwards...I hope a public apology in the same paper that was willing to listen to the EX County Manager will appear.

#1519555 --- 09/13/18 09:54 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

Seneca supervisors vote to investigate former manager, finance director

By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com 7 hrs ago 0

WATERLOO — With details to be worked out, the Seneca County Board of Supervisors voted 10-4 Tuesday to launch an investigation into the actions of former county manager John Sheppard and former Finance Director Brandi Deeds regarding county finances.

The motion for the probe was not on the board agenda but came up at the end of the meeting.

It states that the auditing firm of The Bonadio Group did an audit and notified the board of the current condition of the county’s financial conditions “which has resulted in having to extend auditing services beyond the terms of the contract.”

The resolved section of the motion states that the board “does hereby authorize an outside and independent investigation, due to the facts brought forth by the Bonadio audit.”

It also states the probe should look at “the mismanagement and mis-leadership that has led Seneca County down a path that may well cost over $100,000 in expenses for the extended audit.”

It notes the need to hire former county treasurer Nick Sciotti at more than $43 an hour to be a financial consultant and the cost of overtime required by the finance department staff in assisting in the audit “to make sure there is no wrongdoing that took place by the leadership at that time.”

Fayette Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti made the motion and David Kaiser of Romulus offered a second.

Voting for the motion were Lorenzetti, Kaiser, Bob Hayssen of Varick; Greg Lazzaro, Paul Kronenwetter and Ralph Lott of Seneca Falls; Ernest Brownell of Junius; Lisa Hochadel of Waterloo; Michael Reynolds of Covert; and Lee Davidson of Lodi.

Opposed were board chairman Bob Shipley and Don Trout of Waterloo, Ron McGreevy of Tyre and Walt Prouty of Ovid.

Lorenzetti said she did not want the board to discuss the matter in executive session or to refer it to a committee. She said that’s why she brought it to the floor with a motion to waive the rules to allow it to come to the floor for open discussion.

“Those opposed to this tried to get it referred to committee, but I was hoping for the Rule 29 vote, which needs a two-thirds vote. When I got that support, I brought it to the floor for a vote,” she said.

“I tried to get answers by going through the proper channels, including filing of FOILs. The chairman of the board did not keep me in the loop as minority leader. He did not support my efforts and the county attorney said I was on a fishing expedition,” she said. “I brought up the need to get answers weeks ago and was put off. I felt I had no recourse. This goes beyond finances, which the audit is dealing with. I want to see if the actions of the leadership of the finance department and county manager’s office involved wrongdoing that contributed to the situation.”

Sheppard resigned, effective Sept. 4. Deeds resigned, effective Aug. 1. Mitch Rowe has been hired as interim county manager. The board appointed Halle Stevens as finance director Tuesday night.

Lorenzetti said she’s open to discussion of options on how to and who could conduct the investigation. She said she’s asked Rowe for suggestions and the matter may be discussed at the Sept. 25 committee meetings if not resolved before then.

She said the Sheriff’s Department has offered to conduct the investigation as one option.

In an email, Kaiser said he seconded the motion calling for the independent investigation for several reasons.

“I understand that the estimate for the costs associated with straightening out the county finances could be up to an excess of $100,000 and that doesn’t include the cost of the secondary damage done to the county due to the disarray of that department,” Kaiser said. “Various grants were put in jeopardy and projects were pursued and funded without any true knowledge of where the funds would be coming from.”

Kaiser said that over the last year and a half, he and others questioned several county capital projects and could not obtain clear financial information regarding their funding or even necessity.

“The Board of Supervisors owes it to the taxpayers and the many county staff who felt stifled from bringing these problems forward and understanding as to how this all came about,” he concluded.

Shipley, in an email, said the motion was “hastily made to create an additional, independent investigation into our county’s previous leadership. While I join my colleagues in demanding the highest level of accountability to all Seneca County residents and businesses, I believe this motion was ill-conceived.’’

He said the motion was made under Rule 29 and not referred to a committee. He said this procedural move is reserved for unavoidable, urgent legislative priorities.

“In this case, the matter should have been brought forward two weeks ago when meaningful dialogue and input could have been incorporated to further define and address the scope of an otherwise ambiguous resolution,” Shipley said.

He also said an independent audit has been underway for several weeks, an annual audit of county finances.

“Given the transition of several key leaders, this year’s audit was expanded to accommodate additional areas. To date, the audit team has evaluated a considerable amount of information and had corrected errors mainly related to account reconciliation,” he said. “At this time, we have been given no indication of any improprieties by former employees to warrant the level of suspicion that appears rampant from some individuals.”

Shipley said the board has moved in a bipartisan way to hire Rowe and Stevens, who he said have the full support of the entire board.

“Their appointments demonstrate the positive outcomes that come from working toward solutions rather than divisive and selfish actions that are so often motivated by personal vendettas or political agendas,” he concluded.

The board voted 11-3 to allow it to come to the floor without first going through committee.

http://www.fltimes.com/news/seneca-super...7be77e5898.html

#1519600 --- 09/15/18 02:51 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: lovinglife]
BShatley1952 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
Exactly! If ALL of the details get out to the public, this will be the biggest scandal to rock the county! It's not just about what Sheppard and Deeds did, it's also about WHO knew about it and did nothing.

#1519638 --- Today at 02:46 PM Re: Seneca County to investigate its former manager, finance director [Re: BShatley1952]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
I find it rather amusing that everyone is talking but nobody is giving any details. Keep in mind that the Finger Lakes Times tends to lean towards the Democrats.
You all seem to overlook this statement,
" To date, the audit team has evaluated a considerable amount of information and had corrected errors mainly related to account reconciliation,” he said. “At this time, we have been given no indication of any improprieties by former employees to warrant the level of suspicion that appears rampant from some individuals.”

Edited by scwoodchuck (Today at 02:52 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2