Loc: NY

FingerLakes1.com
#1519117 --- 08/18/18 09:16 AM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Betty. Offline

Report: Sheppard Stepping Down As Seneca County Manager
Geneva, NY, United States / Finger Lakes Daily News
Lucas Day
August 18, 2018 06:00 am

Seneca County Manager John Sheppard is stepping down.

The Finger Lakes Times reports Sheppard confirmed with them late Friday afternoon his intentions to step down as manager September 4th. Sheppard has held the position since November 2015 and has three years remaining on his term.

Before coming to Seneca County, Sheppard was town of Seneca supervisor. A retired lieutenant colonel with the U.S. Air Force, Sheppard served as chairman of the Ontario County Board of Supervisors. Before getting into local government, Sheppard was vice-president of Sheppard Grain in Phelps.

#1519121 --- 08/18/18 01:19 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

If the Board appoints the next County Manager by years end that will be 5 in 7 years.

#1519122 --- 08/18/18 01:33 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Anyone else think we should just elect someone to this position, I mean a year term sounds about the length we should go for.

#1519123 --- 08/18/18 02:03 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: DR. D]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
I'd like to see an elected County Executive and a county legislature. This weighted voting means that people in the least populous towns really have little say in County government.

#1519124 --- 08/18/18 02:09 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

I think that would be a really good thing for Seneca County.

#1519125 --- 08/18/18 02:12 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: John Q Public
If the Board appoints the next County Manager by years end that will be 5 in 7 years.
do you really think they can find somebody dumb enough to want the job ?

#1519126 --- 08/18/18 02:13 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

Not surprising in the least. I think there is more to this.

#1519127 --- 08/18/18 02:16 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
I'd like to see an elected County Executive and a county legislature. This weighted voting means that people in the least populous towns really have little say in County government.
that would mean it would have to be a county resident. I can see that turning into a disaster.

#1519129 --- 08/18/18 02:30 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: scwoodchuck]
John Q Public Offline

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
that would mean it would have to be a county resident. I can see that turning into a disaster.

Have to be a County resident either way. Are you saying you haven't lived in Seneca County?

#1519130 --- 08/18/18 02:54 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

crazy

#1519140 --- 08/18/18 04:42 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

How is it working with the "pretend" County residents? Not well either. At least they would have to establish residency before running. Not claim they are living with relatives.

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck

#1519144 --- 08/18/18 06:11 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

What you implied is not true.

#1519145 --- 08/18/18 07:56 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF
You’re not going to find anyone qualified to run the County that lives here. What you will find in this county is a political buddy that needs a job that’s willing to play the games required to work under this disfunctional Board of Supervisors

Edited by MCK (08/18/18 07:58 PM)

#1519151 --- 08/19/18 10:34 AM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: MCK]
all seeing eye Offline

Rumor is that some of the supervisors are suggesting naming Sam Priem, the Director of Public Works, as the interim County Manager. That won't be very popular with some people.

" In other action, the closing of West River and Yellow Tavern Roads in the town of Fayette for state-sponsored bridge repair projects drew the ire of Lorenzetti and others.

Fayette Town Board member Linda Zwick said the two roads have now been closed for four weeks, with no work activity going on, causing time-consuming detours.

“We were told the work would be done by July 4, weather permitting,’’ Zwick said. “The weather has been good. The county manager said it would be done by the end of June.” Zwick said another date she was given was July 9.

But county Public Works Director Sam Priem said the contractor left the site to work on another project. He said he has pushed the contractor to finish to no avail. “The contract has a 180-day completion so it should be done before school starts,’’ Priem said, causing groans among some in the audience.

Rick Conley Jr., speaking for the Varick-Fayette Fire District, harshly criticized the delay, calling it a public safety issue. He said the detours are damaging town roads. “Get those roads open. Get after it. Get with it,’’ he said.

Lorenzetti said Priem should be able to reopen the roads if no work is planned. Priem said West River Road should be open Thursday, by he’s not sure about Yellow Tavern. “Do you have the authority to reopen them on a day-to-day basis?” Lorenzetti asked.

“Yes, but I probably won’t,’’ Priem replied.

Zwick said three large farm operators have expressed frustration with the closure of the two roads and the detours, telling Zwick they are costing them time and money. She criticized the lack of notice to town officials by Priem."

http://www.fltimes.com/news/seneca-super...6b720d7f87.html

Originally Posted By: MCK
You’re not going to find anyone qualified to run the County that lives here. What you will find in this county is a political buddy that needs a job that’s willing to play the games required to work under this disfunctional Board of Supervisors

Edited by all seeing eye (08/19/18 10:36 AM)

#1519153 --- 08/19/18 02:21 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
The County ran fine for two centuries without a County Manager, but has only had problems with one. Seneca County is not a big city county.

We should go back to when the Supervisors ran the County, like it used to be.

Come to think of it, before there was a County Manager there was no Emergency Manager, Finance Director, or Public Works Commissioner... seems to me we could reduce County taxes by what, half a million or so without these positions?

#1519188 --- 08/23/18 06:56 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

We all know why he resigned. So, why would they appoint one of his hand picked cronies.

#1519207 --- 08/25/18 03:46 PM Re: County Manager Leaving [Re: Gdog]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Originally Posted By: Gdog
We all know why he resigned. So, why would they appoint one of his hand picked cronies.

We have a lot of theories on that. Don't know about the cronies thing. Maybe someone will enlighten us unwashed heathen as to what happened.

#1519222 --- 08/29/18 10:05 AM Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward

Published: 08/29/2018 @ 07:47 am | Updated: 08/29/2018 @ 07:49 am

https://fingerlakes1.com/2018/08/29/mitc...moving-forward/

Mitchell Rowe will be returning to Seneca County.

The man who served as planning director; and then county manager for a span of two years in 2012 until 2014 will return, according to Board of Supervisors Chairman Bob Shipley.

Shipley noted that with the exit of County Manager John Sheppard, experience and passion for Seneca County were crucial to the interim hiring of Rowe. His tenure will effectively begin September 5th.

“Last night the Board [of Supervisors] hired Mitch [Rowe] to succeed County Manager Sheppard,” he said following the decision. “We thank County Manager Sheppard for his dedication and look forward to continuing positive progress for Seneca County under Rowe’s leadership.”

According to some supervisors, the interim status could last as long as a year, or more. However, no definite terms were established at the meeting. Rowe will act as interim county manager until a deputy can be hired and trained for succession.

On Tuesday, Fayette Town Supervisor Cindy Lorenzetti said she was optimistic about Rowe coming on-board as interim county manager. “I think this has the potential to be a positive for Seneca County,” she said of the hiring decision.

The County will be moving into budget talks, as they prepare for the new fiscal year; and adopt a budget in November.

Rowe will receive the same salary as outgoing County Manager John Sheppard.

#1519227 --- 08/29/18 08:59 PM Re: Mitchell Rowe named interim county manager for Seneca moving forward [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

I have to admit, I am "speechless" that NONE of you have commented on any of this.

What do you think of appointing a "deputy county manager" and automatically advancing him/her at some point in the future?

Does anyone think that performance and experience should have a role in the selection of the next CM?

Shouldn't the public have more of a role? Maybe we should be looking for an elected county executive, who would answer to the people, not the BOS?

Edited by all seeing eye (08/29/18 09:00 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >