FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1517827 --- 07/25/18 08:27 PM When Will The Board Get It Straight?
John Q Public Offline

Loc: NY

FingerLakes1.com
#1517847 --- 07/26/18 07:37 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
The board will get it straight eventually but not until certain supervisors stop their obstructionist behavior. There are a few on the board who want " THEIR " way and don't care about the law. If you pay attention you will realize that there are certain supervisors who raise a stink on every issue but lose in the end.

#1517848 --- 07/26/18 08:16 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake

Looked to me that the board had a course of action, and wanted to bring an issue for action and that the Chair and the County Attorney were the obstructionists.

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
The board will get it straight eventually but not until certain supervisors stop their obstructionist behavior. There are a few on the board who want " THEIR " way and don't care about the law. If you pay attention you will realize that there are certain supervisors who raise a stink on every issue but lose in the end.

#1517859 --- 07/26/18 10:52 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
A course of action unaminously decided upon in executive session.

What is this, Seneca Falls?

#1517862 --- 07/26/18 11:41 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF
Originally Posted By: all seeing eye

Looked to me that the board had a course of action, and wanted to bring an issue for action and that the Chair and the County Attorney were the obstructionists.

So you really think it's appropriate to ignore counsel's recommendation? That doesn't usually work out well....

#1517863 --- 07/26/18 12:10 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

Counsel's recommendation? hee hee. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

#1517877 --- 07/26/18 03:02 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: MCK]
all seeing eye Offline

What the Counsel said is that the rule he invoked was ONLY enforced if someone objects. Which the Chair did.

I bet the Counsel was asked how to stop the law change about appointment of the Emergency Manager from going to Public Safety, and he suggested that the Chair call a point of order, as an "ex officio" member of all the committees. Then the Counsel would agree.

He admitted that the rule is never enforced.

Originally Posted By: MCK

So you really think it's appropriate to ignore counsel's recommendation? That doesn't usually work out well....

#1517893 --- 07/26/18 04:45 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Based on what I see the former person heading up Emergency Management doesn't want the County Admin to oversee her job. There was some claim of "conflict of interest", what conflict? Bet there is more there going on.

The move to get the BOS to oversee her job seems to be an effort to play to the Board, stroke their egos. They should be smarter than that. If this person wants so much autonomy why not have the position answerable to the Sheriff?

#1517899 --- 07/26/18 05:30 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: pingu]
John Q Public Offline

A former Sheriff desired to take over 911 and the Board wouldn't go for it.

#1517998 --- 07/28/18 07:00 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: pingu]
scwoodchuck Offline

You're getting warmer.

Originally Posted By: pingu
Based on what I see the former person heading up Emergency Management doesn't want the County Admin to oversee her job. There was some claim of "conflict of interest", what conflict? Bet there is more there going on.

The move to get the BOS to oversee her job seems to be an effort to play to the Board, stroke their egos. They should be smarter than that. If this person wants so much autonomy why not have the position answerable to the Sheriff?

#1518398 --- 08/03/18 07:56 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: pingu]
WrtlooTruths Offline

Loc: New York
The director of EMO is the only department head who is appointed by the County Manager. All other department heads are appointed by the BOS. So let's be consistent with this. This change was made many years ago due to a conflict between a previous director and the BOS.

Is there other issues between the previous director and county manager...you bet. But the use of bullying tactics and the threat of firing someone shouldn't rest in the hands of one person.

#1518461 --- 08/03/18 07:27 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: WrtlooTruths]
pingu Offline

I don't know why the EOM is not appointed by the BOS, or if that is even true. Most appointed/ management positions are via the BOS so it's strange why one isn't. Either way, the idea that one person cannot fire someone rests in the authority vested in the County Administrator. If the BOS adopts rules that say the CA can fire someone it is normally due to specific circumstances.

Let's be clear here. The situation was that the EOM was being investigated for some reason not disclosed. She resigned prior to the completion of that investigation, and so wasn't fired.

It looks to me that as some level or many levels the established process was not followed or was subverted by one or both parties. What the motive was is still unclear. To me there is a lot of posturing and attempts to paint a certain picture of the situation here. My experience tells me that you look to the one making the most noise and that is likely the source.

The BOS should really dig into what is really going on and reserve comments until all the facts are presented. That's my take on things.

#1518474 --- 08/04/18 07:55 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: pingu]
scwoodchuck Offline

Wait a minute, everyone seems to have the opinion that the county manager has more power and control than he actually has. The county manager answers to the BOS, and anything he does is usually with board approval. The county manager advises the board much like the county attorney. The county manager is appointed by the BOS and is subject to the BOS control. The BOS just gets to place the blame on the manager when something is done that is not popular.

Edited by scwoodchuck (08/04/18 07:56 AM)

#1518677 --- 08/06/18 09:04 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
John Q Public Offline

Wait a minute, everyone seems to have the opinion that the county manager has more power and control than he actually has. The county manager answers to the BOS, and anything he does is usually with board approval. The county manager advises the board much like the county attorney. The county manager is appointed by the BOS and is subject to the BOS control. The BOS just gets to place the blame on the manager when something is done that is not popular.

For once I agree with you.

#1519105 --- 08/17/18 08:26 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
all seeing eye Offline

Rumor is the County Manager resigned, effective September 4.

That leaves the County with no:

County Manager

Finance Director

Emergency Manager

Confidential Secretary to the County Manager

The person offered the Water and Sewer operator job turned it down

And the Director of Public Works has no Sewer and Water experience.

This is getting better than Netflix.

Edited by all seeing eye (08/17/18 08:33 PM)

#1519106 --- 08/17/18 08:57 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

Finger Lakes Times reporting Sheppard has resigned effective September 4.

#1519107 --- 08/17/18 08:59 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
John Q Public Offline

The woodchuck has gone underground for good.

#1519109 --- 08/17/18 10:00 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
scwoodchuck Offline

I knew Sheppard was a smart guy. Guaranteed you will hear from him again. As a former pilot he knows when to bail out, enjoy the ride as the county crashes. grin

#1519110 --- 08/17/18 10:28 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Rumor is that the county auditors (Bonadio) found a lot of fiscal problems. Not saying that is the reason, but if it is........

I knew Sheppard was a smart guy. Guaranteed you will hear from him again. As a former pilot he knows when to bail out, enjoy the ride as the county crashes. grin

#1519111 --- 08/18/18 06:07 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Rumor is that the county auditors (Bonadio) found a lot of fiscal problems. Not saying that is the reason, but if it is........

REALLY, fiscal problems ? Like that's something new. It has only been a problem for 50 years that I know of!

#1519154 --- 08/19/18 02:25 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
Rumor is the County Manager resigned, effective September 4.

That leaves the County with no:

County Manager

Finance Director

Emergency Manager

Confidential Secretary to the County Manager

The person offered the Water and Sewer operator job turned it down

And the Director of Public Works has no Sewer and Water experience.

This is getting better than Netflix.

None of these are State-mandated positions, and all but PW are open. Leave them open or better yet rescind them, Supervisors.

Do your job for once, and save your taxpayers some money.

#1519163 --- 08/21/18 10:03 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: Steve Dallas]
scwoodchuck Offline

Now what ? The board will be having a special meeting to figure out what to do next. Hopefully they will admit to themselves that they really don't want a county manager, or at least admit that some of them have no intention to let a County manager manage. There are a few supervisors who act like spoiled brats who want to control everything.

#1519164 --- 08/21/18 10:36 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

When Mitch Rowe quit, the board did not name an interim. When James Smith resigned, they didn't either.

The Department Heads ran their Departments and the Chair of the BOS did the necessary contract signing, etc. on behalf of the County.

That worked well and didn't cost the county any more money.

Now what ? The board will be having a special meeting to figure out what to do next. Hopefully they will admit to themselves that they really don't want a county manager, or at least admit that some of them have no intention to let a County manager manage. There are a few supervisors who act like spoiled brats who want to control everything.

Edited by all seeing eye (08/21/18 02:20 PM)

#1519167 --- 08/22/18 06:13 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Heard Mitch Rowe named interim County manager, anyone else hear that ?

Edited by scwoodchuck (08/22/18 06:14 AM)

#1519171 --- 08/22/18 02:51 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

That must have been discussed in the Executive Session that was closed to the public. Nothing was discussed at the open part of meeting, and the board did not report any action or take any votes when the executive session adjourned.

#1519175 --- 08/22/18 10:41 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
Gdog Offline

Does he live in the County?? I like the idea.

#1519176 --- 08/23/18 03:32 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: Gdog]
all seeing eye Offline

No, but they will probably waive that for ingestion.

#1519181 --- 08/23/18 10:41 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
John Q Public Offline

No, but they will probably waive that for ingestion.

Waive for ingestion? Does that mean they will eat him up?

#1519182 --- 08/23/18 10:44 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
all seeing eye Offline

OOOPs.

Waive the residency requirement for an interim manager.

(And they will probably eat him up....)

#1519208 --- 08/25/18 03:49 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: John Q Public]
pingu Offline

why would the Seneca BOS hire back someone that quit the job or am I missing something? I meant Mitch Rowe from the earlier comments. Don't know the person but from the comments it looks like he was manager and quit.

Edited by pingu (08/25/18 03:51 PM)

#1519214 --- 08/27/18 09:09 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Anything new, Chuck???

#1519216 --- 08/28/18 07:55 AM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Just that the BOS may realize that they goofed and aren't going to be too happy with what comes next.

#1519218 --- 08/28/18 07:11 PM Re: When Will The Board Get It Straight? [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

The board named Mitch Rowe as the interim County Manager.

Just that the BOS may realize that they goofed and aren't going to be too happy with what comes next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >