FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1515817 --- 06/19/18 10:15 AM Let's See Who Supports This Bill...
luckyduck Offline

Loc: NY
My bet is not one Democrat will sign on because then they would lose their only talking point for November. But we shall see:

Sen. Cruz Introducing Emergency Legislation to Keep Illegal Immigrant Families Together

WILL CREATE NEW TEMPORARY SHELTERS – KEEPING FAMILIES INTACT – FUND NEW IMMIGRATION JUDGES, GUARANTEE REVIEW BY AN IMMIGRATION JUDGE WITHIN 72 HOURS, AND RETURN THOSE DENIED ASYLUM TO THEIR HOME COUNTRIES WITHIN 14 DAYS

June 18, 2018 | 202-228-7561

Leer en español.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), issued the following statement:

“All Americans are rightly horrified by the images we are seeing on the news, children in tears pulled away from their mothers and fathers. This must stop. Now. We can end this crisis by passing the legislation I am introducing this week.

“Repeatedly, I have visited detention facilities tragically housing young children. For far too long, children have been the greatest victims of our broken immigration system, with tens of thousands of children who were detained under the Obama Administration and continuing through today, and with far too many of those children facing horrific physical or sexual assault from criminal human traffickers.

“The answer is not what congressional Democrats are proposing: simply releasing illegal aliens and returning to the failed policy of ‘catch and release.’ Rather, we should fix the backlog in immigration cases, remove the legal barriers to swift processing, and resolve asylum cases on an expedited basis.

“While these cases are pending, families should stay together. Children belong with their mothers and fathers. Once their cases have been adjudicated – under my legislation, in no longer than 14 days – those who meet the legal standard should be granted asylum and those who don’t should be immediately returned to their home country.

“We can fix this. If my Democratic colleagues will join me, not play politics but work to solve the problem, we can start to end family separation this week. And, we can honor the rule of law.”

This week, Sen. Cruz is introducing the Protect Kids and Parents Act, which will:

Double the number of federal immigration judges, from roughly 375 to 750.
Authorize new temporary shelters, with accommodations to keep families together.
Mandate that illegal immigrant families must be kept together, absent aggravated criminal conduct or threat of harm to the children.
Provide for expedited processing and review of asylum cases, so that—within 14 days—those who meet the legal standards will be granted asylum, and those who do not will be immediately returned to their home countries.

FingerLakes1.com
#1515821 --- 06/19/18 12:19 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
luckyduck Offline

From 2015 illustrates how well the immigration policy's of the last administration worked out:

Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/07/.../1321435931987/

#1515822 --- 06/19/18 12:20 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
luckyduck Offline

The Timeline Of The “Border Crisis” – An Intentionally Manufactured Crisis Created To Advance Comprehensive Immigration Reform ?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/201...gration-reform/

#1515823 --- 06/19/18 12:48 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
MS. VEE VANCE and 3 others Retweeted

Judd Legum
‏
Verified account

@JuddLegum
3h3 hours ago
More
UPDATE:

1. 49 members of the Democratic caucus and NO Republicans support a simple bill that would end family separation

2. Cruz is pushing a bill that would fast-track deportation and does not yet exist

3. Trump continues to implement his policy + break families apart

27 replies 396 retweets 657 likes
Reply 27 Retweet 396 Liked 657 Direct message

#1515824 --- 06/19/18 12:50 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Bill Kristol
‏
Verified account

@BillKristol
18h18 hours ago

More
How Congress can begin to redeem itself: Pass clean legislation (some version of Cruz or Feinstein) that stops the separation of kids from parents and moves to reunite families. Do so this week. With veto-proof majorities.
As for the Trump administration: It can’t redeem itself

#1515825 --- 06/19/18 12:51 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

@nyc_oz and 2 others Retweeted

Matthew Chapman
‏
Verified account

@fawfulfan
19h19 hours ago
More Matthew Chapman Retweeted The Washington Times
False.

Ted Cruz's bill DOES NOT "stop family separations".

It basically just pumps up funding for CBP and DOJ so they can deport everybody quickly. Children would still be separated from families, just not quite for as long in theory.
Matthew Chapman added,

The Washington Times
Verified account

@WashTimes
BREAKING: Ted Cruz announces bill to stop family separations at border http://bit.ly/2M4WIrV
252 replies 4,182 retweets 5,045 likes
Reply 252 Retweet 4.2K Like 5.

#1515829 --- 06/19/18 01:06 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Christina Moore Retweeted

Phil Elliott
‏
Verified account

@Philip_Elliott
34m34 minutes ago
More Phil Elliott Retweeted Phil Mattingly
This is why Leadership aides — in both parties —are popping blood pressure meds today. The WH helped negotiate the House GOP Leadership plan and now wants to rip it up.Phil Elliott added,
Phil Mattingly
Verified account

@Phil_Mattingly
Full POTUS quote on the House GOP immigration proposal: "So we have a House that’s getting ready to finalize an immigration package that they’re going to brief me on later, and then I’m gonna make changes to it."
1 reply 11 retweets 15 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 11 Like 15 Direct message

#1515832 --- 06/19/18 01:18 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
Simpleton at best boy, who controls the Senate? Who control the House but most of all, who controls the POTUS? why then this one big debate? The lying on yours and the GOP is so obvious, the dummy in the White House wants a wall so it's that or nothing at all, you have to remember, he promised you racists a WALL and Mexico would pay for it, so I guess that the only idiots left are...yes....YOU and trump. wink

I guess that Liberals know nothing about the one fact, placing a bill on the floor and embarrassing yourselves by having fellow Republicans oppose it as well is not a good position to be in.....remember the health repeals son?

#1515838 --- 06/19/18 01:55 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: Formermac]
luckyduck Offline

Originally Posted By: Formermac
Simpleton at best boy, who controls the Senate? Who control the House but most of all, who controls the POTUS?

Simple civics lesson:

1. google how many votes need in house and senate to pass a bill
2. google current makeup of house and senate
3. then google how to pass a new law

This should help you figure it out.

#1515840 --- 06/19/18 02:10 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: luckyduck
Simpleton at best boy, who controls the Senate? Who control the House but most of all, who controls the POTUS?

Simple civics lesson:

Then Trump changes it greatly to satify his base who are very anti-immigrant of any kind. This is explained three posts up. I don't know how you missed it.

Full POTUS quote on the House GOP immigration proposal: "So we have a House that’s getting ready to finalize an immigration package that they’re going to brief me on later, and then I’m gonna make changes to it."

#1515854 --- 06/19/18 05:11 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Mikel Jollett and 10 others liked

Neera Tanden 🌊
‏
Verified account

@neeratanden
22h22 hours ago
More
Let’s be clear. The only reason @tedcruz has any kind of bill on family separation is because @BetoORourke led a protest at a future tent city. Do not believe for a minute Cruz is anything but craven.

#1515882 --- 06/20/18 07:45 AM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Senator Dick Durbin
‏
Verified account

@SenatorDurbin
16m16 minutes ago
More
Ted Cruz hasn’t suddenly grown a heart. His proposed bill is an attempt to convert nationwide disgust with family separation into dangerous, anti-immigrant legislation

#1515885 --- 06/20/18 08:01 AM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
luckyduck Offline

No worries Kyle. There will be no legislation because Chuck Schumer has rejected all attempts, "I'd rather keep the focus on Trump". He'd much rather protect Democrat's re-election chances versus helping the poor children at the border. His true colors shine through and just as we Conservatives have been telling you, this is a manufactured crisis created to distract from the devastating IG report and subsequent fall out, and for helping them through mid-term elections. The truth always comes out on these liberals and their evilness.

#1515895 --- 06/20/18 12:10 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Twitter made the difference!

Jay Adams-Feuer Retweeted

Brian Krassenstein
‏

@krassenstein
35m35 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: It appears as though Trump will relent and stop separating families. Two things...

1) All those telling me that Social media is worthless and I'm tweeting for nothing, you LOSE and the children WIN!

2) I can't wait to watch Trump Surrogates backpedal on Fox News!

#1515896 --- 06/20/18 12:11 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

No worries Kyle. There will be no legislation because Chuck Schumer has rejected all attempts, "I'd rather keep the focus on Trump". He'd much rather protect Democrat's re-election chances versus helping the poor children at the border. His true colors shine through and just as we Conservatives have been telling you, this is a manufactured crisis created to distract from the devastating IG report and subsequent fall out, and for helping them through mid-term elections. The truth always comes out on these liberals and their evilness.
What a bunch of baloney. Trump could use you.

#1515899 --- 06/20/18 12:23 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: luckyduck]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Simple civics lesson:

Thank you for leaving out my post in it's entirety, something I've stated about the process needing Democratic support but more so, there are enough Republicans willing to break rank thus posing a very embarrassing propitiation. I'll research my original post in it's entirety.....ok?

#1515900 --- 06/20/18 12:24 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Simpleton at best boy, who controls the Senate? Who control the House but most of all, who controls the POTUS? why then this one big debate? The lying on yours and the GOP is so obvious, the dummy in the White House wants a wall so it's that or nothing at all, you have to remember, he promised you racists a WALL and Mexico would pay for it, so I guess that the only idiots left are...yes....YOU and trump. wink

I guess that Liberals know nothing about the one fact, placing a bill on the floor and embarrassing yourselves by having fellow Republicans oppose it as well is not a good position to be in.....remember the health repeals son?

Here we go!!!!!!!

Remember boy to ensure a safe descent or climb, one best secure a good and heavy rope or better yet, use said rope to hang yourself which you often do.

#1515904 --- 06/20/18 02:07 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: Formermac]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Lord Lisa Simpson Democrat Space Force liked

Ryan Knight 🌊
‏

@ProudResister
17m17 minutes ago
More
3 FACTS:

— Trump is NOT ending zero-tolerance policy. Families will be kept ‘together’ in concentration camps INDEFINITELY.

— Previously under the 1997 Flores settlement children could only be kept in immigration detention for 20 days.

— Thousands of children REMAIN separated.

#1515905 --- 06/20/18 02:07 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

More
🙋🏻‍♂️Oh I know I know🙋🏻‍♂️

Hey Donald

Why don’t you go down to your concentration camps & throw some Bounty paper towels at the problem

Maybe that will fix the crisis

You fat over paid rapist who can’t keep his phucking hands to himself

#BlueTsunami2018

#1515906 --- 06/20/18 02:10 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Lord Lisa Simpson Democrat Space Force and Johanne Kaminski liked

Kurt Eichenwald
‏
Verified account

@kurteichenwald
25m25 minutes ago
More Kurt Eichenwald Retweeted Katie Rogers
Why it is impossible to discuss anything with Trump cultists. They live in an alternate version of reality, where they defend a policy they say doesnt exist, and deny evidence that the supposedly nonexistent policy they support has outcomes.Kurt Eichenwald added,
Katie Rogers
Verified account

@katierogers
Common theme: A Trump supporter in Duluth, one of many waiting in a long line outside tonight’s rally location, just told me she has compassion for separated families but ultimately believes that the detainment center photos and videos are fake and photoshopped.
83 replies 141 retweets 323 likes
Reply 83 Retweet 141 Like 323 Direct message

#1515907 --- 06/20/18 02:22 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Eugene Gu, MD
‏
Verified account

@eugenegu
5m5 minutes ago
More Eugene Gu, MD Retweeted Reveal
As a doctor, I’ve only given anti-psychotics like haldol or zyprexa to patients who are dangerously delirious. We use them judiciously—never as a chemical restraint for our convenience to the patient’s detriment. Using them to make imprisoned kids more pliable is a heinous crime.Eugene Gu, MD added,
Reveal
Verified account

@reveal
1/ Immigrant children have been forcibly injected with powerful psychiatric drugs at one of the U.S. gov't shelters, Shiloh Treatment Center outside of Houston, according to court documents and interviews.

Show this thread
0 replies 0 retweets 213 likes
Reply Retweet Liked 213 Direct message

#1515908 --- 06/20/18 02:59 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Pé Resists
‏
@4everNeverTrump

More
The Trump Administration lied about the existence of its family separation policy.

They lied when they claimed it was based in law.

They lied when they claimed that only Congress could change it.

And we're supposed to believe them when they say they'll end it?

Please

0 replies 5 retweets 11 likes

#1515909 --- 06/20/18 03:06 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

From Fox news (not a tweet)

I remember during the campaign Trump said with him as president we would get tired of all the winning. In fact it is just the opposite. What a loser he is.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/06/20/jo...ations-disaster

National Review senior editor Jonah Goldberg criticized the Trump administration's mixed messaging when it comes to migrant families being separated at the border.

Goldberg said his confidence that Congress can find a solution is "low," arguing that the Trump administration has botched the situation by not having a unified message.

"This has been the worst-messaged policy screw-up of any president in my lifetime," he said on "America's Newsroom," calling out Trump for alternating between blaming Democrats and saying he likes the policy.

"Regardless of what you think of the moral horror at the border ... just his messaging, this has been a disaster.
"

#1515915 --- 06/20/18 04:26 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

More Renato Mariotti Retweeted Steven Portnoy
That's one reason why Trump's executive order is worded to only require that the family be kept together "where appropriate and consistent with law and available resources." As a practical matter, children will still be taken from their parents under his new policy.Renato Mariotti added,
Steven Portnoy
Verified account

@stevenportnoy
JUST IN: Senior Justice Department official Gene Hamilton confirms the Flores settlement still controls, and that unless Congress or the court acts, the government can only detain families together for "up to 20 days."
7 replies 111 retweets 116 likes
Reply 7 Retweet 111 Like 116 Direct message

#1515916 --- 06/20/18 04:29 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Grant Stern Retweeted

Walter Shaub
‏
Verified account

@waltshaub
1h1 hour ago
More
BOTTOM LINE:
1. THE CHILDREN HAVE NOT BEEN RETURNED
2. THE SEPARATIONS HAVE NOT STOPPED YET
3. LOOPHOLES IN THE EXECUTIVE ORDER CREATE WIGGLE ROOM TO DO IT AGAIN
4. THE LIES ("no policy, period" "only Congress can stop this") HAVE BEEN EXPOSED SO THEY GET NO BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

#1515917 --- 06/20/18 04:45 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

More Peter Daou Retweeted James Martin, SJ
This is a valid fear and we need to keep the pressure up until we get answers and solutions.Peter Daou added,
James Martin, SJ
Verified account

@JamesMartinSJ
My fear about the #MigrantChildren is that the children already taken from their parents will never be reunited; that a new group of migrant families will be imprisoned together, and after new crisis will distract us, people will ask, "Whatever happened to those kids anyway?" 1/
Show this thread
3 replies 21 retweets 316 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 21 Liked 316

#1515918 --- 06/20/18 04:45 PM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Arya Snark, #WinterIsHere 🌊 Retweeted

Bill Prady
‏
Verified account

@billprady
2h2 hours ago
More
Hey, @waltshaub — it’s important that everyone understand the order signed today will not effectively end family separation. Because courts have ruled there’s a limitation on the incarceration of children, this order will fail. Only ending “zero tolerance” will end separation.

#1515936 --- 06/21/18 07:41 AM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Cosmic Perspective 🌙 ✨ 🌌 🌌 🌌 Retweeted

Jeanne Mann
‏

@Jeanne_Mann
8h8 hours ago
More
Replying to @brianstelter @maddow
OK, one more time. Obama did not separate kids from parents. He did not cage kids, or drug them to quiet their screaming. Families were kept together. There was a limit on how long they could be detained. This was Trump’s policy alone. No law required it.

#1515949 --- 06/21/18 10:34 AM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

MommaT‏

@tweetmommybop
13h13 hours ago
More
Let us not wipe our tears, for we have yet to see the little girls & babies reunited with mothers.

Reporters don’t pack it up yet.
We want proof not empty promise

#1515950 --- 06/21/18 10:36 AM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Rep. Kevin Cramer thinks people are being melodramatic about kids in cages.

A disturbing number of congressional Republicans have defended the Trump administration’s barbaric practice of separating migrant families.

One of the more callous responses came from Rep. Kevin Cramer of North Dakota’s at-large congressional district, who is currently running against Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp.

Speaking to Gray Television on Tuesday, Cramer essentially told people to stop treating family separation like such a big deal.

“I think there’s a lot of over-dramatization if you want to know the truth, but I would say this: North Dakotans are most concerned about safety and security at our borders,” Cramer said.

Trump’s “zero tolerance” policy against migrant families has led to more than 2,000 children being detained, some in cages, and the administration is planning to put more in “tent cities.”

Some of these children are being severely mistreated: CBS heard from immigrant kids who said they were being malnourished, and one lawsuit even alleges some detained children were forcibly injected with psychiatric drugs.

And all separated children are at risk for permanent trauma and lifelong health problems as a result of their ordeal, as more than 5,000 health and child development experts have warned the administration.

Cramer is not alone among Republicans in downplaying the crisis. On Tuesday, New York ex-Rep. Michael Grimm, who is running to reclaim his old seat, claimed child separations are no big deal because children also cry when they are dropped off at daycare.

But polls show the public, far from considering the reports “over-dramatization,” overwhelmingly wants these family separations to end.

Even Trump is starting to realize how politically toxic his actions have become. He made a big show on Wednesday of signing of an executive order that supposedly keeps families together, but in reality makes it possible to detain families indefinitely.

Heitkamp, unlike her rival Cramer, is adamantly opposed to the practice.

“They need to be reunited with their parents,” she said on local 970 WDAY radio, referring to the separated children.

Heitkamp has also cosponsored the Keep Families Together Act, which has support in the Senate from every Democrat and no Republicans.

Cramer’s indifference to the suffering of migrant children is appalling. He should be held to account for it by the public.

#1515951 --- 06/21/18 10:42 AM Re: Let's See Who Supports This Bill... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

WASHINGTON — Once again this week, President Donald Trump appeared to throw a wrench into the immigration debate on Capitol Hill — this time, by suggesting hours before the House was to vote Thursday on a pair of GOP immigration measures that passing the bills would be a waste of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >