FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1514950 --- 05/23/18 02:49 PM Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook
luckyduck Offline

Loc: NY
Here's how the compassionate and caring left reacted to the tragedy that was Sandy Hook. It's all about the optics, "never let a crisis go to waste".

At 6:57PM EST on December 16, 2012, Duncan wrote to Emanuel in a message titled “CT shootings.”

Duncan asked the Chicago mayor, “What are your thoughts?”

Five minutes later, Emanuel responded, “Go for a vote this week before it fades. Tap peoples emotion. Make it simple assault weapons.”

Duncan responded immediately, “Yup- thanks.”

It was two days after the shooting, when Emanuel and Duncan collaborated on a message.

“When I did brady bill and assault weapons for clinton we always made it simple. Criminals or war weapons,” Emanuel said in the email to Duncan.

“Gun show loophole?” Duncan responded. “Database? Cop-killer bullets? Too complicated?” he said.

“Cop killer maybe,” Emanuel responded. “The other no.”

The exchange ended when Duncan concluded with, “Got it.”

Two days after the Sandy Hook massacre, the former education secretary and the sitting mayor of Chicago were already discussing a national strategy.

Full article:

http://thebaltimorepost.com/former-white...hool-tragedies/

FingerLakes1.com
#1514953 --- 05/23/18 07:14 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: luckyduck]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
It speaks a whole lot about your demeanor and personality when one has need to politicize the killing of our American children. Since Sandy Hook, how many killings have taken place? By now, it evident that nothing of substance will take place until politic is overtaken by love and compassion...nothing else until your grandchild,son, daughter etc. becomes the next victim, what are the odds that you'll want something done, beside coming here speaking of a killing being superseded by many more since.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/us/politics/alex-jones-trump-sandy-hook.html

BTW, I'm a human first, family man and a good neighbor who fears God, my political stance takes a back seat to any of the above, how about you? I'll make this one unproven assumption about you, in the last 20 years, I've voted, Democratic, Republican and lastly in 2016, voted Independent, what are the chances that you can always be dependent upon to give your vote to a Republican irrespective of qualification, once again, common sense, compassion and country as a whole, not just a White/Black America but a total America, completed with every ethnicity imagine but what is being ushered in by the likes of Trump supporters, are those who seem to have forgotten about our future generation of children having safe schools whether in the inner city or rural localities....you know...a place where they can learn and not fear a war zone.

#1514968 --- 05/24/18 07:51 AM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: Formermac]
luckyduck Offline

Originally Posted By: Formermac
It speaks a whole lot about your demeanor and personality when one has need to politicize the killing of our American children.

I agree. Exactly why I posted the above emails between Emanuel and the then secretary of education.

#1514969 --- 05/24/18 09:56 AM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: luckyduck]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
I was talking locally, you in particular, seeing that I'm relegated to "Standing in line and taking a number in regard to getting a voice with Capital Hill" here, I still have the Constitutional right to state my opinion regardless and that's even being compromised with the idiot in the White House. whistle

#1516016 --- 06/23/18 03:30 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: luckyduck]
The Mechanic Offline

Sandy Hook taught us, once again, that law abiding, mentally stable conservative NRA members aren't committing mass murder.

#1516019 --- 06/23/18 04:00 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: The Mechanic
Sandy Hook taught us, once again, that law abiding, mentally stable conservative NRA members aren't committing mass murder.
But they refuse to pass sensible gun laws that would not allow unstable people to own guns.

#1516025 --- 06/24/18 01:41 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

Originally Posted By: kyle585
But they refuse to pass sensible gun laws that would not allow unstable people to own guns.

There is already laws about those who have a confirmed pysch history from owning guns.

The Sandy Hook killer killed the owner of the gun and stole the gun. There are laws in place for that also.

#1516032 --- 06/24/18 01:59 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

There is already laws about those who have a confirmed pysch history from owning guns.

The Sandy Hook killer killed the owner of the gun and stole the gun. There are laws in place for that also.
Ever state has different gun laws. Most of the guns used by killers in Chicago come in from other states with less strict gun laws.

#1516034 --- 06/24/18 02:01 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/trump-nixed-gun-control-rule/

Q: Did President Donald Trump repeal a rule that aims to block some people with mental disorders from buying guns?

A: Yes. The Social Security Administration is no longer required to submit the names of certain mentally disabled beneficiaries to a federal agency that conducts gun background checks.

A total of 47 states have laws requiring or authorizing the reporting of some mentally ill people either to the NICS or a similar state database, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. That includes 16 states that require the reporting of individuals who have been “appointed a guardian because they lack the capacity to manage their own affairs.”

There is “some overlap” in the reporting, Nichols said, but no one knows how much.

#1516035 --- 06/24/18 02:09 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

The law in place is for those adjudicated mentally ill. That still stands. Barry Obama attempted to use the Social Security Administration to go after those, mainly veterans, who have never been adjudicated as mentally ill, only because they have a rep payee to help handle their finances.

It was just a gun grab, without due process, on those who aren't out shooting up schools.

#1516036 --- 06/24/18 02:12 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-hughes-bryant-gun-violence-research-20180226-story.html

We have all the data we need: Stronger gun laws would save lives

The day after the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Fla., House Speaker Paul Ryan sounded a cautious note: "I think as public policy makers, we don't just knee-jerk before we even have all of the facts and the data."

It's a common refrain from politicians opposed to strengthening gun laws: They use "lack of data" as a fig leaf for their inaction.
The day after the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Fla., House Speaker Paul Ryan sounded a cautious note: "I think as public policy makers, we don't just knee-jerk before we even have all of the facts and the data."

It's a common refrain from politicians opposed to strengthening gun laws: They use "lack of data" as a fig leaf for their inaction.

Legislation that reduces the easy availability and number of firearms is the best way to respond to mass school shootings, church shootings, domestic violence and firearm-suicide. To delay any longer is to dishonor the 17 lives lost in Parkland, and the more than 38,000 Americans killed annually by guns.

#1516037 --- 06/24/18 02:20 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

What happened at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was a systematic failure. The FBI did nothing. The Broward S.O. prior to the shooting did nothing. On the day of the shooting an officer chickened out and hesitated.

The shooting wasn't done by a veteran on Social Security who has help with his finances. And it wasn't done by a conservative law abiding NRA member.

#1516038 --- 06/24/18 02:24 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

Yeah I see stronger gun laws work real well in Chicago and Los Angeles.

It seems the cities with the strongest gun laws, all have democrat mayors and have the most violence. The guy writing his opinion in the LA Times didn't mention that.

Oh well looks like I'm keeping my guns as the democrats flat out refuse to address violent crime.

#1516039 --- 06/24/18 02:26 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Yeah I see stronger gun laws work real well in Chicago and Los Angeles.
I just pointed out to you that must Chicago guns are brought in from states with weak gun laws. mad

#1516040 --- 06/24/18 02:29 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

I saw a newspaper with four pictures on it: a car, a boat, a dog, and a gun. The caption said which can you own without registering?

I say which is the most dangerous?

#1516041 --- 06/24/18 02:32 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

<!-- -->
I saw a newspaper with four pics on it: a car, a boat, a dog, and a gun. The caption said which can you own without registering?

I say which is the most dangerous?

My handguns are registered and they haven't killed anyone. How does registering a gun now keep someone from killing someone next year?

Cars are registered and more people are killed in car accidents every year than with guns.

#1516042 --- 06/24/18 02:36 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

I just pointed out to you that must Chicago guns are brought in from states with weak gun laws. mad

What about the federal law already on the books that makes it a felony to bring a gun across state lines? What about the federal laws on the books about possession and transfer of guns?

#1516043 --- 06/24/18 02:39 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

What about the federal law already on the books that makes it a felony to bring a gun across state lines? What about the federal laws on the books about possession and transfer of guns?
Can I carry gun across state lines?

If you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon in your home state, you would be allowed to carry it in all of them. ... If the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act becomes law, they'll be able to carry them legally across state lines and onto the streets of any city in America. Feb 11, 2018

#1516044 --- 06/24/18 02:40 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

People also ask

Can you bring a gun across state lines?

Many states require ammo be kept separate from firearms in the vehicle. If you do not have a permit to carry, loaded guns in the vehicle must be in plain view. If concealed in the glove box, your firearm must be unloaded.Jul 9, 2015

#1516045 --- 06/24/18 02:41 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Can you ship a gun across state lines?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state.

#1516046 --- 06/24/18 02:42 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Can you buy a gun at a gun show in a different state?

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws. Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks. ... Some states' requirements are limited only to handgun purchases.

#1516047 --- 06/24/18 02:43 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

What states do not require background checks at gun shows?

Only six states (California, Colorado, Illinois, New York, Oregon and Rhode Island) require universal background checks on allfirearm sales at gun shows, including sales by unlicensed dealers. Three more states (Connecticut, Maryland and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun sales made at gun shows.

#1516048 --- 06/24/18 02:44 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

What states do not require a background check to buy a gun?

Nine states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington) and DC require universal background checks at the point of sale for all sales and transfers of all classes of firearms, whether they are purchased from a licensed dealer or an unlicensed seller.

#1516059 --- 06/24/18 06:45 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

ohn Lundin &#127754; and 3 others liked

Rep. Eric Swalwell
&#8207;
Verified account

@RepSwalwell
32m32 minutes ago
More
I just chatted w/ a Republican in #Oklahoma. He told me he’s a gun owner that believes in background checks & said he agrees on 90% of what I want on immigration reform. Oh, and he thinks @realDonaldTrump is despicable. There’s more like him. Let’s #unite and reshape America.

177 replies 1,374 retweets 4,239 likes
Reply 177 Retweet 1.4K Liked 4.2K Direct message

#1517105 --- 07/17/18 04:36 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

Can I carry gun across state lines?

If you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon in your home state, you would be allowed to carry it in all of them. ... If the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act becomes law, they'll be able to carry them legally across state lines and onto the streets of any city in America. Feb 11, 2018

The Reciprocity Act isn't a law. Maybe it will be maybe it won't.
Law abiding citizens with permits are not the ones committing these crimes. One can get the Utah permit and carry in many states now. And yet they aren't committing these heinous crimes.

#1517106 --- 07/17/18 04:37 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: kyle585]
The Mechanic Offline

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws. Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks. ... Some states' requirements are limited only to handgun purchases.

The so called gun show loophole has already been proven to be a huge lefty lie. There is no such thing.

#1517113 --- 07/17/18 05:08 PM Re: Dem Reaction to Sandy Hook [Re: The Mechanic]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

The so called gun show loophole has already been proven to be a huge lefty lie. There is no such thing.
https://thinkprogress.org/matt-schlapp-gun-show-loophole-ed3d8dd5623c/

Fox News guest tells blatant lie about gun show loophole, host makes no attempt to correct him

Matt Schlapp chairs the influence American Conservative Union, hosts of the annual CPAC gathering

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >