FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1514437 --- 05/01/18 09:45 PM Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Bob Lonsberry on Twitter

Plenty of upset among #Seneca7 runners about political jab in race t-shirt. Running should not become another hotbed of progressive intolerance. Leave the politics at home. Race co-director Jackie Augustine, Keuka professor and former Geneva Democrat politician, is suspected.

7:31 AM - 1 May 2018

FingerLakes1.com
#1514441 --- 05/02/18 07:01 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
LOL! Leave it to Jackie (if indeed it was) to put something like this on the tee! Just can't leave it at home? It's also funny to note the the runner is dead last and the banner it tattered, it's the shortest and is not upright.

So many underlying messages in that....

It's not so funny that someone is so focused on that particular subject that it filters into all aspects of their life. We should be sympathetic to this persons' struggle.

#1514444 --- 05/02/18 08:12 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
4sizzle Offline

Loc: here and there
I find this very sad. This was an awesome event that several really good people donate to and it has to be tarnished by the beliefs of a few people. The people that donated to this are outraged that politics had to come into this. I wish them luck getting sponsors next year.

#1514446 --- 05/02/18 09:41 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
What is the "political jab" portrayed on the tee shirt?

Edit:
I've been informed the flag in question can be interpreted to represent a picture of the president's head. If true, that seems terribly immature and petty.

Edited by FLaker (05/02/18 10:49 AM)

#1514448 --- 05/02/18 12:01 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
IrieInFLX Offline

Loc: FLX
Sounds about right. "Doing the Write Thing", the self-righteous 'do as I say not as I do' garbage opinion piece from the garbage Finger Lakes Times. How some people can be so hypocritical and keep a straight face blows my mind.

#1514450 --- 05/02/18 12:44 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: IrieInFLX]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
If all what any of you say is true, attempts to make a anti Trump statement in hopes of getting some form of attention......based on the views and comments, the culprit(s) have already accomplished their agenda by some taking issue with said subject.

#1514451 --- 05/02/18 01:15 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
rock 963 Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
It's dumb. This is a nice event that hundreds of people participate in. Why does it have to get political? Since when is running/cycling politics? This event should encourage everyone who wants to participate in it, to do just that, participate. It shouldn't matter what your world views are. It's a shame that this event had to become part of someone's political agenda. We get it Jackie, you're a liberal and anti-trump. Guess what? No one cares. It's a race for Pete's sake.

#1514454 --- 05/02/18 03:17 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
Tacitus Offline

This is a profit-making event for her and her boyfriend. People come from all over to participate. Sponsors want their brand in front of those people. Doubtful that any backlash (however well-deserved) will be effective.

#1514466 --- 05/03/18 08:42 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
Kells Offline

The event's Facebook page addressed the 'controversy' a day ago. You were probably so busy doing good things for the local community that you missed it. wink

#1514467 --- 05/03/18 08:46 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: pingu]
Kells Offline

Originally Posted By: pingu
It's also funny to note the the runner is dead last and the banner it tattered, it's the shortest and is not upright.

So many underlying messages in that....

You're not wrong! Just your description of the flag... tattered... shortest... not upright... speaks volumes upon volumes about this administration.

(Well, shortest remains to be seen. But I think we all know haha.)

Edit: dead last on approval ratings? Oh it's too easy!!

Edited by Kells (05/03/18 09:30 AM)

#1514482 --- 05/03/18 08:25 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: Kells]
rock 963 Offline

What are you talking about? The point here is that this is a race and politics has nothing to do with it. The fact that the shirt depicts what it does and having nothing to do with a race, but someone's (cough, Jackie Augustine, cough) political agenda, is the problem. Not the proper event to express an opinion that no one cares about. Trump supporter or not, does it really matter for this event? No.

#1514483 --- 05/03/18 09:35 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: Kells]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Your bias is showing.... read my post again. The anti-trump runner is last, the banner is tattered and is lowest compared to the rest.

Wow. If this was meant to be some protest against trump, it fell a bit short or at least finished last....

#1514485 --- 05/03/18 10:45 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: pingu]
Kells Offline

Originally Posted By: pingu
If this was meant to be some protest against trump, it fell a bit short or at least finished last....

Stop, please, stop! Everything you say makes me think of a Trump presidency! You're slaying me over here.

#1514486 --- 05/03/18 10:48 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: rock 963]
Kells Offline

Originally Posted By: rock 963
What are you talking about? The point here is that this is a race and politics has nothing to do with it. The fact that the shirt depicts what it does and having nothing to do with a race, but someone's (cough, Jackie Augustine, cough) political agenda, is the problem. Not the proper event to express an opinion that no one cares about. Trump supporter or not, does it really matter for this event? No.

You should suck on a lozenge for that cough.

Someone on the race's Facebook page posted a picture of Trump photoshopped to look like Jesus, along with a comment that Trump should build that wall. The irony of this was lost on the conservatives who raced to the page to like that comment. How did conservatism lower itself to this level? Discuss.

Edited by Kells (05/03/18 10:49 PM)

#1514487 --- 05/04/18 12:57 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: Kells]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Apparently, Lonseberry and more than a few forum posters are too busy defensively carping over some perceived slight, than to investigate the actual reason that the image was used on T-shirts in the first place. The group is a strong public proponent of Seneca Lake environmental wellbeing. The flag is representative of the Trump administration's drastic cuts to environmental funding that would have a direct, dramatic negative effect on the local environment.

If you don't like the message, dispense with the insincere outrage and organize you own event.

Last I knew, it was a free country.

#1514488 --- 05/04/18 01:00 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: rock 963]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: rock 963

Apparently, more than a few DO indeed care. Their event, their rules.

#1514493 --- 05/04/18 07:19 AM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: Timbo]
Kells Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo
The flag is representative of the Trump administration's drastic cuts to environmental funding that would have a direct, dramatic negative effect on the local environment.

So true! Trump slashed the budget to protect the lakes by 90% - silence. A race put a slash across Trump on a t-shirt - OUTRAGE!

Those must be the conservative values we hear so much about. As their fearful leader would say: SAD!

#1514504 --- 05/04/18 12:40 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: Kells]
rock 963 Offline

The point here is that there shouldn't be ANY politics involved in this event. Conservative, liberal, moderate, whatever. It's a f'in race and politics have no business in it, regardless of your views. That's the problem with people nowadays is that we've become so enthralled in the bs that we can't even take some time to enjoy a race without someone trying to push their agenda. Just leave the crap out of it. Oh and Kells, I'll give you a lozenge.

#1514508 --- 05/04/18 01:08 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
It's disappointing to me because, as I understand it, this race was created in conjunction with Hobart and William Smith students to invite and welcome people to the Finger Lakes. Some people walked away from the race and the region unnecessarily disappointed and offended. If a race is advertised as a public asset, treat it as such.

#1514509 --- 05/04/18 01:33 PM Re: Anti-Trump Seneca7 shirt controversy [Re: newsman38]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
Considering the race runs through a number of "conservative" counties (Ontario, Yates, Schuyler, Seneca) and relies on volunteers who reside in those counties, I'm not sure I'd want to be offending Republicans, unless Jackie wants to start paying people to work the event out of her own pocket.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >