FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1514247 --- 04/20/18 07:30 PM Vacation Rentals
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
So taxes continue to beat up property owners yet vacation rental property opportunities are now getting a scrutiny that could spell its demise. Obviously the hotels don’t want the competition and they will fan the flames of discontent. The independent property owner should be allowed every opportunity to maximize their income. Property assessments for “desirable” properties are up by 20%. That means that in five short years they double. If their owners are willing to deal with the work, how can anyone deny them the opportunity and put roadblocks up?

FingerLakes1.com
#1514250 --- 04/21/18 07:58 AM Re: Vacation Rentals [Re: Here's Johnny]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Typical response from someone who thinks he is the only one that has " RIGHTS " !

#1514359 --- 04/27/18 09:32 AM Re: Vacation Rentals [Re: scwoodchuck]
The Mechanic Offline

Loc: NY
<!-- -->
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Typical response from someone who thinks he is the only one that has " RIGHTS " !

If Here's Johnny is a property owner than yes he has a right to complain.

#1514571 --- 05/07/18 11:36 AM Re: Vacation Rentals [Re: Here's Johnny]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
I used to own on the lake, did the vacation rental thing too. It was my right to take advantage of the opportunity, one which I would have gladly NOT had to do. It helped pay for the taxes and it was not as easy as those might think. Nevertheless anyone in a similar situation has every right to pursue it. I take exception with anyone saying otherwise. The lake is not a typical neighborhood. The lake gets noisy with or without rentals. The dwellings are very close together and people come there to enjoy themselves. Jet skis, bass boats, fireworks, dogs, big family parties, and drunken carryings on are the norm. In my rental situation, I lived nearby and oversaw the comings and goings, dealt with noise issues, and did my best to respect concerns that came to my attention, attempting for the most part to anticipate and mitigate issues beforehand. Even so I put up with sneers and looks from my more prosperous new comer neighbors. They thought they could bring their suburban mind set with them but how would they know otherwise? We all want it the way we want it.

#1516031 --- 06/24/18 01:58 PM Re: Vacation Rentals [Re: Here's Johnny]
The Mechanic Offline

Loc: NY
I agree with you. I started renting out my cabin in the Adirondacks to hunters and fisherman and have found it pretty lucrative in the winter for those who like to snowmobile.