FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1514157 --- 04/15/18 07:03 AM Is ethics committee a good idea
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
So some people think Seneca Falls needs an ethics committee. First question, who gets to choose who is on such a committee ?

FingerLakes1.com
#1514159 --- 04/15/18 09:10 AM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake

Actually, the Law requires each municipality to have a code of ethics, and they may establish an ethics board. The code should specify where complaints or inquiries should be directed.

At the County, for example, a Board Committee is responsible for ethics, but I don't think they answer questions or issue opinions. I think that is the HR director and County Attorney:

COMMITTEE NO. 5 – HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES: (Chair Ron McGreevy, Vice-Chair Greg Lazzaro, Robert Hayssen, Michael Reynolds, Lisa Hochadel)
Responsible for the Human Resources Department, Insurance, Risk Management, Worker Compensation and Third Party Administrator, Labor Management, Civil Service employee contracts, salaries, benefits, ethics and affirmative action program

Section 806(1)(a) of the General Municipal Law provides that the governing body of every county, city, town, village, school district and fire district shall and the governing body of any other municipality may by local law, ordinance or resolution adopt a code of ethics. Section 808(1) states that the governing body of a county may establish a county board of ethics, and subdivision (2) indicates that it “shall render advisory opinions to officers and employees of municipalities wholly or partly within the county...” Subdivision (3) authorizes any municipality other than a county to establish a local board of ethics, which has the same powers and duties with respect to that municipality as the county board of ethics. In short, although thousands of municipalities other than counties are required to adopt codes of ethics, while many choose to do so, they are not required to create ethics boards.

Seems to me separate board would better protect the public.

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
So some people think Seneca Falls needs an ethics committee. First question, who gets to choose who is on such a committee ?

#1514160 --- 04/15/18 10:01 AM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

DUH

#1514165 --- 04/16/18 09:04 AM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: scwoodchuck]
Gdog Offline

Yeah ok, and this will fix the nepotism and/or conflict of interest problems.

#1514168 --- 04/16/18 04:04 PM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: Gdog]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Doesn't seem to be too much interest Chuck. Could it be that the Seneca Falls Environmental Action Committee doesn't want all their false accusations exposed ? The SFEAC people seem to have a lot to say at meetings and in the paper. An ethics committee just might expose their lies, false accusations and propaganda. Remember the wopper about Seneca County having the highest cancer rates in the state when we are actually 48th. And the one about having the 2 largest landfills in the state when Ontario County Landfill is the 17th largest. Having an ethics committee is a good idea, but you can be sure the Seneca Falls Environmental Action Committee ain't going to like it.

#1514171 --- 04/17/18 01:16 PM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: Hello_Governer]
scwoodchuck Offline

They're doing the same thing with the incinerator as well. First they say we should do the same as Sweden and other countries then they use outdated inaccurate information to fight it. NIMBYS

#1514177 --- 04/17/18 08:18 PM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: scwoodchuck]
deadphilosopher Offline

Loc: New York
The problem I see with these ethics committees is that they are appointed by the people that the committee is suppose to be watching over. Isn't that the same as appointing the fox to watch the hen house? I don't know the answer on having a completely independent committee that does not answer to those that they are supposeto watch and advise. I wish I did, as that would solve a lot of our problems in the entire country. The sad thing is that Cuomo appointed a team that was totally independent and when they started looking in and finding things about his lack of ethics he disbanded that ethics committee for the state. I am afraid that would happen at the local level. Anyone have an idea of how to design and implement a truly independent team that would not be partial to any side and would look at just facts? I am willing to listen and help figure it out. I just can not see an answer at this point at how divided we are as a society. What really scares me is that the old adage a house divided will fall.

Edited by deadphilosopher (04/17/18 08:20 PM)

#1514188 --- 04/18/18 06:31 AM Re: Is ethics committee a good idea [Re: deadphilosopher]
scwoodchuck Offline

Geneva has a ethics committee and the two most UNETHICAL CITY COUNCILLORS helped start it. It's just another tool used to cause trouble and cause confusion in the minds of the public.