FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1514112 --- 04/12/18 09:42 AM FLDDSO> People First?
Deepblue5562 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
OPWDD's(Office for people with developmental disabilities)motto is "People First. That is anything but the truth. I spent over 30 yrs in that agency and know them for what they are. Their latest endeavor involves the re-homing of sex offenders to a community residence on Wabash Rd.in the town of Stanley. To do this they will displace up to 12 long term residents. Some of these residents have lived there in that home, their home, for 20-30 yrs. Their family, the other residents and staff will all be split up and scattered to other homes through out the Finger Lakes and upstate NY. This is a huge loss for them. Not only will they each be losing their house mates and staff that make up the only family many of them have they will also be losing their program sites and class rooms. This is all in favor of bringing in sex offenders that generate more money for the agency. One of the current staff there spoke up and informed one of the parents of a resident. This was found out and she was immediately placed on administrative leave. OPWDD/ FLDDSO are anything but straight forward, honest or "PEOPLE FIRST". If this were any other population there would be out rage. The only they feel comfortable doing this is because this population cannot advocate or speak up for themselves. In short the very agency that is supposed to protect them is doing anything but that and is banking on their inability to protest. Any staff that speak up are removed from duty. Imagine if this were done to you or someone you love.

Edited by Deepblue5562 (04/12/18 09:43 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1514114 --- 04/12/18 11:07 AM Re: FLDDSO> People First? [Re: Deepblue5562]
ruby2 Offline

I sympathize with you.  You told your story well, but I would recommend you reach out to news organizations.  There are elements in your story that should interest them.  You need a larger audience than what you will get on here.  Don't give up, if one station rejects you, contact another one.  If they reject you, ask them for some advise on how to proceed.  I went online and came up with Spectrum News Rochester which I have  included below for you.  Good luck.  There is so much that is wrong these days with so many, if not all, of our organizations tasked with looking out for us.  It can be very disheartening.

Perhaps, if I might give some unsolicited advise, you might want to start out by sending a copy of what you posted here to as many newsrooms as you can.  Then wait and see who responds.  I thought you expressed yourself very well.  I could feel your anger, disappointment and frustration, but you held yourself together very well in telling your story.  In the hands of a professional writer, you would be surprised at the outpouring of sympathy and help you will receive.

I searched Spectrum News Rochester Newsroom for this:   "Spectrum News Rochester.  If you see news or have a story idea, send us an email at assignment@ charter.com or give us a call at 1-(585) 756-2424.

#1514125 --- 04/12/18 02:55 PM Re: FLDDSO> People First? [Re: Deepblue5562]
Deepblue5562 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Thank you for your interest and advice. I did copy and paste this into a communication with ch 10 news out of Rochester.