FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1514037 --- 04/07/18 01:21 PM City Manager Search Committee
justacitizen Offline

Has anyone seen the list of those on the search committee? I did today and I am shocked and dismayed. First of all because the former City Manager Horn is one of those on the committee. Then take at look at the majority (NOT ALL) of the rest of the committee. They are the Geneva ELITE!!!!! Why aren't young people on the committee? What is wrong with our City Council?!?!?!?!?!?

FingerLakes1.com
#1514039 --- 04/07/18 03:43 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
Tacitus Offline

It would be helpful if you could tell the rest of us who is on the search committee.

#1514044 --- 04/08/18 12:28 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
imforchrist Offline

Loc: Geneva
Can't give an opinion no details or links of the individuals on the committee.

#1514047 --- 04/08/18 07:26 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: imforchrist]
justacitizen Offline

City Manager Search Committee:

Matt Horn - Former Geneva City Manager
Nick Massa - President, Massa Construction
Tom Kime - Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Lyons National Bank
Rob Sollenne - Chief Financial Officer, USNY Bank; Vice Chair, Geneva LDC
Dave Linger - Chairman, Geneva LDC and President, Geneva BID
Anne Nenneau - Vice Chair, Geneva IDA
Mike Manikowski - Director, Ontario County Office of Economic Development
Andy Tyman - CEO, Geneva Housing Authority
Trina Newton - Superintendent, Geneva City School District
Robb Flowers - Vice President of Student Affairs, Hobart William Smith
Lara Turbide - Director of Community Services, Finger Lakes Health
Michele Barrett - Chair, Geneva Human Rights Commission
Rev. Donald Golden - Pastor, Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church
Tony DiCostanzo - Former Geneva City Councilor and Planning Board member
Pat Guard - Former co-owner "Guard's Cards"
Lucile Mallard - President, Geneva NAACP
Chris Lavin - Executive Director, Geneva Boys & Girls Club and Community Center
Victor Nelson - Secretary, African-American Menís Association

#1514056 --- 04/08/18 03:48 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
Originally Posted By: justacitizen
Has anyone seen the list of those on the search committee? I did today and I am shocked and dismayed. First of all because the former City Manager Horn is one of those on the committee. Then take at look at the majority (NOT ALL) of the rest of the committee. They are the Geneva ELITE!!!!! Why aren't young people on the committee? What is wrong with our City Council?!?!?!?!?!?

What you mean by "young people"? I looked at this list and why can't the former City Manager be on this list? He wasn't fired, he gave notice and handed in his resignation. Geneva elite always gets me. What is that about? I see names of folks that have stepped up and participated on many boards and charitable events, community organizations but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

What "young" people would you recommend? Remember, no one over 30 cause you can't trust them..... Am I dating myself?

I went through that list and found what I consider "young people" on it:

Anne Nenneau- VC Geneva IDA
Dave Linger - Geneva LDC, Geneva BID.
Robb Flowers- VP of Student Affairs
Lara Turbide - FL Health
Chris Lavin - Director, Boys & Girls Club

I'm sure there are others but I see "young" as being someone showing a "young" attitude towards seeing our community improve.

Edited by pingu (04/08/18 03:56 PM)

#1514061 --- 04/08/18 07:36 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
imforchrist Offline

These people are all honorable people. In fact, if you don't know at least one of these people it's your fault that your not involved in city issues. I would think the pastor of Mt Olive Church would speak for many in the Christian community, Lucille Mallard knows a ton of Genevans, Chris Lavin works with young people everyday, you don't think the school district, HWS and the hospital should have representation? Dave Linger is heavily invested in a renaissance in downtown Geneva what's wrong with him being on it?

Let's not discount people because they happen to be financial stable. It doesn't equate to lacking empathy for the disadvantaged, assuming they have no contact with diverse populations, and they only care about themselves. I'm curious who would you have on the committee?

#1514062 --- 04/08/18 08:15 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: pingu]
IHHSG Offline

Loc: 14456
Originally Posted By: pingu
Originally Posted By: justacitizen

What you mean by "young people"? I looked at this list and why can't the former City Manager be on this list? He wasn't fired, he gave notice and handed in his resignation. Geneva elite always gets me. What is that about? I see names of folks that have stepped up and participated on many boards and charitable events, community organizations but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

What "young" people would you recommend? Remember, no one over 30 cause you can't trust them..... Am I dating myself?

I went through that list and found what I consider "young people" on it:

Anne Nenneau- VC Geneva IDA
Dave Linger - Geneva LDC, Geneva BID.
Robb Flowers- VP of Student Affairs
Lara Turbide - FL Health
Chris Lavin - Director, Boys & Girls Club

I'm sure there are others but I see "young" as being someone showing a "young" attitude towards seeing our community improve.

The people on your list are 68, 59, 56, 49 and 48. These people are not young by any reasonable definition of the word.

The definition of "young" isn't "showing a young attitude towards seeing our community improve." What does that even mean?

#1514064 --- 04/09/18 04:48 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
Tacitus Offline

I have to agree with Pingu and Inforchrist - this is a Who's-Who list of committed Geneva citizens. Perhaps you should name some "young" people and their previous experience on boards or civic institutions? Oh, and their willingness to attend numerous meetings at the expense of their free time?

#1514065 --- 04/09/18 07:31 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
ruby2 Offline

Are you an Ageist?† What's so special about young people, aside from the fact that they enjoy the gifts of youth?† Those gifts do not include gifts which take time to develop like wisdom, experience, character.

What kind of young person should we be looking for, a young person with college degree or not, maybe just high school grad, working or not, what race, what sex, what about sexual orientation.† How young should we go, and why not younger.† Young people are generally not put on committes because, well because, they generally lack life experience, are untested by life, are still discovering, experiencing and forming opinions.† Young people are good for a lot of things like new discoveries in science for instance, but not for contemplating and implementing broad strategies over long periods of time.† Soldiers are young, generals are old.† There's a reason for that.† What's wrong with the mature, diverse, experienced group of citizens chosen to be on the search committee?†† Choosing for age in this instance doesn't make sense.

Have I hurt your feelings or made you feel uncomfortable?† Find a safe place and take a time out.

#1514066 --- 04/09/18 08:40 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
764379255223 Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Even though young people (18-30) may not have the knowledge to implement ideas they could offer those ideas and others may know how to implement or some form of that. Keeping young people home is essential to a revived Geneva

#1514067 --- 04/09/18 11:35 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
ruby2 Offline

How about this.† Young people form a committee of their own, come up with some agreed upon ideas thru that process, and then respectfully submit those ideas to the old people's committee for their consideration.† I suggest you present your ideas in writing.

But remember, the old people on the committee are dealing with an ever expanding list of diversity considerations.† Their goal is inclusiveness, I would imagine, but hopefully not to the point of insanity.† Young people are important to old people, just about everybody has one, or knows one, all across the spectrum of humanity.† You matter.† Now wipe away those tears and get out there and form that young people committee. I can assure you it will be given consideration if presented in the right way.

#1514068 --- 04/09/18 02:07 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: ruby2]
IHHSG Offline

Originally Posted By: ruby2
How about this.† Young people form a committee of their own, come up with some agreed upon ideas thru that process, and then respectfully submit those ideas to the old people's committee for their consideration.† I suggest you present your ideas in writing.

But remember, the old people on the committee are dealing with an ever expanding list of diversity considerations.† Their goal is inclusiveness, I would imagine, but hopefully not to the point of insanity.† Young people are important to old people, just about everybody has one, or knows one, all across the spectrum of humanity.† You matter.† Now wipe away those tears and get out there and form that young people committee. I can assure you it will be given consideration if presented in the right way.

How about this?

The City of Geneva tells the public that they are selecting the committee that will make a decision that will have a major impact on the city for years to come. They provide updates and ask for suggestions from the taxpayers, and they decide who's on the committee openly with public input.

Instead, they didn't tell anyone anything, didn't ask the public for input, nothing. The only reason the list is public is because of a blogger.

It's not that the people on the list aren't "honorable" or nice people or involved in different thing or whatever...but there are quite a few people on that list who stand to make a whole lot of money IF they have the right city manager in place.

There needs to be new ideas and new people making the big decisions for the city. The people who have been running the show for so long (most of them over 50) are the ones who are 100% to blame for the high taxes, which is causing people (including many seniors) to move away or choose other places to live, the high poverty rate which grew continuously during Horn's tenure even while people were raving about his accomplishments.

This list is the same old, same old people, who have indirectly done a lot of damage to this city with the policies that they push for, many of whom enriched themselves in the process. The city's financial situation has been known to be literally unsustainable for years, and city council has done nothing to address it.

Asking sarcastic questions about 'diversity' or 'young people' doesn't take away from the fact that the city handled this whole thing terribly, especially considering how much flack they've taken in the past couple of years for not being open and transparent.

#1514071 --- 04/09/18 10:44 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
ruby2 Offline

IHHSG, I was addressing the question "why aren't young people on the committee" which seemed to be the point of this thread.† Your beat-down on the city has nothing to do with me or my response to the person who started this thread.† Don't lay your game on me, talking about committee members lining their own pockets and running the city into the ground, etc.† You obviously have a major gripe against the city that I don't share.† Leave me out of it.

#1514085 --- 04/10/18 07:38 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: ruby2]
IHHSG Offline

IHHSG, I was addressing the question "why aren't young people on the committee" which seemed to be the point of this thread.† Your beat-down on the city has nothing to do with me or my response to the person who started this thread.† Don't lay your game on me, talking about committee members lining their own pockets and running the city into the ground, etc.† You obviously have a major gripe against the city that I don't share.† Leave me out of it.

The person who started this thread referenced the "Geneva elite" as well as the lack of younger representation, so my response was entirely appropriate.

Your comments about young people not having the life experience to make important decisions about the future of our city were condescending and not helpful to the discussion. Plus you were extremely sarcastic about young people needing a "safe place" and a "time out."

I responded directly to you, and gave an explanation, while also referencing another issue brought up by the original poster.

Your response is to tell me to "leave you out of it."

You're already in it, rube.

#1514088 --- 04/10/18 01:34 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: IHHSG]
ruby2 Offline

In an attempt to insult me, you chose the word "rube" which is an antiquated, elitist insult meant to disparage country, or rural, people.† Geneva is a town in the country, country people live in and around Geneva.† We are surrounded by farms and farmers and all sorts of country people doing their country thing.

Who's the elitist here, the members of the committee or you?† If I may, I would like to quote a passage from the Bible here: " Thou hypocrite, first cast the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother's eye."† The "rubes" who live in and around Geneva might appreciate the irony of your rant on elitists, I certainly do.

Shame on you -- go to your corner and stay there until you apologize to all those nice, hard working rubes you're looking to bend to your way of thinking.† Name calling, IHHSG, really, I was hoping you were more grown up than that.

#1514090 --- 04/10/18 02:30 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: ruby2]
IHHSG Offline

<!-- -->
In an attempt to insult me, you chose the word "rube" which is an antiquated, elitist insult meant to disparage country, or rural, people.† Geneva is a town in the country, country people live in and around Geneva.† We are surrounded by farms and farmers and all sorts of country people doing their country thing.

Who's the elitist here, the members of the committee or you?† If I may, I would like to quote a passage from the Bible here: " Thou hypocrite, first cast the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother's eye."† The "rubes" who live in and around Geneva might appreciate the irony of your rant on elitists, I certainly do.

Shame on you -- go to your corner and stay there until you apologize to all those nice, hard working rubes you're looking to bend to your way of thinking.† Name calling, IHHSG, really, I was hoping you were more grown up than that.

I wasn't trying to insult you. "Rube" is short for "ruby2."

But hey, don't let me stop you from steering the conversation away from the subject at hand.

In any case, I'm guessing you're not one of those down-to-earth, working class folks yourself...you seem pretty hellbent on demeaning and mocking anyone who questions why the committee is frontloaded with bankers and wealthy developers. Don't want anybody talking about that stuff, eh?

Sorry I don't have a Bible quote handy about greed.

#1514091 --- 04/10/18 08:57 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: IHHSG]
ruby2 Offline

You say the committee is "frontloaded with bankers and wealthy developers" what does that even mean?† The committee looks pretty balanced to me.† I see a broad representation from a number of different sectors and interests that far outnumber the bankers and developers.† That's all. I'm not at all, as you say, "hellbent on demeaning and mocking anyone who questions why the committee is frontloaded with bankers and wealthy developers," because it isn't.† It seems to be a well balanced committee.

Whether you like it or not you need banks and developers if you wish to move forward.† You seem to resent that they may be profiting from their endeavors. That's your problem.† Just because someone makes money, or has money, doesn't necessarily mean they are "greedy" as you say.

As to my having a little fun over young people, I plead guilty.† I was having fun at the expense of young people in general, my light satirical comments (sarcasm to you) were not directed toward any individual young person.† Each one, each young person, is precious and special -- like a snow flake!† ha ha ha!

#1514108 --- 04/12/18 06:39 AM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: ruby2]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
I look at the list and I don't see anyone, except for one, that has a "REAL JOB". The city spends too much time and effort pandering to special interest groups.
Looks more like a day care where the only thing that matters is to see that everybody gets along and plays nice.

#1514173 --- 04/17/18 06:41 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: justacitizen]
Travis Bickle Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
Just a couple of comments.
I think if you asked any of the people of the advisory committee list that they will tell you they did not lobby to be on this committee. They were asked to serve and because they care about Geneva they agreed to give their time.

Having several business people on the committee makes sense because the CM will be the chief executive of the city overseeing a 16 mil plus budget and 130 employees, so their business experience is helpful.

Regardless of the recommendations of the advisory committee on who they think are the top candidates for the job, the final decision rests with the city council. They can decide to completely reject the recommendations and go in a different direction.

Not sure whether or not the public will get an opportunity to weigh in on candidates in a formal way but anyone, regardless of age, can call or email their city councilor, mayor, or all nine of them, and tell them your opinion on this or any other matter. Citizens can attend a council meeting and speak your piece during Public Comment. Complaining about the selection process on a forum is akin to talking to a wall.

#1514178 --- 04/17/18 08:45 PM Re: City Manager Search Committee [Re: scwoodchuck]
imforchrist Offline

What are you talking about? They don't have real jobs? The superintendent of schools, a VP at Hobart, bankers, the CEO of the Housing Authority??? You can google search others Victor Nelson is Regional Membership Manager at New York State Hospitality and Tourism Association, Michele Barrett is a veterinarian, Anne Nenneau works at CCN International on Lehigh Street in Geneva, Dave Linger is a lawyer. I have absolutely no idea why you assume they don't have real jobs. Are you saying because there are no blue collar representation plumbers, electricians, highway workers? Are white collar jobs not real jobs? If you disagree with the folks on the committee that's fine but don't say such utter nonsense. It hurts your credibility when you give an opinion that is just plain wrong. Be nice!!