FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1513704 --- 03/16/18 10:34 AM CUT THE CORD
yipes Offline

Loc: NY
Has anyone in the village of Penn Yan discontinued their cable/satellite service & switch to an antenna for OTA(over the air) service for local channels? We are considering making the move & going to a streaming service to supplement the OTA, but would appreciate any feedback from others that use an antenna. What channels to you get? How good is the reception? What antenna are you using? Are you happy with the results,etc.? Thanks for the feedback.

FingerLakes1.com
#1513851 --- 03/27/18 11:33 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: yipes]
Mr. Good Offline

Loc: Central, NY
Yes, We cut the TV off about 3 months ago & couldn't be happier.
In fact, it's been a big relief!

I've found we can watch any news-channel in the world! livestreaming for free. So do so in the morning, there's weather channels, etc.

Netflix for movies at night, etc.

I've found since the change we watch far better quality programming!, are far more productive, & less frustrated with the 'PC' garbage programming coming out of hollywood & the FCC these days.
Best yet, no more: "Fake News"! smile

Great Idea & Best Regards!

#1513875 --- 03/29/18 07:40 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: Mr. Good]
Ringold Offline

Loc: Here and Now
so you can live stream the Rochester news channels in Penn Yan?

#1513876 --- 03/29/18 08:35 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: Mr. Good]
yipes Offline

Loc: NY
are you using an antenna? are you in the village?

#1513898 --- 03/30/18 08:40 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: yipes]
Mr. Good Offline

just search for 'news' & 'livestreaming', a map pops up & you can pick any city in the USA & watch the local news. In fact almost any city & the world! London, Miami, Paris, Los Angelas, Dallas, NYC, Rochester, Buffalo etc.
You can also use antenna & a converter box to get old fashioned TV channels. My neighbor put an antenna on his roof & gets channels in Syracuse & Rochester & even Canadian stations! However he does live on Italy Hill near the Blue Eagle so has an advantage,
Penn Yan is in a hollow, low elevation so will not get such a good reception. I just use the internet for TV & news, then Netflix for movies at night.
It's a big relief not to have that cable poisoning my & my children's minds & at least $40 per month savings! With my paycheck taxes I have to earn $80 to keep $40 so I'm really saving considerably. 'cutting he cord' was one of the best moves I've made this year.
Good luck!

#1513900 --- 03/30/18 09:16 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: yipes]
Mr. Good Offline

I'm planning on getting my old fashioned TV going again with the antenna, but first have to find that digital converter box which is stashed somewhere around here in the clutter...
Another plus is 'privacy'. We've learned recently all these 'smart' TVs & facebook' apps etc. are -watching us, as much as we watch them!
No thanks. I'm returning to 'old school' & have liked it better every step of the way! smile

#1513942 --- 04/02/18 05:31 PM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: yipes]
Ringold Offline

<!-- -->
Originally Posted By: yipes
are you using an antenna? are you in the village?
no antenna (yet) and yes in the village

#1513945 --- 04/02/18 05:36 PM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: Mr. Good]
Ringold Offline

Thanks Mr Good

#1514021 --- 04/06/18 08:39 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: Mr. Good]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mr. Good
You can also use antenna & a converter box to get old fashioned TV channels. My neighbor put an antenna on his roof & gets channels in Syracuse & Rochester & even Canadian stations! However he does live on Italy Hill near the Blue Eagle so has an advantage,

if he is your neighbor and you share a common property line then just run a cable line from his property to yours

use his antenna signal

make a monthly 'donation' to him for the use of the cable line grin

#1514207 --- 04/19/18 08:00 AM Re: CUT THE CORD [Re: yipes]
Mr. Good Offline

Thank you for the interesting suggestion! However
Friar Ockam's "Law of Parsimony" aka 'Occam's Razor' basically says the simplest answer is usually the correct one.
He lived around 900 AD so didn't understand much about antennas, but he would observe that: the shortest distance from my TV -is to my own antenna.
Much appreciation! smile