FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1513558 --- 03/09/18 09:13 AM Arming school personnel
764379255223 Offline

Loc: Ontario County
I think it is absolutely ridiculous to arm teachers, support personnel etc. In a lot of classes the student could easily overpower the teacher. Also in a live situation how would the police know who was the suspect if others were also showing a gun. Additionally it would drastically increase the chances that a student/school personnel would be injured by either ricochet bullets or crossfire. I understand the need for an SRO in each school and the fact they are there to engage with the student body in a good way BUT also in case of an emergency and to defuse a situation quickly that could get out of hand. Not sure what the answer is but I do not believe arming these people is the answer. I am also a proponent of the 2nd amendment BUT don't understand why a individual needs a AK or AR rifle.

FingerLakes1.com
#1513570 --- 03/09/18 06:24 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: 764379255223]
Sam the Sham Offline

Loc: USA
The Second Amendment, along with the other first ten Amendments to the Constitution, defines "rights," not "needs." You might as well argue Rosa Parks didn't "need" to sit in the front of the bus.

#1513573 --- 03/09/18 07:33 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
https://marchforourlives.com/

MARCH FOR OUR LIVES.

On March 24, the kids and families of March For Our Lives will take to the streets of Washington DC to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings in our schools today.

March with us in Washington DC or march in your own community. On March 24, the collective voices of the March For Our Lives movement will be heard.

JOIN ONE OF THE 585 EVENTS WORLDWIDE

#1513594 --- 03/10/18 01:36 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: 764379255223]
ruby2 Offline

I agree with you, 7643-etc, that arming teachers is a bad idea, it will only create more problems than it solves.† This problem, as I see it, is not so much about guns as it is about the kind of culture we are living in today. Hyper-violent, hyper-sexual, impersonal, disengaged,† yet obsessively engaged online.†

There is big money tied up in cable, tv, movies, internet, video games.† We need to examine the level and type of violence shown in video games, the violence on the internet, on cable† tv, the rude and angry way many people treat each other on a daily basis, the disengaged clerks, secretaries, doctors, police, teachers who we go to for information and help.† Unless you go "viral" on somebody or some thing you are ignored, not important, don't exist basically.† There are a lot of frustrated, lonely, and angry, people needing to connect on a flesh and blood level and only getting the brush off, anger, or blank stares.†

What about asking questions concerning the drugs these shooters have taken, or are taking.† I'm talking legal prescription drugs used to control and modulate behavior in children.† I'm very suspicious of the silence on this subject.† After all, hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake here for drug companies, big, big bucks.† And that goes for all the media platforms I mentioned earlier.

I'm saying , let's open up the discussion and explore all possible causes for what we are experiencing, not just limit it to guns.† Our children (and adults) are suffering.† I'm not surprised, are you?† There is no one solution.† It's very complex. More than just money interests, which are substantial, and a degrading media force which caters to base instincts and fosters addiction.† And, it's more than the drugs we're offered and don't question or refuse.. We all do play a part in it, a big part, that's why it's so complex, it's been shredding the fabric of our society for decades and we are now seeing the shocking results of our indifference towards, and disengagement from each other.† But to single out† guns and gun ownership will do absolutely nothing to stop what is happening to our children and to us.

#1513602 --- 03/11/18 12:12 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: ruby2]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Originally Posted By: ruby2
I agree with you, 7643-etc, that arming teachers is a bad idea, it will only create more problems than it solves.† This problem, as I see it, is not so much about guns as it is about the kind of culture we are living in today. Hyper-violent, hyper-sexual, impersonal, disengaged,† yet obsessively engaged online.†

There is big money tied up in cable, tv, movies, internet, video games.† We need to examine the level and type of violence shown in video games, the violence on the internet, on cable† tv, the rude and angry way many people treat each other on a daily basis, the disengaged clerks, secretaries, doctors, police, teachers who we go to for information and help.† Unless you go "viral" on somebody or some thing you are ignored, not important, don't exist basically.† There are a lot of frustrated, lonely, and angry, people needing to connect on a flesh and blood level and only getting the brush off, anger, or blank stares.†

What about asking questions concerning the drugs these shooters have taken, or are taking.† I'm talking legal prescription drugs used to control and modulate behavior in children.† I'm very suspicious of the silence on this subject.† After all, hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake here for drug companies, big, big bucks.† And that goes for all the media platforms I mentioned earlier.

I'm saying , let's open up the discussion and explore all possible causes for what we are experiencing, not just limit it to guns.† Our children (and adults) are suffering.† I'm not surprised, are you?† There is no one solution.† It's very complex. More than just money interests, which are substantial, and a degrading media force which caters to base instincts and fosters addiction.† And, it's more than the drugs we're offered and don't question or refuse.. We all do play a part in it, a big part, that's why it's so complex, it's been shredding the fabric of our society for decades and we are now seeing the shocking results of our indifference towards, and disengagement from each other.† But to single out† guns and gun ownership will do absolutely nothing to stop what is happening to our children and to us.

My 2 cents on the main topic: Put a Department of Homeland Security and TSA agent in each school.

As for the rest:
Lets point the finger of blame at something, then have a knee jerk reaction to try and quell anything from potentially happening. When the internet masses can't figure out why someone turned violent they blame a musician, video games, or what was watched on TV.

Want to explore problems at their core ask a kid about how bullies are dealt with at school or how many kids they know are bullied. Ask them how they feel responses to these issues are handled by the school and what they would like to see happen to make a better future. Demand better mental health services for people, because ignoring the problem will just make it fester.

Want to take it up a step, convince kids today that going to college or trade school will pay off if they get a degree in something useful. When you look at how many jobs will be minimum wage in the next few years and fast food workers will be making more than some certified skilled civil servant jobs tell me how that's right.

Look at who the current generation idolize, follow them for the next few years and you will see who will succeeded when they get older.

#1513607 --- 03/12/18 08:23 AM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: 764379255223]
ruby2 Offline

Dr D, I think your ideas about college and trade schools are good, and also better methods for dealing with bullying works for me, and I'm most definitely in favor of better mental health services.† So what's the problem?† We will still be growing up our children in a drug addled, violent, sex obsessed culture.

Your recommendation of putting a Homeland Security and TSA agent in each school is not workable.† Two more salaried employees in each school in the United States -- very costly.† And, there's a big difference between carrying a gun and using a gun against an armed and active shooter.† And what kind of weapon would these guards carry, an assault weapon.† It would make more sense to put armed and seasoned combat veterans in each school, which I do not --do not-- recommend not for a moment.† And, what does Transportation (TSA) have to do with schools?†

Armed guards in schools, then the action moves to churches, arm churches and the action moves to movie theatres, local sports events, YMCAs, Boys and Girls Clubs, the list of targets is endless as is the list of weapons used.† All I said was open up the discussion and that would include your suggestions.† Any and all ideas that will engage children, empower them, encourage them to grow into strong, robust, confident men and women who possess good character.† The internet and all of media should play a minor role in a child's life, mainly for educational purposes.†

Armed guards all over in public places, while at the same time a movement going on to disarm citizens smells bad to me.† It disempowers citizens, while at the same time increasing govt power and control.† Follow the money on this one as usual.

#1513611 --- 03/12/18 11:07 AM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: ruby2]
DR. D Offline

Originally Posted By: ruby2

We will still be growing up our children in a drug addled, violent, sex obsessed culture.

All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from.

#1513615 --- 03/12/18 12:22 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: DR. D]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
One of those very sensitive and complicated topic that one feel almost entrapped when responding. The seven sins are inherent at birth but one is taught to constrain and condition oneself toward self discipline, otherwise we have total corruption and chaos. Look at the current WH administration, a man with no morality or self control, what are the end results thereof? When I attended school, our house possessed 3 shotguns and my aspiration was to get my hunting permit and legally take said gun(s) on an expedition of small game, never did it enter my mind to take a gun and shoot my parents or enter a school to massacre classmates or teachers because I was angry. Our culture now reveals one of self indulgence that states that "You can't tell me what to do" because the law says so. Legalized drugs, alcohol, showing partiality toward one group while demonizing the other etc. through laws that discriminate. Our generational hatred,corruption, racism, bigotry, lies etc. have boiled over to the extent of a new generation with no ability to know right from wrong and search one's soul and heart as to the impact and repercussion it will have on you or those around you when you have no ability to subject your mind to God and what's morally acceptable. Tell us how it is possible to interpret the Constitution as such that one can own a gun(s) for the sake of protecting the militia but others must comply to a set of additional laws affording gun to only those deemed entitled? Therein lies one of our demons that is learned very proficiently from our children. Make up your own set of rules and follow them.

#1513616 --- 03/12/18 12:43 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: Formermac]
DR. D Offline

Just Wow, and wow... agreed 100%

#1513617 --- 03/12/18 01:01 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: DR. D]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
An blatant and obvious example, we have a few here on the forum who deem it acceptable and normalized to submit text, cartoons and memes we once thought to be adolescent and childish once one reaches the age of adulthood......well...we are getting younger as they say, acting 16 years of age is the new 60. So what is the expectation for our newest generation?

#1513639 --- 03/13/18 03:30 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: DR. D]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY
Encouraging Manhood Prevents Shootings
Josh Goldstein

The only thing that stops a bad coward with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

But no, our society has been so conditioned by the lily leftists to say that we should not have weapons at the ready in our schools, in care facilities, our military bases (still cannot figure that one out) and especially around women. In fact, they have said that any aggression on the part of males is wrong. By extension male means gun.

The left has made much of our collective society afraid of guns while they go around with their security details. You think the anti-gun people will give up their security details? About as much of a chance that they will stop late-term abortions.

When I was growing up there were shooting clubs in school. Think about that. We had guns in schools growing up, and my parents had the Bible in schools, and there were no shootings by loner students, even those who had been bullied.

You know what else was encouraged in schools back then? Men being men and, if necessary, fighting it out and then dropping the issue.

Men didnít feel the need to shoot each other up. In the old school we fought it out on the playground and afterward you became friends.The Army understood this once as this very funny and true video points out (spoiler, some language may offend someone).

Society as a whole got that too. Men got their aggressions out on each other back in the day and then it was over. Often, they became good friends afterward. Even schools understood this. Donít believe me? Check this out from a family show that was actually considered quite liberal back in the day.

Now because of zero tolerance even if a child is defending himself in a fight they will be suspended from school. Forget about gun clubs.

Theodore Rooseveltís father understood masculinity when young Teddy was growing up. Rooseveltís dad told his son that he had the mind but not the body. Today if a man says that to his son perhaps he will be arrested for emotional abuse or exploitation. At the very least bring social services over. But Theodore Roosevelt became a strong man. He was a great warrior and hunter, yet also had a bear cub named after him and won the Nobel Peace Prize when it meant something. He did not allow society to dictate his weaknesses to him. Instead, he had a father who encouraged him and was not afraid to do so.

We have allowed the lily leftists to say that all aggression, and by extension manhood, is wrong while also allowing them to disarm the most vulnerable, the women. We also have Hollywood, who also loves their security details, to turn women into objects instead of examples of grace, femininity, and motherhood.

The left applies band aids to problems of society because they are interested, like their Marxists brothers they are drawing ever closer to, in political power. They say, ďGo through the citizens police academy, take karate, get a dog.Ē They never encourage the most vulnerable to get the one thing that is guaranteed to stop an evil person with a gun; a gun. But the powerful will never give up their guns.

The powerful are so obsessed with guns and power that only one conclusion can be drawn; they hate their women almost as much as they hate manhood. Itís time to bring back real manhood and protect the ladies.

#1513732 --- 03/17/18 07:18 PM Re: Arming school personnel [Re: 764379255223]
DeReRustica Offline

Loc: Boondox, Seneca Co.
Thanks cwjga for showing that the social strictures that motivate the 1848 convention in Seneca Falls are still alive and well.