FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1512518 --- 01/18/18 06:25 AM More political posturing by the Democrats
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
So the Democrats want the Ontario County Board of Supervisors to oppose the trash incinerator at the depot. They said they will do more research and come up with a resolution. Best part is they think a Hobart professor is an expert on this issue. So far it looks like they are getting their information from none other than the Finger Lakes Times. People have to wake up and realize that they are being mislead by paid political activists. Seneca Guardian is a Water Keepers affiliate and Water keepers is an environmental non profit that pays activists and supports Democrats. Paid political activists disguised as environmentalists are leading you astray.

FingerLakes1.com
#1512525 --- 01/18/18 10:35 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Like this issue doesn't cut both ways!? The story was released yesterday: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/17/business/rick-perry-energy-photographer.html

#1512527 --- 01/18/18 11:58 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: FLaker]
scwoodchuck Offline

Like all political issues it does cut both ways but some people realize most of it is some kind of swindle. Just remember who is trying to pull a fast one next time they're up for re-election

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/18/18 11:59 AM)

#1512533 --- 01/18/18 12:44 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Political maneuvering is NOT the same thing as "swindling". Nor, for that matter, do all such maneuvers equate.

#1512545 --- 01/18/18 02:01 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
Tacitus Offline

Would it be possible to steer this discussion in the direction of the incinerator issue? SC, are you in favor of the incinerator project?

#1512547 --- 01/18/18 04:26 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: Tacitus]
scwoodchuck Offline

Actually I am against anything and everything coming to the Finger Lakes then maybe we can have an election on the REAL issues not some fabricated witch hunt.

#1512548 --- 01/18/18 04:31 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: Timbo]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

Political maneuvering is NOT the same thing as "swindling". Nor, for that matter, do all such maneuvers equate.
Then you should vote for me because I will do away with both death and taxes, and I will make it summer all year long. crazy

#1512549 --- 01/18/18 04:48 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

I don't know... Death defines us, taxes are inevitable and I FAR prefer winter.

#1512561 --- 01/19/18 09:12 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Why is Seneca County such an attractive location for the trash industry? It seems like there are plenty of locations closer to NYC that would substantially reduce the shipping expenses associated with getting the trash up here.

#1512562 --- 01/19/18 10:06 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: FLaker]
scwoodchuck Offline

Crooked politicians of the 70s and 80s. However it's the crooked politicians of today that make it such a undesirable issue today. A $100.00 steak in New York City yesterday is toxic waste today. The stuff that you put down your kitchen sink drain everyday goes into the lakes and nobody thinks anything of it, but in a landfill it's threatening the health of our children. Total braiń washing of the masses for political purposes.

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/19/18 10:18 AM)

#1512577 --- 01/19/18 04:17 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
Tacitus Offline

I think if you look at the chemical analysis of the leachate in landfills you'll see that a lot more than $100 steaks is being dumped. There is zero control over the hazardous materials being sent, and there is no capability in the municipal waste handing systems to neutralize these hazardous chemicals when the leachate is presented for "treatment" - all we can do is dilute them using the lake, probably not a great long-term plan, that's why City Council declined to process more leachate. So now it goes elsewhere, not much of a global solution.

I agree with Flaker - if this is such a great program, why not put it in NYC? Or right next to one of their reservoirs? It's safe, right?

#1512578 --- 01/19/18 08:03 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: Tacitus]
scwoodchuck Offline

I suggest you take a look at the Water Quality report for Geneva's water, but don't look at Finger Lakes Institute's report on water quality of Seneca Lake. It might scare you.

http://www.senecameadows.com/current.php

Reverse Osmosis Purifies Leachate

Leachate Before & After

It’s pretty black and white: the effect of reverse osmosis on leachate, that is. The process involves high pressure filtration, which moves the leachate through multiple, semi-permeable membranes to remove more than 99 percent of contaminants. The results are as clear as the purified leachate, and exactly what we were hoping for when we installed our new reverse osmosis treatment system at our landfill site this fall.

For those of you who are new to our website, a bit of explanation may be in order. Leachate is rainwater that has contacted waste. In a landfill, the rainwater trickles down through the waste and is captured at the bottom by the liner system, and pumped out for treatment.

#1512579 --- 01/19/18 08:20 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: Tacitus]
scwoodchuck Offline

So a person buys a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner, some real nasty stuff, and dumps the entire bottle in said toilet. Where does that end up and what type of control is placed on what goes down the toilet ?

What about this stuff ?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tide-pod-challenge-ingesting-detergent-risks/
"Ingredients in the pods include ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and polymers – a highly-toxic mix of detergent meant to wipe out dirt and grime. Manufacturers have been concerned about toddlers mistakenly ingesting them, but now teens are popping them on purpose and posting videos of the results online, reports CBS News correspondent Anna Werner."

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/19/18 08:25 PM)

#1512590 --- 01/20/18 07:49 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
What is most amusing to me is that the Democratic Supervisors are quoted in the paper saying they are concerned that the toxic emissions and leachate might get in to Seneca Lake. Then say they need to do more research. Why didn't they do the research before they started talking about toxic emissions like dioxins and heavy metals ? If people would get their information from reliable sources they would have found that the modern technology reduces or eliminates dioxins and heavy metals. The leachate from handling the waste is collected and can't possibly get out of the facility. More fear mongering from the left as usual. The EPA claims that these modern incinerators are NOT a threat to public health or the environment.

#1512616 --- 01/21/18 06:12 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: Hello_Governer]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
The EPA claims that these modern incinerators are NOT a threat to public health or the environment.

locate one in NYC inside central park

no more trucking the trash this way

#1512622 --- 01/21/18 08:58 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: bluezone]
scwoodchuck Offline

There are 8 in the New York city area.

#1512624 --- 01/21/18 11:30 AM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
ruby2 Offline

Speaking for myself, I just don't want trash or trashy buildings or lake polluting developments on or around the lake.  All the talk about how safe new technology is and EPA assurances is not taken seriously any longer.  i can see and smell what past promises have brought forth, when what was new, and promising then, has now become old and even more damaging than in the past.

Im tired to waiting for the next best thing to come along.  i want our environment back now.  I want clean water, air, food, and an environment where humans, and creatures other than human, can thrive.

Garbage is a huge major problem.  It must be discussed and dealt with, but people in this region who have been dumped on in the past are now saying no in increasing numbers.  I don't have an answer to the problem.  I'd like to shoot it toward the sun and let it be consumed there, but that's not possible.  Put it elsewhere, we've done our part.  We need a rest from it, call it a long recovery period. Leave us alone, put the garbage near a gated community or a golf course, country club.  --that's how I feel about the matter for what it's worth.

#1512625 --- 01/21/18 01:07 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: ruby2]
scwoodchuck Offline

Sorry to rain on your parade but the only solution to pollution is no people. The only real problem with trash is how you perceive it. Man has left a mess everywhere he's been since the beginning. Maybe you should go to a planet where there is no life because all life forms create waste. The earth then recycles the waste to create or support more life. Maybe you should just get used to the natural cycle of life.

This leads me to ask, did you ever have kids ? And what happens when you feed your kids ? The result is perfectly natural but somehow the results from feeding billions of people is such a terrible thing.

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/21/18 01:28 PM)

#1512626 --- 01/21/18 02:07 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: scwoodchuck]
ruby2 Offline

scwoodchuck, you took what I said and extended it into the realm of the absurd which exists solely in your own mind, not mine. 

P.s. do I need to have had children to know what happens when they are fed?

Foolish man you are!

#1512628 --- 01/21/18 07:31 PM Re: More political posturing by the Democrats [Re: ruby2]
scwoodchuck Offline

You are the one who is absurd, I'm being realistic crazy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >