FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1510518 --- 12/08/17 01:47 PM Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Town of Waterloo – Board Oversight (2017M-110)
Released: December 1, 2017 -- (read complete report - pdf)

Purpose of Audit

• The purpose of our audit was to determine if the Board provided adequate oversight of the Town’s financial affairs for the period January 1, 2015 through November 3, 2016.

Background

• The Town of Waterloo is located in Seneca County and has a population of approximately 7,500. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for all Town funds were approximately $2.4 million for 2016.

Key Findings

• The Board has not established adequate policies and procedures governing separation payments.
    Separation payments totaling $50,128 were paid from an “Employee Benefit Reserve” in 2016, which was not appropriately established.
    The Board did not establish policies and procedures governing the financial operations of the water and sewer districts.
    The Board did not enter into intermunicipal agreements with the Village of Waterloo for water and sewer services provided to the Town.

Key Recommendations

• Develop and adopt written procedures to govern separation payments.
    Ensure that reserves are established according to statute and that only authorized payments are made from reserves.
    Establish written policies and procedures over water and sewer financial operations.
    Ensure written intermunicipal agreements are entered into with any municipality for which services are to be provided or shared.

Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: localgov@osc.state.ny.us
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236

FingerLakes1.com
#1510532 --- 12/08/17 10:37 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: newsman38]
hearallseeall Offline

Loc: nolongerunder10pilesoftrash
Everybody in Seneca Falls needs to call the Local Government and School Accountability office.

Any government that depends on building their budget off of a host agreement needs a serious look. Especially when you're talking about $50/month or only 12/week as one board member claims. That's over 600 a year. That's worth a serious look.

#1510539 --- 12/09/17 05:59 AM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: hearallseeall]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Everyone in Seneca Falls will have to cut down on their alcohol consumption :-) The current town board has to fix everything that has been neglected for decades. When water mains BURST and the water can't flow it has to be fixed unless you want to buy bottled water flush your toilet with. I know, just go down to the canal and get your water in a bucket. Get dog sleds when the roads can't be plowed and burn your own trash in a barrel like we did in the 50s. Ever heard if a mitten ? That's what a hole in the backyard to bury trash was called. You might want to live in the stone age but I don't think everybody does.

#1510540 --- 12/09/17 06:06 AM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: hearallseeall]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: hearallseeall
Everybody in Seneca Falls needs to call the Local Government and School Accountability office.

Any government that depends on building their budget off of a host agreement needs a serious look. Especially when you're talking about $50/month or only 12/week as one board member claims. That's over 600 a year. That's worth a serious look.
DUH, host agreement money wasn't used in the budget that's why they raised taxes. Now they can use the host agreement money to fix stuff with and that will reduce taxes later. Are you the one in charge of your household budget ? I know an 8 year old who is smarter with money than you are !

#1510543 --- 12/09/17 11:07 AM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: scwoodchuck]
Wolf King Offline

Loc: The Forest
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Everyone in Seneca Falls will have to cut down on their alcohol consumption :-) The current town board has to fix everything that has been neglected for decades. When water mains BURST and the water can't flow it has to be fixed unless you want to buy bottled water flush your toilet with. I know, just go down to the canal and get your water in a bucket. Get dog sleds when the roads can't be plowed and burn your own trash in a barrel like we did in the 50s. Ever heard if a mitten ? That's what a hole in the backyard to bury trash was called. You might want to live in the stone age but I don't think everybody does.

Why are you creating so much garbage? You could try living like a human being and not creating a trail of filth behind you everywhere you go. Learn to recycle. Learn to compost food scraps. Don't buy disposable, once-use anything. It's not hard, but you have to stop acting like a total slob.

#1510577 --- 12/09/17 09:11 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: Wolf King]
scwoodchuck Offline

You have totally lost it !

#1510578 --- 12/09/17 09:13 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: newsman38]
Wolf King Offline

Or, I've just progressed beyond your selfish, out-dated, "It's all about the money" mindset.

#1510620 --- 12/10/17 05:51 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: Wolf King]
scwoodchuck Offline

OK, just give me all your money if you hate it so much.

#1510626 --- 12/10/17 09:25 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: scwoodchuck]
Wolf King Offline

Get a job.

#1510631 --- 12/11/17 05:56 AM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: Wolf King]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Wolf King

Get a job.
Are you hiring at the winery? Got something a 97 year old in a wheelchair can do ? I mean all you seem to be able to do is run your mouth. Maybe I could be your assistant. wink

#1510735 --- 12/12/17 03:46 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: newsman38]
Wolf King Offline

You literally LIVE on these forums, every second of every day (except when your rambling incoherently at local board meetings) yet I'M the one who runs my mouth. Time to consider assisted living.

#1510783 --- 12/13/17 12:02 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: scwoodchuck]
hearallseeall Offline

Originally Posted By: hearallseeall

DUH, host agreement money wasn't used in the budget that's why they raised taxes. Now they can use the host agreement money to fix stuff with and that will reduce taxes later. Are you the one in charge of your household budget ? I know an 8 year old who is smarter with money than you are !

You really need to chat with your mental health professional because you are nuts.

Where was the host agreement money used then because they should have millions in a reserve fund if it wasn't used.

Can't wait to hear your answer.

#1510786 --- 12/13/17 12:45 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: newsman38]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
It was used to fund the annual budget of the town. There was a time when a town resident paid -0- tax. Then the village dissolved, and the cost of that was spread to all residents, including those that did not live in the village.

As for having millions saved, a municipality cannot do that and still tax its residents. Unless the funds are appropriated for a project that will take more time than the calendar year to complete.

#1510790 --- 12/13/17 01:32 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: Top Dog]
hearallseeall Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
It was used to fund the annual budget of the town. There was a time when a town resident paid -0- tax. Then the village dissolved, and the cost of that was spread to all residents, including those that did not live in the village.

As for having millions saved, a municipality cannot do that and still tax its residents. Unless the funds are appropriated for a project that will take more time than the calendar year to complete.

Thank you for confirming that.

Let's watch woodchuck tell us that we are both wrong and the host agreement wasn't used in the budget.

Woodchuck loses more credibility every time he posts. It's hard to take these trash pickers seriously.

#1510797 --- 12/13/17 03:45 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: hearallseeall]
scwoodchuck Offline

You are wrong, this thread is about WATERLOO. BUT keep going seeing as how you are so brilliant and can't figure out which town is being talked about.

#1510798 --- 12/13/17 03:50 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: newsman38]
Top Dog Offline

I'm only going back to what was being discussed today. The discussion prior to that was hardly about either town.

Like threads don't stray from the subject around here.

Any discussion of a "host agreement" is a Seneca Falls discussion. Not Waterloo.

#1510799 --- 12/13/17 04:18 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

You're slipping, the very first post is about a Waterloo audit and I was responding to hear all see all. Besides landfill money wasn't used in the SF budget for 2018 hear all doesn't seem to be able to grasp that.

Edited by scwoodchuck (12/13/17 04:28 PM)

#1510820 --- 12/13/17 08:12 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

Somewhere around "get a job" this thing went off the rails.

Host agreement is Seneca Falls. I didn't bring that up. Just joined in.

#1510822 --- 12/13/17 09:12 PM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: scwoodchuck]
hearallseeall Offline

You're slipping, the very first post is about a Waterloo audit and I was responding to hear all see all. Besides landfill money wasn't used in the SF budget for 2018 hear all doesn't seem to be able to grasp that.

I know you have a hard time following along so I'll explain it to you.

I responded by saying that residents of SF need to contact the Local Government and School Accountability via:

Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: localgov@osc.state.ny.us
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236

because the audit says Waterloo has inadequate oversight of the Town's financial affairs.

Now, follow along because this is where you got lost. If the comptrollers office is saying Waterloo has inadequate oversight over their budget, what position does that put SF in.

PRIOR TO 2018 SF depended on trash cash to make ends meet. Now that they are not including it in the budget, they are saying they need to raise taxes by $50 a month. This would make SF higher than towns that do not depend on trash cash. If they are not factoring in the trash cash (host agreement cash) the taxes should be it least the same as other communities, not higher. The taxes should have been extremely lower when factoring in the trash cash.

Taxes should not have to go up over $600 per year!!

Do you get it now?

The residents of SF should demand that the comptroller look at their finances to see where this money is going and how/where it is being wasted due to inadequate oversight of their financial affairs.

DO you get it now? ?

Have you been drinking too much leachate????
Have you been sniffing too much CO???

#1510836 --- 12/14/17 07:48 AM Re: Inadequate Oversight of Waterloo Town Financial Affairs: Audit [Re: hearallseeall]
scwoodchuck Offline

DUH,that's why I posted a link to the comptroller's list of town's and their tax rates." Lyons-around $19.00 per thousand" Waterloo town and village added together- about $22.50/$1000". Village of Waterloo-$18 and change per $1000. Then I stated that Seneca Falls dissolved the village but didn't dissolve the expense of running the village so you CAN'T compare Seneca Falls to other towns. Waterloo also has host agreement with the landfill !!!!!!!!!! And yes Waterloo _______ away the money on needless projects and equipment.
HERE IT IS AGAIN
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/central-ny...istrict_in.html

Compare property tax rates in every city, town, village, county, school district in New York state

Updated on July 28, 2016 at 8:14 AM Posted on July 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Unlike you, I don't post OFF TOPIC, NEEDLESS LINKS to something that doesn't pertain to the discussion crazy

Edited by scwoodchuck (12/14/17 08:09 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >