FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1510750 --- 12/12/17 07:26 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: gassy one]
Wolf King Offline

Loc: The Forest
"Left wing propaganda" is code for "Beyond my education level", apparently.

FingerLakes1.com
#1510751 --- 12/12/17 07:27 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: FLHTCUI-XL1200R]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Everybody knows that being GREEN ain't cheap. grin

Originally Posted By: FLHTCUI-XL1200R

#1510752 --- 12/12/17 07:31 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: Wolf King]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Wolf King
If it ain't the anti-capitalist. Hey, you said you are self employed, so why is it you are the only one entitled to make a profit ?

#1510765 --- 12/13/17 08:02 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: scwoodchuck]
hearallseeall Offline

Loc: nolongerunder10pilesoftrash
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Originally Posted By: hearallseeall
All you need to do is look at the one in Syracuse. If this were such a great thing, the city would want to remain in control of this 'gold mine.'

Instead, they were talking about shutting it down because it is under utilized. Why build another one if you have one an hour away that isn't taking in enough trash.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2...id_trash_b.html
Ever heard of flow control ? They don't take out of county trash because of people like you. If they did take outside trash they would make a profit. But you haters of capitalism don't want anyone to make profits. That Michael Shank guy in your link needs to take a chemistry class, CO2, Co and NO are not toxic !

Ok smart guy. Hook a hose to the exhaust of the nursing home van while it's running and into your room. Then tell me how carbon monoxide is not poisonous.

First you say you'd drink leachate water and now this. You lose more credibility every time you post.

You better stick to playing bingo and watching tv while drooling on yourself. This is adult conversation.

#1510766 --- 12/13/17 08:18 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: scwoodchuck]
hearallseeall Offline

Originally Posted By: Wolf King
If it ain't the anti-capitalist. Hey, you said you are self employed, so why is it you are the only one entitled to make a profit ?

Because when you make a whole region suffer with trash trucks, trash smells, and mountain trash views you lose the privilege of making money.

Have some respect for the community instead of dumping on it. The big wigs of the landfull sit back on their 100 acre plush properties far away from the problems they create.

#1510769 --- 12/13/17 09:14 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
What is green about a trash incinerator? Despite the claim that it is "renewable," trash incinerators are NOT included in NYS renewable energy definition.

Everybody knows that being GREEN ain't cheap. grin

Originally Posted By: FLHTCUI-XL1200R

#1510776 --- 12/13/17 11:12 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: Timbo]
hearallseeall Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo
" I AM NOT ON ANYBODY'S SIDE."

"I just happen to have the DEC,EPA, FLORIDA UNIVERSITY,MIT,RIT,SU,MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY,NEW YORK STATE HEALTH DEPARTMENT,and many more on my side."

Schizophrenic much?

Can't make this stuff up, folks.
crazy crazy crazy

Hahaha. This is classic.

We all know what 'side' he is on. Woodcuck and his 2 trash buddies have trash fetishes/obsessions.

#1510778 --- 12/13/17 11:42 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Timbo

... and your point?
I can google too, that's my point. You see most arguments on these forums are pure left wing propaganda that can be challenged with the click of a mouse. Besides it's really funny when you don't read something in its entirety and post it like you are an authority, then I use your information to prove you wrong.

It's called "fact-checking". You really should try it some time.

I'm simply dying to be enlightened... so go ahead, entertain us all with even a single example of you proving ANYTHING, much less "proving me wrong".
crazy

#1510780 --- 12/13/17 11:44 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: hearallseeall]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: hearallseeall
Woodcuck and his 2 trash buddies have trash fetishes/obsessions.

A disturbing visual requiring one to gouge their eyes out. sick grin

#1511273 --- 12/20/17 04:02 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: Timbo]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there

http://fingerlakes1.com/2017/12/19/tract...n-seneca-falls/

Tractor-trailer carrying trash overturns along Rt. 414 in Seneca Falls
Published: 12/19/2017 @ 02:08 pm

A tractor-trailer carrying garbage crashed on State Route 414 during the morning hours on Tuesday, according to first responders.

The accident was reported as a rollover, and came in around 6:30 am. While additional details about the accident were not clear, crews spent hours cleaning up the site.

#1511277 --- 12/20/17 05:55 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: kyle585]
scwoodchuck Offline

grin
https://www.naturalhealth365.com/pesticides-toxic-chemicals-1868-html you

"exposure to pesticides is associated with elevated rates of some of the most significant – and potentially deadly – diseases of our lifetime."

#1511279 --- 12/20/17 05:58 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: kyle585]
scwoodchuck Offline

#1511411 --- 12/21/17 03:33 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: gassy one]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF
Before everyone decides that a trash to energy plant is bad, consider this:

Trash to energy plants are nothing new. In the past 20 years they've become a viable alternative to landfills. A couple years ago I looked at a project at Covanta Essex in Newark, NJ. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the plant and, in particular, how clean the surrounding property was. All garbage arrives by truck at the facility and is dumped in a negative air receiving area so there's no stink. The garbage is superheated and dried before combustion. The combustion process produces no noticeable smell. There are state of the art scrubbers which prevent particulates from entering the atmosphere. The down side is the disposal cost is in the neighborhood of $150/ton vs approximately $30/ ton at Seneca Meadows. It's a price that we'll all have to pay sooner or later because landfills aren't going to be around much longer. It's just a matter of where they will be located. Logic holds that the plants would be better suited to being located near major metropolitan areas but rail transportation costs are a fraction of over-the-road trucking cost so it just might be economically viable to have these plants located here. Just remember, when you have to pay to transport your trash to Newark, NJ it's going to cost you a more than $150/ton. Trucking costs alone are going to be an additional $50/ton. That's more than twice what NYC currently pays to send their trash here.

Here's a little PR piece on Covanta:

https://www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities/Covanta-Essex

FWIW I live locally and have no association with these businesses other than the fact that the company I work for provides services to them once in a while. This afforded me the opportunity to see how they really work.

#1511432 --- 12/21/17 11:02 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: MCK]
all seeing eye Offline

And where do you live?

Sorry, your admitting that your company is a sub contractor from this industry, is admirable, but makes your comments suspect.

Specifically? Have you looked at energyjustice.net ? They are independent from the industry.

For example:
In the past 20 years they've become a viable alternative to landfills.

Actually, no new waste incinerator has been created in the US for more than 20 years.

AND WHY DOES SENECA COUNTY NEED MORE TRASH FROM ANYWHERE???????

#1511433 --- 12/21/17 11:05 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: MCK]
all seeing eye Offline

DID YOU REVIEW THE EMISSIONS, THE WASTE WATER AND ASH DISPOSAL? SORRY THIS IS NOT BENIGN.

Originally Posted By: MCK
Before everyone decides that a trash to energy plant is bad, consider this:

Trash to energy plants are nothing new. In the past 20 years they've become a viable alternative to landfills. A couple years ago I looked at a project at Covanta Essex in Newark, NJ. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the plant and, in particular, how clean the surrounding property was. All garbage arrives by truck at the facility and is dumped in a negative air receiving area so there's no stink. The garbage is superheated and dried before combustion. The combustion process produces no noticeable smell. There are state of the art scrubbers which prevent particulates from entering the atmosphere. The down side is the disposal cost is in the neighborhood of $150/ton vs approximately $30/ ton at Seneca Meadows. It's a price that we'll all have to pay sooner or later because landfills aren't going to be around much longer. It's just a matter of where they will be located. Logic holds that the plants would be better suited to being located near major metropolitan areas but rail transportation costs are a fraction of over-the-road trucking cost so it just might be economically viable to have these plants located here. Just remember, when you have to pay to transport your trash to Newark, NJ it's going to cost you a more than $150/ton. Trucking costs alone are going to be an additional $50/ton. That's more than twice what NYC currently pays to send their trash here.

Here's a little PR piece on Covanta:

https://www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities/Covanta-Essex

FWIW I live locally and have no association with these businesses other than the fact that the company I work for provides services to them once in a while. This afforded me the opportunity to see how they really work.

#1511437 --- 12/22/17 04:59 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
And where do you live?

Sorry, your admitting that your company is a sub contractor from this industry, is admirable, but makes your comments suspect.

Specifically? Have you looked at energyjustice.net ? They are independent from the industry.

For example:

Actually, no new waste incinerator has been created in the US for more than 20 years.

Energy Justice is just another Political action committee disguised as an environmental group.

https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/index....28-ACE55E0CC516

September 25, 2008 -

Contact: Marc Morano (202) 224-5762 Marc_Morano@epw.senate.gov

Weblink to New Report:

Inhofe Report Exposes Environmental Groups as ‘Massive Democratic Political Machines’

Edited by scwoodchuck (12/22/17 05:03 AM)

#1511438 --- 12/22/17 05:10 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Offline

DID YOU REVIEW THE EMISSIONS, THE WASTE WATER AND ASH DISPOSAL? SORRY THIS IS NOT BENIGN.
you do realize that the information provided by Energy Justice is 20 to 30 years old, and more. The incinerators of the past had no pollution controls.

#1511462 --- 12/22/17 07:44 PM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: all seeing eye]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF
DID YOU REVIEW THE EMISSIONS, THE WASTE WATER AND ASH DISPOSAL? SORRY THIS IS NOT BENIGN

The plant was in environmental compliance when they used electrostatic precipitators. They've upgraded all the incinerators to bag houses now which are much cleaner than the electrostatic precipitators. So what's your point? Should they be much cleaner than the EPA requires? Are you really concerned about the environment or do you just not want an incinerator in your backyard?

I think there are legitimate concerns with the siting of this plant. The discharge of warm water back into Seneca Lake is will likely have a far greater impact to the environment than the emissions from the plant.

Edited by MCK (12/22/17 07:48 PM)

#1511480 --- 12/23/17 07:06 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

THIS IS THE EXPERT YOU ARE QUOTING:

Climate change is impossible because "God's still up there."

In 2012, U.S. Sen. James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma) contended that acceptance of climate science was at odds with Christianity – never mind that many Christian leaders and institutions take climate change very seriously. "My point is, God's still up there," he told Voice of Christian Youth America. "The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

And where do you live?

For example:

Energy Justice is just another Political action committee disguised as an environmental group.

https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/index....28-ACE55E0CC516

September 25, 2008 -

Contact: Marc Morano (202) 224-5762 Marc_Morano@epw.senate.gov

Weblink to New Report:

Inhofe Report Exposes Environmental Groups as ‘Massive Democratic Political Machines’

#1511481 --- 12/23/17 07:31 AM Re: alternative to landfilling [Re: MCK]
all seeing eye Offline

I agree on the water issue, which is barely discussed in the application.

But, were you aware that the technology required on plants built in areas with clean air, like the Finger Lakes, is lower and cheaper, than the standards in areas with poor air quality?

What do "RACT, BACT and LAER" stand for? They are acronyms for different program requirements under the Clean Air Act,

RACT, or Reasonably Available Control Technology, is required on existing sources in areas that are not meeting national ambient air quality standards (i.e., non-attainment areas).
I
BACT, or Best Available Control Technology, is required on major new or modified sources in clean areas (i.e., attainment areas)
LAER, or Lowest Achievable Emission Rate, is required on major new or modified sources in non-attainment areas.

The solution isn't landfills or incineration, It is reducing the amount of waste.

Edited by all seeing eye (12/23/17 07:58 AM)

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >