FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1510404 --- 12/06/17 02:23 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Chris Hayes Retweeted
Elliott Lusztig&#8207; @ezlusztig
2h2 hours ago

An honest question: Can anyone explain why it is even logically consistent to demand Franken should resign but not demand that Trump also resign? Never mind the partisanship, is that even a defensible position?
330 replies 1,230 retweets 3,080 likes

FingerLakes1.com
#1510405 --- 12/06/17 02:26 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

The Daily Show&#8207;Verified account @TheDailyShow
1h1 hour ago

.@realDonaldTrump, too bad you got snubbed on Time's Person of the Year, but CONGRATS on winning McDonald's Customer of the Year! #TIMEPOY

#1510406 --- 12/06/17 02:29 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: kyle585]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
LOL, come now Kyle, he already told us that he humbly took a 'pass" this year. Stop laughing Sir.

#1510407 --- 12/06/17 02:31 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Sure beats calling someone Pocahontas

John McCain&#8207;Verified account @SenJohnMcCain
23h23 hours ago

Deeply saddened by the passing of Navajo Code Talker George B. Willie Sr. I had the great honor of meeting this hero in Navajo Nation last year. His sacrifice - and that of all Code Talkers - for the cause of freedom will never be forgotten. http://bit.ly/2As1nBk

#1510408 --- 12/06/17 02:31 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: Formermac]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Formermac
LOL, come now Kyle, he already told us that he humbly took a 'pass" this year. Stop laughing Sir.
Trump doesn't a humble or a decent bone in his whole stinking body. grin grin grin

#1510411 --- 12/06/17 03:13 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

The Daily Show&#8207;Verified account @TheDailyShow

Tonight at 11/10c, what kind of moral degenerate would endorse Roy Moore?

TRUMP: Hold my milkshake.

#1510810 --- 12/13/17 07:11 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: kyle585]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

#1510828 --- 12/14/17 06:22 AM A time for unity? [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wire...mccain-51771082

There was a time when irrespective of party affiliation, great men garnered friendship on all sides but we have today, a president who is incapable of showing compassion or love toward anyone but his own.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/us/politics/trump-widow-johnson-call.html

#1510830 --- 12/14/17 07:20 AM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: ThomasDecker]
ThomasDecker Offline

Loc: Land of the Free and home of t...

For Once, the Joke Is on Al Franken

December 14, 2017
https://townhall.com/columnists/salenazito/2017/12/13/for-once-the-joke-is-on-al-franken-n2421570

There is a strong argument to be made that Sen. Al Franken's central reason for resigning is he knew he would be reduced to being shunned by his peers and the press if he were to continue representing Minnesota in the congressional upper chamber. In short, he would have become a joke, an afterthought, a pariah, a no one.

For the egocentric Minnesotan who was courted by everyone in the Democratic Party to headline their fundraisers -- both for their re-elections as well as their state party's coffers -- and fawned over for his Hollywood pedigree and admired by progressives for his notorious grilling of Republican Trump Cabinet appointees, the mere thought of being reduced to zero status in American politics was a bridge too far.

In truth, it likely repulsed him. He is a man used to being center stage, needed, wanted, catered to, fawned over and courted.

If you have any doubt to the validity of this argument, consider his speech on the floor of the Senate last Thursday during which he announced he was resigning. He never once admitted doing anything wrong. He also never said he was sorry.

Franken said: "I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party."

This is not the mark of a leader, but candidly, was Franken ever elected to be a leader? He was a celebrity, a bulldog, a bully who was ironically heralded by feminists as a hero for women. But the truth is he never was a hero for women; that was just code for being staunchly pro-choice. And for many feminists, being staunchly pro-choice can cause them to overlook character flaws.

It is interesting how people have forgotten his first campaign for Senate in 2008. Voters knew he was coarse, vulgar and unapologetic for bad behavior and elected him anyway, narrowly in that election but overwhelmingly in 2014.

It's just like voters in Alabama know that senatorial candidate Roy Moore has his own set of disturbing issues but are considering electing him anyway. But it is important to look at Franken outside of Moore because these are two separate and different issues. Franken resigned because no one had his back anymore, and without that he would have become the David Vitter of the Democrat Party: the guy who did distasteful things no one wanted to be associated with again.

I often say we get the elections we deserve. We also get the candidates we deserve.

Minnesotans knew who they elected to the Senate: a former Hollywood writer and actor, former provocative talk-show host and satirist. His prominence in the Senate was pretty reflective of his previous life. There was a lot of noise, but according to research done by the Twin Cities Pioneer Press in 2014, his home state newspaper, his legislative career was weak. Of Franken's 141 pieces of legislation (85 bills, 47 amendments, and nine resolutions), none became law.

Americans don't just want members of Congress to be decent people; they want them to actually do things that benefit them, their communities and the country. They also don't want someone who solely uses their elected office as a springboard to more power.

When we decided 40 years ago -- at the beginning of the "me" generation -- to drop societal norms and boundaries, we gave people the OK to behave badly, especially men. It was cool to be naughty, and uncool to be respectful and gentlemanly.

It appears that storm is fading fast in the aftermath of the Harvey Weinstein scandal in both our culture and our politics. Politicians and aspiring politicians who had the wink, wink, nod, nod OK to do this while polite society looked the other way don't get any more winks or nods.

Maybe the best test of all for our country would have been Franken not resigning and instead facing the people who put him in office in the first place. In that moment we would know whether voters would bargain their values away in favor tribal of politics or, perhaps, see their way through to vote what was best for their lives, their communities and their country -- I suspect that as candidates line up to run in 2018, there will be some opportunities to test this.

Politics is always about the best calculation for your team. Voting is sometimes about what type of bargain you make when you pull the lever. Democrats calculated they'd gain more than they'd lose with Franken gone. A Democrat would replace him, at least initially, with Minnesota's Democratic governor putting a new Democrat in Franken's seat and the stain of the accusations ceding with him gone.

It leaves Democrats free to say they are the Party of moral authority but also leaves them with the image of a defiant, unapologetic man poking them in the eye as he walks out the door. It will be interesting to see what the long-term impact of that might be.

#1510831 --- 12/14/17 07:33 AM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

LOL, the joke is on you son. Al Franken is gone and a non factor but as of today, we have 4 Republicans in jail, a POTUS doing a dismal 32% approval rating, a racist Republican that was embarrassingly voted out Tuesday night, I just submitted a link which sadly stated that a Republican committed suicide due to sexual harassment...yes Sir, when one decides to offer one side fact, the opposing side somehow reveals itself as well. wink

#1510839 --- 12/14/17 08:23 AM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: ThomasDecker]
luckyduck Offline

Loc: NY
Franken is NOT gone, and in fact has given no date for when he will be.

Moore was not "voted out Tuesday night", point in fact he was never voted in.

Meanwhile, there are four others who have been accused but are at this point refusing to resign their seats, three dems and one rep.

1. Democratic Nevada Rep. Ruben Kihuen has said he will at least remain in Congress through the end of his first term. Kihuen is accused of sexually harassing his campaign finance director, who quit during the primary after he allegedly demanded sex from her on multiple occasions and touched her thighs.

Pelosi stated Kihuen should resign, but he said he has no intention of doing so and accused Pelosi of being a hypocrite. Pelosi, Kihuen claims, knew about the harassment claims during the election and still supported his candidacy. Pelosi denied that claim.

2. Texas Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold used $84,000 of taxpayer money to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit with a female staffer in 2014 after she complained about a hostile work environment, sexual harassment and gender discrimination. Farenthold and his current chief of staff, Bob Haueter, reportedly directed a constant stream of lewd and explicit comments at former spokeswoman Lauren Greene.

Farenthold fired Greene in retaliation after she complained about the alleged harassment, according to her lawsuit. The Office of Congressional Ethics cleared Farenthold of wrongdoing. He has pledged to repay taxpayers for the settlement.

3. Democratic Rep. Gregory Meeks is accused of firing a female staffer in retaliation for reporting a donor-related sexual assault. Meeks fired the staffer, Andrea Payne, just weeks after she filed a complaint with the Office of Compliance. Meeks admitted that Payne’s firing was unrelated to the quality of her work, according to her lawsuit.

The House used taxpayer funds in 2006 to settle the staffer’s accusations against the congressman. Meeks is under no pressure to resign and has given no indication that he plans to do so, but he did introduce a resolution calling for a congressional investigation of harassment accusations against President Trump.

4. Democratic Florida Rep. Alcee Hastings allegedly made sexual advances and harassed a committee staffer while he was chairman of that committee. American taxpayers shelled out $220,000 to settle sexual harassment accusations against Hastings in 2014. Hastings claimed he was falsely accused and had no knowledge of the settlement.

The congressman, who was cleared by a House Ethics Committee investigation in 2014, has received support from fellow Democratic Florida Reps. Lois Frankel and Frederica Wilson.

#1510930 --- 12/15/17 12:23 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: ThomasDecker]
ThomasDecker Offline

Kansas Dem Andrea Ramsey, accused of sexual harassment, will drop out of US House race

By Lindsay Wise and Bryan Lowry

McClatchy Washington Bureau and The Kansas City Star

WASHINGTON

Andrea Ramsey, a Democratic candidate for Congress, will drop out of the race after the Kansas City Star asked her about accusations in a 2005 lawsuit that she sexually harassed and retaliated against a male subordinate who said he had rejected her advances.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the case told The Star that the man reached a settlement with LabOne, the company where Ramsey was executive vice president of human resources. Court documents show that the man, Gary Funkhouser, and LabOne agreed to dismiss the case permanently after mediation in 2006.

Ramsey, a 56-year-old retired business executive from Leawood, was one of the Democratic candidates vying to challenge Republican Rep. Kevin Yoder in 2018 in Kansas’ 3rd District.

She was running with the endorsement of Emily’s List, a liberal women’s group that has raised more than a half-million dollars to help female candidates who support abortion rights.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article189931704.html#storylink=cpy

#1510936 --- 12/15/17 01:14 PM Re: Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

At the current rate, we'll see many more of these unfortunate situations being exposed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sexual...conduct-n827821

#1511034 --- 12/17/17 09:14 AM New Gropers and Perverts [Re: ThomasDecker]
ThomasDecker Offline

NBC Made Payment To Staffer After Sexual Harassment Claim Against Chris Matthews

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/16/nbc-ma...chris-matthews/
NBC Made Payment To Staffer After Sexual Harassment Claim Against Chris Matthews

Two sources familiar with the situation told The Daily Caller that Matthews paid $40,000 to settle with an assistant producer on his show, “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” in 1999 after she accused him of harassment. An MSNBC spokesperson contested that claim to the Caller, saying the company instead paid significantly less as part of a severance package.

The woman complained to CNBC executives about Matthews making inappropriate comments and jokes about her while in the company of others.

The MSNBC spokesman said that they thoroughly reviewed the situation at the time and that Matthews received a formal reprimand. Based on people who were involved in matter, the network concluded that the comments were inappropriate and juvenile but were not intended to be taken as propositions.

#1511054 --- 12/17/17 12:06 PM Re: New Gropers and Perverts [Re: ThomasDecker]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Thank God you've been allowed back on the forums after all the times YOU'VE been banned for making as many "inappropriate and juvenile" comments as you have.

How much money have you had to pay out as a result?
whistle smirk

#1511061 --- 12/17/17 12:22 PM Trump is biggest groper. [Re: Timbo]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Tamara Hunter gave a very powerful interview on CNN this morning. It was shocking to say the least.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/ex-fox-newse...-peoples-lives/

Ex-Fox Newser Tamara Holder Fires Back at Murdoch: ‘Fox News Ruined People’s Lives’
by Josh Feldman | 12:25 pm, December 17th, 2017

Former Fox News contributor Tamara Holder let loose this morning in response to Rupert Murdoch‘s comments about the sexual harassment scandals at Fox News.

Earlier this year, Fox News reached a settlement with Holder after she reported that an executive sexually assaulted her.

In a statement to The New York Times at the time, Fox News said, “Immediately after Ms. Holder notified Fox News of the alleged incident, the company promptly investigated the matter and took decisive action, for which Ms. Holder thanks the network. Fox News is grateful to Ms. Holder for her many contributions during her tenure at the network and wishes her continued success.”

Recently Murdoch was asked if the harassment claims had an impact on the business. Murdoch dismissively said that’s “nonsense” and made comments that led to a report for HuffPost by Yashar Ali about how current and former Fox News employees are “furious” over those remarks.

Holder went on the record for that report:

“You cannot rewrite history, Mr. Murdoch. The problem was not only with your chief executive. For example, one of your former executives trapped me in his office, pulled-out his penis and shoved my head on it. That’s not ‘nonsense.’ That’s criminal.”

“The culture at Fox News won’t change until you publicly accept that it has been a breeding ground for sexual misconduct over the past two decades,” Holder said.

And she appeared on CNN this morning to talk further with Brian Stelter about the issue.

“I want to be very clear here,” she began. “I would not have been able to be sitting here to say what I’m about to say if it wasn’t for Mr. Murdoch and what he said. Because my settlement, in exchange for money, I had to agree to be quiet, except if I was disparaged or maligned, and because Mr. Murdoch said what he said, that 60 seconds has allowed me to speak out.”

She continued:

“Fox News ruined people’s lives. He ruined my life. I don’t have a job in TV anymore, because the place that he has secured down like Fort Knox allowed abusive predators to prey on women who just wanted to work. That is not nonsense, this is people’s lives.”

Holder responded to “fake facts” from Murdoch and said none of this is about politics.

She told Stelter Murdoch was being remarkably dismissive in talking about “flirting”:

“Let me be clear. I had a man pull out his penis in his office and shove my head on it. That was not flirting, that was criminal. That was not sexual harassment, there were no gray areas… this is criminal. And I’m not the only case. There are just women who can’t speak out.”

Holder said at one point that Fox News would probably sue her, but again said, “what Mr. Murdoch said, in my opinion as a lawyer… gives me a legal right to respond.”

After HuffPost’s report, Mediaite received this statement from 21st Century Fox on Murdoch’s comments:

“Rupert never characterized the sexual harassment matters at FOX News as ‘nonsense.’ Rather, he responded negatively to the suggestion that sexual harassment issues were an obstacle to the Company’s bid for the rest of Sky. Under Rupert’s leadership and with his total support, the Company exited Roger Ailes, compensated numerous women who were mistreated; trained virtually all of its employees; exited its biggest star; and hired a new head of HR. By his actions, Rupert has made it abundantly clear that he understands that there were real problems at FOX News. Rupert values all of the hard-working colleagues at FOX News, and will continue to address these matters to ensure FOX News maintains its commitment to having a work environment based on the values of trust and respect.”

Holder added, “One of the other things that he did was get rid of all the women who were abused as well.”

#1511069 --- 12/17/17 02:17 PM Re: New Gropers and Perverts [Re: Timbo]
ThomasDecker Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

Thank God you've been allowed back on the forums after all the times YOU'VE been banned for making as many "inappropriate and juvenile" comments as you have.

How much money have you had to pay out as a result?
whistle smirk

You have me confused with someone else master Timbo!

#1511453 --- 12/22/17 03:11 PM Re: New Gropers and Perverts [Re: ThomasDecker]
ThomasDecker Offline

SURPRISE: Senate Has A Secret Harassment Fund Too; Details…

December 22, 2017 By Robert Gehl

Late Thursday, the Senate tried to sneak under the radar by quietly releasing a report they hoped would go unnoticed.

It wasn’t. The bare-bones report simply titled “harassment settlement” admitted to the $1.5 million in hush money paid to victims of United States Senators over the last two decades.

The two-page released didn’t list any particular senators or victims. It did say that almost $600,000 went for “member-led” Senate offices and $853,000 was for “other” Senate offices, Fox News reports.

The Senate’s Rules and Appropriations committees released the information on the evening of Congress’ final work day this year. It came during a period that has seen several lawmakers resign or announce their retirements following sexual harassment accusations, and growing condemnation for the secrecy with which Congress has guarded information about such cases.

While the release called the information “harassment settlement data,” none of the terse descriptions of each case used those words. Four of the cases involved sex discrimination, including two that also involved “reprisal,” while most of the rest were for race, age or disability discrimination.

The single largest payout – $421,000 was simply listed as “race discrimination and reprisal.

Over in the house, similar numbers reveal $342,000 in taxpayer money was used to settle workplace discrimination cases involving House members between 2008 and 2012. That included almost $175,000 for sexual harassment and discrimination allegations.

“Harassment in the workplace should not be tolerated,” Rules Committee Chairman Richard Shelby, R-Ala., said in the statement, “particularly not in the United States Senate.” He said his panel wanted to release the information “in a transparent manner” but its priority was to protect victims “from further harm.”

Meanwhile, the House Ethics Committee’s investigation of Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Texas) expanded beyond its initial inquiry of sexual harassment allegations to whether or not he lied to the panel.

The panel is reviewing whether he or someone acting on his behalf directed his congressional staff to work on his campaigns. House employees are free to work on campaign activities on their own time, but doing so at the direction of a lawmaker is an impermissible campaign subsidy.

Farenthold, who has announced he won’t seek re-election to a fifth term, is already the subject of an investigation into whether he sexually harassed a former member of his staff and retaliated against her for complaining of discriminatory conduct. The accusations against Farenthold first surfaced in 2014, when a former aide sued him over sexually suggestive comments and behavior, charging that she’d been fired after she complained.

Farenthold, a seven-year House veteran, had said he’d engaged in no wrongdoing when he settled the case in 2015. But after congressional sources said he’d paid a $84,000 settlement using taxpayers’ money, the House Ethics Committee said last week it would investigate him and public focus intensified, even though he said he’d reimburse the Treasury Department.

The Ethics panel also said Thursday it had created an investigative subcommittee to determine whether Democratic Rep. Ruben Kihuen of Nevada engaged in sexual harassment. Kihuen was already the subject of an ethics investigation, but the subcommittee’s formation is necessary for the most serious sanctions in ethics matters.

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/surprise-senate-secret-harassment-fund-details

#1511455 --- 12/22/17 04:46 PM Re: New Gropers and Perverts [Re: ThomasDecker]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/al-franken-uses-final-senate-052451296.html

Outgoing Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), who resigned from office earlier this month amid sexual misconduct allegations, used his final speech from the Senate floor on Thursday to list President Donald Trump’s many lies. He urged his congressional colleagues on both sides of the aisle to “stand up for truth.”

The Democratic senator said Trump did not invent many of the lies he spread &#8213; including false claims about widespread voter fraud, climate change science and the effectiveness of the Affordable Care Act, but the president was now leading the charge.

“As I leave the Senate, I have to admit that it feels like we are losing the war for truth,” he said. “Maybe it’s already lost.”

“So what is to be done?” Franken said. “Who will stand up and fight for a more honest debate — to insist that, even though we have a different set of opinions, we cannot honorably advance our competing agendas unless we use the same set of facts?”

#1511456 --- 12/22/17 04:49 PM Re: New Gropers and Perverts [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

https://www.dailywire.com/news/4834/trumps-101-lies-hank-berrien

Lyin' Donald: 101 Of Trump's Greatest Lies

That's not even a complete list. Trump's dishonesty is so awe-inspiringly pervasive that it would be nearly impossible to catalogue those lies in comprehensive fashion. But be assured: if Trump's talking, there's a solid shot he's not telling the truth.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >