FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1509038 --- 11/17/17 09:37 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: Formermac]
gassy one Offline

All politicians are crooks including the Clinton's! It's business as usual!

FingerLakes1.com
#1509054 --- 11/17/17 10:59 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: gassy one]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: gassy one
All politicians are crooks including the Clinton's! It's business as usual!
There are over 100 countries in the world. Our government is the best or at least close to the best. It is so sad that you feel so bad about this great country and it leaders.

#1509139 --- 11/18/17 11:09 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: Formermac]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-strateg...linkId=44885381

Top general says he would resist "illegal" nuke order from Trump

The top U.S. nuclear commander said Saturday he would push back against President Trump if he ordered a nuclear launch the general believed to be "illegal," saying he would hope to find another solution.

Air Force Gen. John Hyten, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM), told an audience at the Halifax International Security Forum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Saturday that he has given a lot of thought to what he would say if Mr. Trump ordered a strike he considered unlawful.

"I think some people think we're stupid," Hyten said in response to a question about such a scenario. "We're not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility, how do you not think about it?"

Hyten explained the process that would follow such a command. As head of STRATCOM, Hyten is responsible for overseeing the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

"I provide advice to the president, he will tell me what to do," Hyten added. "And if it's illegal, guess what's going to happen? I'm going to say, 'Mr. President, that's illegal.' And guess what he's going to do? He's going to say, 'What would be legal?' And we'll come up options, with a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that's the way it works. It's not that complicated."

#1509147 --- 11/18/17 12:51 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
ThomasDecker Offline

Loc: Land of the Free and home of t...
Originally Posted By: kyle585
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-strateg...linkId=44885381

Top general says he would resist "illegal" nuke order from Trump

The top U.S. nuclear commander said Saturday he would push back against President Trump if he ordered a nuclear launch the general believed to be "illegal," saying he would hope to find another solution.

Air Force Gen. John Hyten, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM), told an audience at the Halifax International Security Forum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Saturday that he has given a lot of thought to what he would say if Mr. Trump ordered a strike he considered unlawful.

"I think some people think we're stupid," Hyten said in response to a question about such a scenario. "We're not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility, how do you not think about it?"

Hyten explained the process that would follow such a command. As head of STRATCOM, Hyten is responsible for overseeing the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

"I provide advice to the president, he will tell me what to do," Hyten added. "And if it's illegal, guess what's going to happen? I'm going to say, 'Mr. President, that's illegal.' And guess what he's going to do? He's going to say, 'What would be legal?' And we'll come up options, with a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that's the way it works. It's not that complicated."

Air Force Gen. John Hyten, you are FIRED!

#1509157 --- 11/18/17 02:34 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: ThomasDecker]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Thank so much Gen Hyten. You may somebody be credited with saving the human race from Trump.

#1509166 --- 11/18/17 03:14 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: Formermac]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/opini...col-left-region

Nuclear War Doesn’t Seem So Funny After All

In January, I started writing a novel in which a 10-kiloton nuclear bomb was detonated in the center of Washington, where I live. It was meant to be funny. I had read a 2011 report by the Federal Emergency Management Agency that described the effect of such a detonation, and was surprised to learn that my apartment in Adams Morgan would most likely survive the initial blast.

I imagined myself and my neighbors — about half wealthy millennials and half older people who’d bought in before the neighborhood’s property values skyrocketed — sheltering in awkward place in a basement, bickering over scraps of food and someone’s private stash of LaCroix cans.

Then, in April, Kim Jong-un of North Korea released a propaganda video of his army striking the Capitol; over the summer he tested intercontinental ballistic missiles that may be capable of striking the East Coast. More recently, President Trump called Mr. Kim “short and fat,” and now, apparently, North Korea has sentenced Mr. Trump to death in absentia. Suddenly, my novel started feeling a lot less funny.

For 1980s babies like me, nuclear war has long had a darkly comic edge. Too young to have experienced 1950s school drills or to remember the heightened anxieties of the early 1980s, we’ve viewed nuclear war as a terrifying improbability, especially compared with the terrifying certainties that we know all too well: global warming, terrorism, lone-wolf gunmen. America is in the privileged position of having inflicted nuclear casualties, not suffered them — and since the Cold War ended, it’s felt relatively likely that we wouldn’t be on either side of that equation again.

Understanding nuclear war from movies, books and grainy videos of kids hiding ineffectually under desks, we’ve seen it mostly through two prisms: black humor and camp. On the camp side, there’s the 1983 movie “The Day After,” with an Urkel-jeaned Steve Guttenberg and all the flashing skeletons. On the black humor side, everything from “Dr. Strangelove” to Kurt Vonnegut to the work of Takashi Murakami, as Spencer Weart points out in his book “The Rise of Nuclear Fear.”

For me, an increase in visceral terror over the past year at first made me need to laugh, and then made laughing feel inappropriate. When I started my nuclear-attack novel, I felt I was using humor to assuage my latent fears of an attack; it felt cathartic. But catharsis, like humor, implies a remove: You’re re-experiencing a past trauma, or inhabiting someone else’s. As it became increasingly plausible that I could live through the precise situation I was describing, the humor faded, and I abandoned the project.

Should we actually approach the brink of nuclear war, humor might feel necessary again. And if it does, I have a novel all ready to go.

#1509200 --- 11/18/17 08:25 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
gassy one Offline

BOOM BOOM!

#1509218 --- 11/19/17 03:38 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: gassy one]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

BOOM BOOM!
You are the only person I know or who I have heard of that think nuclear war is funny. I hope you survive the initial blast and starve to death over the next year in the following nuclear winter.

#1509231 --- 11/19/17 08:46 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
ThomasDecker Offline

Loc: Land of the Free and home of t...
Thank so much Gen Hyten. You may somebody be credited with saving the human race from Trump.

UCMJ Article 88-court martial offense;

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

How's that master kyle, your treasonous General could, and should be court-martialed.

#1509232 --- 11/19/17 10:13 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY

Notice the word "illegal" So fake news again.

#1509275 --- 11/19/17 07:20 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
gassy one Offline

BOOM BOOM!
You are the only person I know or who I have heard of that think nuclear war is funny. I hope you survive the initial blast and starve to death over the next year in the following nuclear winter.
Not a Doom & Gloomer like you Kyle!

#1509296 --- 11/19/17 07:55 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: gassy one]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

BOOM BOOM!
Not a Doom & Gloomer like you Kyle!
No you are not. You have no clue with your head buried in the sand.

#1509320 --- 11/19/17 08:20 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
gassy one Offline

Better than where your's is buried! LOL!

#1509345 --- 11/20/17 04:06 AM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: gassy one]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Better than where your's is buried! LOL!
Your replies sound like a young teen which you probably are.

#1509465 --- 11/21/17 10:35 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: kyle585]
gassy one Offline

You have no clue Kyle!

#1519226 --- 08/29/18 04:21 PM Re: God Bless Our Veterans [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground
Originally Posted By: ThomasDecker

Oddly enough, not one Conservative here will stand against Trump and honor one of the greatest war heroes of modern times, the late John McCain.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4