FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1506707 --- 10/17/17 06:37 PM Seneca Falls Elections
Crazy Offline

With the Town Board Elections around the corner.Here's a little food for thought.
Half the Canadidates are for the Dump and the other half are Against the Dump.Who among the Votes can say that if the Dump does end up Closing as planned , will be able to afford their Taxes?How any will be moving out of the area if their Taxes increase.Which they will.Because the Town can not Support itself without their help.I don't agree with all of the name calling and Bullying that some people in this town have been doing.Plus the fact that certain people can't mind their own business and let the Town Board Held everything.They are the people that we Elected last year , So I feel that we should let them do their Job, instead of name calling.It's time that this Town start coming together instead of tearing each other apart.Our Town has been in the News way too much over the Dump and over the Town Board members having personal issues with each.I say enough is enough.

FingerLakes1.com
#1506720 --- 10/17/17 08:59 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
Lee Alias Offline

Loc: NY,Seneca, Seneca Falls
SF Board needs to control spending, with or without the Dump. I agree there is too much negatives, in the news about the Dump & SF. Plus, SF has other areas that need attention also. It obvious watching the SF Boarding meetings, that the board is split and there are member issues. Please give a positive that this SF Board has done since elected..???!!! I can't think of 1!!

#1506726 --- 10/18/17 02:07 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
How did Seneca Falls, and Waterloo for that matter, ever run without the dump money years ago? Maybe, just maybe its time to pull our heads out of the clouds and become more responsible with the monies we have.

#1506727 --- 10/18/17 05:30 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Code Red]
scwoodchuck Online   content

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
How did Waterloo and Seneca Falls get along without the dump you ask. Well I'LL tell you how, they dumped trash all over the place. They dumped trash on just about every dead end street and every farm field all around the village and town.In 1970 the DEC came along and put an end to all that. Without the dump and cheap dumping you might not have Gould's or any other business. If you think trash disposal is not an issue for business just look a little closer next time you go down Fall street and look at the dump Gould's has on their property.

#1506729 --- 10/18/17 05:46 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]

Crazy why would you vote for an ANTI DUMP CANDIDATE when they have lied to you about the adverse environmental effects of the landfill ? The crap about protecting the lakes and ground water, toxic landfill gas, high cancer rates is all fear mongering. These people claim the landfill is bullying and intimidating and hiding the truth when that is exactly what they have been doing all along. The Town Board has to make decisions based on fact not scare tactics. People like Churchill have been lying to you for years just to get elected. You have let some radical environmental activists lead you down a path of SELF DESTRUCTION.

#1506743 --- 10/18/17 08:53 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
OINK Offline

SMI's monies have never gone for Town Taxes. The taxes fluctuate with expenditures. Stop the fear tactics with the tax talk and read the budget. Stop waiting for the "call" that never comes and create a plan for growth. Too many opportunities that are not being developed. Time to change the "retiree" decision making and think future.

#1506748 --- 10/18/17 11:31 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: OINK]

I agree, there are a lot of GHOST TOWNS out west that are popular tourist attractions. grin

#1506770 --- 10/18/17 09:45 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
Wolf King Offline

Loc: The Forest
lol retired teachers and people who actually care about and get involved in their communities are now "radical environmentalists?" Just because you can't understand the science does not means it's not true. I refuse to believe that Seneca Falls and Waterloo cannot exist with the largest pile of other people's reeking filth in the state on their outskirts. Plenty of other communities do it just fine. Prove to me 53 million tons of garbage is healthy to breathe in on a daily basis.

#1506771 --- 10/18/17 09:50 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
Wolf King Offline

The "name calling and bullying" have been coming from certain town board members who can't stand their egos being challenged. Members of the community have every last right to question their elected officials at every chance they can get. They work for us, not the other way around. It is our business. If they don't like it, they can resign.

p.s. town taxes ONLY MAY see a slight increase. Your county taxes, property taxes, school taxes will not increase one cent. Your mortgage will not go up.

p.p.s. LL3 gives that dump and the town 9 years to figure out a plan for its closure. That is plenty of time to work out their finances. No landfill goes on forever. They all close down eventually. This idea of that dump giving handouts into the sunset is not reality. It will close someday, like it or not.

#1506775 --- 10/18/17 10:52 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
Code Red Offline

"I refuse to believe that Seneca Falls and Waterloo cannot exist with the largest pile of other people's reeking filth in the state on their outskirts"

This was my point. The towns both existed before the dump, and will continue after the dump is gone. When the "Community Benefits" deals started both towns loosened up the belts on money to do things that were not necessary. So the belts will have to be tightened. They have 9 years to come back to reality and figure out a solid plan. The Landfill has become a Landoverfill now and it cant survive its footprint much longer. How many more hundreds of acers of land do we want to forfeit for their gain ?

#1506780 --- 10/19/17 07:02 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Code Red]

Breach of contract, ever hear of that ? If Seneca Falls violates the Community Benefits Agreement the landfill can stop the money now, so much for your 9 years. Like so many other municipalities in the north east your infrastructure is falling apart. You can't make the necessary repairs without raising taxes or taking landfill money. But you guys flunked math so there is no hope of you ever figuring that out. But you married money so you don't need to know math.

#1506787 --- 10/19/17 08:30 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
OINK Offline

"Breach of Contract"? You should read the agreement before making statements. SMI is and has been responsible for on time payments and legal fees, why has this been overlooked? Business is business. There are many, many ways to make necessary repairs without raising taxes. Proactive planning, grants, responsible fiduciary controls, and compromise are ways successful small community governments approach this. If any entity decides not to hold up their responsibilities by way of legalize manipulation, review their infrastructure responsibilities. Are they paying their fair share of school or property taxes or are they using PILOT programs? Are they paying their just portion of water/sewer costs or are they paying what common household owners are charged? Is the town government trying to diversify their portfolio or are they placing all their eggs in one basket? Again, think future opportunities not "retiree" maintenance!

#1506788 --- 10/19/17 09:34 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
Code Red Offline

"But you married money so you don't need to know math." LOL, not anymore. And you have missed the point. All these years the towns have had Uncle Moneybags there. How did they do it before he came around? These CBPrograms weren't around when I grew up in Waterloo.They only statement I am trying to make is, now they will have to start using the funds that they have available and not hold their hand out to SMI. But another big issue I fear is when the dump does close, and SMI basically walks away, and 10 to 15 years down the road there is leakage or some even bigger problem, who will be paying for that? Yup Waterloo and Seneca Falls.

#1506792 --- 10/19/17 10:25 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
OINK Offline

Negotiate the rights for the power released from the dump. This will also be there forever and it may be due compensation to closing the gap on clean up and maintenance. I believe that SMI cannot walk away from their responsibilities once overall collection has ceased. Working together to effectively compromise and benefit. SMI does have an exit strategy, that's how successful corporations operate.

#1506797 --- 10/19/17 11:14 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: OINK]

Well it's obvious you 2 don't have a clue as to how things work. The landfill once capped and water can't get in there is almost no chance of any kind of leak. There is something like 15,000,000 dollars already set aside for anything that is needed after the landfill closes and the State will be responsible. Now would you 2 please try to explain exactly where Seneca Falls would be if the dump never existed. Your perfect little town is falling apart with the millions it has gotten in the past. Just exactly where do you think it would be today. The entire State of New York is going down the toilet but somehow you think Seneca Falls could have done better , what a joke you are !

#1506798 --- 10/19/17 11:27 AM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: OINK]

OINK
https://goo.gl/images/GwuVCZ

Tell you what, take your lawn chairs down to the old village of Waterloo dump on Main Street and wait for something to happen like you claim will happen at SMI and report back. Nothing has happened in over 50 years and that dump is far more toxic than SMI.

Also explain why the current board is responsible for something that has been going on for decades.

Edited by scwoodchuck (10/19/17 11:56 AM)

#1506801 --- 10/19/17 12:08 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
OINK Offline

Again, the future is what we are all referring to. We cannot change what was done in the past but we can take advantage of what the future holds. You enjoy pointing fingers and using bullying rhetoric but you have never suggested constructive suggestions to go forward. If you come in to the office and give 3 reasons of how bad things are without suggestions on how to help fix them, then that is the definition of "whining". The "dump" is not the primary issue, it is the failure to develop a comprehensive strategy for growth and sustainability which you have no interest in since everything that has been attempted is the only thing that can be done. That's a little insane, isn't?

#1506810 --- 10/19/17 04:12 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: OINK]

What's insane is having a conversation with you and your kind. The board has asked every department too cut their budget by 15% and cut back on all unnecessary spending. The board is trying to fix infrastructure problems that have existed for 30 years or more. The only problem is you cannot be satisfied. You are the one using bullying rhetoric. The board has offered constructive suggestions and has taken action you are repeating the same strategy the board has already implemented.

#1506811 --- 10/19/17 05:16 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: Crazy]
OINK Offline

"Your kind"? Please expound, what are "my kind"? This is what I am referring to as Bullying Rhetoric. It was 10% not 15%. Infrastructure problems, those are a given but handing out raises to elected officials who had the choice for running for the position, Wow! Let's show the public that we are looking closely at the budget and announce that we are doing something then in a flash OK a raise. How about proudly stating that the board is actively pursuing economic development and spends over $50,000 for part time position. Another example for you, making the decision to replace the sitting Town Attorney with a more expensive one. What, aren't all of our citizens aware of these few decisions. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

#1506812 --- 10/19/17 05:54 PM Re: Seneca Falls Elections [Re: scwoodchuck]
Wolf King Offline

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Breach of contract, ever hear of that ? If Seneca Falls violates the Community Benefits Agreement the landfill can stop the money now, so much for your 9 years. Like so many other municipalities in the north east your infrastructure is falling apart. You can't make the necessary repairs without raising taxes or taking landfill money. But you guys flunked math so there is no hope of you ever figuring that out. But you married money so you don't need to know math.

It is not a breach of contract, so you can spare us your employer's fear-mongering right now. SMI themselves agreed to the 2025 closure date in the 2007 host community benefits agreement. LL3 simply holds them to their word. And even if it were a "breach of contract", contracts can go straight to hell when the health and well-being of community members and their children are at stake.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >