FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1506251 --- 10/08/17 08:57 PM Get A Grip
ruby2 Offline

Below are excerpts from a Finger Lakes Times article dated October 7, 2017 asking the city for more money for a group called Community Compact.

"A number of residents are urging City Council to create a civilian review board to oversee conduct of the police department....."

"A number of speakers urged during a public hearing on the proposed 2018 budget that more money be set aside for efforts to improve police conduct and relations with city residents through the city’s Community Compact. Among the calls related to the Compact: spending more money for training....."

"This is a concept that was thoroughly reviewed by the workgroup that developed the Community Compact, including Tools for Social Change, the Department of Justice, the African American Men’s Association, Courtyard Tenants Association, the Human Rights Commission, the NAACP and city officials.” said Horn.  “At the end of the day, the team felt that it was not something we would pursue under this agreement.”...."

There are 8 entities mentioned, including the city and dept of justice.  My question, or I should say suggestion is, why not merge some of those groups into several larger groups instead of asking for more money and creating more groups.  And, surely 8 groups are enough to look after the civil rights of the citizens of Geneva.  I mean, really, just how evil is our police force that it deserves an ever growing number of entities to look after it? 

Stop this insanity with overblown claims of racism at every turn.  Yes, I know about the racest post by one officer and the truly unfortunate killing of William Corey Jackson, but a grand jury found that the officer, Carmen Reale, was justified in the shooting.  I wasn't on the grand jury and I'm not going to second guess them.  But to keep expanding these oversight groups and throwing money at them is crazy.  Get together groups and talk to each other and come up with a plan.  Soon the oversight groups' budgets will be larger than the police budget and employ more people, if they don't do so already.

Perhaps we need a group to look after the groups.  This is all so crazy!

FingerLakes1.com
#1506258 --- 10/08/17 09:29 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Wolf King Online   content

Loc: The Forest
Shooting an unarmed man in the head, through a vehicle window, is not "overblown". It is unacceptable. When very lightly educated people are given a few months training, armed and given free reign to end the lives of human beings on a whim, over a perceived disrespect, they SHOULD be monitored as closely as possible. 8 groups is not nearly enough. It's time to end this rampant corruption in Geneva and elsewhere in the United States. Police are public SERVANTS not a knighted gentry class. They work for the public, not the other way around. They need to be held to the highest standard possible. Thankfully, the younger generation will see to more and more stringent oversight of those tasked with PROTECTING, not killing other human beings on a whim. Things are changing.

#1506261 --- 10/08/17 10:01 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: ruby2
This is all so crazy!

I would submit that it's only 'crazy" if it's not an issue. With so many different groups charged with handling unique concerns, it would, by all logical conclusion, appear to indeed require equally representative solutions.

The fact that there appears to be a great many similar public statements of concern, by no means suggests that Geneva's police force is, as you put it, "evil". They may however be poorly trained or be experiencing similar gross abuses of authority being readily experienced all across the nation, in epidemic numbers.

One of the advantages to multiple oversight entities, is the fact that it guards against external corruption of said entities. What actual evidence do you have of these claims of police abuse being "overblown", or is it merely a suspicion on your part?

#1506274 --- 10/09/17 09:21 AM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
IHHSG Offline

Loc: 14456
There are 8 entities mentioned, including the city and dept of justice.  My question, or I should say suggestion is, why not merge some of those groups into several larger groups instead of asking for more money and creating more groups.

The Community Compact is a single group made up of all those other groups. I didn't see anywhere in the article that said anyone was trying to create a "new group." They are asking for a civilian review board, which is something that many, many cities have.

And, surely 8 groups are enough to look after the civil rights of the citizens of Geneva.  I mean, really, just how evil is our police force that it deserves an ever growing number of entities to look after it?

The US Department of Justice sent a representative to Geneva. Multiple community meetings were held and the DOJ found that there are serious issues with police and community relations in Geneva.

Get together groups and talk to each other and come up with a plan.

That's what the Community Compact does.

Soon the oversight groups' budgets will be larger than the police budget and employ more people, if they don't do so already.

You should probably actually look at the city budget before saying something so absurd.

#1506281 --- 10/09/17 01:46 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
ruby2 Offline

So a group has been formed for the groups.  A groups group, so to speak.  It's all too absurd.  groups, and then  another group made up of all those groups, but no dropping of any group(s).  Sounds like a lot of redundacy, special agendas, and no accountability.

And, what is Tools for Social Change?   Isn't that just another name for Black Lives Matter.  Why not call it what it is?  And, if so, they do have their own agenda and its national, not local.

Give me a break, I wasn't born yesterday.  It's a babble fest with all those entities involved. the Geneva Men's Group sounds like it might be helpful, so too the Courtyard Group.  I'm assuming they are local people who have had interactions with the police over time.   I don't know anything about their internal politics or agenda. 

Who are all these people, and why doesn't the public at large know anything about them?  Unknown people in 8 Groups making decisions about what is racist behavior, racist speech,  police bias and brutality, etc  Big responsibility that.  Are these Groups open for the public to join and attend meetings.  Are there any qualifications needed to join?  If so, what?  And, some smart guy/gal, don't point out the Justice Dept or City Govt qualifications that's not what I'm talking about.

Who watches the watchers, making sure there is honor and fairness in them and their judgements as they are tasked to judge others.  Where does the accountability lie for these Groups?   I should think to be fair, all members should go thru some vetting process and sensitivity training, if they are setting themselves up to sit in judgement.  Does anyone know who's who?  Oh how easy it is to sit in judgement of others especially when you lack training and experience in such matters. And then to generalize and call everybody, the police (37 cops) and Geneva white people, racists.  Hypocrisy abounds!  Who are the racists here?

#1506282 --- 10/09/17 02:22 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

And, what is Tools for Social Change? Isn't that just another name for Black Lives Matter.

Welllllll... It look's as if "we" finally got to the heart of your issue with those who have issues with certain members of law enforcement, haven't we? whistle eek

#1506291 --- 10/09/17 06:32 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]

Aaaaaaand the truth comes out. Didn't take much for ruby 2 to show what really is at the heart of his anger.

#1506292 --- 10/09/17 06:34 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]

Who watches the watchers, making sure there is honor and fairness in them and their judgements as they are tasked to judge others.  Where does the accountability lie for these Groups?   I should think to be fair, all members should go thru some vetting process and sensitivity training, if they are setting themselves up to sit in judgement.  Does anyone know who's who?  Oh how easy it is to sit in judgement of others especially when you lack training and experience in such matters. And then to generalize and call everybody, the police (37 cops) and Geneva white people, racists.  Hypocrisy abounds!  Who are the racists here?

Had you just a bit more insight, you may have realized this is quite literally the reasoning for citizens advisory groups to hold oversight over the police. "Watching the watchers", as you put it. The sheer irony here is striking.

#1506298 --- 10/09/17 07:23 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Wolf King]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

to generalize and call everybody, the police (37 cops) and Geneva white people, racists.  Hypocrisy abounds!  Who are the racists here?

Uhhh... the ONLY person here who keeps dredging up the topic of RACE, I'm thinkin'. whistle eek

#1506302 --- 10/09/17 08:09 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Cowgirl Offline

Loc: NY
Are we finally realizing that police and the justice system is a closed corrupt self sustaining system whose mere existence is to justify their existence, no matter what means. I was thrown off this forum for speaking the truth about the system They are all evil because even when they know when a cop is wrong they lie for them and let innocent people suffer. "THE BLUE WALL OF SILENCE" wake up people, don't support any of them.

#1506316 --- 10/09/17 09:49 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
ruby2 Offline

Wolf king, I don't know what you've been reading, but it's not my posts.  A reading comprehension course might help.  Instead of attacking, why don't you express an opinion of your own just as I did.  Cowgirl, you said what you had to say I believe.  Why it had to be at my expense, I don't know.  So what's the problem?  You hold to your uncompromising belief that all police and all white people are racists, and I don't believe that.  Your generalizations about the white race is racist.  I hope neither one of you is a member of The  Group of 8, because you are biased.  Your misquoting and misstating of what I've posted tells me your minds are foggy with anger and rage against a race of people that at heart you really don't like.  That's racist.  Permission to be on the Group of 8:  NOT GRANTED due to extreme bias.

#1506351 --- 10/10/17 11:58 AM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Wolf King]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Wolf King
Aaaaaaand the truth comes out. Didn't take much for ruby 2 to show what really is at the heart of his anger.
Anything wrong in the world you lefties play the race card!

#1506361 --- 10/10/17 03:19 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: gassy one

Interesting, since we didn't play ANY race card. You and Ruby2 DID however.

So, if the pointy hood fits....

#1506362 --- 10/10/17 03:36 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
ruby2 Offline

I see that also gassy one, it's a tactic used by professional agitators to demonize a whole group, or class, of people.  In this case white people.

Now to you Timbo, let me see if I got this straight.  Because I "keep bringing up the matter of race" this makes me a racist!  This is backed up by your false assumption that all whites are racists.  I repeat, False Assumption, just as is the assumption that black people can't be racists because they are victims of white racism.  FALSE ASSUMPTIONS ALL!!!

Thankfully, the majority of blacks and whites in our country are reasonably tolerant people and are not racists.  I see this every day as I go about my business.

Timbo, your application to join The Groups of 8 is REJECTED due to extreme bias and intolerance and because you are just plain mean spirited.

#1506364 --- 10/10/17 03:42 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

I see that also gassy one, it's a tactic used by professional agitators to demonize a whole group, or class, of people.  In this case white people.

This is backed up by your false assumption that all whites are racists.  I repeat, False Assumption, just as is the assumption that black people can't be racists because they are victims of white racism.  FALSE ASSUMPTIONS ALL!!!

The only false assumptions being made here, is your own asinine assumption that I implied such an utterly boneheaded thing. I neither thought it nor said it (nor EVER have). So quit suggesting that I do/did.

As for "tactic"s, putting words in people's mouths is probably the 'original sin' of tactics.

#1506365 --- 10/10/17 03:46 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
ruby2 Offline

Make up your mind , Bonehead, do you/or did you?

#1506366 --- 10/10/17 03:50 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Wow... you're a regular card-carrying MENSA member, aren't you? eek

https://www.mensa.org/workout

#1506382 --- 10/10/17 08:59 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Cowgirl]

Originally Posted By: Cowgirl
Are we finally realizing that police and the justice system is a closed corrupt self sustaining system whose mere existence is to justify their existence, no matter what means. I was thrown off this forum for speaking the truth about the system They are all evil because even when they know when a cop is wrong they lie for them and let innocent people suffer. "THE BLUE WALL OF SILENCE" wake up people, don't support any of them.

Truth. Don't let them intimidate you, keep preaching it.

#1506383 --- 10/10/17 09:01 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: gassy one]

"Lefties" are not the reason you're a loser. You are.

#1506386 --- 10/10/17 09:26 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Wolf King]
gassy one Offline

"Lefties" are not the reason you're a loser. You are.

I'm afraid the loser would be you petunia!

#1506387 --- 10/10/17 09:28 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Wolf King]
gassy one Offline

That's just as bad as playing the race card! People don't want to accept responsibility for their actions and are always looking for a way out!

#1506393 --- 10/11/17 12:01 AM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Wolf King]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

smile !

#1506401 --- 10/11/17 06:11 AM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Sounds like a lot of redundacy, special agendas, and no accountability.
GOD, I Looove Irony! crazy

#1506429 --- 10/11/17 11:25 AM Re: Get A Grip [Re: ruby2]

Ouch, nice come back, there, little Timmy. Now back to third grade social studies class.

#1506559 --- 10/13/17 01:14 PM Re: Get A Grip [Re: Wolf King]
gassy one Offline

Ouch, nice come back, there, little Timmy. Now back to third grade social studies class.
To join you! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >