FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#150594 --- 03/27/05 01:43 PM Would you want to pull the plug?
origamifreak Offline

Loc: Beyond the Neutral Zone
Quote:

I would not want to be kept alive for 15 years in the condition of Terri Schiavo. Is there anyone on here who would? Or is it unanmious that we would not?

Let's find out.
Would you want to be kept alive for 15 years in Terry Shiavo's condition?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 03/27/05 05:00 AM
View the results of this poll.

FingerLakes1.com
#150595 --- 03/27/05 01:52 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
I would not want to be left to "live" in the condition that Terri has been in for over fifteen years. If there is nothing there. as my Dad said after his stroke, nothing but a blank white wall...let me go. To my family reading this, you best follow this or I will haunt you! Seriously, I love my family, but please just pull the plug when the time comes for me to go from this world.

#150596 --- 03/27/05 01:55 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
origamifreak Offline

Quote:

I would not want to be left to "live" in the condition that Terri has been in for over fifteen years. If there is nothing there. as my Dad said after his stroke, nothing but a blank white wall...let me go. To my family reading this, you best follow this or I will haunt you! Seriously, I love my family, but please just pull the plug when the time comes for me to go from this world.

*Can* you even haunt if your body is technically still alive? I thought you had to be dead first...
If you can, then it's probably a good idea to just become a poltergeist and pull out your own tube.

#150597 --- 03/27/05 01:57 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:

Quote:

*Can* you even haunt if your body is technically still alive? I thought you had to be dead first...
If you can, then it's probably a good idea to just become a poltergeist and pull out your own tube.

Dont think I wont try that, Oragami...lol. But I meant once I DO die....

#150598 --- 03/27/05 01:59 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
origamifreak Offline

Quote:

Dont think I wont try that, Oragami...lol. But I meant once I DO die....

Oh! Now I understand. I agree.

It would probably be appropriate to haunt them at least as long as they kept you alive. That would be my policy, anyway.

#150599 --- 03/27/05 04:26 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Reinhart Faust Offline

Loc: This Island Earth
Hopefully by the time, if such a time should come, that I am in Terry Schiavo's condition, our society will be evolved enough that they won't just pull the feeding tube and let me linger while people turn the whole thing into a media circus. Hopefully our society will be evolved enough by then to allow me the dignity of a shot of potassium chloride, or at least an overdose of morphine. But I won't count on our society's evolution, given the current trend against evolution. I won't say who's responsible for that; we all know who they are.

#150600 --- 03/27/05 04:37 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
Don't worry. You're only 23. You will live forever.

#150601 --- 03/27/05 04:39 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
probably what Terri Shiavo thought

#150602 --- 03/27/05 05:08 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Reinhart Faust Offline

Actually I'm 25, but that's beside the point.

#150603 --- 03/27/05 05:54 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I "love" when they argue, " Oh she was so young, even if she said that she didnt mean it, I mean she was soooooo young!" WTF does that mean?? Young people are not alowed to make their wishes known either by verbalizing them or writing them in a will becuase they "dont mean it"??? I have never heard such a ridiculous argument, and one so damning of the young adult.

#150604 --- 03/27/05 06:08 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Hogg Wild Offline

Loc: The House That Love Built
Quote:

Hopefully by the time, if such a time should come, that I am in Terry Schiavo's condition, our society will be evolved enough that they won't just pull the feeding tube and let me linger while people turn the whole thing into a media circus. Hopefully our society will be evolved enough by then to allow me the dignity of a shot of potassium chloride, or at least an overdose of morphine. But I won't count on our society's evolution, given the current trend against evolution. I won't say who's responsible for that; we all know who they are.

I agree...for the most part. The "problem" with Schiavo's case is that she is not brain dead, this is a "quality of life" issue. I'm saddened that this woman, and of course her family, has had to suffer all these years. Perhaps this woman is being used as an example...in my opinion there will be no "winner" in this situation, I don't feel it's humane for her to live out her days as a vegetable, I also don't feel it's humane for her to starve to death.

#150605 --- 03/28/05 02:56 AM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Queenofparties Offline

Loc: fingerlakes region
Anyone who is 18 years and older I hope that we all go and get the proper paperwork done and written out so that this won't happen again. If I were to have no quality of life put the pillow over my face..
So instead of just talking about making out wills and your wishes to be known WRITE it out and make sure the person you have in charge can follow thru with that! IMO

#150606 --- 03/28/05 03:07 AM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Reinhart Faust Offline

A good shot of morphine to knock you out and then a shot of potassium chloride to stop the heart, that's the way to go. Nice and quick.

#150607 --- 03/28/05 03:11 AM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I wholeheartedly agree with euthansia for a person if they so desire it or make it known if they come a point of no return (such as Terri) that they be given the injections via a living will. I do not however, want to see the day it is used "ad lib" on people who cannot speak for themselves nor have family members around them, ect. That is the one fear I have of it, that the indigent people who have not made their wishes known someway and cannot voice they truly want euthanasia would be euthanized. Euthanasia by choice for those deathly ill and suffering who want should be able to make that call. JMO.

#150608 --- 03/28/05 04:47 AM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Reinhart Faust Offline

I truly believe that some day, hopefully sooner, but I fear later, our society will look back upon the fact that we do not allow the terminally ill to choose to die with dignity with the same shame that we now experience, or at least should experience, when looking upon our historical practices of slavery and witch burning.

#150609 --- 03/28/05 01:19 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
I guess this is a good time to make YOUR wishes known; excellus bcbs has the paper work on line.

#150610 --- 03/28/05 01:22 PM Re: Would you want to pull the plug?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

When you are done filling it out, read it over and over again to make sure there is no loop hole a wellmeaning, overly emotional possibly overexhuberant right to life family member can NOTuse anything to prolong a situation you truly do not want! It can keep families from being torn apart, and you might want to include a note you do not want intervention by the government at all!