FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1504860 --- 09/19/17 07:49 AM Spike gets his way
gassy one Offline

Two new deputies & 1 new dispatcher! The old guys on the legislature are just a rubber stamp for Spike!

FingerLakes1.com
#1504862 --- 09/19/17 09:34 AM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
Helpme2 Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
I actually agree with Gassy on this one. For a small county we appear to have more crime than Chicago. By the way Gassy stop with the name calling, I'm surprised you didn't credit a certain family with this story. I want to believe you're not a crackpot but you're beginning to worry me. You sometimes sound like the village idiot Vinyard boy whose family won't even let him wash dishes at their overpriced restaurant,,,,When I call names it's done tactfully....

Edited by Helpme2 (09/19/17 09:36 AM)

#1504867 --- 09/19/17 01:07 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
Holy crap! Are these new positions or are they filling ones that are empty? I saw a penn yan cop that I thought was a sheriff deputy at court the other night.

#1504875 --- 09/19/17 04:55 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
I heard a couple of deputies were going to or already have laterally transfered to the PYPD from the YCSO.

I have always thought they could cut some costs with the staffing in dispatch. They always used to have two dispatchers on all three shifts. Over the years they increased it to three on two of the three shifts and moved the head dispatcher out of the 911 room to a different area. I am not sure if they changed that situation back.

I can't hate the sheriff for asking for more staffing. The legislators are responsible for controlling the purse strings, apparently they don't like to say no.

Edited by Mean Gene (09/19/17 04:56 PM)

#1504880 --- 09/19/17 07:16 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
sarge1m19 Offline

Loc: yates county ny
The positions are not new, they are to fill recent vacancies.

#1504882 --- 09/19/17 08:07 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: Helpme2]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Helpme2
I actually agree with Gassy on this one. For a small county we appear to have more crime than Chicago. By the way Gassy stop with the name calling, I'm surprised you didn't credit a certain family with this story. I want to believe you're not a crackpot but you're beginning to worry me. You sometimes sound like the village idiot Vinyard boy whose family won't even let him wash dishes at their overpriced restaurant,,,,When I call names it's done tactfully....
LOL!

#1504883 --- 09/19/17 08:08 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: sarge1m19]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: sarge1m19
The positions are not new, they are to fill recent vacancies.
I understand that but we are way overstaffed for similar counties of our size! If you believe Gardner crime is down 30% right Gene? LOL!

#1504887 --- 09/19/17 10:51 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
Mean Gene Offline

When I recently looked at the DCJS stats for "violent crime" it was down a tad over 30% over the last three years. There is not much "violent crime" in Yates County so the percentage is based on small numbers.

#1504931 --- 09/20/17 07:51 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: Mean Gene]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Kudos to the law enforcement officers for doing a great job at crime prevention. Your residents in Yates county should be proud.

#1505060 --- 09/22/17 11:23 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: py.eternal.cynic
Kudos to the law enforcement officers for doing a great job at crime prevention. Your residents in Yates county should be proud.
Proud of paying for the highest cost of LE for a county of our size in the state! I don't think so! It won't change till we get some of Spikes cronies off the legislature which won't be till he gets his new jail!

#1505075 --- 09/23/17 02:20 AM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
cheesehead Offline

Loc: PY, Yates County, NY
Gassy's memory is short. A jail should have been built years ago. The county government at the time decided to spend money on the courthouse and county building instead.

#1505080 --- 09/23/17 07:09 AM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
Mean Gene Offline

cheehead, the new jail was built in 1977. If they build a new jail in the next five years that means we only obtained 45 years service out of it. They also did an addition to increase the maximum occupancy from 30+ to around 60 inmates.

I think the old jail was used for around 70+ years. The crime rate in Yates county is low. Neither it or the population has changed that much over time. The cost of operating the jail has increased dramatically because the State changed the rules of how inmates ares supervised. It is ridiculous that they require a guard to be physically assigned to each block. There is no reason video surveillance shouldn't be allowed in lieu of.

The County needs the state to relax the rules on supervising inmates. Either that or close costly areas of the jail. Alternatives to Incarceration and boarding out prisoners to adjoining counties may be more cost effective. Those who are a threat to society need to be held, others can and should be released pending court action.

#1505082 --- 09/23/17 08:23 AM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: Mean Gene]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
cheehead, the new jail was built in 1977. If they build a new jail in the next five years that means we only obtained 45 years service out of it. They also did an addition to increase the maximum occupancy from 30+ to around 60 inmates.

I think the old jail was used for around 70+ years. The crime rate in Yates county is low. Neither it or the population has changed that much over time. The cost of operating the jail has increased dramatically because the State changed the rules of how inmates ares supervised. It is ridiculous that they require a guard to be physically assigned to each block. There is no reason video surveillance shouldn't be allowed in lieu of.

The County needs the state to relax the rules on supervising inmates. Either that or close costly areas of the jail. Alternatives to Incarceration and boarding out prisoners to adjoining counties may be more cost effective. Those who are a threat to society need to be held, others can and should be released pending court action.
You know that's where they are going because they keep saying the county building will be payed off in 2020! What happened to the regional jail concept with Schuyler county?

#1505093 --- 09/23/17 11:18 AM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
cheesehead Offline

How did the primary election or how will the general election effect the current legislatures? Good, bad, same (whatever that means to you)?

#1505103 --- 09/23/17 03:44 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: cheesehead]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: cheesehead
How did the primary election or how will the general election effect the current legislatures? Good, bad, same (whatever that means to you)?
About the same! Spike's cronies are still gonna be there!

#1505120 --- 09/23/17 05:29 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

True, I think morris, and crew,should call for another study, maybe that will help things along....lol

#1505129 --- 09/23/17 08:26 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: gassy one]
cheesehead Offline

I agree with some legislature's opinion on some matters and disagree with them on others. Just like normal people I interact with. If I cast my vote for a candidate and I am not happy with their stance on some matters or their performance, if they get elected, I cast my vote against them in the next race. Some people I have voted for have not been elected. Some have. This is our process. From POTUS on down to state or county or municipal or school board level. If some are not happy with an elected official, vote them out. Don't just complain about them.

#1505134 --- 09/23/17 09:40 PM Re: Spike gets his way [Re: cheesehead]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: cheesehead
I agree with some legislature's opinion on some matters and disagree with them on others. Just like normal people I interact with. If I cast my vote for a candidate and I am not happy with their stance on some matters or their performance, if they get elected, I cast my vote against them in the next race. Some people I have voted for have not been elected. Some have. This is our process. From POTUS on down to state or county or municipal or school board level. If some are not happy with an elected official, vote them out. Don't just complain about them.
The problem with that is once you are in The OLE Boys club you are in for a long time!