FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1504792 --- 09/15/17 08:36 AM Is hate among us? Oh my!
Kells Offline

http://fingerlakes1.com/2017/09/14/reports-geneva-officer-posted-racist-memes-to-facebook/

http://www.fltimes.com/news/city-cop-s-f...m_medium=social

What is going on in our fair (pardon the pun) city?!

I saw the city's Facebook post about the city not tolerating bigotry and being deverse etc. and wondered what was going on.

I remember when a city employee created a gigantic Trump/Pence yard sign before the election. That action was the catalyst for so many conversations across the community. Was the sign legal? It appeared to be - and, to be fair, a similar sign supporting the candidacy of City Councilor Gordon Eddington had been hanged in the same yard the year before. Was it in poor taste, an affront to the many citizens of Geneva who embrace diversity over the ethnocentrism being touted then by the Trump campaign? Opinions were mixed, but many seemed to come out against it for its sheer size. When balloons were hung for Trump's birthday on the same property, it seemed overkill to many. Then white supremacists in Virginia actually killed someone protesting Nazis, and the people rabidly supporting Trump went into the shadows a bit.

The shadows, I've said all along, is the last place we want these people. And now, it seems, another city employee with Trump-like views may have been brought into the light. There will almost certainly be spirited debate, again. First amendment rights to post material as racist/xenophobic as one wants to post on his or her own time? Or does the city have a responsibility to ensure that those who represent it don't hold - or, at least, publicly express - these types of beliefs? Hmm.

At least one thing should be clear: the fact that a city employee felt so comfortable posting a huuuuuuge Trump yard billboard, and birthday balloon yard celebration... and the fact that a city police officer felt so comfortable posting confederate flags and "trust me, I'm white" messages on Facebook... may just be an indication that holding these types of beliefs isn't as frowned upon within the City of Geneva as some expressed here that they wished it to be.

We'll all be waiting and watching to see what happens next. In the meantime I sure hope people will take the city manager up on his request. If you witness discrimination, harassment, racism, or hate speech, report it to a city councilman or leader.

And I'll add this: report it to EVERY city councilman. And every city leader. And to the Finger Lakes Times, and FingerLakes1, and the Geneva Believer, and [insert any new publications here]. Share it on Facebook, even. Our goal should be to bring people expressing racist, bigoted, and/or homophobic views into the light.

Edited by Kells (09/15/17 08:37 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1504804 --- 09/15/17 07:55 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Kells]
gassy one Offline

This person has a legal right to express his opinions on his own time whether you like the message or not! These are his first amendment rights! No where have I seen that his comments were posted on city time or affected his job performance! Just because you don't like the message doesn't give you the right to censor it!

#1504806 --- 09/16/17 06:06 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Kells]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
You being offended doesn't negate others right to free speech.
There are extremists on BOTH sides.

#1504807 --- 09/16/17 08:23 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Roadtrip2nowhere
There are extremists on BOTH sides.

Extremism in the fight AGAINST bigotry and racism is NOT comparable to the extremism OF bigotry and racism. Not even close.

#1504808 --- 09/16/17 08:25 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: gassy one
This person has a legal right to express his opinions on his own time whether you like the message or not! These are his first amendment rights! No where have I seen that his comments were posted on city time or affected his job performance! Just because you don't like the message doesn't give you the right to censor it!

He does NOT have the right to violate the city's sign ordinances. As has already been pointed out, he was indeed in violation of multiple codes.

#1504814 --- 09/16/17 09:03 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]
scwoodchuck Online   content

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: Timbo

He does NOT have the right to violate the city's sign ordinances. As has already been pointed out, he was indeed in violation of multiple codes.
Where did you get that he was in violation ? Are you inventing your own facts again ?

#1504818 --- 09/16/17 10:49 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Kells]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
Police officersare supposed to treat everyone fairly. If one is posting online about a propensity to discriminate against minorities, that's a cause for concern.

That being said, sometimes people make dumb jokes that don't reflect how they actually behave on the job.

#1504824 --- 09/16/17 01:23 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

The sign violated size and placement restrictions, as well as those limiting the length of time signs can be displayed.

Think you can wrap your little head around that concept?

#1504825 --- 09/16/17 07:02 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]

Wrap your little head around this-
http://www.fltimes.com/news/update-horn-...d443e47a46.html

"UPDATE: Horn says city resident's huge Trump sign is legal"

Edited by scwoodchuck (09/16/17 07:03 PM)

#1504828 --- 09/16/17 10:03 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

Two different people! If you don't know what you are talking about don't comment! I guess that means bye bye for you! LOL!

#1504830 --- 09/16/17 10:06 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

The sign violated size and placement restrictions, as well as those limiting the length of time signs can be displayed.

Obviously you can't get it right! OH BOY!

#1504841 --- 09/17/17 03:01 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Wrong. An individual does not have the right to public obscenity. It depend on whether or not the speech is ruled to be obscene. Certain hate speech CAN and occasionally is. But hate speech itself is not limited under the Constitution.

#1504842 --- 09/17/17 03:01 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Obviously you didn't read the first post of this thread.

#1504843 --- 09/17/17 03:05 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck

I've read the codes and and I've seen the sign, both repeatedly. The sign did NOT meet the size, location and time restrictions.

Horn is wrong. Period.

#1504844 --- 09/17/17 03:09 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Not without limitations and not when it threatens to undermine the "brand"or ability to carry out your employer's primary function. Especially in the case of public servants.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/...html/?a=viewall

#1504845 --- 09/17/17 09:49 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

Obviously you didn't read the first post of this thread.
Obviously you have no clue as usual!

#1504846 --- 09/17/17 09:51 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

I've read the codes and and I've seen the sign, both repeatedly. The sign did NOT meet the size, location and time restrictions.

Horn is wrong. Period.
In your opinion which amounts to zilch!

#1504847 --- 09/18/17 05:34 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]

Timbo, I suggest you go to the Geneva Believers blog where they only allow one sided propaganda and block and delete any opposing views or anything that may resemble the truth. grin

#1504848 --- 09/18/17 05:48 AM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Timbo]

Horn is wrong. Period.
Did you read this, " City Manager Matt Horn said the sign is legal, but he is unsure whether its illumination abides by city codes.

“Political signs are specifically exempted from the city code/zoning text regulations,” he said Saturday. “ So you can't even read a 2 sentence quote from the newspaper and you want us to believe that you read the codes and understood them perfectly.

#1506862 --- 10/20/17 06:22 PM Re: Is hate among us? Oh my! [Re: Kells]
Mr. 2U Offline

Loc: Were ever there is danger
What I don’t understand is that the city counsel is going after a gpd officers job for his comments 5 years ago, but city counselor Marino had three arrestable domestic violence incidents and is still on the city counsel!!! How is this fair?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >