Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1507801 --- 11/01/17 01:35 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Nice try.

Angelo failed to get rid of Judge Bender and he is going to fail this time. His influence isn't what it used to be.
Angelo's interest in local politics isn't what it used to be either.

Looks like he has an interest in the DA race.

FingerLakes1.com
#1507839 --- 11/02/17 03:35 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: kyle585
Nice try.

Angelo failed to get rid of Judge Bender and he is going to fail this time. His influence isn't what it used to be.
Angelo's interest in local politics isn't what it used to be either.
Opportunity To Ballot petition invalidated

By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com Aug 8, 2017
WATERLOO –– There will not be a Working Families Party primary election for Seneca County district attorney in September.

State Supreme Court Justice William Taylor ruled from the bench Monday, invalidating an Opportunity To Ballot petition filed in July. He ruled after hearing testimony and reviewing documents.

Taylor ruled that only one valid signature remained on the petition, which needs at least six valid signatures of Working Families Party members.

Taylor ruled after hearing testimony and reviewing documents presented by attorney Michael Burger, representing Working Families Party member and petitioner Shirley Sobczak of Waterloo and incumbent District Attorney Barry Porsch.

Porsch, a Republican, has the Working Families Party line. The Opportunity To Ballot petition would have allowed Joseph Sapio, his Republican primary opponent, or any other person, to have their name written in at the Sept. 12 primary. Porsch and Sapio will square off in the Sept. 12 Republican Party primary.

Testimony was given by Working Families Party members Domenick Paradise, Larry and Wendy Barnhart, Cynthia and Paul Hooper, Timothy Fitzpatrick and Teresa Gillotti. All seven confirmed that they signed the OTB petition. But Burger asked each one if the person soliciting their signature administered an oath or had them swear or attest that the information they provided was true. All seven said no.

Burger argued that state election law on petitions requires that the signature either be witnessed by a person or the signer be under oath or attest that the information they provide is true.

Otherwise, he said, the signatures are not valid.

Ruth Same, one of two county election commissioners, testified as to the accuracy of various documents filed with the elections office, including the Working Families Party OTB petition. Same testified that at least six valid signatures are needed. The Board of Elections upheld the petition, invalidating one signature because of a discrepancy in the address. The challenge included allegations of fraud, which the commissioners said was beyond their purview.

The petition was signed by notary public Angelo Bianchi, the former Seneca County Republican Party chairman. Several signers testified that the person seeking their signatures had a first name of Angelo, but they did not know the last name.
Peter Corning, attorney for the Working Families Party vacancy committee members Michael Hagadorn, Jennafer Heffernan and Melody Reynolds, said the three did not have a position on the matter. In fact, they did not know their names were put on the petition. County Attorney Frank Fisher, representing the Board of Elections, also took no position.

“Under law, the person obtaining signatures on a political petition must administer an oath or the signer must attest to the truthfulness of what they are signing,’’ Taylor said.”Here we have unrefuted testimony that the notary did not administer an oath or swear to its truthfulness, invalidating the petition. All seven testified credibly they were not put under oath or sworn,’’ he said. “The petitioners have met the burden of proof,’’ Taylor said.

The ruling comes as the board of elections faces a Friday deadline to submit the list of candidates for the Sept. 12 primary ballot printing.

Porsch issued a written statement after Taylor’s ruling.

“Angelo Bianchi was under a court-ordered subpoena to testify, but his lawyer advised the court that he went to Canada for a vacation,’’ he said.

“Our evidence showed that after Bianchi improperly obtained the signatures on the petition, he handed it over to the Sapio campaign and Joseph Sapio filed it with the Board of Elections,’’ Porsch said.
Porsch claimed Bianchi and Sapio are “close political allies.’’

“The three persons named on the petition as a committee to receive notices, through their attorney, filed a letter with the court stating that they had no prior notice that their names would be used on the petition,’’ he said. “The Working Families Party and myself are thankful that the Supreme Court Justice invalidated the petition filed by Sapio and restore integrity and honesty to the election process in Seneca County,’’ he concluded.

#1507849 --- 11/02/17 06:23 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Got news for you, nobody, on the State level, Federal level or local level follows the rules exactly as they should.

#1507853 --- 11/02/17 06:57 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

So much for "drain the swamp". (Hint-Russians are bad). Now politics as usual is ok.

Angelo and his 7 followers fail.

#1507863 --- 11/02/17 08:23 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Got news for you, nobody, on the State level, Federal level or local level follows the rules exactly as they should.
Are they all this bad?

*********************************************************************************

Before anyone casts a vote for Mr. Sapio as some sort of "anti political establishment” candidate I urge them to remember the adage, “You are judged by the company you keep." The recruiter and major supporter of Mr. Sapio is Angelo Bianchi. As reported by the FLT on 6/27/2007, while Republican County chairman, Mr. Bianchi pleaded guilty to accepting and cashing checks totaling $5,450 meant for the Nozzolio for Senate campaign and “redistributing the money to various campaigns in his own name, disguising the identity of the original contributors." As part of the plea deal, he was “barred from membership in the Republican Committee and directly or indirectly trying to influence its activities, including decisions about candidates to support.”

More troubling is an FLT article from 9/11/2003 that outlines Bianchi’s operating style as chairman. Former Fayette Supervisor Robert Peterman stated, “The problem is he’s an old-fashioned politician who believes in obligations and he gets you, and you sell your soul to him.” The article further outlines Bianchi’s attempts to pressure the Board of Supervisors to replace members of boards with people supervisors felt were unqualified.

Former BOS Chairman Robert Favreau felt “Bianchi has been a great fund raiser…, but … has become aggressive in what the Board of Supervisors does, the things it votes on, and people who are hired. "I guess you’re talking about a dictatorship ...”

TINA COVILLE-BAUDER

Ovid

#1507886 --- 11/02/17 12:36 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Are they all this bad ? You ask. Let me start out by saying that the Republican party has gone to hell since Angelo stepped down. Now, have you ever met the Democratic party chairman ? That guy makes Angelo look like a saint.

Edited by scwoodchuck (11/02/17 12:37 PM)

#1507897 --- 11/02/17 01:27 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Let me start out by saying that the Republican party has gone to hell since Angelo stepped down.
You mean forced out for breaking the law.

#1507898 --- 11/02/17 01:29 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Now, have you ever met the Democratic party chairman ? That guy makes Angelo look like a saint.
Have he done illegal activities that you are aware of?

#1507917 --- 11/02/17 04:48 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

District Attorney Barry Porsch, a former steelworker for 9 years,
is honored to have been endorsed by the following unions:.

United Steelworkers of America, Local Union 3298, at Goulds Pumps
Seneca Falls Police Benevolent Association
New York State Police Investigators Association

#1507926 --- 11/02/17 05:54 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

Petition "signer" with a Porsch sign in their front yard....priceless.

#1507927 --- 11/02/17 06:00 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Petition "signer" with a Porsch sign in their front yard....priceless.
A Working Families petition signer?

#1507929 --- 11/02/17 06:07 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: newsman38]
Top Dog Offline

Yes. I attest to it. Swear. Can even take an oath that I saw it tonight.

#1508006 --- 11/03/17 12:33 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Yes. I attest to it. Swear. Can even take an oath that I saw it tonight.
Are you a notary? grin

#1508060 --- 11/03/17 02:57 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
Top Dog Offline

Angelo is!

#1508103 --- 11/04/17 02:54 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

With Porsch getting the Republican and Democratic lines, I can't imagine Sapio getting over 20-25%. I don't know why he is even trying.

#1508139 --- 11/04/17 06:29 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

I got two big glossy flyers today from Porsch. Nothing from Sapio. I wonder if Sapio sees the handwriting on the wall?

#1508144 --- 11/04/17 09:37 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
I got two big glossy flyers today from Porsch. Nothing from Sapio. I wonder if Sapio sees the handwriting on the wall?

He's still got his wife screeching on Facebook

#1508148 --- 11/05/17 04:55 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
With Porsch getting the Republican and Democratic lines, I can't imagine Sapio getting over 20-25%. I don't know why he is even trying.
It wouldn't be the first time Seneca County voters got it WRONG ! crazy

#1508153 --- 11/05/17 07:34 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Hello_Governer]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
It wouldn't be the first time Seneca County voters got it WRONG ! crazy
I can't imagine the voters getting it this wrong when one candidate has the endorsement of both the Republican and Democratic parties. That is rare that that happens. Sometimes at the town level but very rare at the county level. I suspect that half of those party voters vote the party line no matter who is on it.

#1508167 --- 11/05/17 12:25 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Maybe the Democratic chairman owes Porsch a favor grin

Edited by Hello_Governer (11/05/17 12:26 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >