FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1507560 --- 10/30/17 07:39 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
No doubt Bianchi still has followers but he has lost a lot of ground. I can't comment on the party having defectors but Waterloo has proven to be a complete fail.

FingerLakes1.com
#1507577 --- 10/30/17 10:26 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Almost forgot, keep in mind that a lot of Republicans are leaving the party.
Really? In Seneca County? I had not heard this before.

#1507579 --- 10/30/17 11:52 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Voter turnout for the Republican party is terrible in Waterloo. The Town of Waterloo Republican Committee is incompetent and lazy.

#1507595 --- 10/30/17 03:59 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

Maybe when someone loses in the primary they should consider ending the campaign. Try running one candidate for one seat. Republican vote split last time gave mayor another term. He is about as approachable as the Dem voted in to Town Council. It sure doesn't look good for the Republican cause there.

It also appears that there is a petition issue with the Republican Supervisor that could explode soon. At least he had more than 7 supporters....we think.

I don't know about defectors, but it looks like a mess to me.

#1507630 --- 10/31/17 06:45 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Former sheriff weighs in on Seneca scandal

By CRAIG FOX Sep 30, 2007

WATERLOO - Former Seneca County Sheriff Tom Fox has been watching with interest the scandal that's rocking the department he led for 12 years.

And while he'd only speculate off-the-record on whose names are in the grand jury's eight sealed reports, Fox said he wonders how their contents will affect the sheriff's election in November and the department's remaining staff.

"We'll have to wait and see,” he said last week.

Fox took over the department in 1992 and announced his retirement before the 2003 election, when voters put Leo Connolly in office. Now Connolly and his former undersheriff face several felony and misdemeanor charges, including perjury and official misconduct for the sheriff and grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property for James R. Larson.

"I think it's very sad to see,” Fox said, noting that when he left the department it was running within budget and that he has seen some of the programs he initiated go by the wayside under Connolly.

Both men are Republicans, and Fox said that after he helped Connolly get elected, he was never asked for help or advice, adding "I didn't have two conversations with him after he took office.”

But he remembered Larson - whom he hired for a part-time deputy's job - as a capable professional. He recalled that Larson scored a 100 on the Civil Service exam and took on every assignment given to him.

"I had no fault with his job. It was flawless,” Fox said, pointing out that it was Connolly's responsibility to keep an eye on him.

In defending his client, Connolly's attorney, Robert Napier, has told reporters that Larson was a rogue cop and that Connolly wasn't aware of the illegal activities mentioned in Larson's indictment.

Napier has also said that some of Larson's personnel files were missing - those regarding his history with the banking industry and allegations that he'd forged proxy votes at the former Savings Bank of the Finger Lakes - so Connolly didn't have that information when he appointed him undersheriff soon after taking office.

According to Department of the Treasury documents dated Sept. 27, 1995, its Office of Supervision found that Larson had violated federal regulations in October 1994 by signing some depositors' names - without their authorization - to proxy cards during the controversial vote on whether the bank should go public.

Fox denies knowing anything about what happened with Larson at the bank because Larson was never arrested for it; and he said he never saw any documents pertaining to the Treasury office's accusations.

Acknowledging that he, former county GOP Chairman Angelo Bianchi and other committee members recommended Larson for the undersheriff's job, Fox said it was ultimately Connolly's decision.

He denied rumors that Bianchi told Connolly to appoint Larson.

Bianchi, who was unavailable for comment Friday, was forced to resign the chairmanship after he pleaded guilty in June to violating state election law by improperly diverting campaign contributions.

Retired state trooper Fred Noyes said last week that he'd approached Connolly about being considered for undersheriff. Noyes, who knew Connolly from their involvement in the Elks Club, recalled attending a couple of campaign meetings for Connolly, and seeing Bianchi and Fox there.

About a month after their conversation, Connolly asked Noyes to meet for coffee and told him he'd "decided to go with someone else within the sheriff's department,” he recalled.

Noyes didn't know whom and had never met Larson, but he said he was surprised to hear later that he'd gotten the job because Larson had very little law enforcement experience, just a few years as a part-timer and time in the military.

Noyes acknowledged that he's now glad he didn't get the nod.

Fox said that while he's never been close friends with Connolly, he knew he'd worked for the state Racing and Wagering Board (monitoring bingo, racing and games of chance) and as an FBI agent out of the Rochester office.

After retiring, Fox left Seneca County and moved to Albany when then-Gov. George Pataki appointed him director of investigations for the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. It was the same position that Connolly had left to run for sheriff, but Fox denied that it was a trade.

"He left the position and I retired. It was a great opportunity,” Fox said, adding that his friend, Bianchi, certainly supported his efforts to get the Albany job and could have nixed it.

#1507640 --- 10/31/17 09:29 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: newsman38]
Top Dog Offline

Jack cleaned a lot of that up and Tim is doing a great job. Integrity is back at the highest elected official in the county.

#1507669 --- 10/31/17 01:07 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Finger Lakes Times on October 29, 2017.

To the Editor:

In his bid for Seneca County District Attorney, Joe Sapio claims he is above politics. However, voters should realize that the man who truly places justice above politics is our current DA, Barry Porsch.

Since his election in 2010, DA Porsch has run an office where assistant DAs are hired and evaluated based on merit and performance not party affiliation. His office has the third highest successful DWI prosecution rate in New York state. He has 41 consecutive wins and no reversals at the Appellate Division level. He worked in a factory for 13 years before entering college and graduating from law school.

Why should we vote for his opponent who never has prosecuted a case? What reason would anyone have to support Sapio for DA?

Before anyone casts a vote for Mr. Sapio as some sort of "anti political establishment” candidate I urge them to remember the adage, “You are judged by the company you keep." The recruiter and major supporter of Mr. Sapio is Angelo Bianchi. As reported by the FLT on 6/27/2007, while Republican County chairman, Mr. Bianchi pleaded guilty to accepting and cashing checks totaling $5,450 meant for the Nozzolio for Senate campaign and “redistributing the money to various campaigns in his own name, disguising the identity of the original contributors." As part of the plea deal, he was “barred from membership in the Republican Committee and directly or indirectly trying to influence its activities, including decisions about candidates to support.”

More troubling is an FLT article from 9/11/2003 that outlines Bianchi’s operating style as chairman. Former Fayette Supervisor Robert Peterman stated, “The problem is he’s an old-fashioned politician who believes in obligations and he gets you, and you sell your soul to him.” The article further outlines Bianchi’s attempts to pressure the Board of Supervisors to replace members of boards with people supervisors felt were unqualified.

Former BOS Chairman Robert Favreau felt “Bianchi has been a great fund raiser…, but … has become aggressive in what the Board of Supervisors does, the things it votes on, and people who are hired. "I guess you’re talking about a dictatorship ...”

So I again ask, what reason would anyone have to support someone else for DA? Who do we want? A tested, dedicated, non-partisan public servant or a candidate recruited and supported by “an old-fashioned politician who believes in obligations”? Justice does indeed go beyond party lines. Barry Porsch deserves our support.

TINA COVILLE-BAUDER

Ovid

#1507695 --- 10/31/17 03:37 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Sapio has my vote and I think this letter is a little biased.

#1507749 --- 10/31/17 08:01 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Hello_Governer]
Emerald53 Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
Sapio has my vote

Of course he does. Rumor has it he's the landfill's handpicked candidate.

#1507750 --- 10/31/17 08:11 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Emerald53]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Emerald53
Sapio has my vote

And I heard the Russians are trying to influence the election crazy

#1507753 --- 10/31/17 08:40 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Wolf King Offline

Loc: The Forest
Sapio has my vote

That's been proven.

#1507761 --- 11/01/17 04:54 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Emerald53]
Top Dog Offline

Sapio has my vote

Not the landfill. Angelo Bianchi's handpicked candidate.

#1507762 --- 11/01/17 04:59 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Wolf King]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Wolf King
Sapio has my vote

That's been proven.
DUH

Edited by scwoodchuck (11/01/17 05:00 AM)

#1507763 --- 11/01/17 05:05 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Almost every candidate goes to Angelo for advice, that doesn't mean Angelo picked them.

#1507766 --- 11/01/17 05:46 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
Top Dog Offline

Nice try.

Angelo failed to get rid of Judge Bender and he is going to fail this time. His influence isn't what it used to be.

#1507767 --- 11/01/17 06:14 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Almost every candidate goes to Angelo for advice, that doesn't mean Angelo picked them.
Mr. Bianchi pleaded guilty to accepting and cashing checks totaling $5,450 meant for the Nozzolio for Senate campaign and “redistributing the money to various campaigns in his own name, disguising the identity of the original contributors." As part of the plea deal, he was “barred from membership in the Republican Committee and directly or indirectly trying to influence its activities, including decisions about candidates to support.”

#1507783 --- 11/01/17 10:24 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: kyle585]
Top Dog Offline

I guess technically that ended when the Republicans voted Sapio out in the primary.

#1507784 --- 11/01/17 10:28 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: newsman38]
Top Dog Offline

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Sapio is a bad guy.

1) He made a deal with the devil and Republicans know it.
2) Barry's convictions are making a vocal minority speak out.

#1507790 --- 11/01/17 11:35 AM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Nice try.

Angelo failed to get rid of Judge Bender and he is going to fail this time. His influence isn't what it used to be.
Angelo's interest in local politics isn't what it used to be either.

Edited by scwoodchuck (11/01/17 11:36 AM)

#1507793 --- 11/01/17 12:08 PM Re: DA Race: Porsch v Sapio [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Nice try.

Angelo's interest in local politics isn't what it used to be either.
Opportunity To Ballot petition invalidated

By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com Aug 8, 2017

WATERLOO –– There will not be a Working Families Party primary election for Seneca County district attorney in September.

State Supreme Court Justice William Taylor ruled from the bench Monday, invalidating an Opportunity To Ballot petition filed in July. He ruled after hearing testimony and reviewing documents.

Taylor ruled that only one valid signature remained on the petition, which needs at least six valid signatures of Working Families Party members.

Taylor ruled after hearing testimony and reviewing documents presented by attorney Michael Burger, representing Working Families Party member and petitioner Shirley Sobczak of Waterloo and incumbent District Attorney Barry Porsch.

Porsch, a Republican, has the Working Families Party line. The Opportunity To Ballot petition would have allowed Joseph Sapio, his Republican primary opponent, or any other person, to have their name written in at the Sept. 12 primary. Porsch and Sapio will square off in the Sept. 12 Republican Party primary.

Testimony was given by Working Families Party members Domenick Paradise, Larry and Wendy Barnhart, Cynthia and Paul Hooper, Timothy Fitzpatrick and Teresa Gillotti. All seven confirmed that they signed the OTB petition. But Burger asked each one if the person soliciting their signature administered an oath or had them swear or attest that the information they provided was true. All seven said no.

Burger argued that state election law on petitions requires that the signature either be witnessed by a person or the signer be under oath or attest that the information they provide is true.

Otherwise, he said, the signatures are not valid.

Ruth Same, one of two county election commissioners, testified as to the accuracy of various documents filed with the elections office, including the Working Families Party OTB petition. Same testified that at least six valid signatures are needed. The Board of Elections upheld the petition, invalidating one signature because of a discrepancy in the address. The challenge included allegations of fraud, which the commissioners said was beyond their purview.

The petition was signed by notary public Angelo Bianchi, the former Seneca County Republican Party chairman. Several signers testified that the person seeking their signatures had a first name of Angelo, but they did not know the last name.

Peter Corning, attorney for the Working Families Party vacancy committee members Michael Hagadorn, Jennafer Heffernan and Melody Reynolds, said the three did not have a position on the matter. In fact, they did not know their names were put on the petition. County Attorney Frank Fisher, representing the Board of Elections, also took no position.

“Under law, the person obtaining signatures on a political petition must administer an oath or the signer must attest to the truthfulness of what they are signing,’’ Taylor said.”Here we have unrefuted testimony that the notary did not administer an oath or swear to its truthfulness, invalidating the petition. All seven testified credibly they were not put under oath or sworn,’’ he said. “The petitioners have met the burden of proof,’’ Taylor said.

The ruling comes as the board of elections faces a Friday deadline to submit the list of candidates for the Sept. 12 primary ballot printing.

Porsch issued a written statement after Taylor’s ruling.

“Angelo Bianchi was under a court-ordered subpoena to testify, but his lawyer advised the court that he went to Canada for a vacation,’’ he said.

“Our evidence showed that after Bianchi improperly obtained the signatures on the petition, he handed it over to the Sapio campaign and Joseph Sapio filed it with the Board of Elections,’’ Porsch said.
Porsch claimed Bianchi and Sapio are “close political allies.’’

“The three persons named on the petition as a committee to receive notices, through their attorney, filed a letter with the court stating that they had no prior notice that their names would be used on the petition,’’ he said. “The Working Families Party and myself are thankful that the Supreme Court Justice invalidated the petition filed by Sapio and restore integrity and honesty to the election process in Seneca County,’’ he concluded.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >