FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1502431 --- 07/26/17 08:17 AM DA candidate's false residency statements?
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
The Bigger Picture:

In Yates County the race for district attorney is once again getting down and dirty. Free speech is one thing but when one opponent distributes what are being considered false allegations against his opponent is another thing all together.

That same candidate filed sworn statements under oath that his residency is at one address, and the petitions he filed state he lives at a completely different address — a big no-no.

Spencer Tulis /
Finger Lakes Times nyp2904@fltimes.com

FingerLakes1.com
#1502460 --- 07/26/17 07:45 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
helpme Offline

Loc: dresden
Fake newsman that's completely legal under New York State Election laws, CNN has a job for you.

Edited by helpme (07/26/17 07:47 PM)

#1502501 --- 07/27/17 08:21 AM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
helpme, apparently your steuben county candidate is confused about what his address is. Maybe he can straighten it out if there is a candidate forum.

#1502546 --- 07/28/17 10:08 AM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
French Pastry Offline

My question is why doesn't he go after the DA position in his home county of Wayne??? He wants to be closer to home, so why not challenge the DA there?? We already are blessed with a top notch DA in Valerie Gardner that has shown her class and dignity with an open and honest campaign, unlike the dirty and some may say questionably legal tactics of her opponent....I wonder if he learned his dirty ways at law school??

#1502558 --- 07/28/17 01:27 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Yates County Board of Elections Invalidates 3 of Casella's Petitions: In their final determinations after review of objections to the Independence Party, Reform Party and Conservative Party designating petitions filed by Todd Casella, Steuben County resident running for Yates County District Attorney, Yates County Board of Elections ruled on July 26, 2017 as follows:
  • Conservative Party Petition: Null and Void
  • Independence Party Petition: Null and Void
  • Reform Party Petition: Null and Void

#1502560 --- 07/28/17 02:59 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
French Pastry Offline

Well, there ya go!! NULL and VOID!! Now go play lawyer some place else!!!

#1502632 --- 07/31/17 08:36 AM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Yates County DA race gets testy

PENN YAN — A primary is set for Sept. 12 in the race for Yates County district attorney between incumbent Valerie Gardner and challenger Todd Casella, but the party lines where the incumbent and her challenger will do battle has narrowed.

Additionally, a challenge to Casella’s nominating petitions for the all-important Republican line is in question.

The Yates County Board of Elections confirmed on Friday that the designating petitions on three party lines filed by Casella have been ruled either invalid or null and void.

Casella’s nominating petitions were challenged by Penelope J. Marchionda, a member of the Yates County Republican Committee, according to campaign filings in 2016 with the state Board of Elections.

In the case of Casella’s nominating petitions for the Independence and Reform party lines, the Board of Elections ruled in favor of Marchionda, with reasons ranging from “invalid notary acknowledgement” to invalid signatures.

On the Conservative line, the Board of Elections ruled that the “candidate’s request for authorization to run on the Conservative line was not approved by the New York State Conservative Party.”

Casella’s designating petitions for the GOP line in the primary contained 664 signatures (331 are needed in Yates County) and they were deemed valid.

However, said Republican Election Commissioner Amy Daines, each challenge also contained an objection relating to Casella’s residency.

In various election filings, said Daines, there appear to be different home addresses reported by Casella.

However, the Board of Elections stated in its ruling that the residency issue was one that it could not by law rule on. Thus, Casella remains on the GOP line for the September primary.

Marchionda subsequently filed suit on Thursday, asking that Casella be pulled from the Republican line in the Sept. 11 primary. Casella and the Board of Elections’ Daines, as well as Democratic Commissioner Robert Brechko, are also named.

The matter is scheduled to before Justice John Ark in state Supreme Court in Rochester on Aug. 7.

By STEVE BUCHIERE sbuchiere@fltimes.com

#1502666 --- 07/31/17 09:34 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
gassy one Offline

It's the Marchionda syndrome again!

#1502677 --- 07/31/17 11:03 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

It is what it is! Remember Casella recently trying to make a big deal about Ms. Gardner's petitions in the last race? At least her errors were not her fault. His are clearly ignorance or just plain indifference.

#1502703 --- 08/01/17 10:17 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: Mean Gene]
gassy one Offline

At least her errors were not her fault.

I think there is a lot more to the story than what came out! I trust nobody locally because both parties have their little groups who are in cahoots with each other and don't want outsiders coming in!

#1502719 --- 08/02/17 08:12 AM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

I think we saw the whole story. I know the offender personally and he told me a serious lack of judgment on his part took place which ended up costing him dearly with a felony conviction. It also threw a cloud around Ms. Gardners campaign at the time until the whole story came out.

#1503013 --- 08/08/17 03:35 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Judge reserves decision on DA petitions:

New York State Supreme Court Judge John Ark heard arguments Monday in the two complaints filed against Yates County Board of Elections Commissioners regarding the commissioner’s decisions about objections to political petitions. The petitions had been filed by District Attorney hopeful Todd Casella, and the objections were filed by Penelope Marchionda, who is connected to Yates County District Attorney Valerie Gardner’s re-election campaign.

Casella is an assistant district attorney in Steuben County who is seeking a spot on the September primary ballot and the November general election ballot to challenge Gardner.

Yates County Attorney Scott Falvey says Ark has reserved his decision. The commissioners were hopeful Ark would rule in time to finalize the military primary ballots, which must be mailed Friday, Aug. 11.

Marchionda objected to Casella’s Republican, Independence, and Reform petitions. The commissioners found in favor of Marchionda’s objections to the Independence and Reform petitions, but did not rule on the Republican petition objection. Marchionda is asking Ark to rule on the validity of the Republican petitions. Casella is asking Ark to overrule the commissioner’s decision on the Independence and Reform petitions.

#1503021 --- 08/08/17 05:24 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

Thanks newsman for the credible report!

#1503489 --- 08/16/17 06:50 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
helpme Offline

Update Casella wins both election law lawsuits so why hasn't Brian Williams reported this? Newsman here is a little tip Gardner is filing a appeal to the 4 department in this matter.

#1503616 --- 08/19/17 02:08 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

Maybe she will get a review from a panel of judges who don't have an office on the same floor as Judge Ark? Seems though Mr. Casella may be related to Judge Affronti who has an office on the same floor as Judge Ark. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to spread any false rumors!! smile

#1503617 --- 08/19/17 03:17 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: Mean Gene]
helpme Offline

The appeal hearing paid for by the fooled donors of Gardner will be heard Wednesday, even when you are wrong you think you are right just like Val. What you are saying is that both Judge Affronti and Judge Ark conspired with Yates County's 'next" District Attorney Todd Casella to throw the Court's ruling, so as to insure Mr.Casella is on the ballot and therefore Gardner will be forced to let the voters decide the outcome of the race which she doesn't want.

#1503644 --- 08/19/17 09:18 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: Mean Gene]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
Maybe she will get a review from a panel of judges who don't have an office on the same floor as Judge Ark? Seems though Mr. Casella may be related to Judge Affronti who has an office on the same floor as Judge Ark. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to spread any false rumors!! smile
So tell me Gene why is Gardner so afraid of letting the people have a choice in the election?

#1503660 --- 08/19/17 11:07 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

Gee, I didn't know she was afraid, I think its called politics, its a dirty business. You can rest assured if Casella found some mistakes in Gardner's petition he would be doing the same thing.

Gassy, do you think this young ADA from another county just decided on his own to seek this job? He was urged to run by some people in Yates who have a axe to grind with Ms. Gardner for beating their hand picked D.A. four years ago.

#1503713 --- 08/20/17 02:40 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: helpme]
helpme Offline

Originally Posted By: helpme
The appeal hearing paid for by the fooled donors of Gardner will be heard Wednesday, even when you are wrong you think you are right just like Val. What you are saying is that both Judge Affronti and Judge Ark conspired with Yates County's 'next" District Attorney Todd Casella to throw the Court's ruling, so as to insure Mr.Casella is on the ballot and therefore Gardner will be forced to let the voters decide the outcome of the race which she doesn't want.
MG tell me when Gardner loses her appeal will that also mean the 5 Fourth Department Judges also have conspired with the 2 lower Judges and Casella? MG your belief that 7 judges and one ADA would conspire to rig a ruling in a election because people want to get even with Gardner for defeating now Judge Cook in the election for Yates County District Attorney 4 years ago is crazy. MG why do you really dislike Judge Cook?

Edited by helpme (08/20/17 08:32 PM)

#1503721 --- 08/20/17 06:03 PM Re: DA candidate's false residency statements? [Re: Mean Gene]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
Gee, I didn't know she was afraid, I think its called politics, its a dirty business. You can rest assured if Casella found some mistakes in Gardner's petition he would be doing the same thing.

Gassy, do you think this young ADA from another county just decided on his own to seek this job? He was urged to run by some people in Yates who have a axe to grind with Ms. Gardner for beating their hand picked D.A. four years ago.
Doesn't matter to me! He's an outsider and not connected to YC which I like!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >