FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1502756 --- 08/02/17 09:02 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Sam the Sham]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Sam the Sham
All but the most strident libertarian would recognize that some land use regulation is appropriate to ensure health, safety and liveability.

That's not the same thing as dictating how much people should charge for rent, however. That tends to touch more on a private contract between parties, with a lesser degree of imminment public risk.

I suppose one could point to NYC's rent control laws as an example of telling landlords what they can charge. However, putting aside that Seneca Falls is not NYC, either in size or economic activity, there's a sizeable body of evidence that rent control laws can actually decrease the pool of affordable housing.

In any event, considering that SF derives much of its income from property taxes, and property taxes on rental properties are often based on income, why would SF want to reduce potential tax revenue by reducing landlord income?

And let's not forget the reason that rent control laws were instituted in the first place.

FingerLakes1.com
#1502757 --- 08/02/17 09:23 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
Sam the Sham Offline

Loc: USA
Yes. A world war.

#1502766 --- 08/03/17 02:38 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Sam the Sham]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

I suggest people review the long history of the past gross abuses by NY state property owners.

I also suggest studying up on the distinct difference between rent control and rent stabilization.

#1502770 --- 08/03/17 07:01 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
But they both lead to urban decay. When you start controlling how much a landlord can change for rent the property is usually neglected.

#1502777 --- 08/03/17 11:46 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Originally Posted By: Timbo

I suggest people review the long history of the past gross abuses by NY state property owners.

I also suggest studying up on the distinct difference between rent control and rent stabilization.

I suggest we stay grounded, along with on the topic. If anything is unfriendly here it's all the special interests and the anger that is brought to the table. People notice it.

#1502809 --- 08/04/17 02:51 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Top Dog]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

To ignore the special interest, is to ignore the core issues.

#1502810 --- 08/04/17 02:52 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
But they both lead to urban decay. When you start controlling how much a landlord can change for rent the property is usually neglected.

Where's your evidence to support that statement... respectfully?

#1502811 --- 08/04/17 05:12 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Really a good topic about something factual and you guys are discussing rent issues.

#1502813 --- 08/04/17 09:38 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Top Dog]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York

I suggest we stay grounded, along with on the topic. If anything is unfriendly here it's all the special interests and the anger that is brought to the table. People notice it.

[/quote]

A very interesting observation. However, the issue is definitely real regardless of what sidebar distractions are thrown in. Sneaky, snarky, snooty Seneca Falls has a little sunshine thrown on its elitist delusions.

#1502814 --- 08/04/17 10:25 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Top Dog Offline

No doubt. There is improvement needed.

That doesn't make the National Park a good welcome wagon.

#1502815 --- 08/04/17 10:38 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Here's Johnny Offline

Of course, it's their fault. I knew it. Just such a simple and clear non explanation.

#1502817 --- 08/04/17 11:35 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Five pages of discussion, no substantive discussion of the topic or self-reflection; no suggestions on how to create a friendlier, more open atmosphere.

Never change, FL1 forums.

#1502819 --- 08/04/17 11:52 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Here's Johnny Offline

Start by admitting things could be better what say you long time FL1 poster.....got any suggestions beyond the usual

#1502820 --- 08/04/17 11:55 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Here's Johnny Offline

Find ways to show hospitality each and every time you go out and encounter anyone, not just those you know.

Consider helping to show others how to present the best of themselves by following your example for you have done the same.

Visit the Park, show up and make a difference.

Edited by Here's Johnny (08/04/17 11:55 AM)

#1502821 --- 08/04/17 12:53 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Red22 Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny
Find ways to show hospitality each and every time you go out and encounter anyone, not just those you know.

Consider helping to show others how to present the best of themselves by following your example for you have done the same.

Visit the Park, show up and make a difference.

I guess I'm failing to see how the folks of Seneca Falls are unfriendly. Naturally, you're going to have jerks that live in all communities. I work downtown and hear nothing but great things from tourists. People tell me that Seneca Falls is a wonderful little town, that it's beautiful, and also charming. I can honestly say I have not heard one negative comment from a visitor regarding it as "unfriendly".

To make a public accusation that Seneca Falls is unfriendly, based off of the experience of one guy, is a tad bothersome, and to be honest, offensive.

I am 35 years old, went to school here, went to college in Rochester, work here, and reside here. I love it here, and I love the area. I work to make Seneca Falls a better place. I travel often and promote the Finger Lakes area nonstop. I contribute to travel forums as much as I can, giving props to Seneca Falls, ALWAYS.

This town isn't perfect, and some folks here are pretentious as hell, but what town is perfect?

Here's Johnny is right. Be the change you want to see in the world.

#1502822 --- 08/04/17 12:58 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Sneaky, snarky, snooty Seneca Falls has a little sunshine thrown on its elitist delusions.

Examples?

#1502825 --- 08/04/17 03:14 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Top Dog Offline

Start by admitting things could be better what say you long time FL1 poster.....got any suggestions beyond the usual

Good comment. I expressed on the 4th page of this discussion a direction that would help. Shovel ready locations invite investment. In other words, mowing the grass on the other side of the road at the Clam Man's isn't enough. We must have water, sewer, power and abatement. Bring in fresh investment and new people.

Downtown discussion is meaningless. Downtown will reflect success or failure, it won't create it.

#1502830 --- 08/04/17 04:36 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Red22]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
Quote:
To make a public accusation that Seneca Falls is unfriendly, based off of the experience of one guy, is a tad bothersome, and to be honest, offensive.

It's clear that Ranger came in with an agenda and would probably be a lot happier at a park in San Francisco, Berkeley or Ithaca. Or Greenwich Village

#1502835 --- 08/05/17 03:14 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: past tense]
DR. D Offline

Originally Posted By: past tense
Five pages of discussion, no substantive discussion of the topic or self-reflection; no suggestions on how to create a friendlier, more open atmosphere.

Never change, FL1 forums.

The Facebook post on this made all the above stuff look like a sewing circle.

#1502836 --- 08/05/17 03:17 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Top Dog]
DR. D Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Downtown will reflect success or failure, it won't create it.

This is where you are wrong, unless you are one of the good ol' boys offspring your stuff isn't succeeding in SF.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >